+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 345 FirstFirst ... 3 28 53 78 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 128 153 178 203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 6890

Thread: Fan of the Week: stnylan

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Congrats!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Congratulations canonized, whom I appear to have missed.

And also congratulations to EP.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Maharaja of Fenno-Scandia Ahura Mazda's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

Congratulations!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Congratulations, Canonized! Sorry I missed your turn!

You've done alot to keep the Forums running, well "fanned" and an interesting place to be, for newcomer and old timer alike! Your journalistic work, and your AAR are tremendous, especially the Canonized interviews, which you've incorporated into your AAR. Neat stuff!

And English Patriot! Congratulations!

What Canonized has to say about you is the epitome of the great fans we have and appreciate around here!

Care to tell us about yourself, how you got here, and what AARs you enjoy reading?

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    What ho! What ho!

Well this is something I hadn't expected to happen. As much as I try to spread myself across the AAR forums, time as always is a rather annoying restraint on oneself, however, I have managed to limpet myself onto some rather special AARs. Obviously, Canonized Timelines, Dr. Gonzo's Stiff Upper Lip, a Terribly British History is definately something everyone should read, and it makes me glad I'm not going up against it for favourite history book! Speaking of history, one cannot bear to leave out thrashing mad's epic, History of the White Eagle! But there's also, Derkaisers, The Golden Nation, Hajji Giray's Dept Unpaid, Crossfires by Atlantic Friend, Grayghost's Machurian Candidate, Garuda's House of Habsburg is a new one that is most enjoyable, and finally for a bit of fun, EvilSanta's Ein Bergvolk, Ein Österreich, Ein Schuschnigg!

And I could go on!

Well, about myself? Twenty years old, I'll be twenty one this march, surprising how time flies eh? But anyway, I'm currently at College, in the West Country, hoping to go on to University and study history, one of my great passions in life. In my spare time, I spend too much money, drink gin, do homework and play Paradox games, especially CK, the ability to place yourself in the game as a character is something I enjoy immensly, as you can see from the Woodhouse Dynasty! And it was CK that first brought me to write an AAR, I had been posting everynow and again since 2004 but never worked up the beans to undertake such a project. Other than that, I'm currently trying to discover a method of going back to the 30's or bringing them here somehow!

But obviously, there is one chap in particular that I owe a lot here too, the community here in AARland is second to none, so many AAR's have inspired, and even more WritAAR's have helped me out in so many ways. But I would never have been truly introduced to this wonderful place were it not for Canonized! My little piece, an alternate Gunpowder plot for Timelines set in motion and rather fantastic future for me in AARland, it was on Timelines that I first tried out Narrative, and subsequently on my own AAR. But more importantly, Timelines brought out a new AARland to me, one of cooperation and friendship, is it any wonder I keep coming back to comment and occasionally contribute to the sterling project!

So, thank you everyone! And I will see you when its time!

Mr. Woodhouse
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Crusader for Fun and Profit Murmurandus's Avatar
    200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Meerhout, Flanders, Belgium - Born in Brugge;)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canonized
    ...(yes yes , including you my good Murmurandus . You too are among these XD . Belgian Pride !) ...
    Oh, gosh, this tells an awful lot of my poor country...

Anyways, congratulations, Mr. Woodhouse. Maybe, just maybe, I find the time to read your epic...
    "May the Earth tremble with Beer... euh, Fear"

"Never change a winning avatar..."

"Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes."

Ubisoft EUII 1.09 ~ Strategy First Victoria 1.04 ~ Paradox CK Deus Vult ~ Paradox HoI2 Doomsday ~ Paradox EUIII Complete ~ Paradox EU: Rome Gold

Currently being a loser in Hattrick as FC MMDS (316966) as you could read here .

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III500k club

Congratulations, EP!

Vann

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congrats, EP.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Congrats, English Patriot! Jolly Good Show!

