• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
International Intrigue

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Royal20apartments20at20Windsor20cas.jpg

Windsor Castle
London, England
March 30, 1937

To the majority of the meeting room’s occupants, the fidgeting displayed by the Sovereign of the British Empire was new and slightly unnerving. The King himself was in a similar state. After all, it was not every day that one had to attend a small group meeting with not only the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Papal Secretary of State for the Holy Father of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Pius XI.

It was not that King George was feeling guilty of anything, well, at least nothing that anyone brought up within the Anglican faith and having a deep respect for the Church, would feel when meeting two such powerful servants of the Church. What made matters worse was that he still had no idea as to what the meeting was about, and that was something that concerned the King.

The door to the conference room opened and a servant announced, “Your Majesty, The Most Reverend Primate, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Reverend Lang.”

Lang20Cosmos20Photo.jpg

Rev. Cosmos Gordon Lang
Archbishop of Canterbury​

Walking in behind the servant strode the man who was the head of the Anglican faith around the world, and some one who had become a strong anti-communist and anti-fascist preacher in the months following the assassination of the late Edward VIII. Bowing respectfully as he reached the King, the Archbishop greeted his monarch warmly, “Good day, Your Majesty, I hope all is well with you this fine day?”

“Good day, Father Gordon,” the King replied just as warmly, “all is quite will, and you sir?”

“Outstanding, Your Majesty, outstanding.”

“Okay, Father,” Prime Minister Churchill said with a friendly growl as he came up beside the Archbishop and placed a friendly hand on the prelate’s shoulder, “just what is going on? Why is His Holiness sending Cardinal Pacelli to visit us?”

“I wish I knew, Winston,” the Archbishop replied as he shook hands with the Prime Minister warmly.

“I hard that find to believe,” Churchill replied, somewhat shocked at the Archbishop’s response. “It’s not every day that a Prince of the Roman Church requests an audience with the King, through the offices of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Archbishop not having any idea of what the audience was going to discuss.”

“In all honesty, Winston, Your Majesty,” Lang replied sincerely, “all I know is that the Pope requested we allow Pacelli to meet with us, specifically the three of us, to discuss a matter of concern to the Church and to the Empire.”

“Well, does that not only cover just about everything and anything, it also sounds to be quite possibly… dubious,” Churchill wondered aloud while the King and Archbishop nodded in agreement.

“Isn’t the Cardinal,” King George inquired of his Archbishop, “the heir apparent for the Pope?”

“While anything is possible with Rome’s College of Cardinals, Your Majesty,” Lang replied, “yes, Pacelli is looked upon as the most likely to succeed Pius.”

“So what is the likelihood that this meeting is more to do with the Cardinal’s laying ground work for when he becomes the Holy Father rather than something from the current Pope,” Churchill, ever the political hound, asked with a calculating look in his eye.

“From what I know the relationship between Pius and Cardinal Pacelli,” Archbishop Lang replied, “I would lean toward this being a meeting to voice concerns both to the current Pope as well as the future one.”

Whatever question Churchill was going to ask next was interrupted by another servant opening the door and announcing, “Your Majesty, His Eminence, Eugenio Cardinal Pacelli.”

pacelli-pio12.jpg

Eugenio Cardinal Pacelli
Papal Secretary of State for Pius XI​

Walking in purposefully, the Vatican’s Papal Secretary of State approached the three men of importance that graced the room. Coming to a stop in front of the King, the Cardinal bowed deeply, and greeted King George in slightly Italian accented English, “Your Majesty, I bring greetings from His Holiness, Pius XI, and his wishes that all is well with the Royal Family and the mighty British Empire. I also bring greetings to you, Reverend Lang, and bring greetings of brotherly love from the Holy Father.”

“Greetings, Your Eminence,” the King replied, “I hope all is well with the Holy Father?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” the Cardinal stated simply. Taking the seat offered by King George, the Cardinal waited until both the Prime Minister and the Archbishop had themselves been seated at the small table and after a member of the King’s entourage placed a tray of drinks for the four men, took a breath and began. “Your Majesty, Prime Minister, Reverend, the Holy Father, I, and the Church itself wish to thank you for agreeing to meet with me. The issue is one of great importance to the Church, the British Empire, and the Holy Father and I both believe, the world at large.”

Glancing at the other two men at the table, and receiving an assenting nod from the King, Churchill stated simply, “You have our attention, Your Eminence. Please go on.”

Taking a sip of the scotch whiskey that had been poured for him while he was speaking, Cardinal Pacelli said cautiously, “The Holy See is about to release to the world two encyclicals. These encyclicals could cause, and some within the Holy See dearly hope they will, great discord with the world and specifically Europe.”

