• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Andrelvis said:
Perhaps that was the best choice. Maybe make an event though to turn their lands into colonies if they are conquered by Britain or France?

Either that, or after the death of Mehmet Ali they should become uncivilized.

But they never took Turkish lands as colonies, that's what I meant.

True. And I finally have the Ottomans a bit in place, and their performs varies as it is already, so I rather leave things as they are at this stage.

Walter Model said:
In the version you gave me Wannabe, there ware two bugs (which I fixed).

"scenarops...etc..." in 1815.txt
"culture "peublo" in pop_militancy (or consciousnes...) event.

Download the latest version from my sig.

I like this mod very much
icon14.gif

I noticed a few things when I was playing Spain though.
She starts without any tranports and only 5 clippers (needs abour 200 for the entire empire). Perhaps it should be increased a bit, atleast to 20 clippers at startup.
Once Venezuela and Argentina has been subdued there is absolutly no revolts at all in South America, perhaps there should be some junta events that sparks some revolts there.

Patagonia has colonization by Argentina even when there is no Argentina, I suggest a 'exist = ARG' command in the triggers.

The cultures lost in the civilwar never gets returned and Spain becomes flagless since there is no royalist flag. There isn't any badboy removing commands either. Instead of using annex and prestige reduction and badboy reduction and the like, wouldn't it be better to use secede state/provinces commands? Then the prestige gain wouldn't be so high and the reductions could be taken out.

What do you think about converting an amount of the Mexicans/South Andeans/Creoles etc. if Spain manages to keep everything intact?
Only a few percentage of the population to simulate those who were still loyal to Spain.

Glad that you like it.

As for spain, the main reason why they have very few transports is because otherwise they can build transports and ferry there troops. Also I don't think that Spain actually gained very much from it's colonies around this time. Perhaps the amount should be increased a little bit, but they certainly won't get 200 clippers, even Britain has less as that.

Will fix the situation with Argentina.

As for the Spanish Civil War, I forgot to include the flag for the royalists :eek:o If you're desperate for it, rename the carlist flag to royalist, that should solve it.
The cultures, I'm not entirely sure if this was intendent or just a small oversight.
The pops in South America haven't been reworked yet. But I think there should be some Spanish clergy and aristocrats, perhaps even officers in South America. Weren't creoles Europeans, but born in the colonies? Then perhaps instead of giving Spain Catalan and Basque back, we could give them creole instead. Although that might make conquering the caribbean very attractive.

I'll rework the surrender events, so Spain won't get hugh amounts of prestige anymore.

Thanks for the feedback, Sleepyhead

Wannabe Tatar said:
Glad that you like it.

As for spain, the main reason why they have very few transports is because otherwise they can build transports and ferry there troops. Also I don't think that Spain actually gained very much from it's colonies around this time. Perhaps the amount should be increased a little bit, but they certainly won't get 200 clippers, even Britain has less as that.
I only suggested a little bit ;)

Wannabe Tatar said:
The cultures, I'm not entirely sure if this was intendent or just a small oversight.
The pops in South America haven't been reworked yet. But I think there should be some Spanish clergy and aristocrats, perhaps even officers in South America. Weren't creoles Europeans, but born in the colonies? Then perhaps instead of giving Spain Catalan and Basque back, we could give them creole instead. Although that might make conquering the caribbean very attractive.
I think it would be best to have converting events if Spain suceeds to keep them, otherwise you need to have one event each for the new nations, which is a bit unnecessary IMHO.
Wannabe Tatar said:
I'll rework the surrender events, so Spain won't get hugh amounts of prestige anymore.

Thanks for the feedback, Sleepyhead
Don't forget to remove those prestige reduction ones as well ;)
Also when you inherit them, you get all their divisions, perhaps before they surrender they get an event where some of the army gets deleted, some gets turned into rebels and the rest decides to serve Spain?

Sleepyhead said:
I think it would be best to have converting events if Spain suceeds to keep them, otherwise you need to have one event each for the new nations, which is a bit unnecessary IMHO.

Don't forget to remove those prestige reduction ones as well ;)
Also when you inherit them, you get all their divisions, perhaps before they surrender they get an event where some of the army gets deleted, some gets turned into rebels and the rest decides to serve Spain?

Are you sure about that? If the pop numbers are small enough they'll get assimilated, at least in Texas a lot of cultures seem to disappear when Mexico becomes independent.

