• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations, Lord Durham!

Well well well ;)

If doesn't rain it pours :D

Not only is he out of real work.. lucky bastard.. he is also published.. and now he gets an award :D

Seriously, Bruce was.. or is.. the essence of a good reader.. even when grumpy there is often a grain of truth in his comments.. and while he might not be as active as he was when I partnered with him there is no doubt about his great technical skills and insight when it comes to writing.

To have him proof read or edit your work, even for a single AAR post is very beneficial :)

Maybe he doesn' do too many adda boys... but he DOES know his stuff :)

Well deserved old man :p

V

Congrats Lord Durham! :D

SEG-CISR said:
Congrats Lord... Whoever you are! :D
I'm just the guy who built AARland, but don't tell anyone. :D

Thanks Renns for the honour, and especially for the backhistory. Due to many circumstances, some fortunate and others not so, my reading and writing time spent on these forums has been drastically reduced. But that doesn't mean I don't maintain a presence. If anything, I'm trying to make myself more visible, albeit slowly but surely.

I've been with the AAR forums since the beginning, when EU1 was the only game in town, and seen it grow into what it is today. Through it all the imagination and quality of the work has never ceased to amaze me, and it's no small surprise I champion and cajole the various authors to hone their talents and see where it takes them in the professional world.

Most of what you see here is my doing (it's not a lack of humility on my part, it's just fact), all done with the idea of creating a sense of community. After all, mutual support as writers is what feeds us and keeps us going. It was just as important in the early days as it is these days. Perhaps even more so these days because of the vast selection of games to choose from. Many ideas you see here were born out of the old 'beer and wings' days with MrT--the libraries, the Solarium, the various showcases and other ideas that have come and gone. We closed many pubs on many nights brainstorming.

My last AAR was written some years ago, which is why so many of you probably only know me as the italicized name in the Moderator list. You will find most of my work in the EUI and EUII forums, along with an aborted AAR in the CK forum. However, it's the seven Free Company books that bring me the most satisfaction--AARs written in collaboration with up to 30 authors at a time. Massive tomes, these.

These days I spend much of my time writing for the small and big press. To date I have some 15+ sales under my belt. These are primarily fantasy, SF and historical fiction. The Dalacroy stories that Renns refers to can be read on-line (check my sig) and has been my most successful series. In fact, I was just informed that a publisher wants me to write my first Dalacroy novel for (hopefully) a Christmas release. You heard it here first.

So thanks to everyone who acknowledged my selection, and a special thanks to you oldtimers who said I provided some kind of influence, whether it was with your desire to write, or listening to my rambling feedback.

I'll admit there's still an AAR or two in me (as a couple of you know ;) ). It's just a matter of when and what venue.

Cheers,
LD

I believe my 15 minutes of fame are up, so I'd like to pass the torch along to another veteran forum member who has not only produced several memorable AARs, but over the years has provided thoughtful and concise feedback. Even though this person signed on a few months after me (in Sept 2001, IIRC), I believe this is his first FotW nod.

So let's hear it for: Estonianzulu

The mike is open, so say a few words...

Congratulations Estonianzulu!

See everything LD said, only without any of the accomplishments, and you've pretty got me :D

I'm not one for awards, so I'll make it quick. I've been around for god knows how long, and have accomplished writing all of 4 complete AAR's. I started heavily reading Warspite's old AARs, and moved from there to the more detailed, more narrative, and more complex AARs. In my time I've read more AAR's than I can possibly recall (including the first and last post of every single EU1 AAR written before 2006 :S) I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone who has written and read an AAR. The sense of community and friendship we've got here is perhaps the best I've ever seen. You all make the forums great.

One writer I'd really love to see back in AARland is M.ShawPyle whose ‘Sweet, Just, Boyish Masters’ is still, in my mind, the best history book AAR I've ever read. And a big thanks to all the writers writing now, it takes a bit of bravery to put something you've written out for people to read and comment on. Keep it rockin' guys.

Congratulations Estonianzulu !

Congrats!

A well deserved award. Estonianzulu has been an avid reader on almost all of my AARs, even on the ones I've abandoned. I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult, but it sure warrants a reply. :rofl:

Well done Estonianzulu. Congratulations :)

Way to go, Estonianzulu! Very much deserved and too long in coming. You might also be interested to know that a while back, I received a PM from M.ShawPyle suggesting he might be writing a new AAR one of these days. Nothing yet, but hopefully he's still in the mulling phase and will spring it on us sometime soon. I am a big fan of that AAR myself.

Enjoy the fan, sir. May it continue to keep you cool. :cool: