• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the praise, everyone. Ian and I had a blast playing, but I'm sure he had a better time, considering he spanked me.

Now we shall analyze the game for you, perhaps we'll all learn something!

I have determined that there were two serious opportunities for me to defeat the Axis, and two less serious. They are as follows:

1. The attempt to surround the Italo-German forces at Forte Capuzzo. This was unfortunately foiled by Ian's counterattack at Mechli to break the circle, but I still managed to destroy at least one division. I'll let him elaborate on this.

2. The attempt to cut off Axis forces from Tripoli by seizing Agedabia and isolating Bengazi. Unfortunately Ian saw what I was doing and counterattacked me at Mechili. Another opportunity lost, but with even larger repurcussions, which I will discuss a little later.

Of the less realistic and more romantic attempts:

3. I tried to lure Ian into El Alamein. Once he arrived, my plan was to immediately counterattack to force him back to Fuka and Gerawla, employing my tactical bombers to ground attack him and destroy his forces, much like he did to me earlier. Unfortunately I botched this attempt. I realized my errors and tried again.

4. Finally, I tried this again, but instead of splitting my forces I attempted to charge into Fuka and surround Gerawla instead. It failed, but you see the plan. I should have tried this the first time.

I attribute my defeat to airpower. After the Italo-German counterattack at Mechili, my forces were absolutely raped by the Luftwaffe. I lost entire units solely to airpower. This was my Stalingrad. After this point, there was no realistic hope for victory. My Kursk, then, would be the second attack into El Alamein. Airpower ruled the skies, hence the title of this AAR, Vultures In The Sky.

Atruejedi said:
1. The attempt to surround the Italo-German forces at Forte Capuzzo. This was unfortunately foiled by Ian's counterattack at Mechli to break the circle, but I still managed to destroy at least one division. I'll let him elaborate on this.
After he arrived in Mechili, I immediately shocked to notice that my supplies were effectively cut off. This is why I stopped all of my other plans and attacked Mechili at once.

Atruejedi said:
2. The attempt to cut off Axis forces from Tripoli by seizing Agedabia and isolating Bengazi. Unfortunately Ian saw what I was doing and counterattacked me at Mechili. Another opportunity lost, but with even larger repurcussions, which I will discuss a little later.
Once again, I was surprised at first at this poor turn of events. I had been using air sporadically, and this was when I decided to just throw everything at him (considering my ground troops were doing poorly). To my surprise, it worked fairly well. I had to take the initiative and send my ground troops back into battle, even if their organization was a bit low.

Atruejedi said:
3. I tried to lure Ian into El Alamein. Once he arrived, my plan was to immediately counterattack to force him back to Fuka and Gerawla, employing my tactical bombers to ground attack him and destroy his forces, much like he did to me earlier. Unfortunately I botched this attempt. I realized my errors and tried again.

4. Finally, I tried this again, but instead of splitting my forces I attempted to charge into Fuka and surround Gerawla instead. It failed, but you see the plan. I should have tried this the first time.
I was baffled at first and had no idea why he had retreated immediately after retaking the area, but my instincts told me this was a trap. My org was low, and the infrastructre in that province was around 15%. I knew waiting for both areas to heal would be my best bet and I proved to be correct.

Atruejedi said:
I attribute my defeat to airpower. After the Italo-German counterattack at Mechili, my forces were absolutely raped by the Luftwaffe. I lost entire units solely to airpower. This was my Stalingrad. After this point, there was no realistic hope for victory. My Kursk, then, would be the second attack into El Alamein. Airpower ruled the skies, hence the title of this AAR, Vultures In The Sky.
I guess this means I could have ended the game a lot earlier if I had just charged, but I was weary after my close calls earlier in the game, especially concerning Italian ground forces. Either way, I agree that Axis air power saved me in the end.

Applause for this AAR. It was short, intense, and amusing. I suggest you perform an Operation Husky AAR next! :)

Yes very nice AAR, pictures speak a thousand words.

And nice to see your tactical decisions. Like I said before I was surprised to see such an aggresive Britain early on. The attack was well executed, but the Benghazi bend is very tough. That is why the Axis player also deserves a plum for being bold enough to wait with the counter and also not retreat further back. Very nicely done and hope to see more of your games.

So? It would be fun to watch and see what would happen. During my first days of HOI2 I actually lost a D-Day as the allies and felt very indignant, since I had been about to start a major offensive that would have won the game for me. Also, I didn't really lose, per se. I got driven back along the coast but the whole time my lead units would take provinces along the coast and then my rearguard units would run away towards them. It was bizarre.

Atruejedi said:
I'm not sure if this is a compliment or a rip. :)

Nonetheless, if you enjoyed the AAR, I'm glad. I had a fun time, but it was long, long ago... :p

...long, long, long, long ago. But it was still good.

Great AAR, nice to see you kept of fighting even though it son became helpless. Nice job i loved this short, yet entertaining AAR. :D :D

Phoenix Dace said:
So? It would be fun to watch and see what would happen. During my first days of HOI2 I actually lost a D-Day as the allies and felt very indignant, since I had been about to start a major offensive that would have won the game for me. Also, I didn't really lose, per se. I got driven back along the coast but the whole time my lead units would take provinces along the coast and then my rearguard units would run away towards them. It was bizarre.

Are u kidding? I almost always lose to the German AI in D-Dat scenario

Good and fun AAR, if short. I've never played MP before, so it was very interesting to read.

Edit- lol, just realised how this was a hugely bumped thread, so the AAR writer probably isn't around anymore. Oh well.

Last edited:
rcduggan said:
that was a huge bump. but good aar

No it was two huuuuuuuuuuge bumps. How long till a mod locks this thread? Gentlemen (and ladies as well presumably) place your bets!