• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations, Grimreaper!

Step on up and tell us a little about yourself and what you like to read!

Rensslaer

I always enjoy a visit from GrimReaper

Congrats

congrats Grim :)

Hey, a comment is always worth a visit from the GrimReaper, right? ;) Congrats!

*picks up the mike* One-two-three, one-two-three. Anyone reading this? *slaps the mike* Ah yes, now we are on! Silence please *bangs the scythe in the floor*

Well, first of all thanks to Terraferma for choosing me, and to everyone who responded here. This was a very pleasant surprise indeed :)

I am a former system developer, having done both windows- and webapplications for four years. I have worked with Visual Basic, VB .NET, C#, ASP, SQL Server etc. Eventually I switched to become a massage therapist (no, the rough and unpleasant kind :D) and now I feel I am on the right track.

During the years I have played a variety of games, ranging from chess and FPS to strategy and MMORPG.

Regarding strategy I sometimes found that the map ended were I wanted to execute a flanking manouvre, so when I found PI's Hearts of Iron my heart jumped. Hooray, freedom at last!

When PI released HoI2, I felt it was far better. After that it was Doomsday, say no more.

I mostly read HoI2 and DD AAR's, closely followed by Victoria and Diplomacy. Some of the old ones I still read occasionally, just because they are really great.

After reading a few Victoria AAR's and a Diplomacy AAR I wanted to try them myself, so I bought them both recently.

At my spare time I practice and teach martial arts, jiu-jitsu to be precise.

Because of all the great AAR's I have read, I have also started to plan my own, which will be in the Doomsday category. There, I have said it out loud, no turning back now :rolleyes:

*looks around* Hmm, no one here is on my list today ;) Then I bid you all a good and prosperous day :)

Last edited:
Congratulations GrimReaper, nice work :)

Congratulations, GrimReaper!

ah interesting genre you play as you mentioned MMO, good speech :D . Looking forward to your AAR's then.

:rofl: I'm not sure I'd want someone handled the "Grim Reaper" as either my martial arts instructor or my massage therapist! Is your massage (the rough type) anything like your ju-jutsu?

And now the Grim Reaper warns us to prepare for his version of Doomsday! :rolleyes: Classic!

Congrats again, Grim. We'll look forward to the AAR!

Rensslaer

Thanks again to all replies, it feels really good :)

@Terraferma:
Yeah, MMORPGs are very addictive inventions. I still manage to turn my computer off every evening, though :D

@Rensslaer:
I dont think any of my students, and none of my massage clients know about my handle. If I tell them I make sure they are hooked first :D

I have practiced ju-jutsu (actually this is the spelling in Sweden where I live, jiu-jitsu is the original english spelling) for almost thirteen years now, vs the massage part, where I passed the certification exam in October. A few years head start, so to speak :D

Regarding the AAR, I pray for DD 1.3 to be released to (hopefully) squish a few bugs I feel could hamper the game I plan. I feel I have built a solid foundation regarding the format of pictures, the AAR itself and so on. I must be careful so I dont plan it to death, though.

Last edited:
GrimReaper said:
I have practiced ju-jutsu (actually this is the spelling in Sweden where I live, jiu-jitsu is the original english spelling)
That's actually bizarre.... That was entirely a typo on my part! :D

Actually, it makes sense. Certain things about language fascinate me, and one of them is phoneticism. Many Chinese and Arab and Russian names (since they use different alphabets and characters) are translated rather freely into Enlish or other European languages. Hence you get Qingdao/Tsingtao and Koran/Quran, Ghazim/Gosam, etc.

So if you say Ju-Jitsu fast, who's to say it's not spelled Ju-Jutsu? :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
That's actually bizarre.... That was entirely a typo on my part! :D

Actually, it makes sense. Certain things about language fascinate me, and one of them is phoneticism. Many Chinese and Arab and Russian names (since they use different alphabets and characters) are translated rather freely into Enlish or other European languages. Hence you get Qingdao/Tsingtao and Koran/Quran, Ghazim/Gosam, etc.

So if you say Ju-Jitsu fast, who's to say it's not spelled Ju-Jutsu? :D

Rensslaer
My English teacher taught that when a language evolves, it goes towards a simpler form. It never gets more complicated.

There are several styles of jiu-jitsu in Sweden (and a lot more in the rest of the world), the different spellings were created to separate the first styles that emerged.

ah you may have a point on the languages evolving into simpler forms, our vocab now is much smaller than it was in I think 50's and 60's. And yes MMO's are the devil, I have fought it off valiantly though :D