+ Reply to Thread
Page 240 of 345 FirstFirst ... 140 165 190 215 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 265 290 315 340 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,800 of 6890

Thread: Fan of the Week: stnylan

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneMajesty II Collection
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the StarsMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    you seem to comment as much as he does AND your comments are always insightful
    That struck me as a not-so-subtle dig at Alex.

EDIT: Oops, nearly forgot to congratulate the new winner. Congratulations, new winner!
    Last edited by King_Richard_XI; 14-11-2010 at 22:07. Reason: Oops!
    All hail Richard XI, King of the Mod, Grand Duke of Simcity 4, and Tsar of All the Awesomes - The_Shepherd

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congrats!
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations!
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

First Lieutenant Communitarian!'s Avatar
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Wow - I don't know where to begin.

I bought Victoria II somewhat on a whim - having decided that I'd heard and seen a lot about Paradox games, I picked up VII on digital download - and have never once looked back. I'd planned to write an AAR for some time, and when I saw Alexspeed's contest, I figured I'd write for it - and when I got exposed to AARland, it stuck like crazy. There's something inspiring about this community, it's friendliness, and the sheer amount of good content I see. I'd never really expected too many people to read my stuff - I just write because I like doing it, and hopefully to make a few people introspective and cheerful about human potential, things like that. Meeting some truly wonderful people has helped solidify my beliefs in regards to this, and I hope that I've managed to make everyone's day a little bit better, too.

This sunday'd been pretty awkward for me - not me personally, but someone had accused my sister of something she would never do. Things turned out fine, of course, but it'd really shocked me - and so between it and my usual business keeping me from here, it'd been a bit of a week. To log and see this - well, I cannot thank you enough, Alexspeed, and I hope that I uphold the job well! To clarify with all previous fans - I pass the torch on Sunday, right? Well until then, may I keep it burning brightly.

Even though I mostly lurk around the Victoria II forum, I'll try to find some truly superlative AARs and writers to share with everyone over my week here - for now, I'd highly recommend Let the Ruling Classes Tremble, and Onze Plaats in de Zon: The Rise of Frederik de Grote (van Holland), by Tommy4ever and Tanzhang respectively. Let the Ruling Classes Tremble is an incredible AAR that redifines reader paarticipation while embroiling said reader in the depths of revolutionary intrigue and politic. I have not been able to comment nearly as much as I like - given my slightly (hah, VERY) erratic schedule, it moves too quickly. But I'd heartily urge you to take a look! It'll be worth your while!

Onze Plaats in de Zon is an AAR that has incredible use of historical characters and events wrapped around a point of divergence that'll grab you in from the very first chapter. Rich political updates and use of language to describe the rise of Frederik the Great and the challenges he faces are just one of it's many charms. If you like historical AARs, then you'll love Onze Plaats in de Zon.

There's a million more AARs I'd like to recommend, but figure I'm probably rambling already. Thank you to everyone who has said their congratulations - again, I'm honored to be here. Thank you so much for the nomination, Alex - I doubt I'd be here today if you hadn't started such an excellent contest. Keep on shining, AARland! You're made of stardust!

Edit: Also, how did I not know about these forums until now? I vaguely remember them from something, but geeze! Seems I'm pretty spacey, heh.

Other AARs I'd like to promote: Scholar's The Genghisid Imperial Family. I've just started reading this, but it's incredibly enjoyable, feeling a lot like a family dynasty for one of the most chronically underchronicled bloodlines in history; my only conceivable complaint would be that I like it romanized as Chinggiz due to how the modern Mongolian alphabet uses Cyrillic.
    Last edited by Communitarian!; 18-11-2010 at 08:01.
    Chatting with the friendly ghosts of Voltairine, Haywood, Goldman, Makhno, and Berkman.

Nationality: Cajun
    Religion: Erisian
    Ideology: Syndicalist
    Issues: Community Ownership/Full-Citizenship
    Current Work: Researching: Full-Time Employment
    Cash Reserves: Ł5
    Revolt Risk: i = 1
    Militancy: 8.15
    Consciousness: 9.68 (+0.50 daily)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Congratulations.
    Fan of the Week 22 February 2010 - Role PlayAAR of the Month March 2014

Indies -The AAR which refuses to sell out. Featured on Weekly AAR Showcase 21 July 2010 (Still writing Episode 4 "A New Hope" - the Flux will be with you)

Marshal Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin, Chief of Stavka, in Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo Admin thread and Update thread.
    Etienne Burke, son of Frederic Burke, Prime Minister of Belgium during the Great War 1904-1907 and son of Edmund Burke, Commerce Minister 1866-1886 and son of Patrice "Bulwark" Burke, Former Chief of Staff of Belgium, Edge of Europe - an interactive AAR of ThunderHawk3
    Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg, Proud Imperialist in Sonderweg oder Anderweg - An interactive AAR in the Hohenzollerns megacampaign

First Lieutenant Communitarian!'s Avatar
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

First of all - sorry if I've turned this thing over so late that it's actually the 22nd already where the next nominee is. If so- I beg forgiveness!

Jokes aside, it is always hard for me to choose one 'favorite' out of a crowd. And doing it while carrying this torch, carrying this torch, a looong time- Er, sorry. When Alexspeed handed this torch to me, I was both overjoyed and anxious. To me, there's always multiple solutions, multiple ways of looking at things - and choosing someone to pass it on to was torturous. So when trying to figure out what qualities I'd pick in the Fan of the Week category, it took me a lot of time. Would I pick the careful eye and words of my friend Tanzhang, who is usually on hand to lend advice, thoughts and good humor with many an AAR? Tommy4ever for creating possibly the most fan-encouraging AAR in the V2 forum, one that's so fun I think you could probably show it to someone who knows nothing of the game and get them to become an instant fan, while still being able to find time to post on others AARs? Would I pick someone who has been nominated before? Perhaps a moderator or modder who is out making excellent new additions to Paradox Games?

I wrestled with this even while off-forum, and then it hit me. I wanted to choose someone who goes beyond the impossible. Someone who is willing to perservere through endless waiting and glitchy literacy waits to entertain us with a very amusing story. Someone who admits that they worry sometimes - but writes on, anyway. Surume, congratulations on being nominated for Fan of the Week!

------------------------------------

WhAAR? A Nowhaar of Iceland is an excellent and amusing AAR that displays the pleasures and implausabilities of trying to play the one-state-wonder that is Iceland while dealing with a small population base, practically non-existent military and industry, and patiently waiting for the decades to acrue! Surume's waiting is punctuated for us by a sharp sense of humor and attention to detail and is also very educational about how the game works.

It takes a lot of courage to be willing to wait while expecting very little to happen for the sake of your AAR, and even more to face one's worries and cares, and keep on going. So- Surume, keep on writing and enjoying Paradox Games. I look forward to the day when you've got even more awesome AARs under your belt. Until then, congratulations! And to all of you readers - this is Communitarian! signing off.

------------------------------------

Well, I hope I did that all right. Thank you my friends! It has been an honor and pleasure to be here. Congratulations Surume!
    Chatting with the friendly ghosts of Voltairine, Haywood, Goldman, Makhno, and Berkman.

Nationality: Cajun
    Religion: Erisian
    Ideology: Syndicalist
    Issues: Community Ownership/Full-Citizenship
    Current Work: Researching: Full-Time Employment
    Cash Reserves: Ł5
    Revolt Risk: i = 1
    Militancy: 8.15
    Consciousness: 9.68 (+0.50 daily)

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneMajesty II Collection
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the StarsMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Surume!
    All hail Richard XI, King of the Mod, Grand Duke of Simcity 4, and Tsar of All the Awesomes - The_Shepherd

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats!
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Congrats Surume.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    82 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    A good choice Communitarian!
    &
    Congratulations Surume!
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Gratz Surume!

Can I ask, is it now a trend to nominate people who write good AARs as fan of the weeks?
    You know, we have two other awards on the AARland...
    Because we have authors who write the text, that then gets fans to comment it... or so my logic tells me.

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    Gratz Surume!

Can I ask, is it now a trend to nominate people who write good AARs as fan of the weeks?
    You know, we have two other awards on the AARland...
    Because we have authors who write the text, that then gets fans to comment it... or so my logic tells me.
    In addition to writing a great AAR, Communitarian has been an active commentator on many AARs, including my own. In fact, he has probably commented on more Vicky II AARs than anyone else, save yourself or Alex. I think he was a perfectly good choice for FotW and I would definitely not suggest that there is any such trend favouring fans who write and comment over those who just comment.

Surume may not have commented or followed as many AARs as you have, but he's still a new member and has plenty of time to do so. I trust that Communitarian made the right choice in welcoming Surume to the forum with this award and I hope this award would further encourage Surume to be more active in the AAR community at large.

Congrats Surume!
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, Surume!
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congrats!
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations Surume!
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3Galactic Assault
    Lead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldShip Simulator Extremes
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratz Surume !
    'Darkest Hour', a 1914-1964 Grand Strategy Game

32? Oh.... whyyy... 69 is much a nicer sounding number...

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Congratulations!
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I enter the Forums seeing that I have a notification and this is what I find. Whoa!

I'll respond back in a little more detail, but I'd like to thank you all. Currently I'm active in the V2 AAR Forums, but I have been lurking for some time now, and really appreciate both EU3 and HOI3. My First experiences with Paradox was purchasing HOI3 after reading about it on TVTropes.org. Initially, I was vastly overwhelmed by the game and quite frustrated by it, but as I read the forums and checked it out for advice, I was introduced into EU3 and V2. I personally started writing my AAR because I love playing "impossible" games, even if it means being less good at conventional ones. I'll be happy to share my strategy advice with other's in their AAR's, although I feel as I still have much to learn. I'll present a few AAR's which I'm quite a fan off in the near future.
    By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to invent. -Emerson

WhAAR? A Nowhaar of Iceland - A V2 1.2 Iceland AAR - 12th Place in Alexspeed's Victoria 2 Contest - Abandoned

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Congratulations, Surume!

+ Reply to Thread