• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Zuckergußgebäck said:
Yay! He´s back!
Huzzah!! :D
I like the idea about syndicalist organization, but does it mean that everyone takes some sort of position, which he/she holds and controls and decides what to improve and what to leave out? Or should everyone just throw their efforts into one big mixture and then someone would pack it up and upload it?

Sarmatia1871 said:
Greetings All and Extreme Apologies for the lack of posting - Your efforts and capacity for self-organisation must be commended!

I've unfortunately had a huge amount of stuff to do over the past month, and am likely to continue to do so for the next few months (PhDs and associated activities have a tendency to creep up and take over your life, you know...). And so, as you've probably guessed, there's absolutely no time at my end for either posting or modding.

The council idea is brilliant - Syndicalism in Action! As well as Evans' ideas, what I'd also suggest for a next version would be:

* Integrate everything posted in between the last version and now into the game (as well as new stuff from last version of 'All the Russias').
* Write descriptions for existing events currently lacking them (eg. Balkan and Ausgleich ones)
* Go through the 'Files to be looked at' folder in the download, and integrate stuff in from there into the game files.
* Add some potential major war event-chains. Don't worry about these treading on any future plans -> Any events completed at this stage are good, and can always be made offset based at some point in the future to be less deterministic.

These shouldn't be too tricky to do, and could be a good way for people to start to learn to mod the game....

Also, before I went away, I put together the Papal Conclave events, with a potential for Austrian interference, which you can find here: http://www.filelodge.com/files/1673/PAPACY.txt
These all fire and work, but currently also lack descriptions (I can't remember if I had the Papal ministers in 0.3...? If not, these are done too).

The subforum would be a very good idea if this thing is turning into a more collaborative effort ( :) - I think I better sign the petition...) -> I wouldn't hold my breath about getting one here though, as I asked twice before (when activity here was much more intense!), but with no results (also see the current status of MDS, which has been going for longer, and still no subforum...).

And to make amends for my disappearence, I'll also host the 'Syndicalist atmosphere pack' that I put together a long long time ago on Rapidshare some time today, so stay tuned for this. And today I'll also take time out of my furious writing schedule to be available to answer any immediate questions on the above, or organisation ( :D - and receive abuse for my abandonment!)

I don't know whether to metaphorically hug you or metaphorically kill you :rofl: Now I can safely get back to pestering you about when the next release will be and if it's worth playtesting again yet ;)

P.S. And like I said, we could make an invision board- I think it would just help organisation a heck of a lot and we could easily go back and review stuff said before... ATM we've got 89 pages to wade through to find anything!

Sarmatia1871 said:
Greetings All and Extreme Apologies for the lack of posting - Your efforts and capacity for self-organisation must be commended!

And to make amends for my disappearence, I'll also host the 'Syndicalist atmosphere pack' that I put together a long long time ago on Rapidshare some time today, so stay tuned for this. And today I'll also take time out of my furious writing schedule to be available to answer any immediate questions on the above, or organisation ( :D - and receive abuse for my abandonment!)

Ohhh... I am so glad to see You again =) Now i become silent again :)

yehaw, finally a post. And comeon man, you can't be that employed :p
Bet he's playing doomsday and won't admit it :D

PLease tell me about these invision boards. I guess those are free boards?
If so, i would go for that!

Yet another intricate issue: Will we be concentrating on HoI2 1.3 or on Doomsday 1.1? If anybody knows about SMEP, some ppl have ported it to doomsday and it worked out quite well, and since we basically change the whole thing, i guess it would all work. Our first decision should be wether or not to port this to doomsday.

Evans said:
It's quite ridiculous that you can get them for free imho... It's like Image Shack being free.... why do they let us get away with it?

Invision Free Boards

Who would like to set up these free forums. I can't really mod, but I can organise some stuff and contribute ideas/research. Just Curious, how do people know what event IDs to put down.

Also I have an idea. For the council thing, the nominal head is Sarmatia but he only intervenes if he wants to. Beyond that we'll have a prime minister who oversees stuff and the a council/parliament (OK maybe I went a little far with the metaphor). Thank you Sarmatia for posting, but were you so busy you couldn't even post I'll be gone for X months he is in control until them. So uh, good bye for another long while I guess, :( .

Evans said:
I don't know whether to metaphorically hug you or metaphorically kill you :rofl: Now I can safely get back to pestering you about when the next release will be and if it's worth playtesting again yet ;)

:D - You should probably metaphorically kill me, as I have very little time to get anything done (what with chapters to write, research to do, an article to submit/publish, various high maintenance people to look after, conferences and related things to go to - plus not knowing where I'm going to be living for the next few months...!).

Regarding the neccessary division of labour, the most important job by far, and the one which no-one is going to want, is the actual integrator/releaser (General Secretary, if you will - :p ). This would be the person who actually puts all the submissions into the game. While not very difficult (if you know how the game files are all arranged and connected...) it is pretty time consuming, so not really something I can manage at the moment.

As far as the mod goes, the basic structure of it is of course there. What is still needed are tweakings/improvements (to things like OOBs, AIs and existing event chains), and some additions (eg. major event chains, ministers and leaders). So, it may be simpler if people make their interests known to everyone, and work and post stuff as it's done...

