+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 405 FirstFirst ... 13 38 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 88 113 138 163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 8084

Thread: For King and Country

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    I'm not going to promise anything folks, but I might be able to get the next post up sometime before Monday (my time that is). Let's all keep our fingers crossed, eh?
    Considering your amazing proficency for regular updates I think we can let such a delay slip. Take a break. Have a cup of tea and maybe a chocolate digestive. OK! Two.

sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by stnylan
    Of course, it has just occurred to me that a large body of troops sitting in Honk Kong are quite well placed for deployment to all sorts of interesting places.
    Hmmmmm.......
    Taiwan and the Japanese homeland come to mind. Take out your enemies - make the first hit a killing blow!

Would-be King of Dragons Draco Rexus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Within spittin' distance of the Capital of the Free World
    Glad am I that my readAARs are as devious as I am!
    Here... Here There Be Dragons!!
    Women, knights, arms, loves
    Courtesies, bold deeds I sing
    For King and Country - An evil Empire or a benevolent monarchy? You decide!
    Official Byzantine Courtier - as certified by Judas Maccabeus
    Glorification Of Saint Draco Rexus, Patron Of Britain And Dragons! - Thanks to asd21593

They say the best men are moulded out of faults And, for the most, become more better for being a little bad.
    Measure for Measure, Act 5, Scene 1
    Proud Member of the enlightened The Spendid Paradoxian Monarchist Group

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

On the third of August, 1939, the British Empire achieved a diplomatic coup when it was announced that the Republic of Turkey was joining the Imperial Alliance headed by the British Empire.

Although pushing hard for “westernization” in all aspects of government, social and religious life, Turkey had been closely linked to the Soviet Union following the end of the Great War, during the Turkish war of Independence that followed the final death of the Ottoman Empire, and in the early years of the Republic. Led by Mustfa Kemal Atatürk (Atatürk meaning “Father Turk”), an ardent admirer of the West, Turkey paradoxically kept close ties with Communist anti-West Russia throughout the 1920s and early 1930s, obtaining material and technical support to industrialize, such aid that was not forthcoming from the West.

In the late 1920s, following the worldwide Depression following the “Crash of ‘29” and despite an economic recovery that Atatürk’s right hand man, Mustafa İsmet İnönü, had formulated with the assistance of Moscow, relations gradually cooled between the Turks and Soviet Russia. While there is no concrete proof, there are several allegations that Atatürk shied away from closer relations with Stalin due to the Turk’s recognition of the Soviet leader’s rabid paranoia. While making for interesting fiction writing, the more believable truth is that Turkey had modernized itself as far as it could with the assistance of the Soviets and began courting the West to continue the Republic’s rise from the ashes of the old Ottoman Empire.

In the mid-1930s with tensions in Europe growing in relation to the rise of fascist governments in German, Italy, Spain and Hungary, and Communist efforts to topple the governments of France, Belgium and the British Empire, Turkey fended off approaches of several Western nations, intending to stay as neutral as possible for as long as possible, while simultaneously reaping the benefits of multiple economic agreements with those same nations. Secretly aided by sources outside the Republic, several Communist political groups emerged about the same time and began calling for a rejection of Turkey’s associations with the West and a return to closer ties with the Turk’s large neighbor to the north who had been of assistance since the birth of the Republic. In an eerily similar chain of events to what occurred in London, Atatürk was assassinated in early 1938 by members of a radical Communist Party.

Mustfa Kemal Atatürk

Replacing Turkey’s first and beloved President was Atatürk’s right hand man and former Army Chief of Staff, Mustafa İsmet İnönü, who with almost rabid support from the citizens of the Republic, squashed the Communist groups operating within Turkey and severed all ties with the Soviet Union and began to allow the West to open negotiations for closer ties

Mustafa İsmet İnönü

While acknowledging the opportunity to enlarge the ring around Communist Russia, the British Empire failed to put much effort into securing an alliance with Turkey, although numerous trade agreements were produced through the negations of 1938. With the dawn of 1939 and worsening relations with Italy, the Foreign Office had a change of heart, realizing that the Turks could provide a counter to any Soviet incursions into Persia as well as give pause to any Italian designs upon the Eastern Mediterranean. In a diplomatic blunder that still reverberates to this day, the Soviet Union attempted to counter the Empire’s new courtship of Turkey by bluntly threatening the Turks and demanding that Turkey come into the Soviet sphere of influence by way of economic and military alliances.

Reacting quite negatively to Moscow’s heavy handed approach, Turkey agreed to join the Imperial Alliance and hosted the official signing of the alliance documentation between King George VI and İsmet İnönü in Turkey’s new capital of Ankara on August 3, 1939.

