• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Von Hapsburg goes to several tables:

The first is the RF table:

“Hello, I am ENP Chairman von Hapsburg. I know that you supported the ELP last term, but with Gonzov gaining in influence, perhaps it is time to consider a new path. I know you want the Queen to have political power, but we need to look at the political situation. People will see your proposal as dictatorial, and will have nothing to do with you if we do not sugar-coat it. The only monarchy people are willing to support – what the yes voters wanted – was a British style constitutional monarchy. We can negotiate if you can propose a compromise. Perhaps, we could also give you some seats in the GA. Just send your list, and we will think about it.”

Next, the EBA table:

“Good morning, Franz von Hapsburg here, ENP Chairman.”

“I know you supported the MRP last term, but, seeing as they are kaputt, as the Germans say, people are probably vying for your attention. The ENP’s plan is simple: privatize what is not needed for the running of the government. As you know, I am working to end the state monopoly on arms production. Also, we are planning modest tax cuts across the board, and cutting unnecessary services, such as sport subsidies in the MoI.

Questions?”

After that, the AFSF:

“Good morning, my name is Per von Hapsburg of the ENP.

You say you want to improve living conditions? I’m all ears.

On New Bengal. Let’s face it, short of a miracle, our men and women will have to go there. Now the question is, how to minimize the danger, and give the men and women the life they deserve after a war. What I propose: I propose preferential treatment to retired and discharged servicemen. Priority in the employment office, a wage bonus for those who enter the emergency or civil service, discounts in government housing and education. And the big one: special tax breaks. Servicemen will have reduced taxes. Meaning they can start their own businesses, raise a family, rejoin the body politic.

Questions, sir?”

"Very interesting, Per President," murmurs the DEE rep. "Well, you've done a lot for us. CEA may've been Amric Al'Aeshir's baby, but we won't forget who got the bill passed." He scratches his gnarly beard idly. "Still, we're a little worried now that former President Zhokhyen is in your party. How do we know he's not going to stymie further environmental legislation from your party?"

* * *​

"Reducing veteran pensions is a tough sell, sure. Reducing military spending isn't." The AFSF rep pauses to order a fresh Glenlivet. "As I understand it, Per Leary, the balance of the percentage point increase we got in Term XIII's budget wasn't spent. Do we have a commitment from you to keep spending at the level actually spent, or the level budgeted for Term XIII?"

* * *​

The EHA representative looks worried. "Hate crimes are a national issue, Per Leary, implicating the federal constitutional rights against discrimination and for equality. The problem needs a national solution."

* * *​

The EBA representative holds up the evening edition with the ECB budget numbers. "Well, Per Leary, here they are. What sort of cuts are you thinking about now?"

* * *​

The EBA representative chuckles. "Everyone will be all for a simpler tax system, Per O'Sullivan -- except for the accountants and tax attorneys." He waves away O'Sullivan's comments about the CEA. "We're not bothered by the specific impacts on the automotive sector -- one failing company, I'll remind you -- or the fisherpers, who are somebody else's problem." He jerks a thumb over his shoulder at the ECL table. "It's the investment required, and the lack of gradation. A firm believer in environmentalism in the MoI office could kill businesses who aren't up to his standards.

"This Young Enterprise business sounds interesting, though. Tell me more."

* * *​

"Sure, that sounds fine, Mr. O'Sullivan," drawls the AFSF rep. "But I do wonder how you're going to build a fine new hospital and radically restructure our tax system at the same time."

He leans forward. "Let's cut to the chase. Per Zhokhyen gave us a comfy increase in veteran's pensions and a military budget increase we hope to see continued next term. Per Leary's done right by us, too. Now they're both in the same party. So what can PEL offer us that PoL can't?"

He pops a pistachio nut and looks expectant.

* * *​

"My question, Mr. O'Sullivan," starts the EFA representative as he prods his chicken caesar warily with a fork, "is what you plan on doing about the Regulation of Firearms Act. We had assurances from Michael Lundgren that we were going to get strong legislation to replace it under the new constitutional right to bear arms. That didn't play out. So we want action, and we want it yesterday."

