• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Snake IV

46 Badges
Sep 24, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory

In 1419 Mainz was a rather weak German state whit a small army. There where no alliances and no royal marriage whit any significant country at all. That it was a seat of an Archbishop and that it was an elector of the Holy Roman Empire didn’t help much. The Palatinat, an other German city state, had claims on Mainz so under the last years to 1419 they had build up an army of 15000 men for the porpoise to concur it. On the 4th of January war was declared upon Mainz and the Palatinat army begun marching towards the city. On the 19th of February the armies clashed on the shores of Rhein. The Mainz loss was devastating. 5000 men were lost. The realms of the army retreated out of sight for the Palatinat. Because the Mainz army was not capable to do anything they were not followed. Mainz army marched south to Heidelberg, the seat of the Palatinat duke, and camped outside the walls.

mainz_2.gif
The Mainz Cathedral.

The city of Mainz had not been any more if it were not for the German city state of Kleves joined the war upon the Palatinat. An army from Kleves soon arrived outside Heidelberg and helped whit the siege of the city. The army was so big that the Palatinat did not try to liberate their capital from the enemies outside the walls and hoped that they would capture Mainz before the united Kleves and Mainz army would take Heidelberg. But they did not. On the 2nd of January Hessen joined the war and on the 27th Heidelberg fell. Because Mainz most skilled diplomat still were in Hessen no peace were made. Mainz garrison surrendered on 21st of March and the Palatinat army marched south. On the 30th the armies clashed once again. This time the Palatinat lost witch meant disaster for their duchy. A new siege on Mainz begun; this time by Hessen. The defence of Heidelberg was abandon and the remains of the Palatinat army begun a siege on the city. But it was too late. On the 12th of April Mainz was recaptured and by that was the Palatinat erased from the map.

lux_kr1.jpg
Kleves saves the days.

Some years of peace and wealth now begun in Mainz. However, as quickly as the old war ended a new started. On February the 3rd 1428 the drunken king of Hungary insulted the archbishop of Mainz, face to face whit his ambassador, calling him a fat German mollusc who should be executed instantly. The archbishop of Mainz declared war on Hungary the very next day. In Hungary they laughed but in Luxemburg they took it very seriously and joined the war on Hungary’s side. Luxemburgs great army soon had besieged Köln, a new ally to Mainz. After some time Köln fell but so did Luxembourg to Kleves. After inherit Köln to Luxemburg their army now begun marching towards territory owned by Mainz. They met no resistance because they had totally destroyed Mainz army some time before. Because their entire army camped outside Heidelberg Kleves now could continue their concur of Luxemburg without much resistance.
The Luxemburg army did “kehrt euch“after their capture of Heidelberg and went home to retake Luxembourg. But before they succeeded did Kleves dictate a peace giving them Köln. Mainz and Kleves now signed an agreement making Kleves vassal of Mainz. At this stage the Luxemburg army was heavily reduced to 7000 men and by that smaller then Mainz brand new army. Mainz did a successful attack on Luxemburg and made them their vassal in the peace.

In January 1436 did Kleves declare war upon Gelre and thus England and Aragon who where in the alliance. England easily advanced through Burgundy that they already were in war with and towards their German enemies.

Last edited:
This is game that won't be played much farer than what's written.
I play v1.08 latest beta on very hard/normal. This is my first AAR ever so go ahead and say what can be done better.

Snake IV, bad speller.

EDIT:to make the AAR look more interesting I have post screenshot and pictures.

EDIT, as of july 2006: I have to tell I think the latter parts of this AAR is good. However, the early parts is of not so good quality, I belive there are still some parts somewhere that I have never read myself. If you want to read, and I hope you do as it's a very interesting game in my opinion, keep in mind that when I begun to write this was the biggest piece of work I had ever done in English, even before the first page ends, and in the end of the AAR it would be more of everything else put togeather. This AAR learned me alot and I think you will be able to see that if you read.

Last edited:
I like it, and who cares about the spelling, nobody is perfect... :p

You do? Than it was the layout after all. Some 40 people passed whitout saying a word. (Goosh, you'r younger that I am. I tought I had the record :D )

As native German speaker I tell you that "Der Frei Stadt Mainz" should be changed to "Die freie Stadt Mainz" :D

But go on. I also tried it with Mainz but I didn't have the patience to wait until I grew bigger.

Madrick said:
As native German speaker I tell you that "Der Frei Stadt Mainz" should be changed to "Die freie Stadt Mainz" :D

But go on. I also tried it with Mainz but I didn't have the patience to wait until I grew bigger.

