• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent!

Only, are you sure Germany qualifies as a parliamentary monarchy?

das said:
Excellent!

Only, are you sure Germany qualifies as a parliamentary monarchy?

interesting. it looks like "parliamentary monarchy" is a euphuism for absolute monarchy, yes? :cool:

good pickup, das! (i saw it, but just read on... :rolleyes: )

My, it seems Napoleon (Napoleon IV, maybe?) has found himself in power by quite a narrow margin. With so few close friends, he'll have to build bridges with his old enemies if he intends to remain in power.

Devoy is a good start, but really - a new monarchy on the Continent? Surely that will not march well with his non-Quebecois constituents, who might rightly fear a personal union with France turning them into a colony again!

Napoleon is satisfyingly ambitious... perhaps too much so for his own good? Only time will tell.

who might rightly fear a personal union with France turning them into a colony again!

I don't think they should mind. Napoleon IV DOES have a legitimate dynastic claim on France, but as he is the Emperor of Canada first and foremost, in such a personal union Canada wouldn't exactly be a colony. ;)

ALL HAIL THE DUAL MONARCHY OF CANADA-FRANCE! :rofl:

Fiftypence: Well Devoy had a run of bad luck - first Parnell running at all split the Irish vote, then he had to call of his campaign early to beg Parnell to see reason and swing his support to the Republicans. If he'd said yes Devoy would have done much better, quite probably taking Ontario and Alberta and been back in the running for BC. The gamble didn't pay off due to Parnell's stubborness, but it was sound.

GhostWriter: Oh yes I guess so, just that a Macdonald storyline wouldn't work for me since I'd have to undo all the changes I've made previously.

das: Well the new Canadian Empire (hmm maybe I should change this AAR's title) is a half way house between the Absolute Monarchy of the Tsar and the powerless Victoria. The Emperor is like the modern French President (were that office for life and inherited) : very powerful, but certainly not without limits and democratic checks on his power. Germany struck me as being a good example of a Monarchy with a Parliament, so I guess in game terms it is a Monarchy, just not in the same category as the Russian.

el presidentse: Technically Napoléon I of Canada (no previous Napoleon ruled there). But yes he will have to start making friends soon.

Fortunatly for him (or not) the French question is about to be answered...

Part 8: The Empire of Canada

500px-French-crown-jewels.jpg
Above: The new Canadian Crown Jewels on display, prior to the Coronation, 5th September 1883. The jewels were copied from their French equivalents and made during August 1883.

When news of the shock result fillttered through to the world - it was by far the biggest news story of the year and journalists from across Europe and the America's were covering it - the republican goverment of France wasted no time in stripping Napoléon of his French citizenship (stating it was impossible to hold concurrently with his being a foreign Head of State). They then sent a guarded telegram of contratulations to fit in with the more enthusiastic ones from the Crowned Heads of Europe and the President of the United States.

However hard it was for Napoléon personally, the French 'Judas kiss' probably strengthen him domestically, doing a great deal to relax fears of a French takeover amongst many, especially in the Anglo-Canadian policy.

After he was appointed President on the 3rd August Napoléon publically thanked the voters for their decision and praised his honourable opponents. The next day he presented his revised Constitution to the Senate. After two days of heavy debate Devoy and the Republicans voted with the Imperialists causing the constitution to pass 64-32 (2 abstentions). Concerned at the bitterness of Anglo-Canadians, Napoléon spent the next two days in secret consultation with Anglo-Canadian leaders, soothing their fears and attempting to win their trust. They emerged tired, but happy on the 8th, with what the papers termed the three guarantees:

1. English would continue to be considered an official language of Canada, and no attempt would be made to enforce French in Anglo-Canadian areas.
2. The Catholic Church would not be Established and Protestants would not be required to pay tithes.
3. In recognition of their numbers a quota of at least one third of Cabinet appointments were to come from an Anglo-Canadian background.

beatricebritain1857-2.jpg
Above: Empress Beatrice, (1857-1944), wife of Napoléon I of Canada

Not listed, but certainly mentioned was Napoléon's ace in the hole - he had recently after a long romance married Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter. Beatrice had not been seen much during the campaign, which had been interpretted in some quarters as signs of matrimonal strife. However Napoléon revealed the true reason - she was pregnant. As he reminded the Anglo-Canadians this almost certainly meant that Queen Victoria's grandchild would sit on the Canadian throne.

What greater gurantee was that?

On September 3rd the Senate and Congress of Canada voted to dissolve themselves, per the new Constitution, which called for a new parliamentry system to be elected in the new year. On 5th September Emperor Napoléon I and Empress Beatrice were crowned in the Cathedral of Montreal, at a ceremony attended by amongst others the Prince of Wales and Crown Prince Frederick of Germany. They then appeared in front of the vast crowds on the balcony of the Presidental (now Imperial) Palace, were the beaming coupled waved to the cheering throng.

