• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Snake IV said:
Revolt. I've acctally already played the game finnished now. (First GC I've ever finnished acctually. Normaly I leaves the game if it goes too bad to come back later. And you know what that means ;) And I could make those big jumpes in time here.) There will be something like three or four more updates as I've already perdicted.

Yahoo!!!

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory

In the late 17th century a new concept in the world’s politic arena arrived; nationalism. Due to the great powers rapid expansion they needed more money. They got it through higher taxes, often in conquered areas. This gave rise to hatred against the occupation power from which nationalism later grew. This happened to mostly Austria, Poland and France and especially in French Scandinavia. France was also the one who had the hardest time fighting the revolts the nationalism gave rise to. When France started to fall Poland at first took opportunity of that taking over former French territories claming that they could not hold them but just some decade later nationalism stoke hard in Poland making it fall and losing most of the territory taken from France too. In the 18th century a civil war broke out in France making the fight even harder but which the then current king won.

At the same time as the countries had to fight rebels they had to go in field with other nations also. Russia fought Poland several times due to their instability and as did Spain, England, Sweden and Austria against France even though Austria also had revolt problems. Austria did however handle the problem well and held their empire together. This situation continued for a long time with Austria growing slow but steady and smaller nations taking bigger areas occasionally, both at the cost of France or Poland.

With the French civil war in the end of the 18th century the inhabitants of Mainz, as many other German cities, took the opportunity and took up arms against their oppressors. About the same time Austria went in war with France and they did not cooperate with the German liberation armies and treated them the same way as the French. Austrians took the most of the French German possessions but they never took Mainz so after controlling their city for some years they once again declared their independence from France on December 1st 1772. France immediately answered with declaring Mainz war.

1772.gif

Europe December 1772

The Archduke was again placed on the throne as there was no time arguing about the leader as the French threat had to be dealt with the very moment as an independent nation on a much higher level than before. There were some who though that Mainz should join Austria but Austria rejected their suggestion as they had begun peace negotiations with France and Mainz as an Austrian city might hurt them. This was however not known to Mainz.

Duke of Wellington said:
France, Austria and Russia are looking impressive. Should the wars of Napoleon occur they will be impressive.

hehehe...I can imagine that...Fun to see that the Golden Horde is still alive!

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory.

When the Archbishop got the power he immediately set to work. First he borrowed money as Mainz did not have any at all. He ordered the construction of an as big army as possible, however only with infantry as it was the only Mainz could afford. In a couple of month a brand new army of 7000 men was ready in Mainz but it was not ordered to France to not risk it. Soon more men were recruited to make the army bigger.

October 2nd 1773 Austria and France accepted peace on the terms of that Austria got Champagne as the people had wished to be a part of Austria but that Austria should pay an amount of money for it. This was bad new for Mainz as they now had to fight France almost all by themselves. It turned out that Mainz army was of so good quality that they won most battles on Mainzian ground. Mainz defeated several French armies of two five and one with ten times their size. The latter had however some polish units in it which had equipment of lower quality. The Archbishop tried to make peace with France referring to the many battles they lost but the French king would not accept peace on any circumstances.

In May 1774 Mainz army had reached the size of 30.000 infantry soldiers. It was now Mainz did their first big mistake. Instead of holding their positions and repulse all French attacks they moved eastwards to siege the French owned city of Würzburg. As they did so they left no defenders in Mainz as they thought they should be back soon. Of course France moved in and laid siege on Mainz. No of the armies were big enough to assault the cities. Mainz did best progress and was about to take the city when they did their second big mistake. A rebel army arrived outside the walls of Würzburg in September 1779. They were not interested in cooperating with Mainz at all and were ready to fight Mainz for them to leave. There was no doubt that Mainz should have won a battle but Mainz army left Würzburg. The inhabitants of Würzburg would not get any necessities at the same time as Mainz would be able to get France away from their capital. The soldiers saw this as a defeat and did not fight as good as usual when they later clashed with the French forces. France won the battle and Mainz retreated away into French territories. The number of soldiers was now down on 7000 men. The army was around in France without anything to do as they had no chance beating any bigger French forces.

After some years being hunted by France Mainz army marched north towards the city of Münster. That Mainz was not captured yet was because of that France fought other countries on other fronts too. They did not have enough soldiers to take Mainz. Münster was a quite big city with German standards but had a very small city wall. It was small enough for Mainz army to make a serious attempt on taking. August 28 1780 Münster fell and just a month later France took Mainz. The Archbishop went to Orleans (where the French king was exiled as rebels held Paris at the moment) personally and begged the king to make peace but he was rejected. He dared that as he was a represent of the Catholic Church. Mainz army soon after fought its last battle against France and French forces laid siege on Münster.

Munster.gif

Das Rathaus of Münster; last residens for the goverment of Mainz (though not the Archbishop) before the peace.

Just some days before the fall of Münster England declared war upon France on the 2nd of January 1782. Their ally Portugal joined the war. As France now faced big enemies they accepted peace with Mainz for all the gold Mainz has left. Mainz had fought hard and many of the citizens had died for their country but in the end it was just a big portion of luck that saved them form France.

Last edited:
That was some great luck you had there! Now there´s another problem, how are you supposed to repay the loan?

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory.

After the war Mainz had very bad finances. Mainz had taken several big loans and had gone bankrupt twice. But instead of paying the money back Mainz borrowed more money to pay for the colonisation they had started with. The Archbishop considered that he and the court needed a place to go in exile to and that that was more important than good economy. The choice of Mainzian colony became the area called Bangor in North America and colonists were sent there. The first attempt did not do so well but the second did successfully claim the area for Mainz and build up a small society there. More money was borrowed and more colonists were sent to the colony which had got the name Neue Mainz. In August 1807 the population rose over 1000 inhabitants and was given city privilege. Mainz begun to build a colonial army at this point and did attempts of colonising more in the area.

Most thought that the Archbishop should move his interests back to Europe when Neue Mainz was considered a city but he did not so. Instead he enlarged the colonial army even thought there was none in Mainz itself. It was soon clear that the army not was for defensive purposes, as the size was unnecessary big, but for offensive ones. A war against England or Spain was not likely so the only probable enemy was the Native Indian tribe of Huron.

Native Americans were all after in military technology and they still mainly fought with bows and arrows. But there were two things that made a war with Native Americans hard. The Indians had learned one thing military from the Europeans and that was the use of fortifications with garrisons in important areas. That meant that an invader had to have rather big armies to take the area completely. The other thing that made American wars difficult was that it was hard to get reinforcements if the operation went wrong. This applied very much in Central America where the Aztecs did conquer vast areas if they did manage to defeat the Spanish conquistadores.

April 2nd 1811 Mainz’s colonial army did enter Huronian land and some days later Huron and another American tribe Shawnee declare war upon Mainz to give the appearance of civilized nations. Mainz plan was to do three summer offensives and retreat to their own land in winter. Hopefully they would be able to take all the fortifications in Huron in that time. However, they turned out to be wrong. Mainz suffered from higher casualties than expected and reinforcements was hard and took long time to get. In the end it was a good year if they managed to capture one fortification. In open battle Huron did not give any resistance even with big numerically superiority. In the end it took seven years to take control over all of Huron and de facto make it a colony of Mainz.

Mainzcolony.gif

Mainz colonies 1818-1826.

In the winter of 1817 Mainz did fool and recruit many Huron Indians to Mainz’s army. In the spring they were fully equipped and educated and the size of the army now marching on Shawnee was almost 30.000 men. The invasion was quick but not without losses. In the late months 1818 everything but one fortification was captured but so many had died that no more progress could be made. After some time of negotiation with the tribe chief Mainz made peace with Shawnee on the terms of that Shawnee had to give away about half of their land. The American war was Mainz greatest victory since the defeat of The Palatinat in 1421 and the greatest victory in America accomplished by a European nation ever to that point.

After the colonial war the Archbishop had become old and he considered that the Church should no longer practise politics and rule over territory. He and Austria’s Emperor Franz II agreed on that Mainz and its colonies should be handed over to Austria when the Archbishop died. December 1st 1826 Mainz did disappear from the map to never return again but their story should be the proudest for the German people for centuries and centuries to come.

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory is finished. It has been a good experience for me I must say. I want to thank all readers, espesially Saulta, coz1 and Duke of Wellington. Without your support I would probably not make it to the end. It has been very importent to me. It will take a while before I will return to EUII AAR writing but I will return with something I have begun thinking of now which will hopefully be of better quality than this. Hope to see you in that one.

Snake IV

EDIT: I became not three more updates but the which were became much longer instead so it should make no difference.

Last edited:
So, the end of this aar...congratulations, you´ve done something I´ve never succeded with, finshing an aar. It really was a great aar, can´t wait until you begin with your next one, :D

Your AARs are really great, espaccaly this one is very entertaining, I hope to see more AARs from you. :)

Just read this. A fun story, a credit to you for keeping it going.

Well, that is luck. A third of the readers show up AFTER the AAR is finished.

Say did you come here for the AwAARd or WWII in colour or something like that?

Snake IV said:
Well, that is luck. A third of the readers show up AFTER the AAR is finished.

Say did you come here for the AwAARd or WWII in colour or something like that?
Actually... Yes! :D (AARLand Choice Awards -- linked in signature)

Sorry I didn't make it here earlier! You have a very good writing style, and I am impressed that you had the patience and perseverence to wait for a revolt to bring you back into power!

I'll keep an eye out for more of your AARs!

Rensslaer

I think someone voted for it over there.

stnylan said:
I think someone voted for it over there.
Not officially at least.

*takes some seconds to think, goes to the awards thread and looks for stnylans votes, find them, gets back*

Did some one of you give me a sympatie vote? :)

Snake IV said:
Now I'm curious, how did you make it here from AARLand Choice Awards?
Well, personally, I'm taking the time to at least glance at all the AARs that meet the criteria (which basically means looking at all that have had anybody comment since the 1st of the year).

This is certainly not required to cast an informed vote in the AARLand Choice awards, but I do get to see some good AARs (some haven't really updated this year -- they have feedback only -- so don't qualify).

It's good to look around! For instance, I would never have found this AAR, or Phargle's, or Fnuco's, had I not been looking around for the various AARs that could be considered.

Thanks for your votes!

Renss