• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Yogi said:
Yes, that too. BTW, it's almost feeling like beer time again, don't you think?

Splendid suggestion, old chum. How about next week? :)

I really like these last updates where we get to know Fu better. And I loved the ties to Holmes and Moriarity! :cool:

Excellent update, like Anon said your drawing of so many disparate elements is truly mesmerising.

BTW you have mentioned Alan Moore several times in this AAR, are you a fan or have you merely picked up synoptic elements while reserching for this golden project?

EDIT: By the by, I think you mean Dutch East Indies old bean ;)

anonymous4401 said:
Man I just love the way this AAR incorporates so many fictional and historical sources! I know I won't be able to do it nearly as well. ;_;
Thanks my friend, I was beginning to wonder if the sheer size of the last update had scared you all off... :)

cthulhu said:
Splendid suggestion, old chum. How about next week? :)

I really like these last updates where we get to know Fu better. And I loved the ties to Holmes and Moriarity! :cool:
Next week sounds cool. I'll e-mail you from work about it on Monday.

I'm heavily into Holmes right now because I'm reading through "Shadows over Baker Street". Not all the stories are any good, alas, neither as Lovecraftian or Holmesian tales. "The case of the wavy black dagger" was one of those I didn't like, it felt like an excuse to describe this almost Amona-class superwoman Sita which deflates Holmes ego with her vastly superior intellect, secondguessing all his reasoning and proving to be a superior fighter to boot. She was so annoying that I couldn't help prepare this gruesome end for her - serves her right for being a smartass! :D

Jape said:
Excellent update, like Anon said your drawing of so many disparate elements is truly mesmerising.

BTW you have mentioned Alan Moore several times in this AAR, are you a fan or have you merely picked up synoptic elements while reserching for this golden project?

EDIT: By the by, I think you mean Dutch East Indies old bean ;)

<smites forehead> Oy Vey, but I'm a schmuck! Fixed now...

To answer your question about Alan Moore, it's the latter - I haven't even read "The Leauge..." but I have no doubt I'd love it.

The Yogi said:
‘What did you do?’

‘With a silver blowgun, I shot into her left arm an arrow dripped in the paralysing poison known as curare. The dose would probably ultimately have killed her, but even in the bare instant it did have to take effect, it slightly slowed down her left hand lunge. The right hand blade cleanly pierced one of Black Naga’s hearts; but the other only wounded him. Unfortunately for Sita, her attack placed her within easy reach of Black Naga’s hundred-toothed maw, so if not immediately fatal, it was suicidal. Black Naga did not give her a second chance. Her agony, although atrocious, was not very prolonged, for which I am glad; despite her rejection, I harboured the girl no ill will. But my objective had been achieved; sorely wounded, Black Naga retreated back into his lair to heal his impaled heart, and with him went the right hand blade. The left hand one was left on the ground were I recovered it.’
Wow. You know, analyzing this post would probably more insight into the mindset of your version of Fu Manchu than the rest of the AAR combined.

Great update! Complete with a sort of mirror image of the Duhrn-Skorzeny dynamic.

Korppi said:
Great update. I really liked it.
I just wonder why Fu would tell someone things like that?
Is that Sandokan as "the Tiger of Malaysia"?
Bragging, I guess? ;)

He is Sandokan the Third, grandson of the orignial "Tiger of Mompracem", the hero of Emilio Salagari's novels. He was introduced as one of the members of the Council of Seven many posts back.

The Yogi said:
Bragging, I guess? ;)

Yes, after all, for all his greatness, Fu is just a pesky human, an unusually talented member of a race of hairless monkeys, destined to be wiped out by the Great Old Ones. :(

cthulhu said:
Yes, after all, for all his greatness, Fu is just a pesky human, an unusually talented member of a race of hairless monkeys, destined to be wiped out by the Great Old Ones. :(
Right.

I've always wondered about that; after all, we are more advanced than rhinoviruses in virtually all ways and yet the common cold has proven damnably hard to eradicate.

However, I think that the answer Yogi gives is naturally correct, with the caveat that Fu never does anything for only one reason.

In this case, it is very important that Sandokan know the Black Naga is coming, that the Black Naga cannot be killed by normal weapons such as a Japanese submachinegun, and that the Sandokan must (and hopefully can) prepare himself to fight the Black Naga using the techniques of Silat and the enchanted knife.

Since Sandokan is a fairly intelligent person whom Fu Manchu presumably respects in some small measure, it is therefore important that Fu explain why all the things in the above sentence are true. Sandokan must know that the knife is enchanted, that the Black Naga is real, that the Black Naga is a supernatural entity immune to normal weapons, and so forth.

Most of Fu's lengthy explanation involves either giving Sandokan essential information, or explaining why that essential information is true in a way that will satisfy him. This is itself an important goal, because it is vitally important that Sandokan not waste time asking stupid questions or panicking when he should be paying attention to the Black Naga.

Which is why Fu is deigning to actually answer someone's questions rather than telling him to shut up, which is much more normal behavior for him. We can observe this dynamic elsewhere: Fu does sometimes explain himself, but only to people he respects and in situations where there are reasons to do so (such as psychological warfare).

Simon_Jester said:
This is itself an important goal, because it is vitally important that Sandokan not waste time asking stupid questions or panicking when he should be paying attention to the Black Naga.

Most likely, Sandokan will go temporarily insane when BN show his ugly mug (and the last sentence could be a indicatio of that - "Sandokan’s long wail of absolute horror echoed endlessly through the jungle", in CoC RPG terms, that Sita woman must have had an awfully high POW and been lucky with her SAN roll. Fu seems to have an iron will but my guess that he's already insane (by Lovecraft standards, due to long time exposure to the mythos ad sorcery) and thus will have full use of his demented but brilliant mind.

cthulhu said:
Most likely, Sandokan will go temporarily insane when BN show his ugly mug (and the last sentence could be a indicatio of that - "Sandokan’s long wail of absolute horror echoed endlessly through the jungle", in CoC RPG terms, that Sita woman must have had an awfully high POW and been lucky with her SAN roll. Fu seems to have an iron will but my guess that he's already insane (by Lovecraft standards, due to long time exposure to the mythos ad sorcery) and thus will have full use of his demented but brilliant mind.
Just because it is absolutely essential that Sandokan not lose his nerve doesn't mean that he won't.

Simon_Jester said:
Just because it is absolutely essential that Sandokan not lose his nerve doesn't mean that he won't.

Sure...and I fully agree, which should be pretty obvious by my post...so your point in postig this is? :confused:

He's too busy being awesome!