Two days later Beatrice's condition was leaked to newspapers, where, to the Emperor's great relief it caused an upsurge in monarchist setiment.

Things had started well for the new Empire.

Last edited:
Very amazing indeed. Not only did Nappy move in my mind from a cool but unlikely possibility to the one who did win, but we get a combination of the ahistorical French monarchy and the historical British monarch. I like this.

I hope Napoléons son does not get any of those bloody genetic diseases from his grandmother.

RossN said:
GhostWriter: Oh yes I guess so, just that a MacDonald storyline wouldn't work for me since I'd have to undo all the changes I've made previously.

Not listed, but certainly mentioned was Napoléon's ace in the hole - he had recently after a long romance married Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter..As he reminded the Anglo-Canadians this almost certainly meant that Queen Victoria's grandchild would sit on the Canadian throne.

Things had started well for the new Empire.

but, i was suggesting that MacDonald not only would continue those changes, but even enhance them more than his opponents (would have) ! ! after all, those actions would have been less of a stretch than what you did with Napolean I... and, i am NOT complaining one iota with what you have here! :)

so, we go from not having MacDonald to having the grandchild of Queen Victoria sitting on the Canadian throne! LOL

it is good that things start out well for the new Empire! :cool:

excellent update, just excellent !

Excellent past updates, sorry I haven't been answering as much, but I do like them. :cool:

A second Napoleon of North America should spice things up nicely.

J. Passepartout: Actually hadn't even considered him when I started this AAR, but he kinda caught my (and not just mine) imagination, I'm glad he won. :)

Hmm, yes the blood diseases... I hope the Napoléons are more fortunate than the Romanovs!

GhostWriter: Ah right, got you now. :)

Henry v. Keiper Well quite! :D

Part 9: Diplomacy and guns...

napolon8tp.jpg
Above: His Imperial Majesty Napoléon I of Canada and IV of France (urecognised) in 1884.

From the Editorial of the Halifax Daily Chronicle, 12th Janurary 1884,

So it is over. Yesterday the Senate of the Canadian Republic met for the very last time to finalise arrangements for the upcoming implementation of the new constitution, and of course prepare for the election to the new parliament. No one now can doubt that republic is now gone.

For those who have lived through it, the 16 years of the Canadian Republic were an often turbulent, sometimes thrilling time. While it was responsible for some good - the Trans-Canadian Railway for instance, at least when it is eventually finished, it will not be widely mourned, even we suspect in the Irish community. Most of us Canadians are monarchists at heart, and if we canoot have Vctoria, then at least we can have Napoléon. The Republic was often a noble effort, but it is the belief of this newspaper, and we feel, most Canadians that present regime is an improvement.

Long live the Emperor!

After careful deliberation Devoy (now a MP for Montreal City) accepted the post as Prime Minister of Canada, and also leadership of a reconstituted centrist conservative Imperial Party. Macdonald accepted a position as Minister of Finance. Parnell was offered the Foreign Ministry ( a very prestigous post), but declined claiming a loss of interest in politics and returned to his rural estate in Alberta to conemplate his future (nearly everyone expected him to be back of course, after a suitable exile in the political wilderness).

On March 17th 1884 the Empress gave birth to a baby girl, named Joséphine after Napoléon's grandmother, a cause for great celebration throughout Canada as the throne now had an heir.

The foreign policy the Empire followed in the first two years of Napoléon's reign was simple: while the Emperor himself was a tolerant liberal man and no natural autocrat, he had a deep horror of left-wing anti-monarchist movements, and he was determined to forge an alliance with like minded rulers. Thus was born the theory of the Grand Alliance, a sort of Pacific orientated Dreikaiserbund composed of Canada, Russia and Japan. It was to be hoped that close personal relationships between the Emperors would cement an alliance dedicated to maintaining civilised, tolerant monarchy against the forces of anarchism, murder and conspiracy. (Napoléon hoped eventually to bring the Brazilian Empire in, and possibly even Britain, Germany and Austria).

bp-ig-cavalry.gif
Above: The Emperor inspects his new cavalry regiment, Spring '86.

In a move to help unemployment and strenghten Canadian prestige the Emperor decided to increase the peacetime strength of the Canadian army from 10,000 men to 40,000, a total of 3 infantry and 1 cavalry divisions by 1887. The Ministry of Defence assured Napoléon that this would more than sufficent to deal with an attack by any power other than the United States.

"And if the United States do attack?" wondered a puzzled Napoléon, "what would be our plan then?"

"Er, surrender and exile," admitted the Minister.