When you say it I remember that's right. The name of the thread got even worse. Der freie :rolleyes:

Because the English had taken territory from Burgundy before the small German states joined came their peace quite quickly. In June a treaty was signed that gave the provinces of Flandern and Zeeland to England. The German armies made little against the huge English once which pored in from the islands. And the situation just got worse. In August did Gelre annex Hanover, thus it became the biggest German nation (Friesen were already inherited), and English armies crossed Mainz border. Just days later did Burgundy changes their mind joining the Mainz alliance and declaring war on England. The main Burgundian army went however towards Orleans even thow they could get to the Netherlands, Strassburg was at this point a member in the alliance, where they where badly needed. In September 1438 Luxemburg surrender to the Englishmen giving them their entire fortune.

mainz_1.jpg

The less inportant city of Orleans is sieged by Burgundian forces.

On November the 3rd did Castle and Portugal declare war on Navarra, Englands allied, followed five days later by France. Englnad were now in war against so many nations that the government of Mainz now thought that they should be driven out of the continent for good. An army was built for the porpoise of concur Flandern to Mainz. The campaign was successful at a beginning; Mainz took Flandern and Calais and started on an attempt to take Zeeland. However as France, Burgundy and Castile had made peace whit Englnad they now could focus on their German front. When the peace was signed was Mainz army on retreat and Calais was on the edge of falling. The peace gave Mainz Calais which was not a good economic province as Flandern but a good strategic province preventing England sending men to the continent as they sill where in war there.

pal_kr3.jpg

mainz_2.jpg

England has a rough time(upper). Mainz after the first English war(lower).

After the sign of the peace the economy got worse. The army, which moved to Gelre because they were still at war, was too expensive to entertain so a loan was necessary. If that not was enough so did England annex Strassburg on in April 1443. Mainz now made total peace to make it possible to stabilise their economic situation. But just three years later had Burgundy a tough that they should take opportunity of the French/English war that was in full progress so they declared war upon Gelre once again. The French were not much help however so after a year of fighting Mainz made peace giving back Calais and leaving their allied in the mercy of England. In January 1448 France made peace giving the German minors an even darker future. The Germans where however doing well. Gelre fell apart giving Burgundy Friesen and Kleves Munster plus that they now was Kleves vassal. As if the situation was not bad enough did France declare war on Burgundy to make life a living hell for the German dukes.

Last edited:
Funny that Mainz got Kleves as vassal after Kleves seemed to do all the heavy lifting in you first few wars. ;) But if it works, why not.

It's been a bit rough, but so far you seem to be doing pretty good. Keep it up.

Mainz has a very good diplomats ;) . I have royal marrige whit almost all my neigbores. Besides has Mainz army been totaly eliminated several times :( .

Snake IV said:
Your signature didn't look like that before. And why kvack? You know, ducks are snake snack. :D

Yes, but ducks can say...kvack :p

At the start Burgundy did quite well against the French taking Lyon and lying siege on Nevers and later Reims where Mainz army helped. But after around a year French retook Lyon, pulled off the Burgundian sieges and marched over the border into Artios. By this stage a peace treaty was signed. Burgundy had too pay war indemnity of 108 ducats. Whit the peace did Burgundy inherit Luxemburg to their country.

mainz_3.jpg

Part of todays Luxembourg. 1453 annexed by Burgundy.

Just four month after the peace whit France did Burgundy drag Mainz and Kleves into a war again, this time against Lorraine and their entire alliance whit Helvetia, Hessen, Würzburg, Saxony and Siena. This was a disaster as Kleves still was in war against England and each of the enemies had an army ten times the size of Mainz which was very poor at that moment. Würzburg sieged Mainz whit 15000 men and a combined army of 77000 men sieged Heidelberg. A the time it was clear that Heidelberg should surrender within six month did Kleves finally accept peace whit England and their big army laid siege on Hessen. But it was too late. Heidelberg surrendered to the Hessen lead army in April 1455. If Mainz did not give away the area concurred from the Palatinat 30 years earlier to Hessen they had been eliminated. The war ended whit failure from Burgundy as Kleves were the only who could defend themselves. To ensure that this would not happened again did Mainz enter royal marriage whit all their neighbours.

Lorrainewar.jpg

The disastrous Lorraine war.

It took just three month until Burgundy declared war again. This time against Denmark to drive them out from Geldre. In Mainz they were really tired of all war Burgundy dragged them into and did not join the war. They had no army so they would not bee able to do anything anyway. The goverment of Mainz though that too expand from now an alliance whit France was necessary. But Mainz had no luck. The economy went bad, a loan was taken, and in 1459 there were still no alliance whit France.

Last edited:
Yikes, some bad luck there, but keep it up, things will be better later, and then you will have lots of time for...Revenge...

Tough times, it seems. I take you had to give up Calais somewhere down the line? Good luck staying alive.

Rebels poped up and eliminated me. :( If you guys wish to I could load the autosave and play from there or write a final update. Playing as the rebeling country Franconia is also a coise. What do you think?