• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice choice. Congratulations Director :)

. . BRAVO ! ! :D

Congratulations Director ! ! :cool:

coz1:
...Finally, it has been the custom that the originator or administrator of a project be the one to take charge when something like this happens. Thus, Renss is the man to look to in order to proceed. :p ;) :D

many thanks for the explanation ! ! :)

*Opens thread*

*Looks around*

*Doesn't see anyone else named 'Director'*

*Respects Rensslaer too much to tell him he made a mistake*

*Thinks hard*

My friends, I humbly accept this plaudit in the knowledge that I am not worthy. To be frank I do not spend the time on this forum that I should, nor do I read as much as my fellow authors deserve. We all receive 24 hours in every day and we each apportion that time out according to our priorities. I am simply not currently willing and able to spend four hours a day reading AARs, as I once did. That may change - in either direction - but that's how it is right now.

When you find you must cut down on reading time the temptation is to read only works and authors you already know. This results in exactly the sort of clique (apparent rather than real) that AARland is supposed to avoid. It also means that you will encounter few surprises, bad or good. Once upon a time, if we must have a full confession, I took great pride in devoting a hefty percentage of my reading time to authors I had never heard of (Cthulhu and merrick were two I found this way, early on in their careers. I'm not saying I had anything to do with making them the fine writers they are, just saying I had the pleasure of reading their work before they were famous.) You can also go read my contributions to the 'Gazette' wherein I promoted reading and encouraging new authors.

But somewhere along the line I began to lose steam: I found other games, I became bogged down in a tar-pit of an AAR, I knew depression and had to look for jobs. Somewhere in there I made the unconscious decision to only read authors who read and commented in my own work. If hack writing is literary masturbation, then 'I-read-yours-if-you-read-mine' is literary incest. It is not healthy for you, me or for the forum.

Then came 'Frontier', and whether it was the new and different game, the science-fictional genre, or my great good fortune, I found that not only did my old pals come along but I made new ones too - I would name them but inevitably I would leave out someone - that any man would be glad to call friends.

The point of this (there hasn't been a single band reference, coz1, so stop snickering) is: I challenge all of us, myself included, to go now and read a work by someone you don't already know. If it is good, drop a comment in the payment slot (that is how we pay for our entertainment, folks) and perhaps post over at the bAAR to tell the rest of us bees where the new sweet flower lies. Who knows? You might discover the next Storey, the new Yogi, the unknown canonized.

I know that gambling on the new makes a difference; once upon a time MrT, Lord Durham and Bismarck took a chance on me and changed my life.

Thank you for thinking of me for this award.

"And this one time, at band camp..." :p

Seriously - well said, Director. Very well said. :)

Congratulations, Director :)

Congratulations Director !

Congrats Director!

rcduggan said:
successor time?
Indeed, though we may let it slip a day since this is a holiday in America. Porter may well be off to visit family, or whatever.

Rensslaer

Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together and welcome the newest recipient of this award. He's a previous winner and a commentator of proven worth. I pass the torch onward to the fan who goes wherever he wants:

travelingfan.jpg

J. Passepartout

Congratulations !

Congrats J. Pass! :)