• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wannabe, np if you still wish to keep the mods seperate, but I hope you don't mind if I use items and such from your mod. :)

In a way, I would have been doing the work incorporating your stuff into the RoN mod. All you had to do was keep working on your mod but give me permission to incorporate your ideas. :D

Safety Lamp and Feed Grasses would be industrial IMO. And as for efficiencies, if you have dled and checked out the RoN alpha version, you will see that the efficiences have been reduced quite a bit.

Here is a darn good link for inventions of all types.

Inventions timeline beginning with the 18th century

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Wow I didn't know the seed drill was THAT old.

They look good! I'll implement them.

As for the Steam powered printing press, it requires freedom of trade and publishing industry. The practical steam engine is too late, especially since it allows for the construction of the Paper mill. Although I discovered that the tech can only be researched after 1835, perhaps it should be decreased to 1820 or 1825?

Thorgrimm said:
Wannabe, np if you still wish to keep the mods seperate, but I hope you don't mind if I use items and such from your mod. :)

In a way, I would have been doing the work incorporating your stuff into the RoN mod. All you had to do was keep working on your mod but give me permission to incorporate your ideas. :D

Safety Lamp and Feed Grasses would be industrial IMO. And as for efficiencies, if you have dled and checked out the RoN alpha version, you will see that the efficiences have been reduced quite a bit.

Here is a darn good link for inventions of all types.

Inventions timeline beginning with the 18th century

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thanks for the link.

I didn't check the RoN mod, perhaps it's time I should. I would love to make both mods compatible, but there are still a lot of things we need to talk about, like the economy, techs. You've my permission to use any stuff you want, as long as you give me credit for it.

Efficiencies have to be lowered, already machine parts, canned food and small arms are less efficient.

Wannabe Tatar said:
They look good! I'll implement them.

As for the Steam powered printing press, it requires freedom of trade and publishing industry. The practical steam engine is too late, especially since it allows for the construction of the Paper mill. Although I discovered that the tech can only be researched after 1835, perhaps it should be decreased to 1820 or 1825?

Problem is it doesn't make much sense without the practical steam engine; maybe reduce the cost of that technology? Anyway, it shouldn't require publishing industry because, even though the name sounds like it should, the description in it says otherwise.

TECH_APP_INDUSTRY_2_1_NAME;Publishing Industry;;;;;;;;;;x
TECH_APP_INDUSTRY_2_1_DESC;This was the elder system of capitalist giving resources to farmers who then crafted them into refined goods at home. The capitalist later fetched the goods and took them to the city and sold them.;;;;;;;;;;x

But I still feel, despite it indeed doesn't make much sense without the practical steam engine, it should be an early technology like publishing industry, water wheel power, mechanized mining or basic chemistry.

I've noticed that Egypt gets alot of divisions for the war against the OE, perhaps some should be deleted after the war since it can't manage the budget.

Only as an AI event that is, a player can disband those divisions by himself.

Sleepyhead said:
I've noticed that Egypt gets alot of divisions for the war against the OE, perhaps some should be deleted after the war since it can't manage the budget.

Only as an AI event that is, a player can disband those divisions by himself.

Ok, I think I do have some time to write an event for that. The only real problem is, you never know with how much divisions Egypt ends that war.

Wannabe Tatar said:
Ok, I think I do have some time to write an event for that. The only real problem is, you never know with how much divisions Egypt ends that war.
Well atleast not more than they started with, the AI should perhaps be given some money as well. Egypt went bancrupt after the war.

A random event I had made sometime ago you may find useful:

Code:
##################################################  #####
# Slave Trade
##################################################  #####
event = { 
         id =  24505
         random = yes
 	 invention = no
         trigger = { 
                slavery = yes
		continent = america
		} 

name = "Slave Trade"
	desc = "We're trading slaves"
         style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1836 }  
         offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = march year = 9999 }

action_a = {
                        name = "Great!"
			command = { type = add_pop which = african_minor value = 0.05 where = -1 }	# 10000 Farmers	
			command = { type = convert_pop_type which = african_minor value = slaves where = -3 when = 100 }		
			command = { type = convert_pop_type which = african_minor value = pagan where = -3 when = 100 }		
                    }
}

Last edited:
Looks good, but is the trigger continent = america a valid trigger? VickyWiki doesn't mention it. The only other trigger that could be usefull is colonialnation, but it brings the risk of slaves coming to Europe. We don't want to see slaves in London, Paris, Berlin or St. Petersburg.

Well, VIP has one event that has the trigger:
Code:
NOT = {
	continent = europe
	}
For one event, so I assumed continent = america existed. :p

Wannbe, I think that is what the trigger condition slavery = yes would prevent that from occuring in non slave states anywhere in the world. Also since a lot of nations used slaves it makes sense, then events could be made that stops the slave trade.

And I would remove the continent trigger to allow it to fire for any slave allowing nation.

