• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poland had a personal union with Russia, just like Sweden was in a personal union with Norway, and Russia had a personal union with Finland. The way it is now, I feel it's justified to put Poland on the map as a satellite of Russia.
All information I've seen put Poland on the map as a satellite (autonomy, but not independent) not fully controlled by Russia.

Now it gives a player to play Poland aswell and a chance to reform the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The last couple of days I've been working extensively on the mod. So a slight update on the progress is in order.

I've reworked the pops of Western Europe (again) and I've reworked the pops of Canada, USA (east coast only), Australia and the European possesions in the Caribbean.

During testing I found out that during the Greek War of Independence it's only a matter of time before the Ottomans start to push back the Greeks. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to delay this, usually Greece peaces out in 1826-1827 if lucky it holds out till 1828, however since future events are important for the near future (Ottoman-Egypt War, Russian-Turkish War of 1828) I've removed the trigger condition that TUR and GRE have to be at war.

For the scenario setup I've added the VIP native states, although slightly changed, and created the first land cession events for them.

A lot of new events have been created, including the start of the Great Trek in South Africa. Plus more have been made or adjusted.

Last but not least I've tweaked certain AI files and rewritten a few.

To make work on this mod easier, I'm still looking for the people who want to contribute to this mod.

Wannabe, I just found your events you had made for the Rise of Napoleon mod, would you mind if I use them? As I am reviving that mod and I am going to try and finish it off. Those events were great by the way. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm said:
Wannabe, I just found your events you had made for the Rise of Napoleon mod, would you mind if I use them? As I am reviving that mod and I am going to try and finish it off. Those events were great by the way. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Sure, you can use them.

On a serious note conserning my mod, I seek advice on how to weaken the Ottoman Empire (or strengthen Egypt). Currently I've removed the tech gains in Mahmuds reforms, and gave Egypt all level 1 army techs. Result, the Greek War of Independence goes better (lasting till 1829/1830) however after that Egypt goes to war vs the Ottomans, but in the mean time the Ottomans (being constantly at war since 1821) have build many new divisions.
During the First Egypt Ottoman war the Egyptians seize the momentum of Ottoman troops still being in the Balkan/Caucasia. Their furthest advance reached till Dimashq before the numerical superior Ottomans start pushing them back.
I'm currently considering several solutions, but I need some opionions about the solutions. 1) Giving Egypt a temporarily morale boost or the Ottomans a temporarily morale reduction. 2) Reduce the amount of soldier pops in the Ottoman Empire. 3) Delete 15-25 divisions by event from the Ottomans.

What do you guys think about these solutions? Perhaps you guys have some better way to simulate the Ottomans being soundly defeated by the Egyptians?

Walter Model said:
Perhaps if Egypt chooses to fight the ottomans, then the ottomans could get their divisions disbanded, and when the Egyptians occupy certain provinces the Ottomans HAVE TO peace out.

Except for the disbanding of the divisions, I already made events in which if Egypt captures certain provinces (for example Jerusalem, Nablus and Jerush or Amman the Ottomans lose control of Ottoman Palestina).

Perhaps a possible event could be something like, if Egypt fight, "Desertion hits our army" and then they lose 20 divs?

Wannabe, check out the first post on the RoN Redux thread for some ideas on how to keep manpower in check.

Also, remember besides the Nazimi-Cedid Corps, the Ottoman troops were basically fuedal levys. So make the Janissary troops Irregular - Native quality. That is one of the problems of most scens, the troops and their classification.

And then lower the reliability of Irregular troops. You will see a marked increase in the breaking of the irregulars, which is historicly accurate. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

You mean a less inefficient canned_food factories? That might work. I'll do some testing with that.

As for making Ottoman troops irregulars, that would severly unbalance the game especially the Greek War of Independence. Also they can't build troops then (they lack the Flintlock rifles tech) unless we make them uncivilized, and despite their problems that is a bit harsh.

If i can get a good running Egypt Ottoman War, then all that remains for a next release is some ai tweaking.

As for unbalancing the game, remember this, the Ottomans DID get their butts kicked because they retained their feudal levies so long. So making the Janissaries fit their historical capabilities is only correct.

When folks complain that the armies are acting ahistoricaly and can't figure out why, then they need to look at the actual army composition. ;) :D

Remember, most of history is NOT balanced, one side or the other usually gets their @$$es handed to them, example Prussia 1806. :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm said:
As for unbalancing the game, remember this, the Ottomans DID get their butts kicked because they retained their feudal levies so long. So making the Janissaries fit their historical capabilities is only correct.

When folks complain that the armies are acting ahistoricaly and can't figure out why, then they need to look at the actual army composition. ;) :D

Remember, most of history is NOT balanced, one side or the other usually gets their @$$es handed to them, example Prussia 1806. :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm

I agree with you and I know that they got their butts kicked, that's why I asked for advice ;) . And I'll do some testing with it. Hmmm it might actually save Greece from going bankrupt during it's war.

I thought about that, since they lack the Flintlock rifle tech they can only build irregulars, which a civilized country can't do. The question remains, which war? After the Greek War of Independence, or after the First Egyptian Ottoman War?

Wannabe, it would have to be after the first Egyptian-Ottoman war. As Mehemet Ali Modernized the Egyptian Army before attacking the Ottomans. below are some of the events I was going to incorporate into the RoN mod. Feel free to use the ideas. :p

EGYPTIAN EVENTS

Indepence of Egypt (Made Satellite of Ottomans)

Mehemmet Ali, a young officer who had come to Egypt with the Albanian contingent of the expeditionary forces, stepped in to fill this vacuum by establishing a local power base of village leaders, clerics, and wealthy merchants in Cairo, and by killing or expelling three successive governors sent from Constantinople. With no one else able to hold the office in safety, he was appointed Ottoman viceroy of Egypt in 1805.

Era of revolts and consolidation 1805-1811

Muhammad Ali spent the first years of his rule fighting off attempts to unseat him, and extending his personal authority over the whole of the province of Egypt. In one of the most infamous episodes of his reign, Muhammad Ali definitively broke the power of the Mamluks by massacring their leaders.

1811 Massacre of mamluk Leaders

In 1811 he invited their amirs to a feast to celebrate his son Tusun Pasha's appointment to lead the army being sent against the Wahhabi rebellion in Arabia. As the procession of Mamluk princes made its way through a narrow gated alley in the Citadel, Muhammad Ali's men shut the gates, trapping all the Mamluks inside, and soldiers positioned in the buildings facing the alley opened fire from above. When the shooting ended, soldiers on the ground finished off any Mamluks still living with swords and axes. In the following days, he ordered his men to kill any other Mamluks they could catch, plunder their homes, and rape their women.

Military Reform of 1823

In 1823, Muhammad Ali began to conscript peasants from Upper Egypt to train in the Napoleonic fighting style under a French officer, Colonel Sèves (Suleyman Pasha). According to the nizâm-i cedîd (literally, new order) system introduced by the Ottoman sultan Selim III (1789-1807), these troops were based on a regular draft pattern and organized along contemporary European schemes.These troops showed remparkable loyalty to the viceroy (in comparison with the yeni çeri troops) and performed very well in battle, putting down insurrections in various parts of Egypt.

Military Reform stemming from Greek Independence War

Muhammad Ali dealt with the military issues stemming from the loss programatically. To remedy the problem of officer training, he founded a staff college and hired French officers to train Ottoman personnel in the newly requisite military science. Convinced of the efficacy of the nizam jadid, he dissolved all his old regiments of Albanians and Mamluks, and set about building an entire army of nizami troops. To supply the men for the troops, he instituted conscription of Egyptian peasants.

Industrial changes instituted in response to Mil Reform of Greek War

To keep up with the constant need for money that military reformation created, Muhammad Ali established long-staple cotton as a cash crop, and re-shaped Egyptian agricultural economy to orient toward cotton production. Since British textile manufacturers were willing to pay good money for such cotton, Muhammad Ali ordered the majority of Egyptian peasants to cultivate cotton to the exclusion of all other crops. At harvest time, Muhammad Ali bought the entire crop himself, which he then sold at a mark-up to textile manufacturers; by this means, he turned the whole of Egypt's cotton production into his personal monopoly.

Further Forced Industrialization

The needs of the military likewise fueled other modernization projects, such as state educational institutions, a teaching hospital, roads and canals, factories to turn out uniforms and munitions, and a shipbuilding foundry at Alexandria, although all the wood for ships had to be imported from abroad. In the same way that he conscripted peasants to serve in the army, he frequently drafted peasants into labor corvées for his factories and industrial projects. The peasantry objected to these conscriptions, and many of them ran away from their villages to avoid being taken, sometimes fleeing as far away as Syria.

Rebellion against the Ottomans

Like many rulers of Egypt before him, Muhammad Ali desired to control Greater Syria, both for its strategic value and for its rich natural resources. Having built up a sizable nizami army, in 1831 he ordered Ibrahim Pasha to invade Syria, on the pretext of repatriating about 6,000 peasants who had fled conscription. Muhammad Ali's army overran Syria, captured Acre after a six-month siege (lasted from 3 November 1831 to 27 May 1832), and then marched north into Anatolia. At the Battle of Konya (21 December 1832), Ibrahim Pasha soundly defeated the Ottoman army led by the Grand Vizier; this outcome left no military obstacle between Ibrahim's forces and Istanbul itself.

Attack on the Ottomans

In 1839, Muhammad Ali, dissatisfied with partial sovereignty over Syria, went to war again against the Sultan's forces: when Mahmud II ordered his forces to advance on the Syrian frontier, Ibrahim attacked and destroyed them at the Battle of Nizib (24 June 1839) near Urfa. Echoing the Battle of Konya, Istanbul was again left vulnerable to Muhammad Ali's forces. What is more, Mahmud II died almost immediately after the battle took place, to be succeeded by his sixteen-year-old son, Abdülmecid.

OTTOMAN REACTION TO LOSING POSITION IN EGYPTIAN REBELLION

The viceroy, to all appearances, was making a play to overthrow the Osmanli Dynasty and seize control of the Ottoman Empire. This possibility so alarmed Mahmud II that he accepted Russia's offer of military aid, much to the dismay of the British and French governments. From this position, in 1833 Russia brokered a negotiated solution known as the Treaty of Hünkâr Iskelesi. The terms of the peace were: a) Muhammad Ali would withdraw his forces from Anatolia, b) he would receive the territories of Crete (then known as Candia) and the Hijaz as compensation, and c) Ibrahim Pasha would be appointed wali of Syria.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thanks! I can use some of those ideas and convert them to events, although some are before the start date of the mod. Once I finished them, you can use them in your mod, if you need them.

Leaders!!!!!

been researching a few leaders for you!!

Lord Cochrane (admiral) serves for:
Chile 1817-1822
Brazil 1823-25
Greece 1826-28
Britain 1828-1854

Chile:
William Miller (Mercenary general) 1817-1821

Greece:
King Otto 1831-??
Sir George Church (made commander of Greek army in war)
Constantine Kanaris (heroic admiral)

Poland
Prince Radziwell
Dembinski

East India Co.
Sir Thomas Hyslop
Lord Hastings
Ochterlony
Campbell
Combere
Elphinstone

Burma
Maha Bandula

Naples (all of these men commanded in the Neapolitan war)
Guglielmo Pepe 1814-1855 (served in Murats army, then joined 2 Sicilies army)
Carrascosa ??
Costa e de Medici ??
Millet de Villeneuve ??
Prince Pignatelli-Strognoli ??
Baron Livron ??

2 Sicilies (Neapolitan generals giving service to 2 Siclies, thats what they did!!)
Guglielmo Pepe 1816-1821, then 1848-55
Carrascosa 1816-??
Costa e de Medici 1816-??
Millet de Villeneuve 1816-??
Prince Pignatelli-Strognoli 1816-??
Baron Livron 1816-??

Mexico
José Álvarez de Toledo y Dubois 1813-??
Vicente Guerrero 1814-1831
Guadalupe Victoria 1814-29

Spain
Juan O'Donojú 1814-1821 (last gov.gen. of New Spain)
Joaquín de Arredondo 1814-1825 (colonial general in mexico)
José Zavala 1814-27 (fought San Martin)
Baltasar Hidalgo de Cisneros 1814-29 (vicreoy of argentina, naval officer)
José de Canterac 1814-1845 (fought Bolivar)

Brazil
Pierre Labatut 1820-38 (French general hired by Emp.Pedro I)
Dom Pedro (Emperor Pedro I)

hope these help! i'll try and find pics for these chaps tommorow....

Wannbe, thanks I will use them in the mod. But here is an idea, how about if we combine your 1815 mod and the new RoN mod into one kick-ass mod? See my proposal on the RoN Redux Thread. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

@Kaiser Franz, thank you. I can certainly use them, actually I already had done a few of them. Although I've to admit that I never saw historical generals for newly created countries.

@Thorgrimm, see my reply in the RoN redux thread

caesareke said:
When i play with Saxony, i find i impossible to do technological research, could this be a bug?

I just checked and Saxony starts with all starting techs from 1836, so you can't research at all. Thanks for noticing. It will be fixed for the next version.