Sarmatia1871 said:
:D - You should probably metaphorically kill me, as I have very little time to get anything done (what with chapters to write, research to do, an article to submit/publish, various high maintenance people to look after, conferences and related things to go to - plus not knowing where I'm going to be living for the next few months...!).

Regarding the neccessary division of labour, the most important job by far, and the one which no-one is going to want, is the actual integrator/releaser (General Secretary, if you will - :p ). This would be the person who actually puts all the submissions into the game. While not very difficult (if you know how the game files are all arranged and connected...) it is pretty time consuming, so not really something I can manage at the moment.

As far as the mod goes, the basic structure of it is of course there. What is still needed are tweakings/improvements (to things like OOBs, AIs and existing event chains), and some additions (eg. major event chains, ministers and leaders). So, it may be simpler if people make their interests known to everyone, and work and post stuff as it's done...

I probably have enough time to be general secretary but not enough skill at modding. I could probably teach myself some stuff but may I be apprentice general secretary for now. How much time a day is time-consuming anyway?. Is it an hour a day or more or less than that?

GeneralHannible said:
Thank you Sarmatia for posting, but were you so busy you couldn't even post I'll be gone for X months he is in control until them. So uh, good bye for another long while I guess, :( .

Yep, apologies again! Was going to on several occasions, but the drive to be academically productive kept taking over (eg. remembered that starting to post here ends up taking much more time than you originally anticipated!)

Anyway, I'll try to keep as involved as I can here until the basic organisation for future work is arranged. Then, hopefully things can be set off to work like a clockwork machine....

Gen.Schuermann said:
yehaw, finally a post. And comeon man, you can't be that employed :p
Bet he's playing doomsday and won't admit it :D

PLease tell me about these invision boards. I guess those are free boards?
If so, i would go for that!

Yet another intricate issue: Will we be concentrating on HoI2 1.3 or on Doomsday 1.1? If anybody knows about SMEP, some ppl have ported it to doomsday and it worked out quite well, and since we basically change the whole thing, i guess it would all work. Our first decision should be wether or not to port this to doomsday.

See post above for my list of work!

Re: Doomsday -> I looked at the demo but I don't have it ( :D - was also very disappointed at what I saw of the editor - nothing for events - irr!). I don't think it changes the files that much - it basically seems like a big patch with an extra scenario stuck onto. So, I don't think conversion should be much of a problem...

I.C.ram said:
So Sarmatia's back, shall I start working on Hungary? :D

:) - Yep of course!

As a general guideline for everyone for future work, just make it known to what you're doing, so the whole thing can be more of a collective effort. It may also be an idea if everyone who wants to make events claims a range of IDs, so there are no conflicts (at the moment, all above 93000 are free).

And also, to make the General Secretary's life as easy as possible, try your best to submit actual completed and tested game files, that can just be pasted in to the correct folders with minimal effort.

I think I can do events but I have no clue what so-ever how to do AI. I'll do as much as I can though.

GeneralHannible said:
I probably have enough time to be general secretary but not enough skill at modding. I could probably teach myself some stuff but may I be apprentice general secretary for now. How much time a day is time-consuming anyway?. Is it an hour a day or more or less than that?

Ummmm, to get about two or three weeks worth of postings into a new version would generally take about 3-5 hours - but, this is with me knowing where everything goes, and with production-line style techniques to get things done as quickly as possible!

I can of course give as many pointers as are needed - and (as said above...) it can be made as simple as possible if people submit completed and tested files, so it just becomes a matter of cutting and pasting...

GeneralHannible said:
I think I can do events but I have no clue what so-ever how to do AI. I'll do as much as I can though.

Oh yes - just remembered some very useful files in the last version:

* db\events\kaiserreich\00 templqte.txt -
These are very basic event structures, that just need to be filled in (top one is multi-choice, second one is one choice). Most common command types are also down at the bottom.

* db\events\kaiserreich\Event Triggers and Commands -
Baylox's Indispensible Event triggers and commands sheet - everything possible to use in events is located here.

* db\events\scenarios\00 inc template.inc -
Properly laid out .inc file structure, if anyone wants to to add any new countries.

* files to be looked at\misc txt\army stuff.txt
To help creating OOBs in .inc files - has structures for new naval and army units.

Sarmatia1871 said:
See post above for my list of work!

Re: Doomsday -> I looked at the demo but I don't have it ( :D - was also very disappointed at what I saw of the editor - nothing for events - irr!). I don't think it changes the files that much - it basically seems like a big patch with an extra scenario stuck onto. So, I don't think conversion should be much of a problem...

As i said before the mod works perfectly with Doomsday. Just have to make the AI to send/use spies. And making events after 47 too :)

Sarmatia1871 said:
:) - Yep of course!

As a general guideline for everyone for future work, just make it known to what you're doing, so the whole thing can be more of a collective effort. It may also be an idea if everyone who wants to make events claims a range of IDs, so there are no conflicts (at the moment, all above 93000 are free).

And also, to make the General Secretary's life as easy as possible, try your best to submit actual completed and tested game files, that can just be pasted in to the correct folders with minimal effort.

I'll take 98000-99000, what do event IDs go up to anyway.