* * *​

Miguel Kerava, the ECL representative, glares over his lager. "We think you should consider helping the fishing industry your party just helped destroy, Per Berenguerr. The ELP was happy to abandon the thousands of fisherpers who break their backs in dangerous, sometimes lethal waters every day for the sake of an environmental bill! Where was your love of the common man then?!"

One of his aides puts a hand on Kerava's forearm. Miguel takes a deep breath and starts again. "The Clean Eutopia Act was fine legislation, and we're happy that many of our workers will be protected from pollution. But the fisherpers need your party's aid, señor, from these ridiculous fines. It's Eutopia's oldest profession. What will you do for them?"

* * *​

"Well, you know, there are some theories that suggest a fractious government is better for the people than a united one," opines one SGG rep. His comrades glare at him for a moment until he snaps back to reality. "That bill of yours sounds quite interesting, Per Berenguerr. Tell us more..."

* * *​

The DEE representative looks somewhat surprised at being caught at the bar, but he quickly regains his composure. "You know, Per Berenguerr, we like your platform, but I have to say, it seems like you guys were the only party not involved in legislating for the environment. The Clean Eutopia Act was originally put up by Amric Al'Aeshir of the MRP, and revised by the PoL. President Zhokhyen may not have known where he stood on the CEA, but he proposed his own version. Where were you guys?

"And Park's regulations? He was Minister of Finance, and all he did was hamper a few stretch limo drivers, under constitutionally questionable provisions almost guaranteed to be challenged." He looks over both shoulders quickly, nearly spinning in place, as if looking for an unseen attacker. Conspiratorially, he says, "It's not like we don't have a crackpot reputation to begin with. I've got no beef with Per Park, but he had the opportunity to do a lot for us, and didn't. We expected that from the MoI, with it being in ENP hands, but not from you guys."

* * *​

The EHA representative looks surprised. "A politician, at election time, encouraging voters to follow their conscience? Heaven forfend!" He chuckles. "I don't mind saying that PoL's done a lot for us this term, Per Berenguerr, but I believe the ELP's in the same place. What are your legislative priorities for the next Term?"

"The CEA allows the Ministry of the Interior to make exemptions in cases where the target is essentially unreachable, Per Kerava. On the other hand, we can hardly be certain that the Minister will want to do so, so of course you're right that we will need to act to help the fishing industry. We don't have a definite answer to the question of what to do yet, we're still researching our options, but one of the ideas we're considering is buying the new engines ourselves and letting fisherpers pay for them in installments and we're also considering tax relief packages. However, since we're hoping to reform the mortgage business to make it easier for the working per to get a loan, that's likely to be our answer to the issue. Unless you have any thoughts on the matter?"

- - - - - - - - -

"The bill in question will require all cabinet members and MGAs to declare any gifts they receive over a certain sum and any large investments they have. It will also require them to recuse themselves from decisions where they have a personal interest. Failing to declare an interest will lead to an investigation with the power to recommend impeachment.

I don't foresee if being too onerous. Such legislation is common around the world and it's just simple good practice."

- - - - - - - - -

"Our priorities for next term? We're working largely on economic issues, since that wasn't something we managed to achieve much with this term. Good healthcare and education, affordable housing, workers' rights, that kind of thing. On the social side of the equation, we'll continue to push for an end to the death penalty and we support legislation against hate crimes. Was there any particular issue you'd like to hear more about or did you just want the overview?"

DEE: "I can't give you any guarantees on how Per Zhokhyen is going to vote on any given proposal. I'm sure he'd have no problem with increasing funding for research and development. However, myself, Per Vandelft, and Per Luscuau all remain committed to cleaning up Eutopia, and we form the senior leadership of the party. Our party has a strong enviromental plank, and we'll be emphasizing that to all of our members."

ASFS: "I definately would like to see spending remain at a minimum the current 7.25% of the budget. Personally, I think keeping the budgeted amount of 8% in place would be prudent. We need a few equipment upgrades, and I want to make sure our brave men and woman are recieving a fair salary."

