• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kaiser Franz said:
you said in an other thread you might include Bavaria....i can be of assistance in the department of leaders and ministers...thats is, if you wish.

Many thanks - Help is always wished!

I've already divided up my German ministers file into different regional groupings (Prussia; Rhineland; North-West/Maritime; Bavaria; Saxony; Wurttemberg; Lotharingia), but still would need military leaders for each of these - and new ministers are always great to have!

I believe there were also quite a few influential Bavarian rightists who died in the Night of the Long Knives, who would still obviously be alive in this timeline...

Pardon my question, but I've not grasped how the big war will look. So... how will it look?

Wämö said:
Pardon my question, but I've not grasped how the big war will look. So... how will it look?

:rofl: - No-one is to know!

The way I'm planning things is that rather than have the mod develop along a pretty linear historical storyline (eg. like in Vanilla HOI2, where events have to follow their historical path, up to point...), here the formation of alliances and power-blocks, and the wars following on from this, will be tied to a number of different events, with each major country having distinct choices of which path to go down, and how to react to other events.

So, for example, in different games:

* Germany may collapse completely into civil war/fragmentation, and the main conflict is likely to develop between the various successor states for global or regional domination (eg. Japan, whichever American power is in control, Syndicalists, Russia, etc....).
* In another the syndicalists may form a huge alliance and launch an all-out assault on Germany and the other powers.
* In another the syndicalists may become isolationist or collapse in the face of wars with their governments in exile.
* Or Russia (or maybe even some other country...) might attempt to create a grand Pan-Slavic state, at the expense of Germany's new order - and a major war will result from this.

And so on and so forth, with actual games probably having a mixture of smaller versions of these extremes.

Obviously, all this is going to require a lot of careful planning and extensive event scripting and testing, but it's doable and will make the mod as replayable as possible (and take advantage of the alternate history basis, in which you're not constrained by 'real events' in the game period!).

Juancho said:
@ CCurio: If you want, post the effects of the doctrines and I'll give it a shoot and try to ease your burden :D
I haven't yet really thought about them, mostly recovering from fatigue now and trying to think what the german tree would have for defense doctrines.

Okay, so it's Elastic Defence, Elastic Defence in depth...

On the attack it would, at least in start be infiltration attacks...

What sort of defence the french could try to develop to counter the infiltration attacks? As of now my ideas are restricted to hordes of militia/infantry holding the line while the elite core units do all the real work so to say...

Berlichingen said:
There are sheer size limitations for how big ships can be built, for example the German H-Battleships, after the H-40 were simply too big to be built anywhere in Germany. The H-44, the final design would dwarf the biggest and most modern U.S. Nuclear Carrier, the John C. Stennis!

Most nations would realize the limitations of size and the fruitility of just making ships bigger and bigger, eventually harbors just wouldn't be big enough and the emergence of aircraft increasingly makes gigantic ships just not worth it.

I think i might have not explained myself that good. I think the 20's BB's would be bigger than they were in RL, and by 1936-1940 GER would be building the biggest battleships that they would build, but then as industrial/electronics/radar technologies advance those huge ships would become more and more vulnerable. Higher speed guns and better directed fire would make smaller ships more dangerous, same with air power, by the 1940's smaller nations would have come up with things good enough to counter those big BB. I do not think that any nation would actually try to build an H44.

What sort of defence the french could try to develop to counter the infiltration attacks? As of now my ideas are restricted to hordes of militia/infantry holding the line while the elite core units do all the real work so to say...

Strategic reserves? Deep Battle? just thinking in some names of the top of my head that could apply to your ideas, but I'm really bad with names. Basically, for France you are thinking in Regular/Reserve Inf holding strong points and mot, amored units counter attacking? like some sort of def. in deep? using firepower to stop advances?

Juancho said:
Strategic reserves? Deep Battle? just thinking in some names of the top of my head that could apply to your ideas, but I'm really bad with names. Basically, for France you are thinking in Regular/Reserve Inf holding strong points and mot, amored units counter attacking? like some sort of def. in deep? using firepower to stop advances?
Yes, that was along the lines of my plan, but the reserve/people's army forces are heavily infantry based and I'm sure that the french high command wants that their precious mechanized corps are on a fierce attack. Mechanized support might not be avaitable at all so the infantry defending on sectors where mechanized forces aren't attacking would likely have to resort to WWI-ish way of fighting, with of course some refinements.

maybe you could use some of the ships mentioned on this page, look at the Führer class Battleship for example.
Its an alternative szenario, why not use alternative ships :rolleyes:
take a look at the other countrys navys to, its some interesting stuff :rofl:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/fuhrer_f.htm

I think i might have not explained myself that good. I think the 20's BB's would be bigger than they were in RL, and by 1936-1940 GER would be building the biggest battleships that they would build, but then as industrial/electronics/radar technologies advance those huge ships would become more and more vulnerable. Higher speed guns and better directed fire would make smaller ships more dangerous, same with air power, by the 1940's smaller nations would have come up with things good enough to counter those big BB. I do not think that any nation would actually try to build an H44.

