• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
G-Klav said:
Looks good, but: Dubrovnik should probably be transferred back to OE, or made an Ottoman Satellite (if you have lots of free tags).
Montenegro should be an Ottoman satellite, and OE shall not have it as a core.
Ried was owned by the Hapsburgs (Austria), Zell am See should be given to Salzburg.
Give Cambrai to Burgundy, as well as Arras. This could be discussed, but I feel it's the best.

I will do this soon. Thanks for the good ideas.

G-Klav said:
Also, I'm not completely sure that the 1500's would be a very good time to start... Why not let it start in the 17th century (1600) instead, the start of the 'Modern Age'? :)

I think to many interesting things happened in the 1500's. Lots of wars, the emergence of many states, the conquest of south america, the beginning of the settlement of africa and indonesia, the reformation etc. So I think I will stick to the starting date. Actually IMHO the modern age started 1500 when the medieval age had finally come to an end (fall of byzantine empire, discovery of america, start of direct trade between europe and asia, reconquista completed etc.). But of course this is a matter of personal opinion I am sure a lot of people on these boards would disagree :)

Blackberry said:
I would be curious how the technological discoveries would be done, other then the obvious need for redoing the techs to reflect a 16th-18th world. I suppose one would also have to greatly slow the progress of technological discovery both in order to reflcet the slower pace of discovery and the fact you likkely do not want them all discovered by 1650. :p

I plan to do simple techs like:
Army:
Infantry
1400 Infantry
1500 Infantry
1600 Infantry
1700 Infantry
1800 Infantry
Cavalry
1400 Cavalry
1500 Cavalry
1600 Cavalry
1700 Cavalry
1800 Cavalry

ETC.

Then specific weapons, armors, tactics, doctrines and so on would be inventions triggered by the techs eg. Arquebusier by 1400 Infantry giving fire bonus, Matchlock Rifle by 1500 Infantry giving fire, Swiss Infantry Formations by 1400 Infantry giving defense and organization etc.

It is easy to tweak the research rate to reflect the longer time period so that won't be a problem.

Corvuz_Crovax said:
I plan to do simple techs

Then specific weapons, armors, tactics, doctrines and so on would be inventions triggered by the techs eg. Arquebusier by 1400 Infantry giving fire bonus, Matchlock Rifle by 1500 Infantry giving fire, Swiss Infantry Formations by 1400 Infantry giving defense and organization etc.

It is easy to tweak the research rate to reflect the longer time period so that won't be a problem.

Cool, what will be in place of railroads? Just roadways in general and/or canals?

We also have to do something about factories. We need a way to make provisions for troops, but industrialization did not occur even in Britain until the 1800's. Maybe we could give certain countries arms factories that they cannot expand. Techs could trigger events that give factories. Population growth will also have to be limited. The economy must be kept in check till the end of the time period.

Jlop985 said:
Also, colonial resources need to be scarce, otherwise the whole world will be claimed by 1520.

There is a way to prevent nations from attacking uncivilized nations and colonize continents up to a certain year, I know they use this for VIP where Europe cannot colonize Asia, Africa, or Ocenania until 1879.

This would be an excellent method of controlling colonization buy essentailly preventing colonies on whole contintents such as Africa and Asia. For those colonies that Portugal and others manage to plant during the 16th through 18th centuries in Africa and Asia or fought various nations there, these can be events, since one can plant a colony or even a claim through events.

Jlop985 said:
We also have to do something about factories. We need a way to make provisions for troops, but industrialization did not occur even in Britain until the 1800's. Maybe we could give certain countries arms factories that they cannot expand. Techs could trigger events that give factories. Population growth will also have to be limited. The economy must be kept in check till the end of the time period.

Can do something similar to Europa Universalis II where 'industries' were those specialize building you were allowed to build once the sufficent technology was achived that gave extra income each year, or simply not allow them at all except for a few towards the end.

Even if there are colonization bans, there needs to be a way to allow countries other than Spain and Portugal to colonize before everything is taken. The Americas, for example, should not have a colonization ban. However, England did not even manage to start a meaningful colony there until the 1600s. We also have to do something about the inability of the AI to fight for colonial claims. Some of the worst fighting in this period took place over claimed territory. I also think that the standard infantry unit size should be dropped to 1000 men/1 MP. 10,000 men would make a huge colonial army.

Though there are many things that will have to be worked out, I think this project is feasible. I say we start collecting information and getting to work.

Almost all countries in 1500 were monarchies. The exceptions were Venice, Genoa, Florence, Pisa, Switzerland, and Ragusa. These were republics (democracies in game terms). Poland is a possible constitutional monarchy. Countries that would at one time or another cease to be plain monarchies include the Netherlands, England, the USA, France, and the Latin american revolters. Therefore, coming up with parties will be relatively simple.

Last edited:
adcaqe.jpg

Just a picture to show you the progress.

Its good to hear that so many people are interested. Could factories be feasible in the time period if renamed to industries so a clothes industry could reflect a number of small scale businesses? It would definately be best if the army size could be changed to 1000. An yes everybody should have a colonial ban on africa and america (except for spain and portugal regarding america). The ban on america should be lifted in 1600 for all nations. Netherlands and russia should be able to colonize asia but i will set their preferences to indonesia and siberia respectively.

shouldn't the Netherlands go to Spain? Also, Schleisen should go to Bohemia and Hungary and Bohemia should either be in the same country or should be a satelite of either each other. Hungary should have Slovakia, but nothing in Galicia, also Lithuania should have a bit more land to the south and east, and finally Schleswig-Holstein should be part of Denmark.

We should have a set of swedish trading posts in northern Finland to ensure that Russia doesn´t grab it. I´d say that we need a desciscion on the swedo-russian border, as it ran directly through the province of Viborg. The city itself was on the swedish side, but most of the province was russian/novgorodian.

Kaiser Franz said:
shouldn't the Netherlands go to Spain? Also, Schleisen should go to Bohemia and Hungary and Bohemia should either be in the same country or should be a satelite of either each other. Hungary should have Slovakia, but nothing in Galicia, also Lithuania should have a bit more land to the south and east, and finally Schleswig-Holstein should be part of Denmark.

In 1500 the Netherlands were owned by the duke of Burgundy.

Silesia was a satellite of Bohemia and will be in game as well but Bohemia was an independant kingdom within the Holy Roman Empire.

I think hungary corresponds pretty well with the map you posted on page 1 but what province do you suggest should be removed from hungary and to whom?

I agree that southern Lithuania should extend further east.

I was thinking of making schleswig-holstein a danish satellite like in victoria but it may be better to have it under direct control?

Zuckergußgebäck said:
We should have a set of swedish trading posts in northern Finland to ensure that Russia doesn´t grab it. I´d say that we need a desciscion on the swedo-russian border, as it ran directly through the province of Viborg. The city itself was on the swedish side, but most of the province was russian/novgorodian.

I have mainly concentrated on the actual owned land up till now but trading posts should definately be added to Sweden in northern Sweden and Finland and to Denmark in northern Norway. Greenland should not have anything before Han Egede in the 1700's where denmark gets a mission there.

I don't know about Viborg. Shall we let it stay Swedish until a Russian complains ;)

The colonial ban on Africa should not be complete, as the Dutch colonized south Africa, and the British later seized it.

I have a preliminary party list for England:
Code:
country;id;name;start;end;ideology;Economic;Trade;Religious;Minority;War;Culture;Religion;Status
ENG;6900;Royal Faction;1500;1688;conservative;state_capitalism;protectionism;moralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x
ENG;6901;Nobles' Faction;1500;1688;conservative;state_capitalism;protectionism;moralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
ENG;6902;Roundheads;1642;1660;anarcho_liberal;interventionism;protectionism;moralism;residence;jingoism;all;protestant;x
ENG;6903;Cavaliers;1642;1660;reactionary;state_capitalism;protectionism;moralism;residence;jingoism;all;all;x
ENG;6904;Tory Party;1688;2000;conservative;interventionism;protectionism;moralism;residence;pro_military;all;all;x
ENG;6905;Whig Party;1688;1859;liberal;interventionism;free_trade;pluralism;limited_citizenship;anti_military;all;all;x

And also for the US
Code:
country;id;name;start;end;ideology;Economic;Trade;Religious;Minority;War;Culture;Religion;Status
USA;14100;Continental Congress;1770;1788;liberal;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
USA;14101;Federalists;1788;1816;conservative;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro-military;all;all;x
USA;14102;Democratic-Republicans;1788;1820;liberal;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x
USA;14103;Whigs;1820;1854;conservative;laissez_faire;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
USA;14104;Democrats;1820;1882;conservative;interventionism;free_trade;pluralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x

>>>Edited English parties

Last edited:
Jlop985 said:
The colonial ban on Africa should not be complete, as the Dutch colonized south Africa, and the British later seized it.

I have a preliminary party list for England:
Code:
ENG;6900;Royal Faction;1500;1688;conservative;state_capitalism;interventionism;moralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x
ENG;6901;Roundheads;1642;1660;anarcho_liberal;interventionism;protectionism;moralism;slavery;jingoism;all;protestant;x
ENG;6902;Cavaliers;1642;1660;reactionary;state_capitalism;protectionism;moralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x
ENG;6903;Tory Party;1688;2000;conservative;interventionism;protectionism;moralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
ENG;6904;Whig Party;1688;1859;liberal;interventionism;free_trade;pluralism;slavery;anti_military;all;all;x

And also for the US
Code:
USA;14100;Continental Congress;1770;1788;liberal;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
USA;14101;Federalists;1788;1816;conservative;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro-military;all;all;x
USA;14102;Democratic-Republicans;1788;1820;liberal;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x
USA;14103;Whigs;1820;1854;conservative;laissez_faire;protectionism;pluralism;slavery;pro_military;all;all;x
USA;14104;Democrats;1820;1882;conservative;interventionism;free_trade;pluralism;slavery;jingoism;all;all;x

I agree the dutch should not have a colonial ban on Africa but I will set their preference for south africa so they don't colonize all of Africa. Your parties look great!

Don't make too strict colonial bans, rather make colonies require some rather rare and expensive stuff so that there is possibility for some ahistoricality.

Anyway, how do you intend to implement factories?

Last edited:
Jlop985 said:

Not quite right - the Portuguese colonized it, the Dutch seized it and later the British.
The Portuguese colonized quite a bit in Western Africa too, which the Dutch took as well.

Maybe we could have bans for every country but Portugal?

Corvuz_Crovax said:
adcaqe.jpg

Just a picture to show you the progress.

Its good to hear that so many people are interested. Could factories be feasible in the time period if renamed to industries so a clothes industry could reflect a number of small scale businesses? It would definately be best if the army size could be changed to 1000. An yes everybody should have a colonial ban on africa and america (except for spain and portugal regarding america). The ban on america should be lifted in 1600 for all nations. Netherlands and russia should be able to colonize asia but i will set their preferences to indonesia and siberia respectively.

Cottage Industries wouldn't be a bad idea at all, they just need to be toned down some, and even that isn't nessecary as long as the usual Victoria techs that improve production do not kick in and the populations of the land are significantly lower.

Colonies can also be contolled through events.