EHA: Leary rubs his chin for a second. "You're quite right, my apologies. Crimes motivated by hate would be a violation of civil rights, and therefore federal jurisdiction."

"As I'm sure you're aware, the ENP has made homosexual rights a big issue this election, and not in a good way. Of course, it only exposes their own narrow minded prejudice and intolerance. The good news is it has raised the profile on the issue. I think it would be safe to say you can expect the PoL to come out strongly on the issue of hate crimes in the next few days."

EBA: Leary chuckles. "It's good to know the evening edition gets the budget forecasts before the President does. Still, we're seeing a forecast of better than 5% growth in the economy, and that's over and above inflation. I'd say the time is ripe for cuts."

"I don't want to promise you big numbers and then be unable to deliver, so I'll err on the side of caution. I'd like to see the total tax burden of corporate Eutopia reduced by 0.5 to 1% (OOC: just to make sure we're clear, reducing coporate tax revenue from 30 to 29.5 or 29). Then I'd also like to see a similar cut in the income tax bracket, freeing up more disposable income for consumerism and investment. It could go higher than that, but like I said I don't want to promise what I can't deliver."

Last edited:
"Our voting, as always, will be influenced by the party we feel best represents our issues," replies Stile van Ewen, slurping demurely at a cosmopolitan. "What is the ELP planning on doing for the cause of civil rights next term, Per Berenguerr?"

* * *​

The old AFSF Brigadier eyes Berenguerr appraisingly. "I have to say, Mr. Berenguerr, we don't usually hear a lot of calm talk coming from your side of the aisle on military issues. That doesn't mean that we agree, though." He slathers butter onto a roll. "Fact is, the Eutopian military needs newer equipment, the Navy in particular. We want improved pay and crosstraining, sure, but they're not worth so much warm spit if the tub you're on starts sinking. Nor do we think a reduced military is a particularly good idea -- we're close to our minimum ideal size now." He bites into his roll. "Uffderstand, fwe're not upposed to uh duffuhnsiff forsth" -- he swallows -- "but a defensive force needs to be able to defend, copy?"

* * *​

The Royal Foundation representative stares at von Hapsburg evenly. "I must say, you've got a lot of nerve, Per von Hapsburg. After we support the ELP last election because you couldn't put your house in order, you try to solicit Queen Francesca to oust her mother?" Half-raised from his seat, the rep is nearly shouting, and heads are starting to turn. "And now you come here to tell us, not that you're interested in helping us, but that our ideas are unworthy and we need to change?" He falls back into his seat, and other patrons turn back to their drinks and start to murmur. "No wonder the ENP has slid so far." He waves a hand dismissively. "When the ENP gets serious about the monarchy, send us an actual monarchist to talk. Until then, sir, I bid you good day."

* * *​

"Privatizing arms production is fine, Per von Hapsburg," opines the EBA rep, "but we have no meaningful native arms industry. Take away the government's monopoly, and the only people making weapons in Eutopia are going to be foreigners. In fact, I doubt they'll be bothering, when they can just sell the government what it wants. What's the ENP planning on doing to protect and encourage Eutopian business?"

* * *​

"We would prefer, sir," says the AFSF rep somewhat stiffly, "that you not be so eager to send our boys to war." He holds up the late edition, with von Hapsburg's comments at Quarters Four. "We'll ignore that you were politicking on a military base. 'Whether it is against the terrorists or the Tilapians is irrelevant. You are going to war,'" he quotes.

"Your ideas are fine, von Hapsburg, but why exactly do you believe war is such an inevitability? Where's this terrorist threat? What interests do we have on New Bengal to start a war over? You've tossed the diplomatic options out the window before you've even gotten into office and are actively saber-rattling. What terrifies me even more is, I'm not even sure what you're saber-rattling against." He takes a worried swig of his scotch. "No, I don't mind talking about your other ideas, but I'm telling you now, the AFSF is not going to support someone who is so eager to create more veterans just for the sake of a bigger constituency."

