• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update!

Yogi:
A question: Why is Indy still fighting the Germans since they are official allies? I realize that Dr. Jones' professional area would bring him into conflict with Jerry anyway, but if he's worried about turning the tide in America why doesn't he spend more time with the Fu Manchu group?

Indy's fighting Duhrn, not Nazi Germany as a whole. Since Indy knows very well that Duhrn is a power-mad sorceror who's fooling around with That Which Must Not Be Known, this is understandable.

Moreover, Indy just completed a huge mission that inflicted a devastating blow against Fu Manchu- the kidnapping/rescue of the Empress Nagato and her young children.

Exactly. Indy's not fighting the Germans, he's fighting Duhrn who managed to drag the Germans along with him, thus making them fair game in his plan.

Are Duhrn's missions not sanctioned or backed by the Reich? I thought he was doing sort of official research in addition to plotting treason.

Simon, I don't think the potential blow from the Imperial rescue has landed yet in an update. I forgot how recent that event was in the story.

Well Indy has his priorities and his loyalties so I'll try not to criticize.

Dinglehoff said:
Are Duhrn's missions not sanctioned or backed by the Reich? I thought he was doing sort of official research in addition to plotting treason.

Simon, I don't think the potential blow from the Imperial rescue has landed yet in an update. I forgot how recent that event was in the story.

Well Indy has his priorities and his loyalties so I'll try not to criticize.
Germany and America are erstwhile allies for now but have conflicting geopolitical interests. Once Pan-Asia has been dealt with (if it's dealt with, that is! :eek: ) expect relations to cool. Besides, it's in everyone's interests, not to mention the balance of power, to keep Duhrn from achieving whatever his mad goals might be.

Dinglehoff said:
They are backed by the Reich, but the Reich does not fully grasp the potential significance of what he's doing or the amount of ambition and lust for power that motivates his work. He's a long-term danger to the survival and well-being of Germany, even if the Germans don't know that yet.

[/quote]Simon, I don't think the potential blow from the Imperial rescue has landed yet in an update. I forgot how recent that event was in the story.[/quote]It's a huge blow to Fu's plans. Fu was planning to kill off the existing family of Emperor Hirohito and marry off his daughter, Fah Lo Suee, to him. This would place his 'dynasty' on the Japanese throne in the next generation, after Hirohito dies (probably with a little help from Fu Manchu once the heirs are born).

Indy rescued the Imperial family from Fu Manchu's assassination attempt, which means that there is still a living heir to the Japanese throne, which totally defeats Fu's plan. Even if Fu does not know that Hirohito's family is still alive, his plan will never work because Hirohito's family had to die for the plan to succeed.

Therefore, Indy has just done something big to hurt Fu Manchu. In essence, he has given the good guys a weapon in reserve. Now that they have Hirohito's family in a secure location, they can bring forth the real heir to the throne whenever Fu Manchu tries to set his own plan in action.

You're right of course, but all I'm trying to say with the assassination plot is that it hasn't played out yet. Fu could come up with some alternate plan or minimize the damage done. He could make another attempt on the princess if he finds out they are alive.

Dinglehoff said:
You're right of course, but all I'm trying to say with the assassination plot is that it hasn't played out yet. Fu could come up with some alternate plan or minimize the damage done.
At hte moment, his best bet is to do nothing until he can find a way to assassinate them; they're only a threat if MI6 can prove that he made the train attack (difficult if not impossible) or if he takes some action on the assumption that they are dead.

The really important question, of course, is whether or not he thinks they are dead. The nature of their escape was such that he might not.

cthulhu said:
Enough chit chat. Update! :)

Sorry guys, no can do for the moment. Being swamped with work! Soon though, real soon.

Simon_Jester said:
We already have satisfactory quality, as demonstrated by the award.

What we don't have is satisfactory quantity.

Of course, the higher the quality the higher the amount of quantity required to satisfy, so this may be a losing game for Yogi, sort of like working harder in a Soviet factory.
Slave driver! I have been updating mostly every two or three days! When will it be enough!? What will it take to satisfy you, woman? Eh... I mean Simon_Jester! :)

Le Ran said:
As a side note, I naively thought that real life was the primary source of literary inspiration - so that asking too much from the Yogi and depriving him of the right to have a life besides this AAR would eventually, in the end, hinder his hability to produce top quality material.

But now I realize how mistaken I was. Forced labor all the way ! :cool:
Now I really don't like were this is going... Soviet factories and forced labour... <shudders>

Dr. Gonzo said:
If I recall, German uniforms NEVER quite fit Indy- in Raiders for example when he nicks the uniform in the sub pen, he gets repremanded by an officer because he can't button up properly, although he sorts that out quick sharpish ;)
Quite right. As mentioned before, Indy is of pretty standard size, a bit on the largish side but so are most Germans and there's a hight requirement for joining the SS, IIRC.

Dinglehof, Simon_Jester, Lyon_Man, VI_Lenin: On the enemity of Indy against Nazi Germany: Thanks for an intersting exchange of POVs, gentlemen, I love it when the AAR sparks this kind of debate. I think you guys got it about right. I might only add that Indy is as set in his ways as most people. He still "hates those guys", ie regard them as evil even if at the moment they're the only ones helping America out. He propbably wouldn't mess with their war effort right now, but he most certainly will not allow the Ahenenerbe, and most especially not Günther Duhrn bring home any artifacts of historical or magical value. Those things belong in a museum, or at least not in the hands of the Führer.

cthulhu said:
Enough chit chat. Update! :)
I have obeyed your call, Master! Doth my work please thee, Oh Great Old One? Will you teach me new ways to shout and revel and kill now?

Last edited:
The Nameless City
Somewhere in the Rub Al Khali

Tuesday, June 18th, 1940

namelesscity2.jpg

At the bottom of a valley, dry and desolate even for being at the edge of the deep Arabian Desert, lies the City Without Name, seen by no living man. But today, living men in some numbers milled about among its desolation. The uniformed and heavily armed men of Sonderkommando Hexen quickly searched through the area without finding any trace of life. The search was not hard; not a single structure remained intact. What survived of its once cyclopean walls jutted up like the broken teeth of a corpse buried in the sand of the Rub Al Khali and it was rare to see them reach higher than the waist of a man.

Dr Henry “Indiana” Jones quickly realised what place it was he had reached secreted into Duhrn’s expedition. He too had heard the stories the desert tribes whisper around the campfires in abject and ignorant fear, and had no trouble matching those stories to the reality around him. Patrolling the streets in keeping with his role as Sonderkommando Hexen brawn, he found something deeply unwholesome about the geometry of the place as his squad walked quickly through it, on the lookout for threats. The way houses and streets were laid out seemed unnatural, atypical of any known civilisation and fundamentally wrong in some manner he had a hard time defining. Trying to picture the place intact in his mind gave him both chills, which was an accomplishment given the 50 degrees centigrade outside temperature, and a slight headache. It would have been majestic and monstrous, a place of unimaginable alien splendour.

As for the man who had found what was never supposed to be found, he quickly changed mood from elation to exasperation. There was nowhere any inscriptions to be deciphered, nowhere any obvious cache of forbidden and forgotten lore. The merciless process of erosion had not spared the Nameless City and the blistering sand storms had through countless millennia etched away any trace of inscriptions that might once have been on the outside.

‘Search for entrances!’ Duhrn ordered, waving his hand in irritation. ‘Quickly now, we haven’t got all day!’

Perhaps because of the vastness of the ruins, it wasn’t until late in the afternoon when Indy’s squad stumbled over a place where the reddish bedrock rose out of the sand to form a low cliff, and it the side of that cliff, much like he had seen in the Valley of the Crescent Moon in Syria and also in Petra in the Sinai, the facades of temples had been cut out of the stone. For the first time, these bas-reliefs, for they were more that than true buildings, gave an idea what the intact buildings of the Nameless City would have looked like, for they were undoubtedly cut in their likeness. These facsimile buildings had openings, low and squat, which opened into caves in the cliff. Here perhaps, might still be found any inscriptions not effaced like those unprotected from the sand storms of Arabia.

‘I’ll go tell the Sturmbannführer!’ the squad leader announced to his men. ‘You stay here!’

