• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let me tell you guys, the end of 1939 was not a good time for me!

I'm facing what appears to be an unstoppable Germany with a Weak Incompetant Malingering P*$&y of an ally, namely France, and a collection of third rate powers that are doing thier best to help me out but aren't yet of the same caliber as the Big Boys (I'm talking about the surviving members of the Alliance).

My Royal Navy has been getting it's butt kicked the last two times it has run into the Germans, and I don't have enough transports to get my Army into the fray without running the risk of losing them while being transported.

Then I'm getting threats to the Empire from outside of Europe, and my resources are getting stretched thin.

At least my RAF is kickin' ass and takin' names and no one dares fly over British skies unless they have written permission from Fighter Command or a Death Wish.

Gee, almost kinda like RL, eh?

But... boy do I have a much better ability to rebound than the Empire of RL! My industrial complex is churning out the troops, I got hit with a few events (to answer your question Ghostwriter) that increased my manpower levels, and my resources, while thin, are still strong enough that I'm no where stressing yet.

And I still have hope that the Poles will hold out for a bit longer, the French are still building up their forces, the Soviets seem to have cooled in their relations with Berlin, Italy seems to be content to expand no further than what they've already stolen in Africa, AND Japan, while looking quite menacing, actually look to be content with what they've grabbed from China.

Sooo, what do I do next??

Well, I'm still trying to figure out how to get back into the ground war without an undue risk to my armies (I really don't wanna have spent all that money, time and resources in buildin' 'em just to have 'em lost while being transported), as well as where to put my armies. France is still pissin' me off about being W.I.M.P.s (see above), so I'm of half a mind to let 'em rot, Yugoslavia is gone, and I can't run the risk of going to Denmark or trying to force entry into the Baltic and try to land troops in Poland. That would leave Belgium, but even though they are allied with me, I haven't got military access (???).

Just to give everyone a hint, while it is dark now... it's not going to get lighter any time in the next couple of months (game time, of course :D ).

Dark days for the Empire and the Allies, Draco dark days indeed. Yugoslavia has fallen, Denmark will soon fall and perhaps also Poland, still I am actually surprised that they have managed to survive this long, I have never seen that before.
Good to see the King return unhurt and as a hero and good to know that this have an positive effect on the people, after all it should, it certainly should make a lot of more people sign up for the armed forces following the example of their sovereign.
But I have to say I do not like the strategy used by the RN in the North Sea, sending such a small and weak Channel Fleet this close to the German heartland seems like a receipt for disaster. I think the navy should remember that although it is strong the Germans are still strong and that the navy shouldn’t enter German home waters without strong numerical advantages and preferable such heavy guns and also carriers that they are able to take on anything the Germans send against them and make sure they can inflict losses on the Germans not the other way around.
Still good update, I am looking forward to read more about what happens next :)

Ouch, a bad time indeed! Poland falls to Germany, the RN humiliated and defeated by the Kriegsmarine and China succumbing to Japan. :eek: I have a three part plan:

1) Start influencing the US (cash reserves permitting, of course) and making every effort to bring them into the war as a member of the Allies as quickly as possible. While you can probably contain Germany and wallop Italy once they join the war I think you're gonna need help with Japan.

2)Start a systematic process of destroying the Kriegsmarine. Think of the Hunt for the Bismarck and apply it to every one of their surface ships. As long as you're not fighting another major naval power (ie Japan) you should be able to concentrate the RN to do this. 'Cause believe me, you do NOT want to have the German navy intact later on, it's a B**** fighting a three front naval war. In one of my games as the US the KM effectively ruled the North Sea and Eastern Atlantic because the RN was too overstretched.

3) Take MC of France. Then evacuate all their troops to N. Africa or anywhere were they might be useful. France is lost anyways and besides it'll serve those W.I.M.P.'s for being so useless. :D

sounds like we're entering the hour of the wolf.

pray we don't get eaten.

later, caff

CHAPTER SEVENTY

Despite the almost nightly bombing raids conducted by the RAF over northern Germany, the last month and a half of 1939 was dominated by an uneasy calm as Germany reinforced it’s armies in Denmark and Poland for the final assaults to crush the Poles and the Danes. The defenders of those two nations, worked feverishly to forestall the impending doom, obtaining as much assistance as was possible from the British and the nations of Scandinavian nations of Norway, Sweden and Finland.

nightbombingraid.jpg

A lonely bomber heading toward a rallying point prior a raid on Germany

Concurrently with these uneasy actions, the French maintained their strong reinforcement of the Maginot Line and other fixed fortifications and consulted with the other Allies about how best to prosecute the war against Germany and her allies, Hungary and the newly formed Croatia.