EDIT: Did some checking and the US ended it slave trading days on Jan 1 1808, when Congress banned the importation of slaves.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Last edited:
Andrelvis said:
Well, VIP has one event that has the trigger:
Code:
NOT = {
	continent = europe
	}
For one event, so I assumed continent = america existed. :p

Ah, I didn't see it at VickyWiki, so I didn't knew that trigger actually existed.

Thorgrimm said:
Wannbe, I think that is what the trigger condition slavery = yes would prevent that from occuring in non slave states anywhere in the world. Also since a lot of nations used slaves it makes sense, then events could be made that stops the slave trade.

And I would remove the continent trigger to allow it to fire for any slave allowing nation.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

My main worry is that this event will put slaves in places were they shouldn't be.

Perhaps the trigger should look like this:
Code:
trigger = {
slaves = yes
colonialnation = yes
NOT = {
atwar
}
}

Perhaps there should be a flag which we use for Russia and China to prevent they will get African slaves in their territories?

After further checking, I don't think that event would be any good for North America after 1808. I did some checking and the US ended it slave trading days on Jan 1 1808, when Congress banned the importation of slaves.

Not to be a fuss budget, but slavery did exist outside of the US you know. ;)

In fact IIRC the English did not stop their slave trading till early in the 19th century.

EDIT: Found this lil gem.

When slaves were emancipated through the British Parliament in 1834 the British Government paid compensation to slave owners (slaves got nothing). In one case the Bishop of Exeter and three business colleagues got handsome compensation for the 665 slaves they had to set free.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Last edited:
I know it existed outside the US, but IIRC just in Mexico and Brazil, but I could be wrong.

As for the British, they stopped the slave trade in 1802, but they didn't abolish slavery till 1834 (which is already an event IIRC)

Maybe we could then put a local flag for nations for slave trade, and, for example, if the flag is set to 1 there is slave trade, if to 0 there isn't.

Wannbe, you may want to do more research. ;)

Here are some more facts.

Following the work of campaigners in the United Kingdom, the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act was passed by Parliament on March 25, 1807. The act imposed a fine of £100 for every slave found aboard a British ship.

The Slavery Abolition Act, passed on August 23, 1833, outlawed slavery itself in the British colonies. On August 1, 1834 all slaves in the British Empire were emancipated, but still indentured to their former owners in an apprenticeship system which was finally abolished in 1838.

In 1772, a legal case concerning James Somersett made it illegal to remove a slave from England against his will.

There were slaves in mainland France, but the institution was never fully authorized there. However, slavery was vitally important in France's Caribbean possessions, especially Saint-Domingue.

The Lesser Antilles islands of Barbados, Antigua, Martinique and Guadeloupe were the first important slave societies of the Caribbean, switching to slavery by the end of the 16th century as their economies converted from tobacco to sugar production. By the middle of the 18th century, British Jamaica and French Saint-Domingue had become the largest and most brutal slave societies of the region, rivaling Brazil as a destination for enslaved Africans.

The first announcement from Whitehall in England that slaves would be totally freed by 1840 was made in 1833. In the meantime, slaves on plantations were expected to remain were they were and work as "apprentices" for the next six years. On 1st of August 1834, a unarmed group of mainly elderly negroes being addressed by the Governor at Government House about the new laws, began chanting: "Pas de six ans. Point de six ans" ("Not six years. No six years"), drowning out the voice of the Governor. Peaceful protests continued until a resolution to abolish apprenticeship was passed and de facto freedom was achieved. Full emancipation for all was finally legally granted ahead of schedule on 1st August, 1838, making Trinidad the first British colony with slaves to completely abolish slavery.

After British abolished slavery, they began to pressure other nations to do the same. France, too, abolished slavery, but by this point St. Domingue had already broken away to form the independent Republic of Haiti. French islands were limited to the Lesser Antilles.

So as you can see, it existed even in the UK and France till they abolished slavery. :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Andrelvis, that is a good idea for the flag settings.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

IIRC it's possible to add flags to the .inc files. So that would be a solution. IIRC there were just 4 big slave trading nations, Portugal, Spain, France and Brazil (after it's independence) Portugal and Spain received money from Britain to slowly reduce slave trade and finally abolish it. Brazil was forced to do so under threat of Britain. France, formally, abolished slave trade in 1815. However they refused that the British inspected their ships and they didn't do much to inforce it and it finally came to a hold in 1848.

However abolishment goes way to fast, while historically it never happend from one day to the other. Mexico has an event which sets the slaves free, cause historically they abolished it in 1824, IIRC. However certain parts of Mexico, like Texas, had slaves, and continued to have slaves even after the constitution of 1824 passed.

In a few words, slavery is difficult to represent historically. However I think it's best if the abolishment of slavery is represented by events on the dates on which slavery was abolished historically. Say Britain abolished slavery in 1833, then they will get an event in 1833-1834 (depending on triggers and deathdates) which sets slaves = no.