Excerpt from The Roads to War
    By F.E.H. von Longaernon

Up next: The Royal Marines become even more scary...
    Glorification Of Saint Draco Rexus, Patron Of Britain And Dragons! - Thanks to asd21593

They say the best men are moulded out of faults And, for the most, become more better for being a little bad.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    The anti-fascist, anti-communist net becomes yet more diverse I see. A rather interesting ally I would think.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: A Milanese Education EU3 DW 5.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

ahh containment of the threats! let hope it works eh?
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Very cunning, a good strategic ally and if at the end of a victorious war with Italy you wont to put there noses in the dirt that little bit more you can hand Tripoli back over to the Turks.

Can't wait to see the Marines get even scarier.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

I just hope that Britains many allies prove able partners in battle and not bumbling sidekicks who need to be bailed out. You want to be able to concentrate in one or two theatres and not have to worry about propping up your allies.

I'm up for anything that makes the RMs bigger and badder, so bring it on!
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: The Prince that was Promised - a Game of Thrones mod AAR for CKII

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

The Song of The Marines

There’s gotta be pork, there’s gotta be beans,
    In order to fill up and fatten the fightin’ Marines,
    The Mighty Marines.
    We carry all our vitamins inside a little can,
    For corned beef is a delicacy in China or Japan,
    We know that we go prepared
    To fight the foe or see that we keep ‘em scared;
    On land we always land a bit of femininity,
    And then we hear the bugle blow,
    And where the heck are we?

Over the sea let’s go, men!
    We’re shovin’ right off,
    We’re shoven’ right off again;
    Nobody knows where or when,
    We’re shovin’ right off
    We’re shovin’ right off again.
    It may be Shanghai,
    Farewell and goodbye;
    Sally and Sue, don’t be blue;
    We’ll just be gone for years and years and then,
    We’re shovin’ right off for home again!

There’s gotta be work, as well as canteens,
    In order to discipline all of those fightin’ Marines,
    The blighted Marines.
    But also by this rule they must have lots and lots of play,
    And that’s how you bring up the Marines into the fighting way;
    And so, a good N.C.O. can takes us in tow,
    None of us then give a hang,
    But deal the blow with parry and thrust and bang;
    And when the scrap is over, we’ll relax in our own way,
    Each man for himself with the dames around,
    Call it a day;

Over the sea let’s go, men!
    We’re shovin’ right off,
    We’re shoven’ right off again;
    Nobody knows where or when,
    We’re shovin’ right off
    We’re shovin’ right off again.
    It may be Shanghai,
    Farewell and goodbye;
    Sally and Sue, don’t be blue;
    We’ll just be gone for years and years and then,
    We’re shovin’ right off for home again!

Al Dubin & Charles Dunn
    Remick Music Corp.

Royal Marine Corps Portsmouth Barracks, Stonehouse
    Office of the Commandant
    Portsmouth, England
    August 16, 1939

Realizing that the manpower availability solely within the British Isles was insufficient to support the growth of the Empire’s military, the Imperial General Staff had decided shortly after the start of the women’s services recruitment drive to begin plans to field “mixed” regiments. These regiments would be made up battalions of both sons of the British Isles and sons of the former Commonwealth nations and Colonies. To the shock of a good number of the IGS, many officers and men of the British Army had grave reservations of serving alongside troops from the Far East, specifically India and Malaya.
    A solution was reached when General Slim of the Royal Marines entertained the thought that due to the intense interdependency of Marine regiments, it might be best to integrate these battalions in to the Marine regiments that were in the process of forming. As the fourth Marine regiment earmarked for General Slim’s Marine Force Two, the Devonshire Maritime Yeomanry, was at full compliment on March 28 and had begun the process of advanced training, it was determined to have the fifth and sixth regiments assigned to General Slim’s command would be integrated regiments.

the Devonshire Maritime Yeomanry in their new assault craft

On April 6, the Pembroke Yeomanry, under the command of Colonel Alasdair Kim, mustered in at Stonehouse with four of its battalions, or roughly half the Marines of the Regiment, being comprised of fierce Sikhs from the Punjab of India. While the initial stages of training for the Pembroke Yeomen as rocky due to a sense of racism among some of the Marine recruits, Colonel Kim and his cadre of NCOs were able to severely curb those feelings through a mixture of lectures and traditional military training that tore down every recruit to the lowest common denominator and then began the rebuilding process.

