• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats, English Patriot! Jolly Good Show!

I must say this AARward is a Very Good Thing - good comments is what drives AAR writers like myself.

However - I've come to wonder a bit about the nomination process. I mean, many if not most Fan's of the Week are writers themselves, but I know of a few good fans that do not write. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Fan of The Week picked not by the previous FoTW but by the WritAAR of the Week?

The Yogi said:
Congrats, English Patriot! Jolly Good Show!

I must say this AARward is a Very Good Thing - good comments is what drives AAR writers like myself.

However - I've come to wonder a bit about the nomination process. I mean, many if not most Fan's of the Week are writers themselves, but I know of a few good fans that do not write. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Fan of The Week picked not by the previous FoTW but by the WritAAR of the Week?

I've thought about this idea as well . It makes sense to me in theory . But I also like the idea of fans paying it forward for being recognized . I think we may have also set enough of a precedence on the kind of fans that we like that perhaps those who aren't writers but become fans will choose someone similar to themselves etc . Something to think about , certainly .

Well, the current system has worked fine for quite a few years now, and if one looks at the list of past winners in the first post one will find quite a few winners how do not have an AAR to their names. I see no value in changing a working tradition.

stnylan said:
Well, the current system has worked fine for quite a few years now, and if one looks at the list of past winners in the first post one will find quite a few winners how do not have an AAR to their names. I see no value in changing a working tradition.
Agreed. Ideally, the previous fan is looking for another like-minded individual rather than who reads their own work. Much like the WoW should look around for other worthy writers, the FoW should be on the look-out for other worthy fans and if one is truly a good fan, it's never hard to spot someone else reading all over the place. The writer really doesn't have anything to do with this recognition, from my point of view (other than at times being the beneficiary to such good fans.)

Also, while it's a nice idea in theory, quite a few Writers of the Week struggle to nominate their own successor, letalone choosing a new Fan as well... Plus- part of the fun of the award is naming a new winner!

Oh, and congratulations English Patriot :D!

Well, I agree that the current system seems to work, but I think the logical counterpoint to Yogi's suggestion would be that the WotW choses the next FotW and the FotW choses the next WotW.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
Well, I agree that the current system seems to work, but I think the logical counterpoint to Yogi's suggestion would be that the WotW choses the next FotW and the FotW choses the next WotW.

Vann

That actually makes a great deal of sense!

Vann the Red said:

Vann

Unfortunately that would cut down the rewards given in the two categories by 50% and would deflate awards which , in the current schema of the growing population , would only serve to limit recognition of a lot of the great new writers and readers out there . Furthermore , the logic behind the WotW choosing a successor is that the quality of the writer chosen should be a security that the next successor is of comparable quality whereas a fan need not be of writing caliber to be a good fan of the week .

So, your argument is that a good fan can't judge good writing? This is why I threw the idea out there. To see who would bite on that.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
So, your argument is that a good fan can't judge good writing? This is why I threw the idea out there. To see who would bite on that.

Vann

Not at all , just reciting what the logic was behind the current system . I think that being an excellent writer requirement need not necessarily be a prereq for a Fan of the Week ; which ironically is what The Yogi was talking about when he first brought up the idea .

I think we should get back to eulogizing our good friend EP in this week long party of his and save these conversations for a new and separate thread perhaps ? The mods had already spoken on the issue but by no means is the debate a closed one unless they say so . Perhaps the mods would also be so kind as to transplant the posts discussing it to a new thread ? Just an idea .

*on the proper subject*

Congratulations EP!

What ho everyone!

Hell if I know whether its time to pass this on, but it seems like the right time. For this weeks Fan of the Week, I wanted to find someone, that had really spread himself out so to speak, that had encouraged WritAARs all over AARLand with their comments, and also, to bring new blood into the forefront of AARLand. So, in my regular trawls through AARland, searching for the suitable candidate, one name popped up time and again in every fora, and that was none other than Capibara!

Congratulations Capibara! Most certainly deserved! Come on up and say a bit about yourself!

Congratulations Capibara !

Indeed it is time for a fan and an excellent choice.

Congrats Capibara. :)

Feels like Capibara got it just yesterday. Now he's getting it again?

Well, in any case, congratulations.

Congratulations, Capibara! Great work -- I enjoy seeing your comments in my AAR, and I know you've been hitting quite a few others (as well as having your own AAR, which people should check out!).

I'm sorry I missed the debate which popped up earlier this week. I generally wait to see Fan of the Week drop below the top tier of threads, so I can use my comment to "bump" the thread. Seems like that strategy backfired on me, keeping me from seeing the issue come up.

I have to agree with Coz1 and Stnylan. NOt only has the FotW worked well for a long time (and WotW too), but I really think it's possible for a writer to have no idea who is generally a good fan. Some writers don't even read other AARs (I'll be honest -- I've been really in tunnel vision lately on my own AAR, because I haven't the time to peruse like I used to). But a fan, by the nature of being a fan, is constantly wandering, and seeing not just other AARs, but also who's commenting in other AARs. I really think it should stay as it is, though I respect your good reasons for feeling otherwise, Yogi & Vann.

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Congratulations!