+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy Universalis II

Beware of the HoG
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Diplomacy Universalis II

All,

I only participated in the first one, so I dunno if there was ever a sequel. If memory serves, I believe the original gave out shortly before the end*, so I doubt it. If that's the case, this seemed the best name short of Balance of Power, which has a nice ring I've sadly already put to use. If not, well, Red can blow me.

Speaking of, I haven't seen him around for a while. He was bugging me to get an old-fashioned powergame together a bit ago, but I never got round to it and he's disappeared from ICQ. If, however, somebody has a line on him or he's poking his nose around here still, he's certainly very welcome to join us.

As a base, this game will run on the conventional Diplomacy Universalis format, but various ideas have been had of late that I believe could be useful for scoring and directing the course of the game in a more meaningful way. Most of these arose in TOH, TfG and The Old World, and I'll go into them more later.

Basically, each player takes on the role of a Gray Eminence, a power behind the throne, who guides a country during some formative period in its history, usually 40-60 years (or 2-3 sessions). At that time (usually staggered, with half or a third of the players switching every week), the dice are thrown and the music starts and the Eminence changes chairs. France one week may become Austria the next.

The purpose here is manifold. First, it promotes a fluid diplomatic situation, shattering the common practice of eternal alliances or even longterm NAPs. Second, it simulates the influence of different regimes on the policies of a country. And third, it keeps everybody's experience fresh and entertaining, and forces them to think in the short-medium term rather than planning hundreds of years in advance.

I'll have more later. But I wanted to see how much interest there was in another game like this first.

We'd be playing Sundays, as that's the best possible slot for an EU II game, at the conclusion of FAL's Finding Neverland, presumably in the next four-five weeks. I'm open to another day with an earlier start if there's interest, but there's a great possibility I won't be able to take on another game (and certainly as GM) before that time anyway. I'm also convinced it's the most adaptable day for this sort of thing.

*France DOWed Austria while I, as England, was CTDed and then failed to rehost. I believe there were some other difficulties as well, involving edits and the host save or some such nonsense.
    Last edited by HolisticGod; 04-11-2005 at 07:25.
    HG

You want to live where the suffering is/I want to get out of town/Come on, baby, give me a kiss/Stop writing everything down/Both of us say there are laws to obey/Yeah, but frankly I don't like your tone/You want to change the way I make love/I want to leave it alone
    -Leonard Cohen

Good luck with that. I wish I could have played, but I guess it's for another time.
    ICQ - 314-872-293

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Its so fucking unfair that my connection has to give out .
    I play eu MP. So should you...

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Rest in Peace, Daniel Auby

Cyborg
    HoI AnthologyDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'm game, definately if you wait till FN has finished.

In fact, if you hadn't started this thread, I would have

interesting, but i want to see Daniel A in such game mostly

well, Archduke mentioned in DU1 was very few number of manus
    Nothing changes internality of my soul,i will go my straight way to do everything which i suppose to be useful and fair
    Russian League | EU2MP Stats | EU3MP Stats | Leaders Generator Project | All Leaders DB | All Monarchs DB | HoI2/AoD MP Stats

Latest MP Games:
    Europa Universalis Classic (1520-....) for France(1520-1688)
    Battlefield Europe (1453-1819) for Venice (1599-1799)
    The History Channel (1419-1819) for Ottomans Empire (1706-1819)

Completed AAR: WC for Chimu v1.05: What could i reach
    Never Completed AAR: Orleanne WC in 1547

If you play on Sundays, somewhere around FN time, I'm in.

Sounds like a very interesting idea, you can use a noob like me in there
    ICQ#: 270-540-271

Quote Originally Posted by Tonioz
    interesting, but i want to see Daniel A in such game mostly
    Hahahaha yes, Daniel would have to seriously alter his playstyle for a game like this

Cyborg
    HoI AnthologyDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzeh
    If you play on Sundays, somewhere around FN time, I'm in.

Sounds like a very interesting idea, you can use a noob like me in there
    If you are noob, then I am Napoleon.

But the Diplomacy Universalis concept is extremely newbie friendly, because of the nation switching. If a newbie fails in a war, he can give it a new shot with another nation.

In real life countries had good and bad monarchs and that will happen in this game too.