* * *​

Kerava seems calmed. "I can see you've given this some thought, Per Berenguerr." He nods. "We have trust in the ELP to set things right. I'm not willing to make a firm commitment yet, but I think we can come to some arrangement."

* * *​

The SGG representative nods. "But who will be responsible for monitoring this sort of thing, Per Berenguerr? The benefits to be gained are great, but not if the process can be used as a bludgeon against one's enemies."

* * *​

The EHA representative smiles politely. "Well, sir, I was thinking more along the lines of legislative priorities that would specifically be of interest to the EHA. Hate crimes legislation is a start. What else do you have in mind?"

* * *​

The DEE nods. "Well, I think you've proven your credentials to a lot of environmentalists in Eutopia, Per Leary. So what else do you plan to do for the environment in Term XIV?"

* * *​

The AFSF rep smiles gently. "With all due respect, Per Leary, minimum is right. We need 7.25% just to maintain the progress we made this Term. Frankly, we consider 8% a minimum for any further progress, and we could certainly go higher."

* * *​

"We'll look forward to that announcement, Per Leary," says the EHA rep.

* * *​

The EBA rep grins. "Well, that's just good business sense, Per President. Thanks for stopping by. We'll certainly be talking about the PoL."

"Well, Per van Ewen, we've got several aims on that front. The most important is our opposition to the death penalty. I realise we were split on the moratorium, but in the current GA it's always going to be hard to curtail capital punishment. I'd like to think my bill currently before the Assembly will get through, but I'll be surprised if it does. If it doesn't get through, then it has to be one of our first priorities and without the support of you and your members that fight will be much harder.

Then there's the issue of homosexual rights. We supported the Equal Access to Marriage Amendment and we hope next term to get legislation passed against hate crimes.

We also intend to prevent any attempts to ban abortion. Frankly, I'd rather allow it for more than the first 12 weeks we currently have, but you couldn't get a quorum in the GA for that viewpoint. I think on this front it's not so much what we can do as what we can stop others doing.

I'm sure there's something else on the list, but it's been a long day so I hope you'll excuse me if I haven't got the manifesto word perfect. If there are any other areas you have an interest in, that might spark my memory. But essentially I don't think there is a civil right we would even consider opposing."

- - - - - - - - -

"A good point," says Berenguerr to the SGG rep, "a divided political elite may increase interest in politics, but it also promotes realpolitik over idealism. Declarations of interest would have to be collected and investigated by an impartial and non-political office, probably run by a senior civil servant."

- - - - - - - - -

Berenguerr nods politely to the EHA rep. "I do apologise, I thought you wanted an overview of policies outside the remit of your organisation that might still be of aid to your constituency. If you want something more closely tied to your interests, I may have to disappoint you. I and my party members are utterly committed to equal treatment for people of all sexualities, but it seems to me as if there's only so much more we can do.

I'm fairly sure the Equal Access to Marriage Amendment will just pass, but if it doesn't you'll see it again next term, even if we can only get it through for now as a bill. Your right of freedom from discrimination is constitutionally protected, and hate crimes legislation will build upon that.

Aside from that there is the issue of adoption, which we should be able to act upon if we manage to retain the MoSS. All achievable measures, I think but no giant leap.

And after we get those through, where next? Ideally I'd like to see sex education making it clearer that somebody's sexual behaviour is their own business, not society's, but that comes under education, which is a provincial affair.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we'll do all we can, but problems like the bigotry the ENP exemplify aren't just going to disappear overnight, no matter what we do."

EBA: "Thank you for your time."

EHA: "Keep your eyes on the news, and I'm sure you won't miss it." Leary gives a quick wink and then offers hand before leaving.

AFSF: "Then we agree, 7.25% is the minimum and 8% is a far more desireable figure. Believe me, I know our armed forces could use a few upgrades, especially in the navy. If I am elected to return to the Diamond Office, you can count on me putting a budget forward with 8% military spending."

"If I'm just in the GA, my influence is a little more limited."

DEE: "Well the biggest issue is the clean up in WET, that and finding out who was responsible and then prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law. Beyond that, as I said earlier, auto emissions and furthering research and development are on our agenda."

