Thread: What kind of game is this?

Topaz-Fisted Demi-God Moderator Mr. Capiatlist's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries

What kind of game is this?

The title says it all, what kind of game style is GCII? Is it like EuII, with a risk-styled map; or is it like the Civ games? Is it like Empire Earth, or like a first-person kinda game. The screen shots I've seen are not helping me much to figure this out. If it is like EuII or EE, I'd be very interested in buying, but if it is a first person shooter... well... my enthusiasm is limited.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I gotz to know!
    -Mr. Capiatlist (Ink well):

When I speak in Rose, I do so as a Moderator. :: Forum Rules | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2 | Interactivity Rules
    (Never quote or otherwise publicly respond to my rose text. If you have a problem: PM me.)

The Place With No Darkness - Ministry of Love - Oceania
    Think of it like a toned-down Civ in space. At least, the first part, which I played. Luckily, we'll have a demo to try it out before paying

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club

The original was essentially civ in space. GalCiv II seems to incorporate a couple of elements from the MoO series, however.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships

Blog Entries
    The it is turned based I assume?

I like where this is going. And the demo should be very helpful.

When I speak in Rose, I do so as a Moderator. :: Forum Rules | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2 | Interactivity Rules
    (Never quote or otherwise publicly respond to my rose text. If you have a problem: PM me.)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

United Bloody States of Metric F*cktons of IC
    Wait, what does Paradox have to do with Galciv2 and Stardock?
    Chinese Historical Improvements (CHI) Project for HOI3

Consolidated China Improvement Pack (CCIP) for HOI2
    HOI2 | Doomsday | Armageddon | China players beware

Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

200k club500k club

Paradox will publish the game.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Castellon
    Paradox will publish the game.
    ...In Europe.
    ç
    Fantasia for EU3 Version 1.5 is up: Now provinces are different in tax and native size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King of Minors
    ...In Europe.
    Much to the dismay of curious little me.

I've never played MoO before, so I think I need clarification on that part. What is MoO like?

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Capiatlist
    I believe someone else will publish it in NA.
    ç
    Fantasia for EU3 Version 1.5 is up: Now provinces are different in tax and native size.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by King of Minors
    I believe someone else will publish it in NA.
    Strategy First, as I recall.
    “We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”
    -T.S. Elliot

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've never played MoO before, so I think I need clarification on that part. What is MoO like?
    MoO is alot like Reach for the Stars.

Standard 4x gameplay. It's weird, but the more details these things are given the harder it is to make a fun game. RFTS was great with (count'em) 5 ship types, and MOO was great when there were basically 4 good weapons (think EU tech tree) and you just built thousands of each ship (seriously, it was great when the AI would have fleets rollover at 32767 - let's have some bounds checking, people!).

Still, we can hope.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Blog Entries
    Can you guys stop comparing this game to another game. I am new to this kind of game! So, is it turned based (a turn off for me) and what is this 4X I keep hearing about?! (<-- Only a thousand times worse)

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Can you guys stop comparing this game to another game. I am new to this kind of game! So, is it turned based (a turn off for me) and what is this 4X I keep hearing about?! (<-- Only a thousand times worse)
    4X = Explore, Exploit, Expand, Exterminate
    Go into the emptiness, strike voids, bypass what he defends, hit him where he does not expect you. (Ts'ao Ts'ao - commentary on Sun Tzu's Art of War)
    Paradox Collection: CK, EUII, EUIII, Vicky, Vicky-Rev, HoI I, HoI II, DD

GalCiv is a turn-based strategic space empire building game. More info on the official website : http://www.galciv2.com/

Blog Entries
    Great, now I am eager for a game that hasn't been released yet!

The Place With No Darkness - Ministry of Love - Oceania
    I suggest you don't miss SE5 instead:

http://www.malfador.com

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well i got the beta and i'm very impressed with the package.This game could ship now, very nice interface,the screenies don't do justice to the game it looks great.The A.I is already wipping me, unlike CIV4 where i won on the standard first game, in normal on GC2 i got a good hammering.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

United Bloody States of Metric F*cktons of IC
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 101
    I suggest you don't miss SE5 instead:

http://www.malfador.com
    I would get SE5 if only I knew how to play SEIV without getting wiped out.
    Chinese Historical Improvements (CHI) Project for HOI3

Consolidated China Improvement Pack (CCIP) for HOI2
    HOI2 | Doomsday | Armageddon | China players beware

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambourmajor
    The original was essentially civ in space. GalCiv II seems to incorporate a couple of elements from the MoO series, however.
    I do hope a few of the "original" features I've heard about, such as fighting wars by proxies, makes it in there as well, as the previews indicated.
    “Those who disregard the past are bound to repeat it.”—George Santayana

"Never pet a burning dog."
    - Warcraft II

"I'm tired of this back-slapping "aren't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are." - Bill Hicks

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbery76
    Well i got the beta and i'm very impressed with the package.This game could ship now, very nice interface,the screenies don't do justice to the game it looks great.The A.I is already wipping me, unlike CIV4 where i won on the standard first game, in normal on GC2 i got a good hammering.
    Do post a few more detailed impressions if you are able to do so (time/NDA permitting).
    “Those who disregard the past are bound to repeat it.”—George Santayana

"Never pet a burning dog."
    - Warcraft II

"I'm tired of this back-slapping "aren't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are." - Bill Hicks