These consultations always progressed favorably until the discussions reached the topic of command of troops on French soil. The government of Marshal Pétain maintained that any foreign troops fighting in France must fall under the overall command of the French High Command, and the remaining Allies maintaining, at the behest of the British, that if that was the case, there would be no foreign troops deploying to France. It was a constant friction that caused no amount of stress among the Foreign Ministry diplomats of all the Allied governments, and it is a testimony of the ability of those diplomats (and rumors persist of the actions of the British Empire’s Office of Imperial Intelligence) that the Alliance did not break apart on those dark months.

The dawning of the new year, 1940, brought promise as the RAF was able to declare operational a complete now command within Bomber Command, Strike Command B, commanded by Air Marshal Raymond Collishaw, and comprising four full wings of the newest Vickers Wellington medium bombers, some of which still had wet paint upon their wings and fuselages as they arrived at their new bases in near York.

two_a_five.jpg

The newest addition to Bomber Command, the Vickers Wellingtons of Strike Command B

The dawning of the new year brought news that while not having a direct impact upon the war between Germany and the Allies, did cause a great deal of disquiet in the capitals of anti-Communist nations, especially very anti-Communist London. On the far side of the Baltic, the leader of Latvia, Kārlis Ulmanis, faced with twenty-five thousand troops of the Red Army perched on little Latvia’s frontier, caved in to demands from Moscow and ceded the provinces of Riga, Gulbene, Dagaupulis, Jekapils, Jelgana, and Mazirbe to the Soviet Union.

machinegun_advance.jpg

The Red Army marches into Latvia

Again, it seemed to the subjects of the British Empire, that Communism was on the march, and Parliament was the scene of a great many debates on the merits of ceasing the war against Germany and turning the forces of the Empire against Communist Russia. Into this rapidly growing debate, growing in ferocity with each exchange between supporters of Oswald’s British Union of Fascists and the other members of both the English and rapidly growing Imperial Parliaments, the Crown refused to step.

On the very next day, January 3, 1940, arguments for a cessation of hostilities with Germany died with the news of a third naval battle taking place in the Helgoland Bight, one in which the outcome not only shocked the Royal Navy but the entire world.

Excerpt from The Death of Nations
By Edgar Bryce Fellows
Paris University Press, 1960

Up next: I recommend gathering up some supplies, the next set of posts are going to be very story driven. Hopefully they will be well enjoyed, if not, just sing out and let me know so I can craft some better wordsmithing, eh? Look for the beginning in the next day or so.

The Soviets are on the march again, bomber command gets more Wellingtons, but what shocked me was the thing about the Helgoland Bright. Have the RN not learned anything yet, if they lose more vessels now there can be no talk about a peace with Germany, now it is time to send in all your aircraft carriers and your battleships and position them outside of Germany and have them sitting there until you have destroyed everything the Germans have got that are capable of floating.
More character driven stories sounds nice, I look forward to it. And if we are lucky the news form the sea might be a British victory, but for now I fear the worst, but hope for the best…

I sense a horrible warcrime in the horizon...

Heligoland Bight was the setting for a naval victory in WW1. How things seem to have changed, infering from that last remark.

Cant wait, all the hard working is creating a Brilliant AAR.

*Runs to Tesco in a Trolley Dash*

Nirot said:
Your next post can not come soon enough! I would love to read anyting you decide you would like to post. I can not imagine that you decide to post could possibly be anything other that INCREDIBLE!
Seconded. Excellent work, incredible story!

Draco Rexus: ...On the very next day, January 3, 1940, arguments for a cessation of hostilities with Germany died with the news of a third naval battle taking place in the Helgoland Bight, one in which the outcome not only shocked the Royal Navy but the entire world.

that word, "shocked", implies that the RN took a beating. something i won't believe until/unless i see it ! ! :D

hmmm. perhaps you should give the RN some air cover? ? :confused:

Draco Rexus: ...I recommend gathering up some supplies, the next set of posts are going to be very story driven.

sounds splendid to me! ! :)

oh, they will be enjoyed alright ! ! :D

excellent update! ! :cool: