• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmerged(4271)

General
Jun 6, 2001
Introduction

It started off with an idea...

We have a lot of forum members who have never played board game Diplomacy before. Some forum members organized a Play-By-E-Mail (PBEM) game and posted regular updates in this forum.

But simply watching the results of a Diplomacy game does not covey all that is really going on. It's like seeing the scores of an athletic event without actually seeing the competition. So, in order to be truly instructional, we needed to go a step beyond that.

We found seven people who would agree to play a PBEM game, but each turn would log their thoughts and strategy, sending them each turn to the GM. When the game was over they would be posted, with each turn, sort of like a multi-player After Action Report (AAR) showing the strategy and thinking of each player in a real game situation.

It took some time to compile everything, but here are the results.

Thanks for everyone who played (though slightly less thanks to those who abandoned the game in progress! :p ) for not only slogging through it, but for keeping and sending their notes. Special thanks to Catknight who did all the work administering the game and (along with Josephus and others) hosting the maps.

This thread will be closed until the entire "game" is posted.

Feel free to open a Comment Thread for any discussion. :)

Hope you enjoy it!

- Heagarty

Last edited:
The Players 1901 - 1908

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu (Spring 1901 - Summer 1903)
CIVIL DISORDER (Summer 1903 - Spring 1904)
Petrarca (Spring 1904 - End of Game)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen (Spring 1901 - Fall 1907)
CIVIL DISORDER (Winter 1907-Winter 1908)

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Lazboy General (Spring 1901 - Summer 1903)
CIVIL DISORDER (Summer 1903 - Winter 1903)
State Machine - (Spring 1904 - Winter 1907)
CIVIL DISORDER (Winter 1907-Winter 1908)

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Petrarca (Spring 1901)
Formula51 (Spring 1901 - Fall 1901)
Czar1111 (Winter 1901 - End of Game)

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

GAME SET UP

Unit Locations:

03 Austria: A Budapest, F Trieste, A Vienna.
03 England: F Edinburgh, A Liverpool, F London.
03 France: F Brest, A Marseilles, A Paris.
03 Germany: A Berlin, F Kiel, A Munich.
03 Italy: F Naples, A Rome, A Venice.
04 Russia: A Moscow, F Sevastopol, F St Petersburg(sc), A Warsaw.
03 Turkey: F Ankara, A Constantinople, A Smyrna.

Ownership of supply centers:

03 Austria: Budapest, Trieste, Vienna.
03 England: Edinburgh, Liverpool, London.
03 France: Brest, Marseilles, Paris.
03 Germany: Berlin, Kiel, Munich.
03 Italy: Naples, Rome, Venice.
04 Russia: Moscow, Sevastopol, St Petersburg, Warsaw.
03 Turkey: Ankara, Constantinople, Smyrna.

12 Unowned: Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Greece, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Rumania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Tunis.

spr01.txt

Initial Comments - Spring 1901

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

I have three nations that are of immediate concern: Russia, France and Germany. I have secured neutrality with Russia and have been offered an alliance by France against Germany and an alliance with Germany against France! I have taken the anti-French option. Why? Because France is, in my view, more experienced than Germany. If I can take out Paris early, I shall be able to stab the Kaiser much more easily, especially in conjunction with the Czar. On to Paris.

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Lazboy General
(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

Germany, interesting, I read quite a bit about them when preparing for England (in the other Paradox game). From the messages I received it became obvious quite soon that the "standard" split of the board (Eng/Fra/Ger being one group) would be the basis for negotiations. both Russia and Austria prefered a neutral border, and this isn't to my disadvantage either, so I gladly accepted. It seems obvious that England wants a German-English alliance to crush the French quickly, and that the French seem to think the same about a English-French alliance to crush me quickly. Burgundy is a somewhat troublesome point, I don't think I have convinced France to leave it open, but I'm just gonna risk the loss of Munich for the gain of the whole of the lowlands. Even if he takes Munich, I still get 2 builds, unless the English and French really cooperate to keep me from getting builds. but then again, if I try to bounce Burgundy, I certainly won't get more than 2 builds, now I can still hope for it.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Formula51
(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

I drew Russia. Great. I know Russia tends to find a lot of success, but I’ve only had one winning campaign with them, and I’m not sure I can pull that off with the players I’m competing against.

I expect I’ll try to play a bit conservatively, and prepare for a southern campaign, with Turkey as an ally. I’ll send simple offers to Germany and England dealing with Scandanavia and will try to measure their receptiveness before proposing anything serious. I would instead like to focus on the South, and get Turkey out into the Med and weaken Austria so we can pick up their supply center’s at out leisure. Then in mid-game, I’ll look to France’s success/failure to determine which way to move.

My dilemma is how to defend the North, if England opens aggressively and the south, if Austria moves against me in force.

I’ll see what I can broker in the North. I don’t want to grow too fast, as having 4 centers already will already spook some people.

Here’s some progress reports of this turn’s diplomacy:
------------------------------

England has rejected my No Army in Nwy proposal, but seems willing to work against Germany. I’ve made a proposal to secure Scandanavia for me while helping England into Germany. If he bites I could be looking at Sweden and Rumania in 1901 and Norway and Berlin in 1902.

Germany has asked for a DMZ but not further cooperation. EVERYONE is warning me against England. I have proposed formal deals to England and Germany for splitting the North. Luckily, I think I have France on my side to keep England and Germany from teaming up. With luck, both will be at each other’s throats. I have tried to stay friendly with Germany, but I have given England “fair warning” to try to get him to back down from aggressive move I cannot defend. I also hope I can get Germany to not bounce me if he moves Kie-Den.

In the south, I immediately contacted Turkey and would like to cement a strong relationship with him to dismantle Austria from the start.
Austria has approached me about taking out Turkey. I am cooperative but noncomittal. Turkey, whom I have tied my fortunes to, seems very willing to ally. He tells me Austria has proposed a division of Russia. I’m going to trust Austria on this.

I’ve sent a friendly note to Italy as well. They could be a huge help in taking out Austria. Italy responds to no one, and the player has dropped. A new player has entered and I sent a friendly, no-proposal e-mail to him, just mentioning I’d like to work together in the future.

France has contacted me about England and Germany. If there’s an opportunity here, I will consider it, though truth be told Austria is my greatest concern. A long term arrangement with France is not out of the question. I think of all the other players on the board, the play of France may ultimately be what makes or breaks me, in terms of things I cannot directly control.

Let’s see what happens.

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Hmmmm. An interesting start. I know one player fairly well from the Eutopia RPG and he happens to be Russia…my neighbour. I decided that he would make a nice ally initially as I charge up the Balkans. Well wouldn’t you know it, he emails me first with a similar proposition. He suggests we don’t waste time doing the Black Sea Bounce. I’m inclined to agree….if I fall to a stab this early, then it’s an early exit for me.

I’ve had some press from England. I believe that our two geographical positions make it easy to share a secret agreement….let’s divide the spoils of Europe between us and then duke it out if we have to.

My immediate enemy is Austria. No word from him yet. I’ve sent out feelers to Italy too. I may have come on strong, basically telling him that everything west of the Ionian Sea was his…but stay away from the East Med. We’ll see what he makes of it. IF Russia and I make a quick meal of Austria, then it might be time to climb up the Italian boot.

This leaves Germany and France. For now it would be nice to see them battle it out, weakening them for the mid-game. We shall see.

Two days later I get a note from Austria. He wants to ally with me and take Russia down. An interesting proposition, but doesn’t really suit me. I’ll play along with him right now and see how it goes…….

We have a new Italy now. I sent him a note telling him the same as I told the previous Italy, but also added that Austria seeks to advance as far south as Greece, and that it might be best if he were to raise sabres with Austria.

If I can convince Italy to go to war with Austria, that might make the Balkans campaign that much easier.