Its also important to remember that almost every nation in the world besides Germany is weaker, the Royal Navy's dominance is gone, the French navy in shambles, the US and Japanese fleets are the best, and Germany, although having a strong navy, is increasingly becoming unmilitant in the 30s and building gigantic battleships that cost millions would be unwanted, hence i had the German navy concentrate on Battlecruisers, "poor man's battleships."

Also its harder to build a ship much bigger than the Tirpitz and Bismarck, or Yamamoto, so I fail to see your point that we need even huger and bigger ships in a world where more or less only 3 nations have big-gun fleets and of those three, two already built gigantic battleships. The US' soon to be collaspe and weakening means they will exit out of any naval race, so really we're talking about Japan and Germany, with possibly a re-emerging Britian, and both Japan and Britian would rely more on carriers. So its really no point.

Sarmatia1871 said:
:D - Possibly better dealt with via events rather than as a new tech-team!

However, they could be quite good to include, as if I'm not mistaken, they were originally organised to attempt to restore the Ming dynasty after the installation of the Qing, and only later developed into a primarily criminal set of organisations - so, they could act as a quite interesting counterweight/equivalent of the Millenarians in Southern China (eg. Legation Cities and AlgOstAsien territories).

Now, does anyone know of any prominent Triad members from the 1930s?

heres one...http://www.talesofoldchina.com/shanghai/people/t-peop01.htm shame i cant see the pictures...

Evans said:
Yeah just change the name to 'Kaiser Wilhelm' or 'Frederik the Great' class or something ;) :)

Yes, definitely needs a new name - Maybe something Wagnerian, like the the 'Wotan' or 'Siegfried' Class!

Berlichingen said:
Its also important to remember that almost every nation in the world besides Germany is weaker, the Royal Navy's dominance is gone, the French navy in shambles, the US and Japanese fleets are the best, and Germany, although having a strong navy, is increasingly becoming unmilitant in the 30s and building gigantic battleships that cost millions would be unwanted, hence i had the German navy concentrate on Battlecruisers, "poor man's battleships."

Also its harder to build a ship much bigger than the Tirpitz and Bismarck, or Yamamoto, so I fail to see your point that we need even huger and bigger ships in a world where more or less only 3 nations have big-gun fleets and of those three, two already built gigantic battleships. The US' soon to be collaspe and weakening means they will exit out of any naval race, so really we're talking about Japan and Germany, with possibly a re-emerging Britian, and both Japan and Britian would rely more on carriers. So its really no point.

Yeah, it did seem likely that besides reasons of national prestige (which was often tied to the production of uselessly big battleships in the pre-war period), there wouldn't be much real point for ever-increasingly large ships - especially if you're saying that they can't really be built!

(Out of interest and showing my complete lack of knowledge of all things naval - would these H-Class Battleships be bigger than carriers, and if not, how did Germany plan to build carriers in real life?)

However, I suppose you could attempt to have some rationale for developing huge gunned battleships to act as super-diplomatic gunboats -> So, more designed to threaten coastal cities with bombardment, than to actually be used in naval warfare...

(I'm just thinking that a 1984-style 'almost unsinkable Floating Fortress' would be quite cool!)

CCurio said:
Yes, that was along the lines of my plan, but the reserve/people's army forces are heavily infantry based and I'm sure that the french high command wants that their precious mechanized corps are on a fierce attack. Mechanized support might not be avaitable at all so the infantry defending on sectors where mechanized forces aren't attacking would likely have to resort to WWI-ish way of fighting, with of course some refinements.

Goodgood! Right, you're French doctrine path branches off in two - so to reflect this, one of these could give mostly mechanized/speed bonuses, and the other infantry -> That way you'd give the French player an initial choice, to reflect what he starts focussing on...

lifeless said:

I can't see the pictures either, but it's a very good site - I can see things hotting up in the Legation Cities, with opium magnates, secret societies, corrupt policemen and European adventurers trying to take advantage of the increasingly chaotic Chinese situation - :D !

And Tu Yueh-sen really needs an important job - Not only the boss of Shanghai's gold, gun, 'slave-girl' and opium trades (while on the Board of the Opium Suppression Bureau!), he apparently 'led a charmed life, thanks, he believed, to the dried heads of monkeys that were always fixed to the back of his long gowns'...

Whoever can find me a picture of him will get a suitable reward!