I must say this AARward is a Very Good Thing - good comments is what drives AAR writers like myself.

However - I've come to wonder a bit about the nomination process. I mean, many if not most Fan's of the Week are writers themselves, but I know of a few good fans that do not write. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Fan of The Week picked not by the previous FoTW but by the WritAAR of the Week?
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yogi
    Congrats, English Patriot! Jolly Good Show!

I must say this AARward is a Very Good Thing - good comments is what drives AAR writers like myself.

However - I've come to wonder a bit about the nomination process. I mean, many if not most Fan's of the Week are writers themselves, but I know of a few good fans that do not write. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Fan of The Week picked not by the previous FoTW but by the WritAAR of the Week?
    I've thought about this idea as well . It makes sense to me in theory . But I also like the idea of fans paying it forward for being recognized . I think we may have also set enough of a precedence on the kind of fans that we like that perhaps those who aren't writers but become fans will choose someone similar to themselves etc . Something to think about , certainly .
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Well, the current system has worked fine for quite a few years now, and if one looks at the list of past winners in the first post one will find quite a few winners how do not have an AAR to their names. I see no value in changing a working tradition.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stnylan
    Well, the current system has worked fine for quite a few years now, and if one looks at the list of past winners in the first post one will find quite a few winners how do not have an AAR to their names. I see no value in changing a working tradition.
    Agreed. Ideally, the previous fan is looking for another like-minded individual rather than who reads their own work. Much like the WoW should look around for other worthy writers, the FoW should be on the look-out for other worthy fans and if one is truly a good fan, it's never hard to spot someone else reading all over the place. The writer really doesn't have anything to do with this recognition, from my point of view (other than at times being the beneficiary to such good fans.)
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Also, while it's a nice idea in theory, quite a few Writers of the Week struggle to nominate their own successor, letalone choosing a new Fan as well... Plus- part of the fun of the award is naming a new winner!

Oh, and congratulations English Patriot !
    The Golden Nation- California (VIP) AAR
    WritAAR of the Week (24/6/07)
    Weekly AAR Showcase (7/11/07) (6/1/08)
    Character Writer of the Week (26/5/08)
    AARland Choice Favourite Vicky AAR, Overall (Q1 2008) (Q2 2008)
    AARland Choice Favourite Vicky AAR, Narrative (Q1 2008) (Q2 2008) (Q3 2008)

canonized on 20/01/08

Well, I agree that the current system seems to work, but I think the logical counterpoint to Yogi's suggestion would be that the WotW choses the next FotW and the FotW choses the next WotW.

Vann

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vann the Red
    Well, I agree that the current system seems to work, but I think the logical counterpoint to Yogi's suggestion would be that the WotW choses the next FotW and the FotW choses the next WotW.

Vann
    That actually makes a great deal of sense!
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Vann
    Unfortunately that would cut down the rewards given in the two categories by 50% and would deflate awards which , in the current schema of the growing population , would only serve to limit recognition of a lot of the great new writers and readers out there . Furthermore , the logic behind the WotW choosing a successor is that the quality of the writer chosen should be a security that the next successor is of comparable quality whereas a fan need not be of writing caliber to be a good fan of the week .
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

So, your argument is that a good fan can't judge good writing? This is why I threw the idea out there. To see who would bite on that.

Vann

So, your argument is that a good fan can't judge good writing? This is why I threw the idea out there. To see who would bite on that.

Vann
    Not at all , just reciting what the logic was behind the current system . I think that being an excellent writer requirement need not necessarily be a prereq for a Fan of the Week ; which ironically is what The Yogi was talking about when he first brought up the idea .

I think we should get back to eulogizing our good friend EP in this week long party of his and save these conversations for a new and separate thread perhaps ? The mods had already spoken on the issue but by no means is the debate a closed one unless they say so . Perhaps the mods would also be so kind as to transplant the posts discussing it to a new thread ? Just an idea .
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    -~= =~-

+ Reply to Thread