Having finished his chats with the EBA and EHA, Colin walks over to the SGG and ECLU tables.

ECLU: "Good day, gentlepers. I'm sure you are aware the PoL was at the forefront of every civil rights issue this term, most prominently the issue of same sex marriage, but also the death penalty and abortion. We fully plan to continue the fight, so we'd like to have your support as we do."

SGG: "Hello, gentleper. I just wanted to say that I find your aims very admirable, and the PoL is committed to a more effective, transparent government."

"I'm not sure its possible to legislate or regulate effective government, all you can do is put checks and balances in place and make sure the political leaders are accountable. After that, its really up to the voters. Effective government is made up of effective people. I'd argue that the PoL has easily been the most effective party this term, and we've conducted our business out in the open."

"As President, I've done everything I can to organize the cabinet, on issues like the enviromental mess in WET, and the New Bengal crisis. I've kept the Eutopian people informed of my basic plans and goals. If elected to the Diamond Office next term, I certainly intend to do the same."

"On the legislative front, I do think it's high time Eutopia had a freedom of information act."

Stile van Ewen nods, spying Colin Leary on approach. "Good to see you, Per Berenguerr. Thanks for dropping by."

* * *​

"Interesting thoughts, Per Berenguerr," says the SGG rep, also seeing President Leary apparently trailing Berenguerr around the restaurant. "I can assure you, we'll be talking about the ELP in the days to come."

* * *​

The EHA rep nods, intrigued. "I don't know, Per Berenguerr. The constitution dictates that education is a matter for the states; but then, the MoSS has a budget line for education. It's much the same in the States, where schools are managed on a local or state level, but there's still a federal Department of Education." He sips his drink. "I guess what I'm suggesting is, rather than abandoning the idea of increased sexual orientation privacy education because education is reserved to the states, you could try to find a way to trump the constitutional limitation -- on the grounds of discriminatory enforcement at the provincial level, for example?"

* * *​

The AFSF rep harrumphs. "Well, Per Leary, it's more desirable, but we'd just as soon see it still higher. You had a good start this term, but it was only a start. We hope to see continued progress."

* * *​

The DEE rep nods. "Sounds good, Mr. President. Good talking to you."

* * *​

Stile van Ewen waves Leary over as he approaches. "Per President, so good of you to stop by." She tosses the transcript of President Zhokhyen's most recent speech on the table. "See, this is what I never get about you fiscal conservatives when you talk about the market sorting it all out. You act like, if the economy's growing, everything must be fine; you never seem to remember that even a few percentage points of unemployment is thousands of jobless workers. And some of those folks will never find work -- life's perennial losers. Not everyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps, Per President." She looks over her glasses. "What're you planning on doing for the ones who can't?"

* * *​

"Hmm," says the SGG representative. "I'm not sure I agree that checks and balances alone, along with the will of the electorate is the best way to avoid malfeasance. Still, the idea of a freedom of information act interests me. What did you have in mind?"

AFSF: Like you said, its a start. 8% is a starting point for me, I'm not going to rule out going higher, but at the same time, the military isn't the only area of the budget that could stand to get a boost.

My main two thoughts for the military are creating a new division geared towards peacekeeping missions. Our current force doesn't have the training for it, and to implement it now would compromise us in other areas. The other area is upgrading the navy. This is certainly going to be a process. We don't have the funds to suddenly and dramatically upgrade our entire fleet in one term. But I've been talking with the navy brass and doing some research on my own.

ELCU: I think Per Zhokhyen's main concerns were the erroding of property rights that Per Park's proposals represented. After all, if the poor do manage to lift themselves up, they might one day become property owners themselves.

I don't know if I agree with you that certain people can never get a job. I think certain people never want to get a job, and I'm not ashamed to say that the Eutopian people don't owe them a dime. Now that doesn't mean that I think every person on unemployment or welfare is a shiftless leech on society. No, I recognize that capitalism doesn't ensure that everyone at all times will be employed, especially in times of economic transition.

As to what do I think we can do for them, I've touched on it briefly. Welfare reform, and no that doesn't mean simply gutting the system like some of my opponents might tell you. I mean real reform. We need to transform welfare from a system of long term dependency to a helping hand in a time a need. I'd like to make sure that payments are large enough to get people on their feed, not just tread water. I'd like to see a variety of job training and placement programs that are customized to the individual attached to welfare.

In short, I see the goal of welfare to put a person on their feet financially and to give them the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. What they do with it from there, that's up to them. Welfare should be about creating opportunities and hope, not fostering dependency and desperation.

SGG: You left out accountability, which in turn depends on open government. The electorate needs to know what the government is doing in order to hold the right people responsible for both the good and the bad.

Freedom of information is a big first step in this direction. I don't have a specific bill I can lay out for you at this time, but it would serve to open up our courts and our government. Information is power, and I firmly believe that power belongs in the hands of the people.

Admiral Tulp enters Carthago Nova. He humbly asks to speak with representatives from the AFSF, the EBA and the Royal Foundation.

Tulp approaches the Royal Foundation.

"Good afternoon gentlemen. I would to know what it takes to get your support."

Zhokhyen enters Carthago Nova and, carefully avoiding the RF in rememberence of his encounter three years ago, makes his way to the EFA table.

"Good afternoon gentlemen. I'm sure you all have already given some thought to who you plan to support this election. I already know that you have been disappointed by the lack of action in your sphere of interest this past term. I would like to change that story in Term XIV. I loathe excessive government interference, including the Regulations of Firearms Act. I hope this term I can perhaps repeal some of the more restraining limitations it holds. However, finding the right balance of liberation and moderation to allow the thing to pass will take time, so I can't give you any details now.

"But I can give you details on something else. Property defense. The ELP's recent campaigning on housing 'reform' has pushed my property rights button. While I plan battle them for taking the rights to our property next term, I hope to go on the offensive, with this baby..."

He pulls out a cleanly printed draft of paper.

Property Defense Rights Act

Resolved, that Eutopians deserve the right and capability to defend themselves and their property under the Third Eutopian Constitution,

I. Application of Protective Force

A. Land, owned and leased. Any Eutopian may, if his or her home, business or other property, be it owned by the said Eutopian or rented from a landlord, legally use force to expel the unlawful, threatening entering of other individuals. If said force is fatal, the owning individual is not liable and may not be prosecuted for manslaughter or any degree of murder. This does not apply to individuals legally living or working at the said property.
B. Other property. The theft of vehicles and of items valued at more than $300 may be opposed by the legal owner through the use of force. If said force is fatal, the owning individual is not liable and may not be prosecuted for manslaughter or murder.
C. Any threat on the life on a Eutopian may legally be defended against, by either the individual threatened or by others, with force. If such force is lethal, the defending individual is not liable and may not be prosecuted for manslaughter or any degree of murder.

II. Limitations: Improper Application of Deadly Force

A. Improper Application of Deadly Force. This shall be a felony, punishable by 5-10 years in prison and a waiver of the manslaughter and murder immunity provided in Section I of this bill.
B. Improper Application of Deadly Force shall be defined as any attempt to abuse the provisions of this bill in order to commit murder. Situations shall include but not be limited to: the inviting of individuals into one’s home and sudden revocation of that invitation, the giving of gifts and subsequent accusation of theft, the false alleging of a threat where there was none, and the execution of surrendering individuals.
C. Police may investigate a Property Defense Fatality for 24 hours after first police response to the scene before a warrant is required to continue investigation.

"So. What do you think? I'm sure there are some flaws and kinks that need to be revised, and I doubt it can be considered near completion, but it is certainly a step in the right direction, don't you think?"

Last edited:
The Brigadier smiles toothily. "I'm glad we're on the same page, Per Leary. But... peacekeeping? That's a codeword for bringing home flag-draped coffins for some overseas adventure honest Eutopians couldn't care less about. Militaries are built to fight, not built to keep the peace."

* * *​

Stile Van Ewen sips demurely at her second cosmopolitan of the evening. "Everyone can get a job, hmm, and those that don't are just lazy? So do you want to send the handicapped, disabled, and infirm to work, Per Leary? Or are they just not people?"

She holds up a hand before Leary can respond. "Let's not get into a big thing, Per President. We're concerned, I think justifiably, about the... schizophrenic nature your party composition has gained. You guys are the new ENP. Your platform has a lot of appeal with the people I represent, but most of us voted for the ELP last time, and there's no shortage of loyalty there. I don't think we'll be endorsing any party this time."

* * *​

The SGG rep nods. "Ok, Per Leary. I'll take what you said back to the Society. You've given us a lot to think about."

* * *​

The EHA rep smiles. "Well, Per Berenguerr, maybe we can do something about that for you... assuming our members agree, of course."

* * *​

"Ah, Admiral Tulp," says the Vicomte de St-Emilion. "A pleasure to see you again. One of the few monarchists left in government, it would seem. I must say, Admiral, that if you are willing to publicly back the monarchist cause, our constituents would have no problem supporting the ENP this election. The two biggest blocks to our support -- the mad republican Zhokhyen, and the just plain mad von Hapsburg -- are gone."

* * *​

The EFA rep seems surprised at a politician actually putting something in front of him. "Well, this seems fine, Per President, just fine... though of course it would have to be matched with a repeal of the RoFA to be of any real use. Still, it's good to see someone in politics is still thinking about these issues..."

AFSF: "I think my public comments have made it clear, but let me restate this for you. I will not put our troops in harm's way until all other possible solutions have been exhausted. I also will not commit our armed forces unless there is a clear Eutopian interest at stake."

"That said, modern militaries do have a role in keeping the peace from time to time. I hope and pray that I would never have to employ our armed forces in such a capacity, just as I hope and pray to never have to employ our armed forces for any other potentially dangerous capacity, but I don't think it wise to leave ourselves short in any one area."

"And let's just say the navy is the more pressing concern of the two in my book."

ECLU: "Now, I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't talking about those that physically unable to work." Leary smiles slightly. "And now we are the new ENP? I suggest you stop listening to ELP propoganda and start listening to both the PoL's message and the rhetoric the ENP is spouting. If you can't see a difference ..." Leary spreads his hands and shrugs.

"Still, you've made your stance clear, so I'll thank you for you time and be on my way."

SGG: "Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you."

"Your excellency, I have always been supporting the monarchist cause in public. If you desire it then I can do so once again this afternoon."

Tulp approached the EBA tabel.

"Good Afternoon gentlepers. How are you? I would like to tell you the ENP's plans for the next term concerning the economy. I would like to have your opinion on it and I would also like to know what you think is desirable as well.

We want to lower taxes. I assume you have seen our plans to get the unemployed to work. That should get alot of companies on full production don't you think? Furtheron I want to strengthen the anti-trust laws so that every company get's an even chance, the small ones as well."

Zhokhyen smiles at the EFA Rep. "I promise, my party and I will do what I can to replace the RoFA with a much milder equivilant. It will especially be a personal crusade of mine in this upcoming term. The less seats the ELP wins, the less "compromises" I will be forced to make. You understand that I cannot begin to flesh out the details until I know the makeup of the GA, right? Anyway, I will be making a speech on these issues shortly to prove my seriousness. It was nice meeting with you gentlemen."

"Alright, Per President," says the Brigadier. "It was a pleasure to meet with you. Good luck tonight."

* * *​

"The new ENP in the sense that you've got people who seem to have fundamental differences in how to run the country in your party, Per President," says Van Ewen as Leary walks away. "With Zhokhyen on board, I can't tell people whether the Party of Liberty is pro- or anti-environment, or pro- or anti-death penalty. Voting for you guys is turning into a bit of a craps shoot."

* * *​

The Vicomte nods. "We're always happy to hear public declarations of support for our cause, Per Tulp. Frankly, we feel it hasn't been talked about enough in this campaign."