Sikhs of 2nd Battalion, Pembroke Yeomanry

Several days after the mustering of the Pembroke Yeomanry, the Royal Marine Corps unfurled the colours of the Duke of Albany’s Maritime Infantry, a regiment that was comprised of six battalions of Gurkhas from the Imperial Protectorate of Nepal. No stranger to the Empire, Gurkhas had been in service to the British Crown since 1817 when the first Gurkha troops were employed by the British East India Company before becoming part of the British Indian Army in 1857 and of all of the “Colonial” troops being integrated into the British military, the Gurkhas were the least resisted by the British military professionals. In fact, based upon the exploits of the Gurkha Rifle regiments of the Great War, specifically during the Gallipoli Campaign when the 6th Gurkhas captured a feature later known as "Gurkha Bluff" and at Sari Bair where they were the only troops in the whole campaign to reach and hold the crest line and look down on the Straits which was the ultimate objective, and during the Battle of Loos in 1915 when the 8th Gurkha Rifles fought to the last man defending positions from a German counter-attack, many within the military welcomed the arrival of the men from Nepal, recalling the words of Sir Ralph Turner of the Queen Alexandra’s Own Gurkha Rifles:

“As I write these last words, my thoughts return to you who were my comrades, the stubborn and indomitable peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see you in your bivouacs or about your fires, on forced march or in the trenches, now shivering with wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning sun. Uncomplaining you endure hunger and thirst and wounds; and at the last your unwavering lines disappear into the smoke and wrath of battle. Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had country more faithful friends than you."

Gurkhas of the Duke of Albany’s Maritime Infantry's 5th Battalion

Within several weeks, the two new Marine regiments were in the full throes of the harsh Royal Marine training regimen, and on April 16 when all three regiments were presented to General Lord Mountbatten and General Slim, the new Marines, English, Scot, Welsh, Irish, Canadian, South African, Australian, New Zealander, Sikh, and Gurkha, stood before the Royal Marine Corps Portsmouth Barracks at Stonehouse with a sense of pride at their unique status within the Empire.

For the Empire, the inclusion of the three new Marine Regiments meant that Royal Marine Corps had a total of fourteen regiments, each with an attached artillery brigade, divided into two separate field forces, Force One under the Commandant, Lord Mountbatten with eight regiments, and Force Two under Assistant Commandant, General Slim, with six regiments. At the ceremony that officially welcomed the three new regiments into the Corps, King George VI sent a clear signal to the world when he clearly indicated that the purpose of the Royal Marines was to project the power and might of the British Empire around the globe, wherever the interests of the Empire may lay or be imperiled.

Excerpt from The Roads to War
    By F.E.H. von Longaernon

Anybody who is intelligent fears the Gurkha... now can you imagine the impact of a Gurkha Marine?

Up Next: The descent picks up some more speed!

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Well done Draco, now you managed to get Turkey to join as well that is really impressive work. How did you manage that, they always seems to say no to alliance proposals…

Nice work with the Marines, now they are really scary. As you say everyone fears the Gurkhas and now you have Gurkha marines, well that have to be some good units. Nice work, looking forward to see them in battle
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Well done Darco, long time reader, I just hadnt posted recently well at all i think. These Gurkha Marines will be formidable.
    Kingy
    Past AARs
    Göttdämmerung-(1944)-A-Canadian-AAR - Abandoned due to corrupted save game
    Glory-Honour-or-Death-An-Australia-36-AAR - Abandoned due to apathy

nice update! Gurkha Marines eh? should fear a kilk-wearing scot marine
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

Blog Entries
    Gurkas + Royal Marines = pwned!!!!!

We already have them, one of the orginial regiments, the Highland Marines!

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    The enemies of the Empire should be very, very afraid.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: A Milanese Education EU3 DW 5.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

This would also go along way toward cementing India to your Empire. Many of them only wanted respect after all. Now they are even treated as Equals. The Japanese may not get as many recuits by promising to Liberate India after the war, which is what forced the British to make the same promise just to hold it. Very nice move! And great writing too.

Draco Rexus: ...many officers and men of the British Army had grave reservations of serving alongside troops from the Far East, specifically India and Malaya..A solution was reached when General Slim of the Royal Marines..it was determined to have the fifth and sixth regiments assigned to General Slim’s command would be integrated regiments.

IIRC, IRL General Slim was one of your better WW2 officers... however, to truly integrate the 'other' races, you need to have an integrated officer corps, as well. [hint, hint: snag some excellent officers from those lands...]

Draco Rexus: ...On April 6, the Pembroke Yeomanry..with four of its battalions..being comprised of fierce Sikhs from the Punjab of India...

like the Gurkha from Nepal, those Sikhs when treated equally and with respect, are capable of being among the best fighters in the world.

indeed, all British peoples have/will need to realize that all are equal! !

