Thread: Norwegian preview!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries

Norwegian preview!

Gamer.no, one of the biggest Norwegian gaming sites, just posted this preview of Galactic Civilizations 2. It's in Norwegian of course, but I could try to make a translation.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Norway über alles kenneththegreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai
    Gamer.no, one of the biggest Norwegian gaming sites, just posted this preview of Galactic Civilizations 2. It's in Norwegian of course, but I could try to make a translation.
    Lovely! This game is going to be bought

Takker for linken

Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    If you think the thought of ruling solar systems and planets sounds interesting, you should perhaps check out Galactic Civilizations II.

Galactic Civilizations II is a game for those who have dictatorial aspirations. Those who really have dictatorial aspirations. For some of us who walks around with a ruler in our stomach, games like SimCity, Children of the Nile and Medieval Lords is more than enough. To get the responsibility for a whole city, whether it's a modern city, an old-Egyptian city among the Nile or a typical European Medieaval city, should for most of us be enough responsibility.
    However, some of us has larger aspirations - these powerhungry lunatics wishes to take control of a whole country and lead it to world dominance, and uses games like Civilizations to satisfy their lusts. But that is nothing compared to the role Galactic Civilizations gives you. Here, it's not enough to rule a planet or your own little solar system. No, here you must think large.

The King of Cosmos
    Galactic Civilizations 2 is, like it's name suggests, the successor to the successful Galactic Civilizations from 2003, which itself is a remake of an older game with the same name. The predecessor can very well be described as Civilization in space, and despite this description being a little unfair, as this game is not a direct clone of Sid Meier's classic, it gives a good impression for people who have not seen the game. The successor builds on this solid fundament, but at the same time it adds some elements that brings the game more in direct competition with games like Space Empires (which will get a fifth installment later this year) and Master of Orion 3.

One of the improvements since the original (if we neglect the downloadable expansion Altarian Prophecy) is the campaign modus. This is where the subtitle "The Dread Lords" comes from. The race behind this scary name lived long before the younger races (like the humans) learned to travel in space. The evil Dread Lords fought an intence war with the honourable Arnor, who was in the process of winning when they both suddenly disappeared. The disappearance resulted in space for the other races to develop, and the two ancient races was after a while forgotten by everybody but bearded scientists(and not so bearded female scientists and robotic scientists).

You probably have already guessed what happens - yeah, the several younger races, right in the middle of colonization of the galaxy and infighting, suddenly experiences the return of the evil Dread Lords. This is, to put it mildly, no pleasant experience. What happens next is mainly your decision. The main campaign is non-linear, and even if you fail a mission, you can go on. The game will develop after how you do it, so that the progression of the campaign feels natural at the same time that you feel you have control. By the way, you are not locked to play humans, all races are available.

Is there any intelligent life out there?
    These races all have their own stenghts - some are good at diplomacy, others to keep their people in check, others are experts in warfare in space. In addition to the old races from Galactiv Civilizations we get to know several new races, including the Thalians, the proud and little nice Iconians, who is the race behind the warrior robots in the Yor collective. If you should happen to not like any of the races, you are free to make your own race from scratch. Here you can choose their strenghts, how their ships should be and so on.

Of course it's still possible to play freely as in Galactic Civilizatons 1. When you start a new game outside the campaign you'll get full control of how the galaxy should be, what races to include, etc. When this is done you are free to conquer the galaxy. The basic gameplay in Galactic Civilizations II is the same as in the predecessor. You start with control over a highly developed planet, a small combat ship and a colony ship, and a galaxy full of virgin worlds.

Colony race
    The first you should do is to colonize as many planets as possible before your enemies do. After a while you'll hopefully become friends with some of the other races and enemy of other. Here is where the game's strong diplomacy part comes into play, and you'll get plenty of opportunity to try to get the other races to see it your way. But sooner or later you'll have to use weapons, and then it would pay off to have used some money on research, so that your lasers hurt your enemies' shields and not the other way around.

Now is the time to take a look on one of the main changes since the predecessor, namely how to make space ships. While you in Galactic Civilizations got a number of premade ships, you'll have to design your own now. You start with choosing the size of the ship, then different components (as weapons, shields and such) that each influence the ship's output in some way. Therefore you can design ships that suits your needs, but be aware that the components costs mcuh money and the better the more costly.

When you're satisfied, you can save your design and use it as much as you want. You can also change it later, if you for instance have researched a new and better engine that you want to use, or have found out that another weapon is better than another. Contrary to the predesessor, the game now has three distinct veapon types( beam weapons, mass drivers and missile weapons) and three kinds of defence that each are designed with one of the three weapon types in mind.

That means that if you fight an enemy that has specialized in mass driver weapons, and you have used all your resources to defend against beam weapons, you are in big trouble.

Stars and planets
    While you only could see the stars in the pre3desessor, you can now also see the planets. That means that two races can both colonize the same solar system if they find suitable planets. Each planet is unique and have a worth between 0 and 30(where 30 is best) that tells you how much land that is suitable on the planet. When you build new things, you'll get a simple map over the planet surface where you can place the buildings. Some planets are rich on minerals, other have lots of ruins your researchers can play with.

Galactic Civilizations II uses 3D graphics, and so far it seems totally OK, even though the developrs have lots of room for improvements before this becomes a game that can compete with other 3D based space games out there. In our beta version both the ships and the planet surfaces were very simple, and the design of the ships was not very interesting. Graphics is not particulary important for these kind of games to suck you into them, but with titles like Haegemonia and Nexus on the market it's easy to become spoiled. A fun detail is that the game can be played in any resolution and if you want 3000x2000 to get full control there's nothing that can stop you(if your machine can handle it). The graphics are also very easy to scale, so that it actually works better on old computers than it's 2D graphical predecessor.

The game is still far from finished, something the beta we got shows. In addition to lack several important functions, it also had lots of small bugs (which probable will be fixed before sale) and it was therefore a little bit difficult to get a proper feel of how the game will be to play. The predecessor was at least very fun, and the new functions looks like they work good together with the game's solid fundament, so Galactic Civilizations II has the potential to become a snack for old and new fans of the genre. With improved AI, a non-linear campaign and powerful modding support it also seems like it will last a while.

The game will be released at the end of the year or early next year.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thank you for the translation, but do you think you could try to pull the text together? It is hurting my eyes to read
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blog Entries
    I haven't done anything else than copy-paste the text from Notepad to here, no codes or anything are used to make the text with 1,5 line. I don't know why it shows up so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II
    Thank you for the translation, but do you think you could try to pull the text together? It is hurting my eyes to read
    I did a quick edit. Better?

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Havard. What did I wrong? Had it something to do with me using Notepad?

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Havard
    I did a quick edit. Better?
    Much.

Thank you too

@Nikolai: Yes it probably was something with notepad and the different formatting system(s) it uses, it tends to automate <CR> upon saving making it h*ck to transport after that. (IIRC)
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Thanks for the translation.
    Very few of us realise with conviction the intensely unusual, unstable, complicated, unreliable, temporary nature of the economic organisation by which Western Europe has lived for the last half century. We assume some of the most peculiar and temporary of our late advantages as natural, permanent, and to be depended on, and we lay our plans accordingly. On this sandy and false foundation we scheme for social improvement and dress our political platforms, pursue our animosities and particular ambitions, and feel ourselves with enough margin in hand to foster, not assuage, civil conflict in the European family. Moved by insane delusion and reckless self-regard, the German people overturned the foundations on which we all lived and built.
    John M. Keynes, 1919