This somewhat discouraging news aside, the outlook was rosy in Canada, especially after the Empress gave birth in November 1886 to a second child, another daughter, Victoria named after Beatrice's mother, causing more jubilation on the streets (and somehat restoring Napoléon's relations with his mother-in-law, who had not been amused by his decision to accept what she regarded as a usurped throne).

Perhaps the girls name was an indication of future horizons, as there was already disscussions about making Canadian power felt abroad...

Surrender and exile? I don't think so... :mad:

J. Passepartout: Don't worry I'm sure he'll be back before too long. :)

Henry v. Keiper: Well said! I think Napoléon is made of sterner stuff than his Defence Ministry! ;)

weychun: For the moment mon, but that might change eventually.

Part 10: An Empire in fact as well as name?

wlg.jpg
Above: Wilfrid Laurier, new Minister for Finance.

The Imperialists won re-election in 1888, winning 185 of 300 seats in the newly established National Assembly (against 73 Liberals, 31 Unionists and 11 independents), at which the aging Macdonald (in 1888 he was 73) stood down. The Emperor personally intervened to pick Wilfrid Laurier, a 46 year old French Canadian to fill his post. Though the Emperor's reasoning was sound - Laurier was popular, a fine politician and on the left of the Imperialist Party, which Napoléon hoped would limit disquieting calls in certain Liberal sections to limit Imperial power. However the move backfried - alienating the substantial minority of Anglo-Canadians who had never forgiven Napoléon for his victory in 1883, and saw the failure to replace Macdonald with one of their own as a sign of their waning influence. A small minority of extremists began to consider options...

Meanwhile Napoléon's longing to increase the standing of the Empire internationally (a view shared by almost all Canadians, whatever their politics) moved a step closer to completion. In August 1887, Napoléon had undertaken a four month long visit to the Imperial Courts of Japan and Russia (to confer with his Imperial 'Brothers'), and as the Imperial Yacht Corsica crossed the Pacific it stopped for a while in Hawaii, where the Emperor visited the famous Father Damien and his sancturary (even if his aides pleaded with him not to get too close) and was entertained by King Kalākaua. Though some two decades the Emperor's senior, the two got on very well, especially thanks to Kalākaua's similar experience as an elected monarch. As it was the King related to the Emperor that Hawaii had fallen on hard times, with an ungrateful and corrupt parliament, an uncertain inheritance and a throne stripped of much of it's power and authority.

kalkaua3kn.jpg
Above: His Majesty, King Kalākaua of Hawaii.

"Worst of all," said Kalākaua morosely, "is that we native Hawaiians are a dying people. For the past few years thousands of Japanese immigrants have arrived to the extent that they now dominate politics, business and culture. 80% of the population defines itself as Japanese and I have no doubt they will soon propose a motion to be annexed by the Japanese - which would be the end of us. I fear your fellow Emperor, or at least his goverment, is not quite so liberal towards foreigners as yours, especially Christians as we all are these days."

At the time there was little Napoléon could do, other than offer his genuine sympathies, but during the voyage to Japan an idea occurred that could help out the plight of the native Hawaiian and increase the standing of Canada: simply put Hawaii should become part of the Canadian Empire! When he reached Tokyo, he persuaded the Meiji Emperor to let the Japanese of Hawaii to fall under the Canadian sphere, for, as he argued:

"Hawaii is too distant from Japan, and is certainly being watched closely by the Americans. I don't believe they would mind if Canada took control - we are friendly, European and Christian, and, sad to say, no threat to them. You on the other hand, mon frere, are sadly seen as a dangerous foreign devil to be kept at arms length. It isn't right or fair that it should be so, but I fear it to be true. Let Canada take control of Hawaii and I swear to look after and protect your people there, offer them the strong hand of Imperial goverment. Believe me this is the best solution for all."

After careful thought and discussion the two Emperors agreed and Napoléon was able to send a telegram to Devoy back in Montreal to start construction of transport steamers, in preperation for an expedition late the following year.

Last edited:
So, I imagine that Mr. Bonaparte will send a military man to scope things out and lend his services to King Kalākaua? And then he will tour the country and make people aware of the king's new allegience to the Emperor of Canada? :) War desired by both sides...

Hawaii could be a nice Pacific possession, but only if it is properly held. Sandwiched between Japan and America, it'll be a tough spot strategically.

Excellent work, I finally caught up and can I say that I didn't think that this would be the new direction for this AAR!

But tis good, if you want the Christians in the South Pacific are often repressed, military assistance maybe required.

RossN said:
After careful thought and discussion the two Emperors agreed and Napoléon (sent) a telegram to Devoy...

cool ! so, does that mean a stop in Hawaii on the return to Canada? :cool:

very nice!