Draco Rexus: ...“As I write these last words..Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had country more faithful friends than you."

i have read these "words" before, and they still bring tears to me eyes. truly, honest praise and appreciation. all troops who are treated with respect and appreciation will fight with great distinction and honor.

Draco Rexus: ...(the) Royal Marine Corps (now) had a total of fourteen regiments...

in his AAR, Kanitatlan stated that 7 is one of the optimum numbers of divisions to invade with, provided that all seven are of the same type. perhaps you could consider splitting those Royal Marines into two sevens. [ specifically, IIRC, 6 is the maximum invasion force of mixed unit types. 7 and 8 are also optimum for same unit type. 9 is borderline between optimum and desperation. ]

Draco Rexus: Anybody who is intelligent fears the Gurkha... now can you imagine the impact of a Gurkha Marine?

personally, if it were possible, i would like to see those Gurkha units have extra attack/defense values...

Draco Rexus: The descent picks up some more speed!

it seems that the enemies of the Empire are in a hurry for their own destruction! !

awesome updates! !
    B an 0:-), make someone happy, :-) GhostWriter :-)

"Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we never had to put up a wall to keep our people in." . . . - John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Berlin, 1961

"Refusing to forgive is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." - not sure

thanks for the 6.10.10 update Valdemar ! ! : HOI1 *First Resistance* check it out ! !

HOI2 Cat War – Alternate USA AAR, By Amona ; discover this now ! !

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Gurkha Marines? Awesome! And if the descent is picking up speed then we must be getting close to the balloon going up.
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: The Prince that was Promised - a Game of Thrones mod AAR for CKII

You could say that!

Update attempting to get posted this afternoon!

CHAPTER FIFTY - Part One

Something Evil this way comes.

32 Wilhelmstraße
    Abwher Headquarters
    Berlin, Germany
    August 22, 1939

“Herr Admiral, you sent for me,” asked General Hans Oster as he strode into Admiral Canaris’ new and supposedly secret office in the Reich Finance Ministry building.

“Hans, have a seat,” Canaris said as he looked up from a report on his desk and motioned toward a plush chair situated in front of his desk. “I appreciate your promptness. Take a look at this and give me your recommendation.”

Opening the proffered folder jacket, it didn’t take log for Oster very long to visibly go pale. “Does that Austrian psychopath lack any morality? He actually means to climb into bed with that animal?”

“Unfortunately Hans, he does,” Canaris sighed heavily. Taking a cigarette from the silver case on his desk and lighting it, he asked amid a cloud of exhaled smoke, “So, what do we do about it or do we even do anything at all?”

Taking several seconds to think and the liberty of lighting his own cigarette, Oster mused, “We clearly cannot prevent it from occurring as we don’t yet have the resources to make a change, so covert and overt action is out of the question.”

“Very true, Hans, very true,” the Abwehr chief agreed.

“Who else knows of this information, sir?”

“A handful of people,” Canaris said from behind his cigarette. “One of whom is as adverse to the current state of affairs in the Fatherland as we are, hence our appropriation of this information.”

“I wonder if it would help if more people were to gain such knowledge before the actual event,” Oster continued to muse amid a cloud of cigarette smoke.

“Like whom, my friend? Who in Germany has the ability to force a reversal of the agreement and who in Europe has the resources to prevent it from happening?”

“No one, dammit,” the Abwehr assistant chief sighed with regret. Stamping out his cigarette as his mind raced with plans and counter plans with ways to cope with a situation that he truly had not control of, the intelligence officer sighed heavily. Looking at his superior and friend he made a suggestion that would have no direct impact on the event that made his stomach roll, but made that rolling slightly less turbulent. “We could let the British know.”

“And how is that going to help,” Canaris asked with a cryptic look upon his brow.

“I don’t think it will help in the short term, but,” Oster replied with sudden feeling as his brain began thinking of possible outcomes. “just possibly the British may be able to create enough mischief to make it impossible for this agreement to become profitable.”

“If it is one thing the British excel in, my dear Hans,” Admiral Canaris said with a wicked grin, “it is creating mischief. I had had the same thought a moment before you walked in the door and was hoping that I was not simply grasping at straws.”

“Well, we still maybe, sir,” Oster replied. “As you said, no one in Europe, even considering the re-strengthening of the British Empire, can prevent this thing from occurring, but at this point, I’m willing to grasp at any straw if it hurts our so-called beloved Führer.”

“Agreed,” Canaris said with a grin at his second’s biting sarcasm. “Have one of our lads get this information to the Brits and then let us sit back and watch the games begin.”

Up Next: ... Part Two

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 405 FirstFirst ... 13 38 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 88 113 138 163 ... LastLast