• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps you're right and formal declaration of independence should decide if a country should be seperate or not. If I follow the strict line of formal declaration of independence then Uruguay shouldn't be independent. Their official independence date is from when they seperated from Brazil.

Even if you entirely disagree with me, just say so. I think you know more about South American history as I do.

No, I don't entirely disagree with you at all :^) Pinpointing when this or that happened is very difficult...if we can't figure it out today, with a fairly complete knowledge of what all sides were doing, imagine what is what like back then! "So, are we Spanish, rebels, patriots, Argentineans, or the people of the Rio de la Plata?"

The problem comes from the while way Spain set up its New World bureaucracy. Instead of being part of Spanish territory, each viceroyalty (New Spain, New Granada, etc) was considered to be its own quasi-nation right from the start. Yes, they had to be 1/5th of their income to Spain, and Spain made all the rules...

But people born there were not considered to be Spanish. This is doubly true for people who were not 100% European-descent...

The viceroy could "respectfully decline to comply" with whatever the monarch said, and the legislative branch was (until near the very end) directly elected by local elite = self-government

Colonial militia had to defend themselves, as the Spanish army rarely set foot in the New World after the initial thrust
____

After much soul searching :^) ...

1. Everything belongs to Spain in 1815 - Spain should not have a single division in the New World and MAYBE give it a few at home. Very weak navy. It should not be able to put troops into the New World for a while
a. Events for massive militancy and revolts in La Plata and Venezuela; minor revolts in Mexico and the rest of Gran Colombia
b. As soon as the capitals of what will be Venezuela and Argentina fall to the rebels, make Gran Colombia (in Venezuela only) and Argentina independent and at war with Spain. They should each get crazy good generals in Bolivar and San Martin
c. Spain should not have much of an army in the New World, so both nations should have no trouble going into Colombia and Chile, respectively
d. As the capitals of what would be South America nations fall, trigger events to annex Colombia into Gran Colombia and free Chile as an Argentinian ally and satellite
e. More events to annex Ecuador and free Peru as an ally and satellite of Argentina. Note, however, that except for the coast of Peru, everything else in that region belongs to Spain
f. Have an event for Bolivar and San Martin to meet in Ecuador, and for San Martin to retire => Argentina makes peace with Spain, and Chile is now at peace and independent; Peru now becomes an ally and satellite of Gran Colombia
g. A final event to give the Spanish territory to Bolivia and Peru, where applicable...both remain satellites of Gran Colombia
h. In the next few years, have events to destroy Gran Colombia (assasination of Sucre, Bolivar can't get allies, etc)...Peru and Bolivia become free, Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela break off
i. If I recall correctly, also around this time Paraguay and Uruguay establish independence from Argentina, and Uruguay becomes a satellite of Brazil. Need to check this
j. For Mexico, just make it independent after the Spanish event that has Ferdinand recognize the liberal contitution of 1812. Mexico should immediately break out into numerous revolts against Iturbide such that it collapses the government
k. Brazil should be a dominion, events should free it, etc etc like I went over before :^)
l. Final note, getting toward 1830s, the new republics should be given tons of money by the British and French (but especially the British). I don't think Victoria does a good job at all of modeling the plight of the Latin American nations, but if you could somehow illustrate the early promise and boom and the later complete and utter collapse of the local economies you would earn a gold star in my book :^)
___

I just cannot stress enough that Spain was in no position to stop the revolts from happening or succeeding - if anyone was going to stop Bolivar or San Martin, it would have been royalists in South America, not anyone was Spain. Same thing with Portugal - you have to remember that in January 1815 neither the Spanish nor Portuguese kings were even in Iberia! :^)

-Matt

Thank you very much again. I'll see what I can do. As for now I'll keep the 1836 spanish OOBs (they have something like 9 divisions and a few ships) although I read somewhere that Spain sent around 10,000 men and about 60 ships to South America to crush the rebellions, but if you say they didn't sent anything, then I'll agree with you.

The problem with increased revolt risk and revolts is that the AI will sent troops to America, and probably remain there so future rebellions will be more difficult to succeed.

When Caracas fall to the Rebels I can make an event which release Venezuela, which in turn will become Gran Colombia (just Colombia but with different flag). Letting Spain keep some of it's territories ( in Peru and the likes ) just requires a little modding of the revolt.txt.
Problem with Mexican independence events is that it will just receive modern day Mexico IIRC, but they got the southern US states. I don't know when exactly, but for a brief period of time the Mexicans also ruled the Central American states.

Oh, I didn't mean to say the Spanish never sent anyone. But 10,000 men years into the wars of liberation was a drop in the bucket. And 60 ships does not mean 60 warships :^) Spain should be able to TRY and keep the colonies, but if you look at the battles, after 1815 Bolivar and San Martin were both pretty much unbeaten. By the time the fight was only still going on in Peru and Bolivia, it was Bolivar's professional army against a bunch of poorly equipt stragglers. All you would need to do is make events that great such a large volume of revolts that the Spanish player/AI could not hope to get troops to, say, Venezuela in time to stop at least that nation from forming

If the coding is similar to EU2's (and I'm pretty sure it is), make all independence events for Spain (i.e., tag = SPA). Then secede the provinces you want to the appropriate country. Don't worry about revolt.txt. The coding isn't proper, but the idea is:

tag = SPA
trigger = rebels control capital of X
action a = "we have no choice!"
command = independence of X
command = trigger event 2

event 2
tag = SPA
action a = "we have no choice"
command = secede_province (all the provinces) to X

This is for Argentina and Venezuela/Gran Colombia initially...for the later nations (Chile, Colombia, etc), change rebels to ARG or COL (or whatever the correct tags are)