RESULTS - SPRING, 1901

Movement results for Spring of 1901.

spring01.txt

Austria: (Anzu)
A Budapest - Serbia.
F Trieste - Albania.
A Vienna - Trieste (*Bounce*).
England: (Leglaen)
F Edinburgh - North Sea.
A Liverpool - Wales.
F London - English Channel.

France: (Lazboy-General)
F Brest - Mid-Atlantic Ocean.
A Marseilles - Spain.
A Paris - Burgundy.

Germany: (ForzAA)
A Berlin - Kiel
F Kiel - Holland
A Munich - Ruhr

Italy: (Formula51)
F Naples - Ionian Sea.
A Rome - Naples.
A Venice - Trieste (*Bounce*).

Russia: (Heagarty)
A Moscow - St Petersburg.
F Sevastopol - Rumania.
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia.
A Warsaw - Galicia.

Turkey: (Josephus I)
F Ankara - Constantinople.
A Constantinople - Bulgaria.
A Smyrna Hold.

Unit locations:

03 Austria: F Albania, A Serbia, A Vienna.
03 England: F English Channel, F North Sea, A Wales.
03 France: A Burgundy, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, A Spain.
03 Germany: A Kiel, F Holland, A Ruhr.
03 Italy: F Ionian Sea, A Naples, A Venice.
04 Russia: A Galicia, F Gulf of Bothnia, F Rumania, A St Petersburg.
03 Turkey: A Bulgaria, F Constantinople, A Smyrna.

03 Austria: Budapest, Trieste, Vienna.
03 France: Brest, Marseilles, Paris.
03 Germany: Berlin, Kiel, Munich.
03 Italy: Naples, Rome, Venice.
04 Russia: Moscow, Sevastopol, St Petersburg, Warsaw.
03 Turkey: Ankara, Constantinople, Smyrna.
12 Unowned: Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Greece, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Rumania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Tunis.

No retreats.

Comments: Fall 1901

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

I have discussed things with the Czar and Kaiser, and I hope to get both Norway and Brest. I am leery of letting Germany get 3 builds, but I think it is needed in order to keep our alliance(?) alive. The Czar seems to be apologetic, but we shall see. I also hope that I have deceived the French, but this is doubtful. I am worried about an G/F alliance...

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Lazboy General
I'm changing my orders due to a possible Franco-German alliance. I'll trust my other neighbor, even though I shouldn't. If Germany is allied with England, I'm dead anyway. If not, this means a useful alliance that can help me survive...

Damned if I do, damned if I don't...%$^%

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

Nothing unexpected in the west, and I can continue to pretend to both France and England that I support them against the other. Munich is somewhat open, but I don't really consider this a risk. If France takes it, I will still most likely have 2 builds, while at the same time I can take the role of victim of a vicious French attack. If France doesn't take it, so much the better, 3 builds and plenty opportunity to choose either France or England as my ally. An English alliance is more likely, but if I get three builds, I have good hope that I can sell 2 armies and a fleet to both as a support for their struggle.

I could even ignore the west, and head east.
3 builds would be excellent, and leave me the choice to Spring next year, and 2 builds would still be a solid start.
Yes, I really think this has been a good start- now just hope there's no secret French-English plot to attack me, that WOULD leave me in a somewhat difficult position.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Formula51
(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

Well, well, well, what a surprise.

England chose NOT to advance against me, moving south against France instead.
I am now in position not only to take Sweden, but also to block England in Norway. Do I do it?

In the south, Turkey has held true and Austria also did what he said, despite my insistence on a bounce. It also appears that Italy and Austria are, in fact, hostile. Perhaps due to the change in players?

What’s the next step?

England is, expectedly, upset about my move North, but I have acknowledged that I erred in my interpretation of his moves.

Germany seems to be key here. Germany also did what they said they would do, and we have not contested each other’s claims. I want to keep friendly with the Germans as long as I can. Germany and England seem to be working together. I have asked Germany their opinion on the England question and I have asked that I not bounce the fleet headed to Norway.

I think I will allow the English to take Norway, and see where this goes. I don’t need too many enemies too soon. France, of course, would love to see me active against England.

I have heard from the new Italy, and simple pleasantries were exchanged. I’m staking my game on my alliance with Turkey, but it doesn’t hurt to have a Plan B.

The question is what to do with Galicia. Keep it there? Go for Vienna? Go for Budapest?

Italy has suggested some Anti-Russian intrigues from Turkey, but I’m not buying them. And yet.....

Perhaps Galicia should simply support RUM, just in case there IS a Turkish stab?

What to do? What to do? I am actually sick now, with the flu, and the deadline is upon me. I think I will, in fact, stay put in St. Pete. But do I try for Vienna? Nope, too many chances he’ll either stay in VIE or move to TRI and be blocked. Do I stay put? No sense in that. Either I will support RUM defensively or I will move to BUD. I can’t hold it, but I can deny Austria a build. I can’t see any scenario where a healthy Austria is good for me.

What to do, what to do....

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Well an interesting round. Difficult at this point to figure out what is going on. England and France didn’t do the customary English Channel bounce…do they trust each other that much? Or did England stab France already? France also seems to be at peace with Italy judging by their moves. I may have to talk to France.
Germany’s moves show an obvious trust with Russia, so he’s obviously gonna go after France. Can’t figure out the Italians. They want me to support them into Greece, bypassing Tunis for now. My feeling is I don’t want to go to war with the Italians already so I’ll do it…but now I’m thinking that maybe Italy has a deal with Austria….
Hmm..

RESULTS - FALL 1901

Movement results for Fall of 1901.

fall01.txt

F Albania - Greece.
A Serbia Supports F Albania - Greece.
A Vienna - Trieste (*Bounce*).

F English Channel Convoys A Wales - Brest.
F North Sea - Norway.
A Wales - Brest (*Bounce*).

A Burgundy Supports A Ruhr - Belgium.
France: F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Brest (*Bounce*).
France: A Spain Hold.

F Holland Supports A Ruhr - Belgium.
A Kiel - Denmark.
A Ruhr - Belgium.

Italy: (Formula51)
F Ionian Sea Convoys A Naples - Tunis.
A Naples - Tunis.
A Venice - Trieste (*Bounce*).

A Galicia - Budapest.
F Gulf of Bothnia - Sweden.
F Rumania Supports F Constantinople - Bulgaria(ec).
A St Petersburg Hold.

A Bulgaria - Greece (*Fails*).
F Constantinople - Bulgaria(ec) (*Fails*).
A Smyrna - Ankara.

Unit locations:
03 Austria: F Greece, A Serbia, A Vienna.
03 England: F English Channel, F Norway, A Wales.
03 France: A Burgundy, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, A Spain.
03 Germany: A Belgium, A Denmark, F Holland.
03 Italy: F Ionian Sea, A Tunis, A Venice.
04 Russia: A Budapest, F Rumania, A St Petersburg, F Sweden.
03 Turkey: A Ankara, A Bulgaria, F Constantinople.

04 Austria: Greece, Serbia, Trieste, Vienna.
04 England: Edinburgh, Liverpool, London, Norway.
04 France: Brest, Marseilles, Paris, Spain.
06 Germany: Belgium, Berlin, Denmark, Holland, Kiel, Munich.
04 Italy: Naples, Rome, Tunis, Venice.
07 Russia: Budapest, Moscow, Rumania, Sevastopol, St Petersburg, Sweden, Warsaw.
04 Turkey: Ankara, Bulgaria, Constantinople, Smyrna.
01 Unowned: Portugal.

Adjustments:
Austria: Build 1
England: Build 1
France: Build 1
Germany: Build 3
Italy: Build 1
Russia: Build 3
Turkey: Build 1

Comments: Winter 1901
(Build Phase)

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

All right, now I'm pissed! Or on the other hand, no I'm not pissed, I'm ROYALLY PISSED!!! Firstly those sneaky, bloody spaghettis with their sneaky, bloody backstabbing antics AGAIN tried a go with their sneaky, bloody A Ven-Tri, and on top of that, the vodkastinking horde and the kebabs tried to take me out as well. Or as the Phantom of the Opera said: So, a war against all of you!!! >:-(

The worst thing is that it was expected as EVERY SINGLE ONE of them suddenly stopped the Diplomacy completely. A piece of advice for new players: If you plan to stab someone, never, ever, stop talking to them, as that makes people paranoid and defensive. Now, as I knew what was coming I calculated what my best moves could be and played thereafter. The only thing that really happened this turn was to stop me from getting two builds, and of course, to make me royally pissed at practically everyone.