“And what, pray tell, would these encyclicals be about, Your Eminence, and why would some within the See seek that sort of discord,” the Archbishop asked incredulously.

“The first is titled, Mit brennender Sorge, and is addressed to the Church’s German dioceses.”

“With deep anxiety,” the King wondered aloud.

“Yes, Your Majesty, ‘with burning worry’ literally,” the Cardinal replied.

“Considering the title is in German, can we conclude that it is anti-German,” Churchill asked pointedly.

“No, Prime Minister,” Cardinal Pacelli replied promptly, “anti-Nazi.”

“And the forgoing of Latin is an attempt to reach directly to the German people? I can see where that could create a great deal of discord within Germany,” Reverend Lang said after a moment of thought.

“The hope of the Holy See,” Pacelli replied, "is for Germany to release itself from the burdens that Nazism promises.”

“Why now and not three years ago when Hitler came into power,” Churchill asked.

“Prime Minister,” the Cardinal answered, “it is because of the Nazi’s failure to act accordingly with the November 3 encyclical Dilectissima Nobis.”

“Ah, the Holy Sees protest against anti-Church policies in the Republican controlled areas of Spain,” Archbishop Lang interjected. “I take it, Cardinal, that the Holy Sees stated assertion that that the Church found no difficulty in adapting herself to various civil institutions, be they monarchic or republican, aristocratic or democratic, provided the divine rights of God and of Christian consciences were safe has not been honored by the German leadership?”

Taking a folder from an aide that had been motioned from outside of earshot and then motioning him away, the King read from within in the folder, “I quote, ‘The Third Reich does not desire a modus vivendi with the Catholic Church, but rather its destruction with lies and dishonor, in order to make room for a German Church in which the German race will be glorified.’ I take it this encyclical is the Holy Sees response, Your Eminence?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Pacelli answered simply.

“Again I quote,” King George continued from the papers in his folder, “…’the Nazis are false prophets with the pride of Lucifer. It does not make any difference whether they flock to the banners of the social revolution, whether they are guided by a false conception of the world and of life, or whether they are possessed by the superstition of a race and blood cult. They are in fact only miserable plagiarizes who dress up ancient error in new tinsel.’ Will the encyclical contain such similar strong language, Your Eminence?”

Wondering why the King of the British Empire would have an exact quote from his sermon made at Lourdes before the pilgrim mass of 250,000, Pacelli replied with complete honesty, “Yes, Your Majesty, most assuredly.”

“Interesting,” the King replied. “But what of the other encyclical, what or who is the target of the second one you mentioned?”

“It is titled, Divini redemptoris,” the Cardinal replied, skillfully and smoothly shifting gears that only years of working in Church politics could teach.

“On Atheistic Communism,” King George stated after recalling his Latin. “I can only assume what sort of impact that is going to have in France, Spain and not to mention, Russia.”

“Truly, Your Majesty,” the Cardinal said with a slightly worried tone to his voice, “we in the Holy See are concerned regarding that impact. The Church must react to the growing menace of both Communism and Nazism, however, both of these movements have the ability to strike back in such a way that would seriously jeopardize the Church ability to continue to combat those menaces.”

“And what does the Holy Father wish of the British Empire,” Churchill asked bluntly while his King sat back to contemplate while the Archbishop of Canterbury did likewise.

Taking a deep breath, Cardinal Pacelli made the request of the Pope known. After several seconds of silence, Churchill replied, “You do realize that some could consider what you ask us to do to be an act of war?”

“The Holy See acknowledges this, Prime Minister,” the Papal envoy replied heavily, “and understands why if the British Empire does not feel able to grant the Church’s request.”

Standing up from his chair with drink in hand, King George waved the others back into their seats and then proceeded to pace around the other three men. With his right hand slid into his trouser pocket and the other occasionally bringing this glass of scotch to his lips for a sip, the British Empire’s sovereign thought and planned and formulated, all the while the others sat and waited. After a few moments, the King spun upon his heel and smiled at the Papal Envoy and said simply, “Far be it from the British Empire to turn down a request from the Holy See, Your Eminence. You provide your encyclicals, and the British Empire will ensure that they reach the right persons.”

Ramifications... up next

You cannot deny the King's flair for the dramatic. Or indeed Dracos :D

I suspect that this will annoy all the wrong people. Which can only be a good thing!

Brilliant update! Hahaha, the Pope has to come back to one of the most Protestant countries in the world for help.... :D

But help for what? I'm deeply curious...:D

If only the Pope in OTL had been so wise.

The Nazi's Krystallnacht had its Kirkennacht plan as well. Once Nazi rule had been firmly established in Europe, there was to be a cleansing of Germany from the false religion of Christianity.

Hitler believed that Christians as well as Jews had a higher loyalty than to the state and were thus a threat to good governance.

