• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow Draco, that was one great update. Really nice. Now I only hope that the Army arrives in time, but I fear the King is already dead, and the Empire will soon have a new King. Can’t wait to see what happens next :)

CHAPTER NINE

The King is Dead, Long Live the King!

October 25, 1936
London

“This is Edward R. Murrow, CBS News. London, Britain, and the whole peoples of the British Empire are in a mood best described as angry, tense and eager to learn the fate of their King.

I am standing here near the residence of the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street waiting for an announcement from Prime Minister Churchill.

Just days after the attack on Clarence House, much has been learned since the first chaotic hours. Scotland Yard has announced that the perpetrators of the attack have been identified as members of the English Workers Union Party, a group known for violent Bolshevik leanings, and numbered thirty heavily armed gunmen. According to sources at the Home Office, eighteen of the attackers were either killed attacking Clarence House or during the wild melee ended in it’s recapture by members of the Life Guard, and the remainder were captured in various conditions of health. These same sources have made it known that while the British Government suspects the attack was supported by sources outside the British Empire, the only firm evidence available shows that the attack was planned and carried out by the EWUP, a splinter group of the Communist Party of England, and may have had assistance of both the official Communist Party, as well as the Communist Party’s other splinter group, the Workers of England, and that an investigation is in progress to determine exactly what was known by whom.

While the Empire waits for news of the King’s health, it mourns the deaths of the King’s younger brother Prince Henry, and his wife Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, Lords Halifax, Hailsham, Doxford and their wives. They, along with the alleged mistress of the King, Mrs. Simpson, the Guardsmen and servants who died during the assault bring the total dead to fifty.

Ladies and gentlemen, the door has opened and Prime Minister Churchill is walking out, flanked by the surviving members of the Privy Council and surrounded by many members of the House of Lords. The look on the Prime Minister’s face is best described as bleak. Here is the Prime Minister:”

church.jpg

“Ladies and gentleman, citizens of the British Empire, I have the misfortune to be forced to announce that our beloved Sovereign, Edward VIII, has been called to Almighty God.”

Catching his breath, Churchill continues:

“Whereas it has pleased Almighty God to call to his mercy our late Sovereign Lord King Edward VIII, of blessed and glorious memory, by whose Decease the Crown is solely and rightfully come to the High and Mighty Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George:
We, therefore, the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the Realm, being assisted with these His late Majesty's Privy Council, with representatives of other Members of the Commonwealth, with other Principal Gentlemen of Quality, do now hereby with one Voice and Consent of Tongue and Heart publish and proclaim, That the High and Mighty Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George is now, by the death of our late Sovereign of happy memory, become King George VI, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland, and of the British dominions beyond the seas, King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India, Sovereign of His other Realms and Territories, and Head of the Commonwealth, to whom Him Lieges do acknowledge all Faith, and constant Obedience with hearty and humble Affection, beseeching God by whom Kings and Queens do reign, to bless the Royal Prince, George VI, with long and happy Years to reign over us.

God Save The King!”

george-vi-sm.jpg
The New King​

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess the hammer has fallen. But probably not in the way the Soviets desired. In RL, the abdication weakened the throne, I would think, whereas an assassination gives it public sympathy, and thus potential strength to carry out that which is needed to avenge the attack. This may very well back-fire on the Soviets.

Long live the King!

Hmm so it happens, well it didn’t come as a surprise, but it is still sad. But then again this will probably strengthen the Royals, and I am sure George will do a great King. Good work Draco and…

GOD SAVE THE KING!

Hmm, I don't think the assassination is going to have the reprecussions the Soviets hoped for, or the EWUP for that matter. If the Brits ever find out who was behind this there's going to be hell to pay.

God save the King!

therev said:
God save the King!

Churchill certainly said a mouthfull! But great words! Is this speech taken from somewhere ?

Yeah, that's was great speech. Long live the new Rex.

Thanks for following guys!

First, I have to admit that I did not write up that speech myself (I only wish I was that good a wordsmith! :eek: ). It is actually a rough modification of the actual Proclamation for Elizabeth II in RL.

coz, LordE, Lenin, therev, prussiablue, kenneththegreat and everybody else, the reaction of the British public as well as the Government and the Royals to the assassination will prove to be quite... interesting.

With that being said..... I have bad news... this AAR will be on a temporary hold as I have just been given a Temporary Duty Assignment by my company (a large U.S. insurance company) to assist in the Gulf Coast recovery efforts, and it starts Monday. I'm not sure how long I'll be out, could be anywhere from a week to four or possible six ( :eek: ). As soon as I can and when I can, I will update this AAR (as well as follow the AARs I'm reading), but please don't anybody hold their breath, I wouldn't want to find any of my few readers off dead, eh?

Be back when I can! :D

What? Your company expects you to really work? The nerve of them. :D
Damn it your AAR starts heating up and you have to take a break. :( We'll be waiting for your return. ;)

Joe

Good luck - Hopefully all goes well on the Gulf coast for you. You have me at least waiting to see what will happen next in the U.K. :eek:

Work!? :rolleyes: When will companies learn that they're not paying people to render services and labor for them but rather they are just a means of feeding the families of writAARs. Just explain this to your boss, Draco, and I'm sure he'll understand. ;)

I thought writing AAR is just job... :D

Fear not my friend. Your constant and faithful reader will await your return.

OMGOMGOMG. Sorry, normally dont gush like that.

Draco Rexus said:
“God Save The King!”
Aye, Lad, we will be here when you return. and, in greater numbers, mark my word! ;)

all we ask is that you and yours are safe! :)

As has been said, we'll be here waiting when you can get back. And waiting in suspense, at that! :D

Draco,

Well... You finish with a bang and leave us with a cliffhanger! Quite a way to dig the hook in deeper. :D

We'll hope for your rapid return!

Rensslaer

Excellent stuff, I mean truely brilliant, almost divine in nature. :)

Bah. I have a soft-spot for Eddie VIII. Woe is us. :( I'm intersted as to where this will go internationally.