• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35351)

Shah of Persia
Oct 18, 2004
Last edited:
I and G-klav were working on a 18th century mod, which would eventauly have a scenario going from 1815 to 1836...but its come to nothing. If you can do all of the maps and stuff like that, then i would help...with research etc..

I've done a part of the map, but the only thing I've done was removed the USCA, Ecuador, Bolivia-Peru and Argentina, their grounds minus trading posts are given to Spain. Also Mexico lost it's american possesions to Spain (don't know if this is correct though) Brazil is given to Portugal. Also I've removed Belgium and is given to the Netherlands. Greece is given to the Ottomans

I'm interested in undertaking such a project... though I want to start earlier - from 1700, 1740, 1763 or 1776...

And I'm not sure where I should start with the modding project either, it seems like such a massive undertaking - a bit daunting really...The extent of my modding (in Eu2/HoI) has been event writing. So I'm perfectly capable and willing to rewrite the eu2 events to conform to vickie province IDs and change the controlled/owned provinces on the map and the .eug files - but I admit that I'm really quite new to Victoria and thus not as familiar with it as I probably should be to undertake a mod project like this, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways - my problem is that the game seems to be primarily about industrialization and 1700 is too early for this; so what factories should come in and where? What should be there at the start? What of technologies? These are things I don't know the answers to and would very much appreciate input on...

The reason why I chose 1815 as a starting year is easy, the Napoleonic Wars just ended. Also from 1815-1836 many countries from South America declared their independence. Also it doesn't require any modding of techs or factories. The only techs that need editting are the starting techs of the various nations.

Fair enough - but I guess I just really want to play the Napoleonic wars (at the very least) in Victoria... as I've had a lot of fun playing the 1796 scenario in EU2 (its a GREAT game to play in mp if you only have a few hours - as in, if one of your players doesnt show, you can finish in 1 night) and I think it'd be even better in Victoria...

So far I've done this in America. The first picture shows South America. Colombia, Venezuela and Chile are independent but still in war versus Spain. Note: Uruguay is independent, but has the same color as Spain, which I'll change later.

SA.jpg

NA.jpg

The Second picture shows North America. I've removed all colonial buildings for now, so it will be easier to change boundaries later. I'm not sure yet about Spain holding California, New Mexico and Texas. Perhaps they should be given to Mexico?

Comments and suggestions about the maps?

Looks good. I'm no expert on history of the west - but I seem to remember it being Mexican controlled at this point, but I could be wrong. It just seems more appropriate than Spanish control.

Wannabe Tatar said:
The Second picture shows North America. I've removed all colonial buildings for now, so it will be easier to change boundaries later. I'm not sure yet about Spain holding California, New Mexico and Texas. Perhaps they should be given to Mexico?
All of those areas should become part of Mexico once Mexico revolts against Spanish rule. Spain would never have held onto those areas after losing Mexico, and they were part of 'New Spain' like Mexico.

Just done some reading about the Mexican War of Independence, and actually, I don't think that Mexico deserves to be independent at this stage. From what I've read it seems that the War for Independence between 1815-1820 was mostly restricted to local revolts and guerilla warfare.

I think the same should apply to Columbia and Venezuela. Chile should be largely occupied by the spanish, but remain independent and at war with Spain. About Argentina I'm not sure.

Wannabe Tatar said:
So far I've done this in America. The first picture shows South America. Colombia, Venezuela and Chile are independent but still in war versus Spain. Note: Uruguay is independent, but has the same color as Spain, which I'll change later.

SA.jpg

NA.jpg

Comments and suggestions about the maps?
Why Chile independent?

They initiated their War of Independence in 1811, so that is what I based it on. But like I said earlier it's a rough version, and I now I've done some more research I actually think all countries, except Uruguay and Paraguay, should become part of Spain again.

Wannabe Tatar said:
They initiated their War of Independence in 1811, so that is what I based it on.
If you are considering that, then, Argentina did it in 1810.. :rolleyes:

Wannabe Tatar said:
But like I said earlier it's a rough version, and I now I've done some more research I actually think all countries, except Uruguay and Paraguay, should become part of Spain again.
Much better... :D
Even Uruguay case is arguable...

I'm European, so I don't know much about South America.

About Uruguay, the only thing I could find is that Jose Gervasio Artigas launched a succesful revolt against Spain and that it later was annexed by Portugal and later it declared independence from Brazil.

Wannabe Tatar said:
I'm European, so I don't know much about South America.

About Uruguay, the only thing I could find is that Jose Gervasio Artigas launched a succesful revolt against Spain and that it later was annexed by Portugal and later it declared independence from Brazil.
Uruguay history is very complex... so, for the sake of simplicity, leave it for now as an independent entity... later with many events, maybe you will be able to simulate that better... but in my opinion, Uruguay, independent or not, will not change anything... :D

Generalisimo said:
Uruguay history is very complex... so, for the sake of simplicity, leave it for now as an independent entity... later with many events, maybe you will be able to simulate that better... but in my opinion, Uruguay, independent or not, will not change anything... :D
Speaking from an Argentinean point of view perhaps? ;)

My knowledge of the break down of the Spanish Empire is shaky, at best... so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that initially, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay were united under La Plata, Bolivia and Peru under the Bolivian Federation and Columbia, Venezuela and Ecuador under Gran Columbia?

My knowledge of the break down of the Spanish Empire is shaky, at best... so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that initially, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay were united under La Plata, Bolivia and Peru under the Bolivian Federation and Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador under Gran Columbia?

Mexico should break away with all of New Spain (i.e., North America) in an event. It really didn't have a war of independence with Spain, it was a civil war between conversatives (who won) and liberals who were very weak relatively. Until the rest of Latin America, Mexico broke away because Spain was too LIBERAL

1814: Bolivar sitting in Jamaica (and later Haiti) after losing first attempt at Venezuelean indepedence - Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela all belong to Spain in 1815

1815: Hidalgo and Morelas both dead after trying to overthrown Spanish viceroy in Mexico City - Mexico belongs to Spain in 1815

1815: Juntas in the Rio de la Plata debate indendence, but HAVE NOT CALLED FOR IT - Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay all belong to Spain in 1815

1815: Chile and Peru don't even know there is a struggle for independence :^D - Chile and Peru belong to Spain in 1815

From one of my Latin American history texts: "By 1815, with Ferdinand back on the throne [after having been exiled by Napoleon's Iberian campaigns], the Spanish crown appeared to have snuffed out its colonial rebellion

1816 - Bolivar back in South America
1817 - Argentina declares independence, San Martin marches over the Andes into Chile
1818 - San Martin has beaten the sparse royalist forces in Chile, Chile should either be independence or a satelitte of Argentina
1819 - Bolivar controls Venezuela (declares independence as Gran Colombia)
1820 - San Martin enters Peru
1821 - Bolivar proposes diplomatic annexation to rebels in other northern colonies, they turn him down...he marches into Colombia
1821 - Ferdinand accepts liberal constitution of 1812, Mexico City and Lima turn against him
1821 - In Mexico, Iturbide declares his famous "three guarantees" [religion, independence, and union], marches on and takes Mexico City, and declares himself emperor for life of an independent Mexico
1821 - Lima surrenders to San Martin, Peru independent
1821 - San Martin and Bolivar meet in Ecuador (at this point Gran Colombia should have annexed Colombia and Ecuador, but both of these latter nations should still be battlegrounds (i.e., royalist rebels))
1822 - Central American landowners ask Mexico for annexation...Mexico accepts
1823 - Iturbide abdicates the Mexican thrown; Central America declares independence
1823 - Bolivar enters Peru to beat up on the last of the royalist rebels/annex the last of the Spanish territory (I think rebels best represent the climate, but you might want to go with Spanish territory, which is TECHNICALLY accurate)
1824 - Royalists decisively defeated in modern day Peru
1825 - Bolivia declares independence, names Bolivar president for life
1830 - Gran Colombia has fallen apart, Venezeula and Ecuador break off from Colombia

Brazil

1815 - Brazil should be a satelitte or dominion of Portugal (established as "co-kingdom" in 1808)
1822 - Pedro declares, "I shall remain!"; essentially declaring independence from Portugal
1823 - Last royalist forces fall to the Brazilians; a Portuguese military expedition turns back without firing a shot

Hope that helps. If not, I have a lot of books on this stuff (Latin American history minor :^))

-Matt

Thanks for the info TheLoneTaco, any input will be greatly aprreciated. But most is already transferred back to Spain. Except for Paraguay and Uruguay. Paraguay overthrown the Spanish authorities in 1811. That's all I know about their independence. Uruguay is arguable, they also had a succesfull revolt against the Spanish in 1811, not sure about independence. But their official year of independence is 1825 when it seperated from Brazil.

Bolivian-Peru Confederacy only existed between 1836-1839 IIRC

Bolivia and Peru were seperate nations until that brief confederacy. The problem you will have (even with the best sources) is, "how do I represent this ingame?" From 1808-1825, each Latin American nation was...

Royalist
Self-government but still swearing loyalty to Spain
Small patriot movement
Large-scale patriot movement
Patriot government but no formal declaration of independence
Formal declaration of independence
Formal declaration, but no foreign support/recognition
Formal declaration, foreign support, but no recognition from Spain

I think only after 1836 (so in unmodded Victoria) did Spain start to recognize the new republics

I drew the line at "formal declaration of independence," but if you want to include Uruguay as independent in 1815, you accept "patriot self-government but still swearing (nominal) loyalty to Spain" - which is fine, and I don't want you to think I disagree :^) I just suggest making them some sort of dominion or satelitte instead of an independent nation. Note that in 1815 (that specific year), Spain felt like they had won the war against the patriots. They didn't send troops to Latin America, they didn't change colonial policy, etc: they didn't think they needed to. This ignorance helps explain why they were so unprepared come ~1820 when San Martin and Bolivar were beating the crap out of the royalists

-Matt