• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats Alfred Packer!

You know... As someone who comes from the land of Alfred Packer (the historical one), I am curious as to how you came by the name, and decided to take it upon yourself!

For those of you who don't know..... Hmm... Nope, I'll not bias Alfred's story! :D (no - don't look it up, let's wait to hear Alfred's take :rolleyes:)

Rensslaer

Well, way back in 1999, I was registering for a message board and "jcovington" was taken. I had just read an amusing story about how in the late 1980's, Congressional Republicans introduced a measure to rename the Congressional Cafeteria "The Alferd Packer Memorial Lunch Room." (back in the good old days, when the two parties could make still make silly jokes at each other) So, I picked that for the username, speed fingered and transposed the e and the r and never really worried about it. I've used it ever since.

The Real Alferd Packer was convicted of cannibalism in the 1870s and was set to be executed only to have it commuted to life in prison on a technicality (apparantly, he ate the people when Colorado was only a territory and was caught when it was a state, which created some sort of jurisdictional questions).

Also, at his trial, the judge is reputed to have said "Damn you Packer, you Republican son of a bitch, there were six registered Democrats in this county and you ate five of them!"

Later, his life was made into a musical, which is insane, but quite funny. All in all, the real-life Alferd Packer has added such joy to my life - not just the real story of his life, but also the Congressional joke and the Trey Parker movie, that just typing the name into the logon screen brings me happiness.

(everything in quotes is paraphrased)

Mildly disturbing??? :confused: ;):D

Anyway, congrats...

Okay, since I've been on pretty sporadic the last couple of weeks, I am going to pass this off early rather than late and give the next winner a few bonus days in the Sun.

This is a tough one to choose a successor for. Many of the people I thought of first have already won this award (some, more than once! - which they deserved), so I decided to choose someone who, so far as I know, 1 - hasn't won before, 2 - exhibits great taste by (as far as I know) not actually reading anything I write.

I see him posting in other AARs I read, he has a cool user name, and he shows a real love of AARLand as a commentator, as a Librarian as as keeper of the ACA archive (which seems to be quite a lot of work)

I give you: The Swert!

Congratulations Swertsome :D Well deserved !

Congratulations! :)

Congrats Swert!

Congratulations!

Congratulations The Swert :)

Nice call. Congratulations!

Huzzah!

Well this comes as a surprise for me, my first weekly award. I never would have thought my first weekly award would be the Fan of the Week though, especially after my scathing review of Timelines :D. I'm not a big reader of aars with most of my time diverting to either writing, playing or modding but I suppose I did need to read through hundreds of aars to compile the EU2 Library, sadly it's now almost a graveyard. It's true Mr Packer that I have never read one of your aars, never been much in the CK area but your Croven Clan does look interesting, if only it wasn't 36 pages long.

I supposed this isn't a bad time to put forth my all time favourite aar, unfortunately the aar has been shoved away into the depths of the Hoi1 forums. It's the brilliant PostcAARds From Australia by Wolfhound with great graphics and lovely comedy and drama. I want Wolfhound to return.

I'd like to thank Alfred Packer for the nomination and his kind words about my username, unlike yours this was my first and only choice :).