• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan: …For I have an appointment with King Louis.

magnificent finish !

magnificent AAR ! !
:cool:

I can only plead that I have neglected the old EU2 forum these past weeks, and so shamefully missed the finale.

But I will say it is exquisite. Your writing is a fine wine, and re-reading does not diminish the savor.

Thank you.

GhostWriter Thanks my friend for your consistent and dedicated support of this AAR. Even in my long absences. Everyone else should indeed proffer you thanks for it was not for your gentle reminders this one might have fallen by the wayside as so many others. That it hasn't is in great part due to you.

Director Shameful! Glad you caught it in the end though. And thank you for your kind words.

I have marked a few posting milestones in this thread, and so before I let this thread fade entirely I thought I would mark another. This post is my 15000th registered post in these forums. The vast majority of which have been in AARland, in comments.

It's been a good 15,000 posts, a good five plus years. I lookforward to the next.

Indeed, congrats are in order sir! I have been fortunate enough to get a fair share of those 15,000 and hope toget a goodly share of the next 15,000. ;)

KUTGW, as they say. :D We are thankful for your time and efforts, to be sure!

Congratulations, to be sure, my friend!

15,000 posts! Good Heaven!

And, to make the accomplishment even more remarkable, we all know these posts were each valuable, thoughtful, and insightful, as is your trademark!

Good to see you back and active again, Sir! Looking forward to what your next project might be, as we discussed.

Rensslaer

Lewis,

I believe a brief tribute is in order...

Since I was just going through the Guess the Author entries, meaning to populate my Inkwell page, I came across this little gem -- my review of the then-anonymous scene which started off this whole effort!

Rensslaer said:
I have just re-read #4. This author is very good, and puts elements and threads into even such a small scene that color it very well.

I think the point of view is a bit jarring, because I cannot conceive of how the story is being told. It's not a diary, nor a story to someone else. It's most like he's living the scene out in his own mind, which may be what is intended. In any case, it is well done.

The first time through, I didn't catch the exact phrasing at the end. And in a tale such as this, the exact phrasing is what matters. Is this man, Jean, suggesting that he would betray his king once his final duty is done? And I must further wonder about the friendship Carlos and Jean have -- it seems quite strong, and as a reader I am intrigued as to how it developed!

Another critiquer said he would like to know what the disaster was, of which they speak. Naturally, I would too. But for a scene of this nature, within these limits, I believe it actually adds to the story, and the mystery, to leave it to our imagination.

Very well done!

Indeed! Very well done!

Thank you, for all the entertainment and thought this AAR has brought to me, and all of us!

Rensslaer

Like D I to missed the Finale of this awesome work and for that I am truly sorry Lewis. But, with that said, damn that was a great ending even if I read it a lot later than most everybody else.

You sir, did not only craft a fine tale, you were able to use it to better your own already outstanding skills as a writer. As usual, I doff my hat to you and can't wait to catch up with your next work!

Hello there. This is my first post in the forum even though I've lurked around for some time. But even though my opinion might not matter much to you, I have a suggestion. What about organising the posts? Either making a separate thread with no comments, or a simple webpage which could work as a "book". It would be easier to follow from where we stop.

I've only read a bit, but it has captivated me already. I must congratulate you on this wonderful AAR :)

Rensslaer I know - looking back at the old thread it was interesting to reread people's reactions to my entry.

J. Passepartout / coz1 Thanks guys :)

Draco Rexus I've noticed in the last few days you seem to have found some time to catch-up on other AARs, so I was hoping you would read the finish of this. Thank you for your praise.

Iberian Wolf Hi, and welcome to the forums and most particularly to this AAR. I hope you enjoy it.

As for the presentation - as a matter of forum policy it is almost always not allowed for their to be separate 'comment' and 'story' threads of an AAR - this is because it simply congests the AAR page un-necessarily. As for writing a separate webpage - that would require me to have the know-how which I don't, and to be honest I don't see the need as it is here.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of it.

I, too, am ashamed to realize that I missed the finale of this excellent story. Jean's last thoughts and his conversation with the two men seemed very.....apropos. Overall I think Jean/Giovanni did what he felt he had to do not truly out of hatred but out of love. Love for his country. A nation that had gone from mighty to puny and nearly nonexistant. Now knowing that Bavaria had not only beaten France, but humiliated her....well now I understand more. I had some wonderings about certain things, but your wrap up made it clear WHY certain events were going on and WHY a german would be featured as prominently as he was.

Well done, Stnylan. You've crafted an amazing tale here and one that will stand the test of AAR time.

Amric said:
Well done, Stnylan. You've crafted an amazing tale here and one that will stand the test of AAR time.
:rofl:

"One of the greatest stories of AAR time!" ;)

Renss