I hope that Italy soon understands that it's impossible for him to do anything if he keeps attacking me like this and that Turkey sees that Russia is the big threat here, not me…

Hrmpf!
Drop dead, you bastards…

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

(No Comments Submitted

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Considering the circumstances, this round couldn't have gone much better. The Brits gained one, but that'll go away in the spring. Germany is acting like an ally. I will be albe to build a fleet in the north.

I hope I can slip in to the west and snag Liverpool...possibly Edinburgh before the Germans get in position. This will create some parity. Germany is focused on the east (so he tells me), so if I can manage to get the lions share of English SCs, then I can have my choice of allies and targets.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I don't think the Englishman really has a bead on my playing style, yet. I'm going to take advantage of that if I can.

I expect a fleet in London to protect E.Channel, which means I can threaten Liverpool in the fall.

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

It looks like both France and England (still) trust me, that's certainly positive. Now to convince both of them that my set of builds is clearly in support of their side of the struggle. Building a fleet means I have one less army to throw at France, but if it keeps him unaware of my plans until after spring, it's probably worth it, since that would give me a good chance of getting into France in spring, and possibly take Paris in the Fall.
Later thoughts, after some more diplomatic mail:
Looks like it will be impossible to convince both England and France of the sensibility of my choices.. ah well, guess the cover is blown, and I'll have to commit full scale

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Formula51
(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

(No Comments Submitted

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Stupid Austrians…making a lunge for Greece, when his own backyard is vulnerable. Doesn’t he not realize that Greece falls well within my sphere of influence….I think a friendly reminder is in order. I’ll also tell the Italians to consider climbing up the Adriatic and seize Trieste. Once Austria is gone; I’ll deal with the Italians.
Britain also seems weak….it seems to be facing a German/Franco alliance; not to mention Russian pressure in Scandinavia. I’m thinking that the French will turn their designs towards Italy shortly.
I’m gonna build a fleet and try to dominate the East Med in case the Italians get strange ideas. We’ll see where the next year takes us.

RESULTS - WINTER 1901
(Build Phase)

Results of Winter Build Phase

winter01.txt

Adjustments:
Build A Trieste.

Build F London.

Build F Brest.

Build A Kiel.
Build A Munich.
Build A Berlin.

Italy: (Czar1811)
Build F Naples.

Build A Warsaw.
Build A Moscow.
Build A Sevastopol.

Build F Ankara. * failed, occupied *

Unit locations:
04 Austria: F Greece, A Serbia, A Trieste, A Vienna.
04 England: F English Channel, F London, F Norway, A Wales.
04 France: F Brest, A Burgundy, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, A Spain.
06 Germany: A Belgium, A Berlin, A Denmark, F Holland, A Kiel, A Munich.
04 Italy: F Ionian Sea, F Naples, A Tunis, A Venice.
07 Russia: A Budapest, A Moscow, F Rumania, A Sevastopol, A St Petersburg, F Sweden, A Warsaw.
03 Turkey: A Ankara, A Bulgaria, F Constantinople.

07 Russia: Budapest, Moscow, Rumania, Sevastopol, St Petersburg, Sweden, Warsaw.

Comments: Spring 1902

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

Last year Russia grabbed the keys to victory, took a good look at them, and then simply threw them away. Italy NMR:ed himself out of the game and Turkey screwed up his builds even more than that. Now, I really look forward to the turn that should have finished me off.

The new Italian regime finally seems to understand that the Ven-Tri is not going to get him any friends, Russia has stretched his forces too thinly and can not defend all his units now and Turkey is wide open to an Italian convoy into Asia Minor. We really do live in interesting times as Terry Pratchett could have written…

In the west, Germany looks like he's about to swallow France whole, and poor ol' England looks like he's had a dose of the luck o' the Irish, as he has not got much of a chance to hold Norway without German help or to do anything on the continent.

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill at Lord Mayor's Luncheon, Mansion House, London, November 10, 1942.
I'll be back, you bastards…

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

After a solid attack on France that failed to gain an SC, I am now reduced to defending for this turn whilst my ally Germany(who built all armies in the Winter-fantastic result!) attacks France via Burgundy/Picardy. I also am hoping for Russia to renew its southern attacks. I can only hope so.

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Well. Germany says he's offering his help...BUT...the offer is a liitle too strange. "Here, take Belgium, and I'll support you". Makes no sense. He said he'd have the supply center replaced with another, so...it's quite possible he's looking at Paris or Marseilles. Given my initial planned move for Spain and the possibility to take Belgium, both armies would be completely out of place to protect Home SCs. Not a good thought. Germany's communications have been too spotty, and England a little too confident of a German attack on France.

So...I will continue my effort to knock out England, but play defensively against Germany. If Germany is serious about an alliance, I would do well not to antagonize him and attempt to attack where I'm not wanted (for now).

I have a feeling I'm about to be screwed by the German. He just fed me the same line Britain did about our "alliance" right before he stabbed me.

Can't these guys come up with something new?

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

Ah, too bad the French didn't take the bait when I offered Belgium.. if he had, I could've had two Armies bordering Paris in Fall.. oh well.. It's time to proceed with the invasion of France. It's surprising how long France thought I was not going to attack him.. or atleast pretended he didn't think so.
Slow but steady is the plan for now.. and a wheel east is still reasonably feasable should someone decide to attack.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Czar1111
In Diplomacy games it is quite common for two completely separate conflicts to break out early in the game. The Western conflict has England, France and Germany and the Eastern has Austria Hungary, Russia and Turkey. Italy, therefore, is the odd man out.

Italy’s position on the board and the fact that Italy’s natural capture
(Tunis) is out of the way mean that Italy can remain non-committal early in
the game and capture a SC without really upsetting anyone. The big danger
for Italian players is that many remain uncommitted and when one of the
regional (Eastern or Western) conflicts is resolved Italy will find that it
is simply ‘in the way’ and will be eliminated as a result.
Probably the most dangerous of these alliances, from Italy’s point of view,
is the Juggernaut (Russia & Turkey Alliance). This is because if Russia and
Turkey succeed in capturing all 7 of the Balkan SCs between them they will
have no need to ‘negotiate’ with Italy and will actually be seeking to
capture her SCs to continue their growth.

Italy’s two neighbours are both a blessing and a curse.
To the west, France, can be a very good cover for Italy. France is a very
tough nut to crack from the North and can be an ongoing headache to both
England and Germany if they try. The great thing is that Italy often has to
contribute nothing to this ‘alliance’ and agreeing to keep Piedmont neutral
is usually enough. The curse here is that to do this France will usually
ask Italy to forgo any claim to the supply centres of Portugal and Spain.
To the East, Austria-Hungry, is a country with too many borders and too many enemies.

This can make it an easy target as a determined assault from all sides
cannot be withstood, but, should this happen Italy is still likely to be the
long term loser as any centres gained can prove difficult to hold.
Austria-Hungary, Russia and Turkey will often also divide up the Balkans
between themselves early in the game with no thought to Italy. On the
positive side, Austria can often help to keep Russia and Turkey at bay and
the unspoken alliance that tends to exist between Germany and
Austria-Hungary in many games will often prevent German forces looking south in Italy’s direction.

Italy’s opening moves.
I came to this game as a replacement player after the Autumn 01 move.
Many players are reluctant to join a game that has already started, as a
replacement, because feel that they have lost the advantage of being able to choose their position and opening. I disagree. The name of the game is
Diplomacy and like it or not, personality can and does play a part. A
player might be in a losing position because of bad Diplomacy, not bad
Tactics or Strategy, and a new player could often be all that is required to
turn a game around.An excellent example of this was: Lee Simpson in the 1999 World Masters who came to the finals in a losing position as England in the Spring 02 season and ended up winning the game!

Because I do not know why the player I replaced made his moves as he did, I
will attempt to guess at his motives and give a brief analysis.

The player who opened as Italy in this case began by attacking Austria. To
me this suggests some sort of agreement with Russia and Turkey. It would
not surprise me if promises were made concerning the Italian ownership of
Trieste and possibly Vienna.

By attacking Austria from all sides someone is going to get a
capture, although in this case the Austrian chose to defend Trieste denying
Italy any gain and allowing Russia to grow. If anything, this should worry
any Italian player, with Russia and Turkey working together to destroy
Austria who is likely to be next?

Italy also moved to capture Tunis as is normal but did so with an Army.
That is slightly unusual. Perhaps the reason for this was to maintain
control of the Ionian Sea by retaining a fleet there? It is hard to tell.
The move was certainly not a disaster – but the convoy ties up two units and it is now necessary to retrieve that army with yet another convoy. It seems slightly odd to move an army away from the action when you are already in a shooting war? I could understand if there had been an uneasy peace between Italy and Austria and the Italian had moved the army away as a show of good faith – but what was the long term plan here? It is hard to tell, but I certainly hope there was one as you cannot afford to waste moves in Diplomacy.

Build 01 and Spring 02.
I was called in during the build phase. The Army in Tunis and the stalemate
with Austria both influenced my decision. I decided to build a Fleet in
Naples to give me maximum mobility in the Mediterranean and hence the most
possible choices.

Then the Diplomacy began.
Firstly, I made it very clear to all players that any previous agreements or
disputes they had with Italy were no longer valid.
Almost immediately I got a very detailed assessment from Austria of his
current plans for the Balkans (and laying down exactly what he
thought I should do). Some players might have considered some of what he
said threatening, but looking at things from his point of view I could
understand his tone. If he did not find an ally he was in serious trouble.
France seemed happy for us to stay away from each other and England and
Germany seemed to have made an arrangement to ally against France.
Austria had suggested I attack France. No. Not with England and Germany
Allied. In the short term I would gain Marseille and possibly Spain and
Portugal. In the long term they would finish France and then start on me.
Besides, I could not afford a two front war.
Well, France seemed like a competent player and I was reasonably confident
that he could hold for long enough for me to gain enough strength to feed
off his bones when (if?) the time came.
Russia also seemed to be a very competent player, and if anything this was a
big concern to me. He had gained three builds in the first year and seemed
to be heading south. He also hinted at cooperation with Turkey. Turkey
seemed to be the least experienced player. This worried me because I
suspected he would be easily led by Russia. Turkey confirmed this and my
biggest fear was realized – The Juggernaut.
My best hope for long term survival would be to trust Austria and move on
Turkey.
The move was made.

Links on the Juggernaut:
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/juggernaut.htm
http://www.diplom.org/DipPouch/Zine/S2002R/Hawthorne/Deposits.html

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

I have built my three armies in my three open centers. I succeeded in taking Budapest, though I will lose it this season. Austria has written to gloat over this, but I expected this turn of events.

What I did not expect was Turkey to botch his builds. This not only slows our anti-Austrian campaign but also opens him up to Italy. An Italian fleet in the Eastern Med (and Nap-Ion) and we’ve got trouble.

I have tried to encourage Italy to go north against Trieste, but he is noncommittal. I have even asked France to intercede in driving Italy against Austria (rather than, say, Turkey).

My plan is to move my new troops westward, while moving the RUM fleet to BLA. This is not a stab, I will either disband it, or move to SEV, so I can support RUM defensively.
BUD will go to SERBIA. If Turkey is with me, I can take this, and then perhaps retake Budapest as well. I have told Turkey I will surrender Serbia to him, and I intend to honor that, if he is in position to take it the following year. I think I am still in good position.

I also want to see if people see the move to the BLA as a stab, and then change their tune.

So an Italian move against Turkey is one question.

Question 2 is what will Germany do? So long as they do not move eastward, things are fine. I am hopeful that we’ve reached detente in Scandanavia. Together England and Germany could drive me from Sweden. I could take Norway this turn, but I’d like to put off war with Germany even longer if possible. An attack by them this turn could really hurt. But I think I have to chance it.

This makes things rough for poor France, but we will see what things look like in the Fall. Perhaps I can take Norway then, without risk of German reprisal? That will be the plan.

So long as the North is free, this turn should be a turn of repositioning for a lucrative Fall. Some losses are acceptable, in exchange for a gain later.

IF I have gambled correctly.... :)

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Stupid me. I submitted a wrong order. Stupid. Mea Culpa.
Well, I’ll have to make the best of it. The "new" Italy seems to be a lot more open to suggestion than the old one. I told him to strike up Austria’s back end into Trieste. We’ll see how it goes.
Russia’s build in Sev. Is a worry. Right now I trust him, but if he doesn’t move out of Sevastapol, I may consider striking against him. Austria did offer me a reasonable treaty and division of Russia/Balkans. A wise player would consider his offer, but right now I’m sticking with Russia. I may regret it.
Just heard from Russia. He asked me if its’ OK if he moves his fleet to the Black Sea so he can move Sevastapol to Romania. Technically this is a strategic move, as his fleet in Rumania is useless. However it can also be a super threatening move as next turn he can convoy Sev – Ank. Even if he does move Sev-Rum this turn, he can still convoy in the Fall.
I really feel as vulnerable as a whore with her legs spread open in a sailors’ dorm. I told him as much. He assures me he’s not going to stab me. Well, I’m gonna trust him. I am 50-50 on this……

RESULTS - SPRING 1902

Movement results for Spring 1902

spring02.txt

F Greece - Bulgaria(sc) (*Fails*).
A Serbia Supports F Greece - Bulgaria(sc) (*Cut*).
A Trieste - Budapest.
A Vienna Supports A Trieste - Budapest.

F English Channel - Irish Sea (*Bounce*).
F London - English Channel (*Bounce*).
F Norway - North Sea.
A Wales Hold.

F Brest - English Channel (*Bounce*).
F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Irish Sea (*Bounce*).
A Burgundy - Paris.
A Spain Hold.

A Belgium Supports A Munich - Burgundy.
A Berlin - Kiel.
A Denmark Hold.
F Holland Hold.
A Kiel - Ruhr.
A Munich - Burgundy.

F Ionian Sea - Eastern Mediterranean.
F Naples - Ionian Sea.
A Tunis Hold.
A Venice - Apulia.

A Budapest - Serbia (*Dislodged. No retreat possible, Disbanded*).
A Moscow - Ukraine.
F Rumania - Black Sea.
A Sevastopol - Rumania.
A St Petersburg Hold.
F Sweden Hold.
A Warsaw - Galicia.

A Bulgaria Supports A Budapest - Serbia (*Cut*).
A Ankara - Constantinople.
F Constantinople - Aegean Sea.

Unit locations:
04 Austria: A Budapest, F Greece, A Serbia, A Vienna.
04 England: F English Channel, F London, F North Sea, A Wales.
04 France: F Brest, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, A Paris, A Spain.
06 Germany: A Belgium, A Burgundy, A Denmark, F Holland, A Kiel, A Ruhr.
04 Italy: A Apulia, F Eastern Mediterranean, F Ionian Sea, A Tunis.
06 Russia: F Black Sea, A Galicia, A Rumania, A St Petersburg, F Sweden,
A Ukraine.
03 Turkey: F Aegean Sea, A Bulgaria, A Constantinople.

Comments: Fall 1902

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

Well, this turn is one of continued feinting and attempting to break through France. Germany is advancing towards the French heartland and I hope the Kaiser will be able to celebrate some sort of victory. Unfortunately, that would leave him with 7 units compared to my four. Although that can be changed...

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE
Well...I'm in a pretty bad position, but both Germany and England seem to know very little about manuver in Diplomacy which means I can hold them both off for a while.

However, they're determined not to listen to me and consider alternatives to a long war that'll ultimately see them both lose the game.

So, I'm stuck. Kind of a pain in the ass when the outcome of your game is already decided for you, but neither player will talk and the rest of the board's too concerned with the Balkans to help me.

England, as he's been doing every round, will probably gloat once I've been defeated. Remind me to never player another Dip game with him.

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

an eery silence... I don't like it.. nothing from Russia, some protesting from France (obviously) ... and very little response from England except for an early contact.
Disaster, or just miscomunication. I guess time will tell.
Somewhat worried that France might try to block my operations, but there's hope. If I can take what I hope to take, an excellent position develops.. if I don't, my position is still fairly good.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Czar1111
The Diplomacy.
I sent regards to Austria and suggested that we had a working relationship
forming. We were allies in all but name but had no actual agreement as yet.
That is not a bad thing – making early and binding promises can be a
handicap later in the game.

The Juggernaut still concerned me and Russia seemed poised to capture Norway – still there was nothing I could do about that… or was there?
I sent a message to England and Germany and pointed out the treat while also mentioning the word “Juggernaut”. If they were experienced players, they would be forced to reconsider their priorities based on this. And, it would also help give France (the guard to my rear) some breathing room.

The response was interesting - the German player asked me to be more specific about which alliance was forming. Not an experienced Diplomacy player? Be careful what you say in this game – you can give away a lot about yourself without meaning to.

Turkey was the target of a little bit of psychological pressure. I actually
suggested that he withdraw from the Aegean! I did not think this would work
– but the aim was to rattle him. If I could break up his alliance with
Russia now I would have a lot less work to do in the future. He played
right into my hands and responded with threats – I suggested that Russia
might be about to attack him. Nothing like planting the seed of doubt.;)
To my surprise he then agreed to withdraw! Too bad I had already decided on him as my next target. I then withdrew my original demands but gave no clue as to what I would actually do. Turkey got back to me with a very funny email thanking me and asking what I actually wanted? I made it a point not to answer.

Finally, the insurance. As a Diplomat, always have a backup plan. In this
case, I made a clandestine offer – to Russia. “What if WE were allies?” I
suggested. If I could capture Turkey in the short term I would then be in a
better position to capture either Russia OR Austria in the long term. It
really does not hurt to hedge your bets a little early in the game.
Besides, capturing Turkey with Russian AND Austrian assistance would be a
damn sight easier than doing it any other way.

Russia got back to me suggesting that this was an option he would consider.
Marvellous! In the space of one turn I had the entire east doing exactly
what was best for me – or did I?

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

Haven’t heard much from anyone other than Turkey this turn. Well, if memory serves, I may have heard a brief “sorry from Turkey” and a “now you’re mine” from Austria. We’ll see. (I seem to be saying that a lot, but such is the nature of this game) :)

As expected I lost Budapest, but my grab from Serbia failed. And my attacking unit was forced to disband.

England has moved out of Norway. I left him alone in the Spring, but, losing Budapest, I really need a new army, so I will risk taking Norway. I know this will upset England, but England is weak and none too happy with me anyway. Germany, on the other hand, I still want to retain as a neutral party, if not a friend. Germany may be upset by this, but is playing it cool, so we will....um...we will find out later. (better than another “we will see”)

France has appealed for aid and I have assured him that I will, in fact, take Norway. He wants more than that, but I am a bit occupied, perhaps next turn I can add a Northern navy and go after England? Again, I do not want to antagonize Germany.

But Italy has set himself up well. I am very sure he will convoy an army, Tunis or Apulia to Syria. It only makes sense. Turkey is worried about an attack on Greece or the AEG, but the move to SYR makes the most sense. What will Austria do? Be aggressive? Be defensive?

I am urging Turkey to be aggressive, joining me on the attack. I am convinced we can win Greece for him. That’s another build (plus the one he lost last time for the bad orders) and one less for Austria. Or at least, it means no new builds after he retook Budapest. I am pretty sure we can take Greece. But Italy’s back door into Turkey is a real problem.

I am sticking with Turkey as an ally. You can never count on anyone 100% in the game, but I think we both see the mutual benefit of continued cooperation. And it’s worked well so far.

This turn we will push forward. I don’t think Turkey will dare move SMY to SYR to block the Italians, though I wish he would. But I think I can get him Greece, denying Austria. I will face consequences for taking Norway, I’m sure, but the timid achieve little in this game.

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Well that turn blew. The Italian fleet into the East Med was wholly unexpected. Our Great Sultan has had diarrhea for days. To top it off, the Italians claim that their fleet into the East Med was a, get this, a "defensive" posture. They had the gall to claim that my fleet in the Aegean was a threat to their interests.

Nasty telegrams flew between Rome and Ankara. I told him to leave the East Med "or else". He retorts that…how dare I be so hostile to him? I agreed in the end that I’ll leave the Aegean, if he leaves the East Med. What he doesn’t know, or might suspect, is that by leave the Aegean I mean "take Greece."

Now, his latest telegram, is all apologetic. Saying I can keep the Aegean Sea. I don’t trust the swarthy fool for a second.
Trouble is Russia and I are in deep trouble. And I still can’t trust the Russians. He’s positioning his units to be in a strong, strategic situation to kill me. I wouldn’t put it past the fact that the Italians and the Russians are planning my exit. Especially when today the Russians tell me that it might be in my advantage to allow Italian access to Greece to "appease" him….WTF.
Anyways, if Russia is going to stab me, now’s his chance. I have no choice but to move Constantinple to Smynra so both Cons and Ankara will be unguarded. I’m going to try taking another stab at Greece. We’ll see how that works out.

Wow….some late flurry of diplomacy over the last 24 hours. As deadline approaches, I have the Austrians claiming to have an offer for me…although they haven’t responded to my interest yet. Meanwhile, Russia and I have put together three intersting proposals. I’m hoping Russia responds in time. My latest scenario is rather bold and can give Russia Serbia, while I take Rumania from Russia. No net gain for Russia, but a gain for me PLUS it puts us in a better spot.

Ok Russia wasn’t convinced about my Serbian Gambit. My suggestion would have seen him lunging for Serbia with my support, while I convoy Constantinople to Romania in exchange. He believes it would all bounce. He thinks Austria will go Greece-Bul and ruin it. I don’t think he will.
But, as deadline approaches, we made a compromise a safe move.

RESULTS - FALL 1902

Movement results for Fall 1902

fall02.txt

Player List:
Austria: Anzu
England: Leglaen
France: Lazboy General
Germany: Forzaa
Italy: Czar1811
Russia: Heagarty
Turkey: Josephus I

Movement results
Austria:
A Budapest Supports A Serbia (*Cut*).
F Greece Hold (*Dislodged*).
A Serbia Supports F Greece (*Cut*).
A Vienna Supports A Budapest.

England:
F North Sea - Norway (*Fails*).
F English Channel - Mid-Atlantic Ocean.
A Wales Hold.

France:
A Paris - Burgundy (*Fails*).
F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Portugal.
A Spain - Marseilles.

Germany:
A Belgium - Picardy.
A Burgundy - Gascony.
A Denmark Hold.
F Holland - Belgium.
A Munich Supports A Ruhr - Burgundy.
A Ruhr - Burgundy.

Italy
A Apulia Hold.
F Eastern Mediterranean Convoys A Tunis - Syria.
F Ionian Sea Convoys A Tunis - Syria.
A Tunis - Syria.

Russia:
F Black Sea Supports A Ukraine - Rumania (*Fails*).
A Galicia - Budapest (*Fails*).
A Rumania - Serbia (*Fails*).
A Ukraine - Rumania (*Fails*).
A St Petersburg - Norway.
F Sweden Supports A St Petersburg - Norway.

Turkey:
F Aegean Sea Supports A Bulgaria - Greece.
A Bulgaria - Greece.
A Constantinople - Smyrna.

Retreats:
Austrian F Greece can retreat to Albania or disband.

Builds/Disbands:
Since builds and disbands technically happen after retreats, you can make them contingent on Austria's retreat, but not each other.

Austria: None, or Build one if F Gre disbands.
England: Disband one unit
Russia: Build one
Turkey: Build two

(France would normally get one build, but have no open home SCs)

Unit locations:
04 Austria: A Budapest, ?F Greece?, A Serbia, A Vienna.
04 England: F London, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, F North Sea, A Wales.
04 France: F Brest, A Marseilles, A Paris, F Portugal.
06 Germany: F Belgium, A Burgundy, A Denmark, A Gascony, A Munich, A Picardy.
04 Italy: A Apulia, F Eastern Mediterranean, F Ionian Sea, A Syria.
06 Russia: F Black Sea, A Galicia, A Norway, A Rumania, F Sweden, A Ukraine.
03 Turkey: F Aegean Sea, A Greece, A Smyrna.

04 Austria: Budapest, Serbia, Trieste, Vienna.
05 France: Brest, Marseilles, Paris, Portugal, Spain.
07 Russia: Moscow, Norway, Rumania, Sevastopol, St Petersburg, Sweden, Warsaw.
05 Turkey: Ankara, Bulgaria, Constantinople, Greece, Smyrna.

Comments: WINTER 1902

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE

There's not a hell of a lot I can do at this point. No allies. No support in stopping Germany.

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Czar1111

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Well after all that, Austria played it rather safe and I was able to take Greece.

On the plus side: I am now convinced, finally, that Russia will not stab me. Not now. Also, between us we have gained 3 SCs net to Italy/Austria. So we’re obviously stronger.

On the minus side: We are stretched out and the Italians are in an irritating position vis-à-vis my own. It will take us 3 units to deal with his threat in Asia Minor. Italy is not strong, but he’s in a good position. Unthreatened by anybody and in a very threatening position. He can make a strong grab for Smyrna, the Aegean Sea, Greece and even, indirectly, Ankara. I’m gonna have to defend against all that…and Bulgaria.

France emailed me for the first time. Obviously an act of desperation with Germany and England breathing down his neck. I feel for him, honestly, all alone with no hope of support. For Russia to open a second front with Germany would be detrimental to our cause right now.

In fact, I encourage Russia to bring Germany onside against Austria. We need a new threat against Austria/Italy or we’re gonna sit in a defensive position for the rest of the game. I've emailed Germany asking him to consider our cause, but haven't heard back.

RESULTS - WINTER 1902

Movement results for WINTER 1902

winter02.txt

Player List:
Austria: Anzu
England: Leglaen
France: Lazboy General
Germany: Forzaa
Italy: Czar1811
Russia: Heagarty
Turkey: Josephus I

Movement results
Austria:
A Budapest Supports A Serbia (*Cut*).
F Greece Hold (*Dislodged*).
A Serbia Supports F Greece (*Cut*).

England:
F North Sea - Norway (*Fails*).
F English Channel - Mid-Atlantic Ocean.
A Wales Hold.

France:
A Paris - Burgundy (*Fails*).
F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Portugal.
A Spain - Marseilles.

Germany:
A Belgium - Picardy.
A Burgundy - Gascony.
A Denmark Hold.
F Holland - Belgium.
A Munich Supports A Ruhr - Burgundy.
A Ruhr - Burgundy.

Italy
A Apulia Hold.
F Eastern Mediterranean Convoys A Tunis - Syria.
F Ionian Sea Convoys A Tunis - Syria.
A Tunis - Syria.

Russia:
F Black Sea Supports A Ukraine - Rumania (*Fails*).
A Galicia - Budapest (*Fails*).
A Rumania - Serbia (*Fails*).
A Ukraine - Rumania (*Fails*).
A St Petersburg - Norway.
F Sweden Supports A St Petersburg - Norway.

Turkey:
F Aegean Sea Supports A Bulgaria - Greece.
A Bulgaria - Greece.
A Constantinople - Smyrna.

Retreats:
Austrian F Greece can retreat to Albania or disband.

Builds/Disbands:
Since builds and disbands technically happen after retreats, you can make them contingent on Austria's retreat, but not each other.

Austria: None, or Build one if F Gre disbands.
England: Disband one unit
Russia: Build one
Turkey: Build two

(France would normally get one build, but have no open home SCs)

Unit locations:
04 Austria: A Budapest, ?F Greece?, A Serbia, A Vienna.
04 England: F London, F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, F North Sea, A Wales.
04 France: F Brest, A Marseilles, A Paris, F Portugal.
06 Germany: F Belgium, A Burgundy, A Denmark, A Gascony, A Munich, A Picardy.
04 Italy: A Apulia, F Eastern Mediterranean, F Ionian Sea, A Syria.
06 Russia: F Black Sea, A Galicia, A Norway, A Rumania, F Sweden, A Ukraine.
03 Turkey: F Aegean Sea, A Greece, A Smyrna.

Comments: SPRING 1903

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

I see that I have made a couple of mistakes, mainly letting Russia take Norway. However, I hope to rectify that by moving fleets to attack the Juggernaut(Russian/Turkish alliance) that I see forming. Of course, I am not going to let 2 years of positioning and attacking against France come to naught.

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE

I have to admit, it is amusing to play the wounded one. I rarely find myself this helpless in a Dip game, and it's a bit humbling to have a pair of new players do this.

It's a little liberating. I've got nothing to lose. So I get to rant and rail at my neighbors. Sell them down the river with their neighbors, and laugh up my sleeve at the whole mess.

The numbers are the deciding factor. I may be able to move better than England or Germany, but my armies can't be everywhere at once...which leads to the situation we have.

The nastiest part about this is that both Germany and England know enough about the game to understand that collecting SCs is the goal and your neighbors are a threat, but they're new enough that they don't seem to be looking at the long term. They're too focused on their immediate goal of France's destruction...so much so that they haven't really even been working together to accomplish this.

There in lies the problem. A more experienced player would consider all the options he has available to him. Neither England nor Germany has done that -- England especially. As a result, only half of the board is being played. It creates a tremendous power vacuum since many of the easter powers are not counterbalanced by those of us here in the west.
Germany simply could not have claimed a better deal than this. Unfortunately he's wasting it by send all his forces west against me just as Russia is freeing up enough power to push west himself.

England expected a quick and easy war, it seems. When I showed him it would be a long one, well. I think he simply gave up. He knew he couldn't win. He continued the campaign simply because he saw no other way. I gave him the option of pulling back, but as you can see, he did not take it.

Neither player seems to have quite reached the stage where one can forgive but not forget. Instead, they feel they must accomplish this now and leave nothing behind. It might make them feel safe in the short run, but it's finished their games.

In retrospect I should've realized Germany's moves for last turn. Afterall he did witness a similar assault on the France in the game I'm GM'ing, and I should've known he'd continue his assault and planned for the worst. I would've been much better off.

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

chaos, mayhem, and more of that.

On the one hand, there's this "rome conference" wanting me to abandon the French plans to take down Russia.. I believe I have a good chance to get them down.

On the other hand, there's the possibility that the Russians aren't to be trusted, and the French offensive not going according to plan *shivers*.. the situation looked good, but is getting pretty grim pretty fast.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Czar1111

My move to Syria proved to be correct, I had succeeded with the Lepanto!
Other than that, things were very bad indeed.
Despite my warning Germany had failed to act against Russia and England had lost Norway as a result. Turkey had gained Greece due to Russian assaults against the Austrian front. I had no doubts that Turkey would not make any further mistakes with his builds.

(“Nothing teaches like Siberia.” As I was told by a far more experienced
Diplomacy Player.)

The Juggernaut was now very much a reality and unfortunately was being
strengthened by success. It would be hard to break it up now - we would
probably have to destroy it.

Meanwhile, in the west, Germany and England had made large inroads into
France. Now, normally I would not have minded so much, but in this case all
it meant was that German forces were moving further and further west when
they were needed in the east.

I sent a ‘global’ (Term for an email to a number of players at once) to
Austria, France, Germany and England giving my assessment. I reserve
‘globals’ for very serious situations – in my view this was. Austria and France both agreed with me. The concern was France’s assessment
of the English and German players. It seemed that they were both
inexperienced and pretty single minded. They wanted France dead and were
short sighted in their views. You can not afford to ignore half the board
in Diplomacy.

Sure, they would probably capture France, in exchange handing the Juggernaut an easy win. Could we make them see sense?

Russia and Turkey both emailed me and more or less declared war. Russia
basically confirmed what I already knew, that he was controlling the game.
He was the most experienced player and had taken advantage of his two less
experienced neighbours (Turkey and Germany). Turkey was more or less acting under orders and Germany had been convinced to look the other way. It did not look good at all.

Russia was not happy that I had decided to attack Turkey and also told me
that he had an ‘arrangement’ with Germany. I confronted Germany with this
(and published to all) in the hope that it might break up the English /
German Alliance against France.

The Diplomacy continued and I felt some headway was made with both England and Germany – but you can never really be sure until you see the moves.

In particular I was concerned that Germany clearly did not appreciate how
quickly Russia would be able to move on him.

In my own part of the world I was concerned about how and where the
Juggernaut would attack next. After much searching of the map I spotted a
couple of ‘holes’ in the Austrian line. The one that really concerned me
was a possible Turkish attack on Serbia from Greece supported by the Russian from Rumania. It would leave us unable to regain Serbia.

After much analysis I decided that the only way to effectively defend
against this possibility would be for me to land an army in Greece. I would
need Austrian support.

Which leads me on to an aside – the stress of ‘last minute diplomacy’.

The Move
It was possible that Turkey and Russia would work together to take Serbia.
By convoying an Army to Greece we would be able to regain Serbia if the
worst happened or push ahead if the opportunity arose.

In Syria a move to Armenia would by me some breathing room and stop me being surrounded.

Last Minute Diplomacy.
PBEM should be easy, right?

You have DAYS to consider your moves and talk with allies and enemies to
decide on the best course of action?

Well, it doesn’t always work that way. It is amazing how that last minute
message warning you of the enemies planned move, or of an allies change of
plan can lead to a mad scramble to rewrite your orders. Sometimes this can
take you right up to the deadline and you can quite literally miss out by
minutes (I have seen this happen).

It can be very stressful spotting a move that you must make that requires
the support of an ally – but not being able to contact that ally.
It can be a powerful weapon too. In those last hours or minutes before the
Adjudication Deadline players may not have time to check their facts with
other players and properly consider the implications of the moves. This is
particularly true when you are playing with players from around the world in
different time zones. A well timed email may lead a player to change his
moves, perhaps leaving an ally out in the cold, or countering an attack that
never comes, or failing to counter an attack that does. It’s enough to
break up alliances.

>“We AGREED to do this! Why did you change your orders?”

>>“I got a last minute email from France saying that Russia was going to…”

>“I think you betrayed me…”

>>“No. Honestly…”

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

Our plan for the Spring ? This year we launch the big one. Turkey and I are going to fake the stab and see if we can’t knock Austria and Italy out. Mostly Austria. May not work, but we’ll try. :)

Or at least, that was the plan before the builds. I get to build one, but where? France, still in dire straights but hanging on, continues to push me toward Germany.

Let me say for the record - I have IMMENSE respect for the player of France, and in his situation I would no doubt attempt the same diplomacy with Russia which he is trying to negotiate with me....but. He warns me that I am in PRIME position to knock out Germany, that it is a pearl waiting to be helplessly plucked from the oyster....but in the same e-mail warns that if I do nothing, that Germany will be in Poland by the end of the year (or something close to that effect, anyway). Ideally a stronger France and a weaker Germany would work in my best interests, but I have succeeded so far with a good relationship with Germany, and am wary of challenging that. Why do I want one more enemy? That makes no sense in terms of my survival and chances of winning the game.

France has suggested some moves that are strongly anti-German. However the same moves leave me very vulnerable. Some good ideas can be gleaned, but there’s no way I can take that kind of risk.

I do not know how the actual diplomacy is being conducted, but it is circulating that there is a four or five way alliance being proposed, with Italy/Austria and Germany/England against me, trying to engage France in their efforts. I have serious doubts that this is the case.

Austria is a given. Italy has cast her lot with Austria, to my regret. England is deservedly hostile, since I stole a supply center this past year. I am reaping what I have sown. But why would France be aware of all the inner strategies of two nations doing their best to eradicate her?

After a lot of consideration, I chose to build my unit in Warsaw. I could have put it in Sev, to aggressively fight the Italians and try to get into Austria from the south. Or, I considered a fleet in St. Pete. Instead, I chose to build in Warsaw, with this thought: I can perhaps serve two purposes.

1) To slow Germany by suggesting they move some units back toward me, but by being open with Germany and encouraging a bounce. This helps France while hopefully not antagonizing Germany too greatly.

2) To use the army, ultimately, in the south. I can not afford continued stalemate with Austria. When Germany DOES move east, I will need as much strength as I can muster.

So, what to do this turn? I will take some limited risks, SWE to BAL, in case I need some leverage. I am not moving NWY-SWE, as France wants, because I don’t think Germany will move DEN-SWE to bounce me, and I think England might well move NSE-NWY.

I will reposition within Austria to set up for a stronger move in the fall.

With Turkey we face some tough decisions. Simply stay put and stagnate, while risking the loss of territory or a supply center, or go aggressive. Turkey sent me some well thought out ideas. However, I am encouraging him to be a little more aggressive. We may lose Greece, but we can take Serbia. I do not know how closely Italy and Austria are coordinating their moves.

It will be an interesting turn, with big risks and the potential for big rewards.

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

Well the builds were as expected.
Pretty quiet on the diplomatic front…Easter Weekend probably had something to do with it. Germany has not responded to my query for opening a new front against Austria and Russia believes it ain'’t gonna happen. Italy continues to taunt me but at the same time proposed I joined him and Austria vs. Russia.
I didn’t respond.
Russia and myself mulled over a few possible scenarios. I thought I had one good move…convoying Ankara to Bulgaria. But we decided that leaves me too vulnerable in Asia Minor. Those pesky Italians are a pain in the arse in the East Med. I have to use up two of my units and one of Russia’s to keep them at bay.
Still, we’ve decided to make a risky move on Serbia. Depending on what Austria’s moves are this could backfire…ESPECIALLY if he plans some moves with Italy.
Greece to Serbia requires Russian help which he promised. Aegean to Greece will likely fail…at best I can bounce Albania…unless Italy interjects.
We’ll see.

RESULTS - SPRING 1903

Movement results for SPRING 1903

spring03.txt

Spring 1903

Player List:
France: (La-Z-Boy General)
Germany: (Forzaa)

Map

Austria:
A Serbia Supports A Apulia - Greece (*Dislodged*).
F Albania Supports A Apulia - Greece.
A Budapest Supports A Vienna.

England:
F London - North Sea.
F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Brest.
F North Sea - Norwegian Sea.

France:
F Brest Supports A Paris - Gascony (*Dislodged*).
A Marseilles - Spain (*Dislodged*).
F Portugal - Spain(nc) (*Bounce*).
A Paris - Gascony.

Germany:
A Munich - Silesia (*Bounce*).
F Belgium - Holland.
A Burgundy Supports A Gascony - Marseilles.
A Denmark - Kiel.
A Gascony - Marseilles.
A Picardy Supports F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Brest.

Italy:
F Eastern Mediterranean - Aegean Sea (*Fails*).
A Syria - Armenia (*Bounce*).
A Apulia - Greece.
F Ionian Sea Convoys A Apulia - Greece.