IIRC you've to fully occupy them for the surrender event to fire, so it seems logical that most of their army is already defeated, but I could be wrong.

Wannabe Tatar said:
Are you sure about that? If the pop numbers are small enough they'll get assimilated, at least in Texas a lot of cultures seem to disappear when Mexico becomes independent.
Pops above 10000 never assimilates afaik.
Wannabe Tatar said:
IIRC you've to fully occupy them for the surrender event to fire, so it seems logical that most of their army is already defeated, but I could be wrong.
Only the capitals for Argentina and Venezuela. Perhaps that should change instead?

Sleepyhead said:
Pops above 10000 never assimilates afaik.

Only the capitals for Argentina and Venezuela. Perhaps that should change instead?

Who said I would make pops of more as 10000 aristocrats, clergy and officers in South America? I wanted at most pops of 1000 or perhaps 2000 in the big cities (Mexico, Guatamala, Bogota, Quito, La Paz, Lima and Santiago)

Oh you mean that one, I thought you were still talking about the Spanish Civil War. Then I'll add an occupied trigger to it.

From my own experience, rich class pops have never assimilated, and middle class ones are harder to than poor class ones. About the creoles - they were black slaves, I think you meant the criollos, descendants of the spanish in the Americas. Btw, are you planning adding any new inventions? I specially liked Steam Powered Printing Press for the flavor it gave. :)

I'll give it a try, otherwise they will just be Mexican/central american/andean/creole. As for the Creole:
Wikipedia said:
The word Creole (and its cognates in other languages, such as crioulo, criollo, créole, kriolu, criol, kreyol, kriulo, kriol, krio, etc.) may refer to
a person of Spanish (or French or Portuguese) ancestry but born in one of the Spanish (or French) colonies, as opposed to a Spaniard (or Frenchman or Portuguese) born in Spain (or France or Portugal)

At this stage, no. Cause I've no idea what can be used for inventions. Although I assume it must be boring to wait for inventions to fire. If you have any idea, then let me know and I'll add it. There is still much work to be done. Including reworking the Brazilian Independence events

You're right, Creole can refer to that. But the Vicky culture Creole means black slaves.

As for inventions, I have a few ideas:

*Cotton Gin: +10% cotton plantation efficiency - Mechanical Production
*Spinning Jenny: +5% fabric factory efficiency - Mechanical Production
*Safety Lamp: +5% coal mine efficiency - Don't know, maybe Basic Chemistry?
*Feed Grasses: +10% cattle ranch efficiency - Don't know, maybe Basic Chemistry?
*Seed Drill: +5% grain farm efficiency - Mechanical Production

Also, there are two 'Machine Tools' (one of vanilla Vicky, one new) inventions... maybe one could have it's name changed?

Andrelvis said:
You're right, Creole can refer to that. But the Vicky culture Creole means black slaves.

As for inventions, I have a few ideas:

*Cotton Gin: +10% cotton plantation efficiency - Mechanical Production
*Spinning Jenny: +5% fabric factory efficiency - Mechanical Production
*Safety Lamp: +5% coal mine efficiency - Don't know, maybe Basic Chemistry?
*Feed Grasses: +10% cattle ranch efficiency - Don't know, maybe Basic Chemistry?
*Seed Drill: +5% grain farm efficiency - Mechanical Production

Also, there are two 'Machine Tools' (one of vanilla Vicky, one new) inventions... maybe one could have it's name changed?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Great suggestions, but shouldn't safety lamp also increase other mines? Like 5% Iron mine, 2% sulphur, 2% precious metal.

Yes, Machine Tools should be renamed. I just copied and pasted it and adjusted the triggers so machine part factories are more efficient as in 1815.

Wannabe, you may want to check out the dates of those inventions, as at least two of them occurred before 1815. Cotton Gin and Seed Drill.

As for the Creole culture, you can have it mean anything you wish, it is not limited, so it can be modded to represent anything desired culturally. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Wannabe Tatar said:
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Great suggestions, but shouldn't safety lamp also increase other mines? Like 5% Iron mine, 2% sulphur, 2% precious metal.

Yes, Machine Tools should be renamed. I just copied and pasted it and adjusted the triggers so machine part factories are more efficient as in 1815.

From wikipedia:

Safety lamp is the name of a variety of lamps for safety in coal-mines against coal dust, methane, or firedamp, a highly explosive mixture of natural gas apt to accumulate in them.

The best known safety lamps are the Davy lamp, invented by Sir Humphry Davy and the Geordie lamp, invented by George Stephenson. Both of those were invented in 1815 and have been superseded by the Gray, Muesler, Marsant, and other lamps; most later lamps are constructed on the principle discovered by Davy, that a flame enveloped in wire gauze of a certain fineness does not ignite firedamp.

Prior to the invention of these safety lamps, miners used canaries to alert them to the presence of gas, and barometers to tell them if atmospheric pressure was low (in which case more methane seeped out of the mine into the air). Alternative methods involved igniting the gas deliberately to cause explosions, thus evacuating the mines of the majority of explosive or easily flammable material present.

Nowadays, safety lamps are mainly electric, and traditionally mounted on miners' helmets, sealed to prevent gas penetrating the casing and being ignited by electrical sparks.

I don't know if sulphur is flammable, but if it is, the safety lamp should apply to it too.

Last edited:
Thorgrimm said:
Wannabe, you may want to check out the dates of those inventions, as at least two of them occurred before 1815. Cotton Gin and Seed Drill.

You're right, they were, and the spinning jenny too. The thing is they are all early industrial inventions, so I thought they would fit in, as the steam powered printing press is earlier too, from 1812.

Yes, sulphur is flammable, at least according to Wikipedia:
Because of its flammable nature, sulfur also finds use in matches, gunpowder, and fireworks

To be honest I don't have problems with earlier inventions firing between 1815-1836, since I don't know what happened in that time. We can always balance it by decreasing the starting efficiencies.

Wannbe, well I just let you know that, for I thought you wished to combine mods? :D As I was going to include those for inventions in the pre 1815 portion. Let me know if you still wish to combine our efforts. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm said:
Wannbe, well I just let you know that, for I thought you wished to combine mods? :D As I was going to include those for inventions in the pre 1815 portion. Let me know if you still wish to combine our efforts. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Uhmm, that would make it a bit more difficult. But then again, we talked only about tags, not about cultures, economy and technology.

I'll look into some possible invention ideas aswell. I just finished reworking part of the Brazilian independence sequence.

EDIT: By the way, I can still use those inventions, if they have the same id and effects they can be used in my mod as well. Also I found two other possible inventions: The reaper was patented in 1830 and the continous still (1830 too) provided "cleaner" whiskey and gin

Last edited:
Wannabe Tatar said:
Yes, sulphur is flammable, at least according to Wikipedia:

Then they should be included in the safety lamp, perhaps? I dunno, but the article said specifically coal-mines but logically it should apply to sulphur mines too. But maybe normal lamps wouldn't have any problems in sulphur mines, as the lamps would be away from the sulphur and if it does not have flammable gases there it shouldn't be a problem. Argh I'm confused by this one :(

To be honest I don't have problems with earlier inventions firing between 1815-1836, since I don't know what happened in that time. We can always balance it by decreasing the starting efficiencies.

Hmm, that's true, too many inventions increasing efficiency can unbalance the game.

It would be great if both mods would combine or atleast be compatible! I just love that early industrial period :D

Btw, I have scripted some of the inventions:

Code:
#########################################################################
#  Cotton Gin

event = {
	id = 565
	random = no
	invention = yes

trigger = {
		technology = 5102
		}

picture = mechanisation

name = "Cotton Gin"
	desc = " "
	style = 0

date = { day = 1  month = january year = 1815 }
	offset = 60 # Check for trigger conditions every 60 days
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 9999 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK" # Excellent!
		command = { type = production_modifier which = cotton_plantation value = 10  }
	}
}

#  Spinning Jenny

event = {
	id = 566
	random = no
	invention = yes

trigger = {
		technology = 5102
		}

picture = mechanisation

name = "Spinning Jenny"
	desc = " "
	style = 0

action_a = {
		name = "OK" # Excellent!
		command = { type = production_modifier which = fabric_factory value = 5  }
	}
}

#  Seed Drill

event = {
	id = 567
	random = no
	invention = yes

trigger = {
		technology = 5102
		}

picture = mechanisation

name = "Seed Drill"
	desc = " "
	style = 0

action_a = {
		name = "OK" # Excellent!
		command = { type = production_modifier which = grain_farm value = 5  }
	}
}

I didn't script the safety lamp and feed grasses as I didn't know what technology to put them in :p

Btw, about the steam powered printing press, it doesn't require practical steam engine at all... Maybe make it require either practical steam engine or mechanical production?