Quote Originally Posted by FAL
    If you are noob, then I am Napoleon.
    Aren't you? If not, I will have to seriously reconsider my strategy in FN.

it is nice to play at the same game with Napoleon vs newbie I`ll bet on newbie fleet
    Nothing changes internality of my soul,i will go my straight way to do everything which i suppose to be useful and fair
    Russian League | EU2MP Stats | EU3MP Stats | Leaders Generator Project | All Leaders DB | All Monarchs DB | HoI2/AoD MP Stats

Latest MP Games:
    Europa Universalis Classic (1520-....) for France(1520-1688)
    Battlefield Europe (1453-1819) for Venice (1599-1799)
    The History Channel (1419-1819) for Ottomans Empire (1706-1819)

Completed AAR: WC for Chimu v1.05: What could i reach
    Never Completed AAR: Orleanne WC in 1547

Quote Originally Posted by Tonioz
    it is nice to play at the same game with Napoleon vs newbie I`ll bet on newbie fleet
    Napoleon is no admiral of course

Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I'm definitely interested in this one!

The original DU was great fun, shame I had to quit after a couple of sessions because my internet connection died on me.
    Se mikä ei tapa, vituttaa
    ICQ# 167644968 | MSN rapoikel@cs.helsinki.fi

Slave To The Power Of Death LuisPivo's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

In few words: can I play?

The sunday is the worst day for me but, in this class of game, I think that you could use a "permanent" hangover player to fill a rooster or a hole in the rooster (sub).
    "La vida es algo terrible, y tras el telón de lo desconocido asoman atisbos de demoníaca verdad que la hacen a veces infinítamente más terrible"

EU2 AAR: Cuentos BávAARos
    Algunas traducciones de guías para EU2
    MSN: luispivo#msn.com
    Sabbath, Sangriento Sabbath y Comentarios y AAR
    Sabbath , Sangriento Sabbath II y Comentarios y AAR II
    The Time Machine y AAR

ESCENARIO EC

BANG THAT HEAD THAT DOESN'T BANG

Quote Originally Posted by LuisPivo
    In few words: can I play?

The sunday is the worst day for me but, in this class of game, I think that you could use a "permanent" hangover player to fill a rooster or a hole in the rooster (sub).
    Would be nice to play a second game with you Luis I always love how you stuntle around with the English language

Slave To The Power Of Death LuisPivo's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Would be nice to play a second game with you Luis I always love how you stuntle around with the English language
    You are not the only one that find my different way to bable english funny. Unluckyly, my boss don't find funny the way that I degeneate my scarces spanish writting habilities with some English language
    "La vida es algo terrible, y tras el telón de lo desconocido asoman atisbos de demoníaca verdad que la hacen a veces infinítamente más terrible"

EU2 AAR: Cuentos BávAARos
    Algunas traducciones de guías para EU2
    MSN: luispivo#msn.com
    Sabbath, Sangriento Sabbath y Comentarios y AAR
    Sabbath , Sangriento Sabbath II y Comentarios y AAR II
    The Time Machine y AAR

ESCENARIO EC

BANG THAT HEAD THAT DOESN'T BANG

Lt. General
    Europa Universalis: Rome

Ahha I remember playing in the first one. I'm interesting in this one (Depending on date's played)

Antipope
    Europa Universalis 3Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Let me just work something out.

4 X 5 = 20

You are playing 20 hours a week of MP!!!!!

I believe that is getting close to dangerous levels of computer use

As some have indicated this is definitely not my kind of game. So my dear Tonio and Ozzeh, you will never see it happen, I can assure you

The longterm build up of a nation to its maximum is what I prefer. To build up a nation skilfully and then see some warmongers (names withheld on popular request) put its assets to use versus e.g. yourself would be a nightmare

But you may as always ask me for subbing whenever you are in need of a keen explorer/coloniser and economiser rather than a bloodthirsty war maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob
    Let me just work something out.

4 X 5 = 20

You are playing 20 hours a week of MP!!!!!

I believe that is getting close to dangerous levels of computer use
    Nonono. This game will only start after FN. So I play 3*4 + 1*5 = 17 hours a week of MP. Thats less

And I do intent to cut back. Balinus said there will be no soon followup to the newbie game, so when thats finished my wednesdays will be free.

Antipope
    Europa Universalis 3Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

And I do intent to cut back. Balinus said there will be no soon followup to the newbie game, so when thats finished my wednesdays will be free.

What??? No follow-up newbie game.

I think not, me and Cobjor will just have to make our own game, then I can name it properly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast