Well finally after half a dozen false starts and frustrated deletions, I have finally completed updating the Vanilla Byzantine Mod. The mod is compatible with 1.4 and should not have any problems. That being said I have recieved strange error messages from one-time problems and I have seen that my code has been corrupted in a couple places; while I have been looking for these problems, I may not have found all of them.
I included the AIcolonyresolve.txt event file because I think its nifty.
I also included a background event that should fire Jan 3
Because of the extensive changes and revisions the mod can no longer simply overwrite files and keep them the same, so I have included in the install file the JSGME modswapper.
Version 1.7 Vanilla
Just install this into your default Victoria folder, the original from paradox is C:\Program Files\Strategy First\Victoria. With the new patch, I have made enough changes
that I can no longer simply overwrite files. As such, for this to work you will need to use the JSGME modswapper, included in the mod. So long as you have the latest patch
for Victoria (1.4), this scenario will work without any problems. There should be no need to backup any files because the JSGME doesn't actually overwrite files to work.
If you want to change or update my mod I would just like some recognition for my efforts. And to keep you from being worried I only used unused country flags. Ruthenia is
an unused tag in the game, like SEI.
Changes in version 1.7
Made it compatible with the 1.4 patch
Changed most AI files to interact with the Byzantines
Completed the Byzantine AI
Added a Socialist Byzantium AI
Changes in version 1.6
Changed the Byzantine Flag
Added a several new events
Corrected over a dozen errors in my code
Changes in version 1.5
Completed conversion of event files
rewrote pop files for Greece and Turkey
more changes to the monarch list
Added continuity events between Victoria and Hearts of Iron II
Fixed scenario loadup screen
Changes in version 1.0
Converted Byzantine VIP into Byzantine Vanilla
Created an installer for the scenario
Finally while this seems redundent here is the background description I created:
In 1453, Mehmed II was captured and ransomed back to the Ottomans for a hefty ransom and large amounts of territory. From here the revitalized Byzantine Empire, under the rule of Constantine XI the Great, quickly recaptured Greece and the Aegean Sea. An alliance between Venice and the Byzantines allowed the Empire to quickly overrun the Ottomans and by the end of the 15th century all of Anatolia was added to the rapidly growing Empire. Despite a civil war in the early 16th century, the Mameluks were exiled from Egypt by 1650. The alliance between Venice and the Byzantines collapsed at this point when Venice seized Alexandria. A new alliance between Genoa and the Byzantines quickly brought Venice to its knees and all of the Venetian possessions in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea were ceded to the Byzantines. After these victories the Empire spent nearly a century securing its gains. Finally, in 1716, Alexius VI, later known as the Warrior Emperor, brought the Empire into direct conflict with the rising Austria by seizing large swaths of the Balkans. After a series of wars between the two powers, a peace treaty was signed in 1750 that created stable borders until the First Balkan War a century later. The final territorial expansion in the 18th century was under the leadership of Ioannes XI. In 1778, he led a series of expeditions to conquer Iraq and add the region to the Empire. Ioannes XI was also famous for beginning a series of reforms to modernize the Empire. Despite his attempts to create a western style economy, he strongly resisted all attempts at Westernizing the Empire. These reforms would have to wait for another century, until the rule of Emperor Ioannis XIV.