Russia:
F Black Sea - Armenia (*Bounce*).
A Warsaw - Silesia (*Bounce*).
A Galicia - Bohemia.
A Norway Hold.
A Rumania Supports A Greece - Serbia.
F Sweden - Baltic Sea.
A Ukraine - Galicia.

Turkey:
F Aegean Sea - Greece (*Fails*).
A Ankara Supports A Smyrna.
F Constantinople - Bulgaria(sc).
A Greece - Serbia.
A Smyrna Hold.

Retreats Necessary:
French F Brest can retreat to English Channel or OTB.
French A Marseilles can retreat to Piedmont or OTB.
Austrian A Serbia can retreat to Trieste or OTB.

Unit locations:
04 Austria: F Albania, A Budapest, A Vienna, (A Serbia)
03 England: F Brest, F North Sea, F Norwegian Sea.
02 France: A Gascony, F Portugal, (A Marseilles, F Brest).
06 Germany: A Burgundy, F Holland, A Kiel, A Marseilles, A Munich, A Picardy.
04 Italy: F Eastern Mediterranean, A Greece, F Ionian Sea, A Syria.
07 Russia: F Baltic Sea, F Black Sea, A Bohemia, A Galicia, A Norway, A Rumania, A Warsaw.
05 Turkey: F Aegean Sea, A Ankara, F Bulgaria(ec), A Serbia, A Smyrna.

Comments: SUMMER 1903

flag_d_aus.jpg
flag_d_hun.jpg

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
Anzu

(No Comments Submitted)

flag_d_eng.jpg

ENGLAND
Leglaen

Last turn was a very good turn, except that the French are poised to strike at London. I am attempting to allow Marseille to stay British. I don't like moving to Gas..but I will. Norway is mine, and the Juggernaut needs to be stopped. I hope it will...but not before France falls.

flag_d_fra.jpg

FRANCE

I am now a government in exile. I am still capable of causing hell for the Englishman and the German for another round. However, thanks to Russia's timidity, he has earned himself an unwilling enemy as I have to live as Italy's puppet until I've reclaimed enough French territory to stand on my own.

I had given Russia a set of orders that would likely have earned him control of both Denmark and Berlin in the Fall, given Germany's moves. However, thanks to Russia's avoidance of risks, he has garnered an enemy in Germany and is likely to lose Norway (which he feared) and nothing to show for it in either Germany or Austria.

I had practically begged for Russian help. He did it half assed, like he has most of the game. Now he's likely to get torn apart, just as I had warned him. Oh well.

If I can continue to survive under Italy's good graces, I hope to retake some French territory in an effort to call myself a survivor at the end of the game.

flag_d_ger.jpg

GERMANY
Forzaa

Things are getting very very quiet- it feels like silence before the storm. The French offensive seems to go very well, and cooperation with the English is excellent. Russia seems cooperative still, although the absence of a few small things urges for caution. This caution means I might not be able to make all my builds, but that seems a better option than losing a homecenter and no be able to do any builds at all.

flag_d_ita.jpg

ITALY
Czar1111

The Diplomacy
The Spring moves in the East had gone much as I had expected, unfortunately. I had gained Greece but Austria had lost Serbia and Russia had strengthened his position and put the squeeze on him. Austria was in danger of being outflanked in the west.

The biggest disappointment to me was that Germany and England had continued their assault on France. With that, I expected any further chance of peace there was probably gone.

Russia was ready to move on Germany and they had bounced in Silesia. Was it a planned bounce? If it was, then Germany might be able to get one more
build in this year. But, I suspected it was the start of the Russian assault. In which case Germany would have to move to cover his Home Supply Centres – he would gain a French Supply Centre but would not get a build.

Germany had allowed Russia to expand to a dangerous position. All Russia
needed was one more build (a Fleet on the North Coast of St Petersburg) and
it would be game over. It was probably over already.There was my insurance of course, the chance of an Alliance with Russia? Well, the problem was that soon Russia wouldn’t need my allegiance – he would be able to go it alone.

I contacted Austria and France for their thoughts – the replies took a while
– they were as despondent as I was. France and I had a discussion about his retreats and even the possibility that he could temporarily take control of Venice to stay alive and that he move from there north to assist Austria from there.

The concern now was that Austria was not responding to emails. I needed his help (and I fully intended to pay him back). I was so concerned about the possibility of an Austrian NMR that I even contacted the GM (CatKnight) about it. My other predictions were that France would take London and that Russia would move to Denmark while advancing along the whole western front.

The Move
I had to capture the Aegean. If I could do that, and we could hold Turkey
without a build then Smy would fall and we would begin to unravel Turkey.

flag_d_rus.jpg

RUSSIA
Heagarty

A few stumbling blocks on the road.

Good news: Germany did not move aggressively toward me, nor did Austria block any of my moves. Turkey took Serbia.

Bad news: England DID move against me and could likely take Norway this turn....unless...(but I’ll get to that later). Italy took Greece, with Austrian help.

So, it appears I will pay for my affront on England (No discussions with him since the early game, when I moves North). However I think I can work with Germany to ensure good relations without escalating a war.

In the South, it is difficult to predict what will happen. Turkey has again noted some difficult circumstances, but there is still hope

Of most interesting note: France has enjoyed some beneficial retreats, if there is such a thing, and now stands to threaten London and Belgium, as well as Venice. He could opt instead to try to retake his home supply centers. However I think he stands a chance of keeping the Germans out of Paris, while earning one build. We will see how it is played.

The threat to London, however, may save Norway. Either England will risk it and take the supply center he knows he can win, and then build back in England, or he will move the N.Sea back to bounce the EC, in which case Norway lives another year. This makes it crucial for me to be build in St.Pete this turn.

What Austria does will determine the results of this turn. Are they so pro-Italy they attempt to block a French move to Ven? Do they play defensively and lose a unit? Do they go on the offensive and try to retake Serbia?

And what do Turkey and I do diplomatically? We have both talked to Italy. Italy seems hardly interested in alliance with Turkey, but continues to try to seduce me away. I put an interesting idea out there: for a Russian, German, Italian alliance. He asks why we need Germany. Because, I explain, I don’t want to fight Germany. :)

I am still sticking with Turkey, but am trying to see if we can’t change the current alignment of most of the board against us.

France, by the way, now says “the leverage is mine!”, in response to what I told him last turn, that I wanted to help and would, but he was in no position to make demands of me. Perhaps I should have responded more nicely, but I am only human, and while I really need the fleet in EC to attempt a move in London (Actually, I don’t, I only need England to move there) I’m not going to be brow-beaten.

This turn, I hope, will mark the reduction of Austria to minor power status.

flag_d_tur.jpg

TURKEY
Josephus I

As we all sit fighting each other in the Balkans the Germans keep getting stronger….one need not be a student of Diplomacy to see where all this is going.

Russia tells me that the Italians are asking him to stab me. Curiously, the Italians tell me to stab the Russkies. Well, not so curious, actually. A war between Russia and Turkey would only benefit the Italians.

I write back to the swarthy Catholic nation and tell them to ally with us, Turkey and Russia vs. Germany England. I have not heard back.

While awaiting a response, I email Russia some order suggestions. I express my worries that the situation looks rather dire for me. The Italians are well poised now to keep Greece and although my home SCs are safe, I need to waste two valuable resources to stop the Italians from launching an unlikely, at this time, move on Smyrna. Unlikely but I still need to defend it.

Meanwhile, the Aegean Sea will likely be the target. It would make sense for the Italians to capture and own the gateway to Asia Minor…plus threaten Ankara from three zones. I intended to play conservatively….but at Russia’s bidding have conceded to give capturing Greece a go.

And just as I sent my orders….I came up with a new plan. Originally I’d planned to move Bul- Gre with Aegean support…but I think it makes more sense to move Aegean to Gre…and Russia agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.