This bodes well for the repatriation of Ireland into the fold of Empire, and will certainly not hurt the reputation of Britain with the ruling Democratic Party in the US.

Well done Draco - what a brilliant and lateral mind you have!

I am ignorant of the possible implications of such an act.

Germany has a very small Catholic population, Russia almost none. Spain is revolting against the Church. So only France would truely be upset yes?

BBBD said:
I am ignorant of the possible implications of such an act.

Germany has a very small Catholic population, Russia almost none. Spain is revolting against the Church. So only France would truely be upset yes?

well historically the popes messages helped to combine the resistance to the nazism in several countries,

that being said the the anti-comminsm stance from the pope created a long "shism" in several catholic nations with families where both sons where doing the right thing

the first son joining the resistance and the second son joining the Waffen SS to fight the bolshjeviks ... both because of what was being said by the curch

aside from that intresting update

Really great update Draco, without even telling what the Church has planned you really got attention. Now you hurry up with the next update I need to know what is going to happen next :)

What ho? Doth the Most Catholic and Orthodox Church of Rome seek succor from hereticks? :D

I like the way that the Holy See attacked Nazism and not fascism in general. Courage is one thing, but suicidalism is another, eh? ;)

BTW, Catholics were and are a minority in Germany, but a large minority. (A higher percentage of the population than African-Americans are in the US, IIRC.)

Draco Rexus said:
...“Far be it from the British Empire to turn down a request from the Holy See, Your Eminence. You provide your encyclicals, and the British Empire will ensure that they reach the right persons.”
the enemy of my enemy is my ally! not always the best of logic, but here it seems to fit very well! ! ! ;)

our king not only assists the "strike" against the rebellious Irish Communists, but against all Communists, including (especially?) those in Moscow. :D of course, the encyclical against the Nasties is also a good thing! ! ! :D

poor France! caught between Germany, England, and the Pope! ;) LOL

while the encyclicals will not effect the Soviet Union as much as would the same action by the leader of the Church of the East, it may influence said leader... :cool:

astounding! ! ! :D

Germany has a very small Catholic population,
Actually Bavaria and alot of Southern Germany is very Catholic. But since Germany is dominated by Prussia, Protestantism is greater in Germany (as well as being greater in the North).

It has taken me two whole days to get through all 22 (22!) pages of this AAR, but every minute was worth it. Not only did we get Kings in Britain, Commies in Ireland and France (which I hate by the way), but now the Pope himself has come to George for help.

It does all of us Anglicans proud

Keep up the good work.

Draco, I just got fully caught up! Sorry I've been away for so long.

I think it's funny, the colors you chose for the Irish (shamrock green) and Oswald Mosley (pink! :rofl: ).

MI-6 behind the Stalinist Purges? Hmm.... I can see that! Great job.

And I see you trying to blame me for your cliffhangers! ;)

You know, as a student of the demise of the Weimar Republic, I worry about the pace of centralization in Great Britain and her dominions. Things seem to be proceeding with a very Palpatinian inexorability! Hmm... Hmmm...

And it doesn't catch me at all odd that the ministers would be willing to follow this line of reasoning toward giving the King more power -- it's happened before. It's human nature. And it does seem that (as one reader mentioned) they seem rather friendly to these ideas in the first place, so naturally they would agree... But that's much like how the Weimar democracy handed power over to a dictator!

'Course, to believe it so, we must disregard what the author tells us about his characters' characters. But -- really, dear readers -- how far can we trust this Draco Rexus fellow?! :rofl:

I am forced to wonder whether Oswald Mosley may end up being the King's creature, every bit as much as Eamon De Valera has become! Hmm...

Looking forward to Chapter 22: Governor General Franklin Roosevelt :rofl:

Draco Rexus said:
Now, granted I'd rather have a battery of 155mm Long Toms
I have had the opportunity to see one of these in live-fire. Truly glorious! You can see the shell for miles downrange!

btw... I really love the photos you've found of the royal and government properties and palaces!

Eager to see what the King has agreed to, with regard to the Pope!

Great work, Draco! Keep it up!

Rensslaer

Thank you one and all for you kind words, encouragements, and above all else, your readership.

I'm working on the next post and am having a few revisions pouring through my mind and fighting to make their impact felt, so it may be a few days yet before it this gets updated, and on top of that I'm dealing with a wife, a five year old and a three year old all with the stomach flu, as well as dealing with my nine-month old (who thankfully has kept himself away from his mother and brothers - yes he is a daddy's boy!), so since they are all down for a nap right now I figured I'd jump on and give my loyal readAARs a sitrep.

Never you fear, brave fellows, the update is coming down the pike, we just don't know at what speed yet, eh?

Thanks again,

Joe