* * *​

The EBA rep scratches his chin thoughtfully. "Well, cutting taxes seems to be a song we've heard a lot of this campaign. And as for your unemployment plan, I don't know. It's admirable, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the businesses that need people are going to require high-tech skills and job training. We can't make do with a bunch of out-of-work fisherpers who can barely read. Anti-trust laws, though... our big business constituents won't think much of it, but our small business ones might. What did you have in mind?"

* * *​

"Good meeting you too, Per President," says the EFA representative. "Good luck out there."

The_Hawk said:
* * *​

The Vicomte nods. "We're always happy to hear public declarations of support for our cause, Per Tulp. Frankly, we feel it hasn't been talked about enough in this campaign."

"Alright your Excellency. Her Majesty can count on me, I hope that's likewise..."
The_Hawk said:
* * *​

The EBA rep scratches his chin thoughtfully. "Well, cutting taxes seems to be a song we've heard a lot of this campaign. And as for your unemployment plan, I don't know. It's admirable, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the businesses that need people are going to require high-tech skills and job training. We can't make do with a bunch of out-of-work fisherpers who can barely read. Anti-trust laws, though... our big business constituents won't think much of it, but our small business ones might. What did you have in mind?"

* * *​
"Just because it's mentioned in alot of other programs isn't a reason for the ENP to discard it sir. Furthermore, let's not forget that with the collapse of AHH there are alot of high tech employees on the market. However I admit that it will mostly be beneficial for companies that use alot of low-tech labour. What if the Government would offer training for jobless people? Wouldn't that be a good idea? About the anti-trust laws....I must admit that I haven't got much info on how strict our laws are, I assume we have them isn't it? Anyway, I thought about heavier penalties personaly but if you have any suggestion please let me know."

***​

Admiral Henry J. Tulp approached the AFSF representatives. He salutes, before they can say anything he begins.

"Gentlepers, I have asked forgiveness from the people and now I ask you for forgiveness. No I will not bargain with you for any favours you could do for me. I would love it if you would vote for my party sirs but I'm not going to bargain with you. I'm going to propose the Eutopian Bill again. I'm going to try and get the budget up with better accomondations, better protection for our men and women and better pensions. I'm also thinking about something like the GI Bill in the US so that our fighting men and women can go to a university free of charge. I'm also going to try and put some life in the old Watchers program if there is animo for that. Is there anything with which I can of service to you?"

Realizing that it is never too early to begin gaining support for future legislation , Rev. Pollos enters the Carthago Nova. He asks where he might find the SGG representatives , an hostess shows him where they are seated. Rev. Pollos strides over to the table and introduces himself cordially.

" Hello, I am John A. Pollos , a JL for the ENP. I am aware of your efforts to maintain accountability and transparancy in our government , ideas which I both commend and supprt whole heartedly. But I come to you today on an issue of concern I have for our current procedure for Presidential succession."

Rev. Pollos pulls from his pocket a copy of the UPE Constitution and shows the representative the section he is speaking about.

"As you most undoubtedly know , in Article II. , subsection 2. , (c)&(d). The President is to be replaced by the Vice President in the event that he vacates his office for any reason. However , in the current set of circumstances , the Vice President , has also gone missing."

Pollos leaves the paper on the table and leans forward in his chair

"Currently , our General Assembly is working to select a new VP , and thus our new President. However , we must ask ourselves , who is in charge of our armed forces. Not a civilian leader , and most certainly not an elected civilian leader. If you will recall , it was this type of situation which lead to the coup of Gen Levarge. Now , of course you may ask , what solution I would present to you...

Rev. Pollos , sits back and more upright in his chair

"With your support , and of course once Per. Sykes has approved it , I would like to propose a constitutional amendment to Article II , Subsection 2 in regards to Presidential succession. Now I can only tell you that it will allow for only members of the cabinet , who are elected , or the vice president to take over for a president. With added , clear lines of presidential succession , this new amendment should prevent the office from ever being vacant. Hopefully , never allowing a general or other military personnel from being in command of ... , well , themselves."

Rev. Pollos looks the SGG representative right in the eyes

" This would make our people safer from tyranny and stabalize our nation. Once I have given you the detailed copy of the amendment , could I depend on your group to support such a change , at least in theory?"