For Mexico, have an event "Ferdinand and the Liberal Constitution." Action a is "accept" - change the government to constitutional monarchy, etc, and also trigger the event "Mexican Conservative Reaction". Action b would trigger a bunch of revolts in Spain and the New World by liberals, but sleep the Mexican event

Immediately after the player (or AI) chooses A, Spain will get the MCR event. This will grant Mexico independence and trigger a second event to give all of the Spanish Mexican provinces to Mexico

FINALLY, Spain should get an event a few months later that secede's the Central American provinces to Mexico. A later Mexican event will grant independence and secede provinces to the USCA

-Matt

I think it's possible to mod the AI so it won't sent much troops to their colonies. I had something in mind like that about the events you proposed. Also I'm not sure that USCA is in the revolt file, so I've to do something like a first event which releases Guatamala, and then it will trigger an event for Mexico to secede the other central american provs and another event for Guatamala to become the USCA.

I've been working on Europe aswell, not much to do there. Although I could use some suggestions conserning the Ottoman Empire and Egypt. So far I only removed Belgium (given to the Netherlands) and Greece (given to OE), also removed Azerbaijan and Armenia from Russia to Persia.

Does anybody have a map(s) of Asia from around 1815, or some suggestion what has to change from a vanilla map.

Wannabe Tatar said:
They initiated their War of Independence in 1811, so that is what I based it on. But like I said earlier it's a rough version, and I now I've done some more research I actually think all countries, except Uruguay and Paraguay, should become part of Spain again.

Uruguay was part of Colonial Brazil... by then.

I've made some changes to Europe. As I think I mentioned earlier I removed Belgium and Greece. Norway is part of Sweden, perhaps later it should become a satellite of Sweden?

Europe.jpg

Reworked some borders in the Middle East. I've given Persia Armenia and Azerbaijan, IIRC Russia captured those in 1828. Also the Ottomans have been givin Crete, Cyprus and most of the Middle East till the Sinai.

ME.jpg

These are just rough maps, they will probably change if there is feedback on them. Suggestions or comments?

I've been working on this mod the last couple of days, and some progress is being made. Changed several AIs, changed starting dates of techs, scripted events for South American independence and the Belgian Revolution. If things continue in this rate (which I hope they do) I'll probably finish an early beta late next week.

Major things to change now are the start dates of political parties, country setups and scripting many new events.

Also I need a name for this mod. Any suggestions?

"Napoleans' Ashes" because the mod begins just after Nappy wars or "Nationalist Revolutions Mod 1815" with many countries revolting for independence. maybe "Nationalist Independence Mod 1815-1836" and you could use the moniker of The NIM Mod. how are things coming along?

Your suggestions sound good. I'll think about which one I choose.

As it is now, the map is partially done. Meaning Europe and the Americas have been done. Asia and Africa need some rework I think. There are already events for the South American Independences, Greece Independence and Belgian Independence. Although the last one probably needs some expansion.
Some AIs have been tweaked to avoid ahistorical wars (Russia and Britain conquering the world) Tech dates have been changed, so you can research in 1815.

Still to do: political parties need their start dates changed, country setup needs to be toned down (less units, less factories, less techs) and pops have to be changed. Of course also events need to be added. But it's alot of work for one man

i have some experience modding and could help a bit. nothing major, but some text editing i can do. maybe i could edit some pops for you?

That would be great! I can use all the help I can get.

ok, i'll tinker a bit today after i get some house work done. anything in particular you'd like?

If you feel like it you can change the party start dates. Just change all 1836 (and earlier) startdates to 1815. Later we can make new parties. Or if you think that is too much work, then you can write some events.

ok, i'll get started on the party date changes

Just on 1 january. Yes I know, the napoleonic wars were still going on, but I will handle that just by flavor events, to avoid some weird results. Napoleons 100 day campaign will be just a flavor event for France, England, Prussia and other countries involved in the last campaign. Unless there are some major objections to this approach, it will stay this way for now.

you'll need to add the Austro-Neoploitan war, Murat, Napoleons brother-in-law was made King of Naples in like 1810, and he held onto power, even after Boney was exiled to Elbe, the Austrians etc tolerated him, but when Napoleon took power again in 1815, he switched sides and urged all Italians to rise up against the Austrians and help him win a war against them, the Italaisn did no such thing, and Murat lost a battle, fled to Corsica were he was chucked back and executed by the Austrians, and the Austrians re-throned the Bourbons as the rightful Kings of Naples/Sicily.
By the way, the Kingdom of Sicily (the Bourbons fled to Sicily after France took Naples etc) should be he 2 Sicilies, and you should add the Kingdom of Naples as a new nation etc, as well as Miguelite Portugal (Protugal had a sort Civil war ala the Spanish one, with the Liberal forces fighting the reactionary, monarchist ones etc etc)

also, at the start of the scenario, Modena, Parm and Tuscany were under Austrian occupation, they should be released after the Congress of Vienna.
Also, some parts of German etc should be under Prussian control etc, i'll draw up the right maps so we get a nice and accuarte map in early 1815.

Thank you KF for your usefull information. I didn't look at the situation in Italy at all (mainly due to South America) if you can provide a map that would be great. One question though: What do you mean by the Kingdom of Sicily should be 2 sicilies? There is 2 Sicilies in the game, or do you mean that I should split the Island from the mainland?

By the way what to do with Poland? Should it be incorperated in Russia or should it be a satellite? I've read that Poland had its own constitution, its own army, its own government and parlement and its own treasury. Shortly it was in a personal union with Russia.