Thus left leaderless, the squad members loitered about at the caves, and inevitably when young men are left alone with mystery, curiosity took over. Indy was not first into any cave, preferring not to draw attention to himself, but once one cave had been entered he could no longer restrain himself. While the other men of the squad were excavating the various sand-clogged entrances like giant moles, Indy set course for a façade grander and further away than the others, hoping to gain some invaluable time alone.

He crawled through the opening, because it was so low that he could not walk even though it for some reason was not at all clogged with drifting sands as the others had been. He entered a vast cavern which vas nevertheless hardly natural. In the light of Indy’s electric torch, the roof appeared to even by far for that. Indy wondered how large the cavern had originally been. It’s even proportions suggested that it had once been much, much smaller and that only prodigious feats of engineering could had cleared away such masses of rock, which on the other hand was hard to accept given the obvious extreme antiquity of the ruins. To judge from the degree of erosion and the fact that The Nameless City was never once mentioned in any written records of Sumeria, Egypt or later civilisations other than the infamous Necronomicon, they must have been much as they were now already when the mud bricks that would build Jericho were still baking in the sun.

Indy’s explorations did not last long before he found curiously shaped and very low stone altars, carven pillars that he assumed to have some symbolic meaning, as they were clearly not holding up the roof, niches cut into the rock walls, and most interesting of all, chiselled decorations, carvings in intricate patterns that were possibly inscriptions. There were also traces of sinuously drawn lines of paint that might have been mere arabesques or possibly writing. Indy kneeled in front of an altar and produced his stuffed notebook, which he never travelled without. Slowly, painstakingly he checked the assumed writing against other rare inscriptions he had found in his years of exploration. He was not surprised when he found no match, but not a little discomforted when he some similarities became apparent with the writing he and Falken deciphered in the frozen ruins of Antarctica. It was clearly not the same writing, but there was an unmistakeable influence. Perhaps this city had been contemporary with that one? And then, what manner of beings had built it, in that incredibly remote age?

‘Fascinating characters. What do you make of them?’ Günther Duhrn asked, suddenly standing right behind Indy.

Still too engrossed in his study of the carvings to notice the question had been posed in English, Indy didn’t even look up from his notes and answered in the same language.

‘It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen!’ he answered, bubbling over with excitement. ‘I doubt it was even written by human beings; these inscriptions here look at first sight somewhat like what you could expect to find in some late Neolithic Chinese cultures but…’ Too late Indy realised who he was talking too, and in what manner of speech he was doing it. He clamped his mouth shut, and in the resulting sudden silence, the telltale click of a Luger being cocked was only too clearly audible.

‘So nice to meet you, Dr Jones! It has been too long since last time. Hände Hoch! And don’t bother to rise – I like you like that, on your knees. It will save us both time and effort if you just stay as you are, please.’

Silently cursing himself for letting his guard down, here of all places, at this time of all times, Indy obediently placed his hands on his neck. He looked longingly for the MP-38 Schmeisser lying on the ground beside him, so close and yet so far away it could just as well have been on the moon.

‘Well, well, well, if it isn’t Sturmbannführer Gunther Dührn… I could have lived a perfectly full live without ever having to see you again. Murdered many innocents lately?’

‘No one is innocent.’ Duhrn retorted. ‘You least of all. Your death will not weigh overly on my conscience, such as it is. I think I’ll just put you out of your misery here and now with a Parabellum to the cerebellum… hehehe. That was a joke, Dr Jones. Why aren’t you laughing?’

Slowly, slowly, in order not to startle Duhrn into any rash actions, Indy turned, still on his knees and faced his captor. He managed a giggle, and a smile chemically pure from any humour.

‘That IS funny, Duhrn. Funny because you’re not going to shoot me just like that.’

‘You think I don’t have the stomach for it? Think again, Dr Jones. I could shoot you like a mad dog and not even blink.’

‘I’m sure, you have the mad dog act pat down. No, I meant that you can’t restrain your lust to kill me in some more elaborate and painful way. A bullet to the brain… surely you cannot settle for anything so prosaic and painless?’

Duhrn looked thoughtful. ‘Hmmm… I know you’re trying to trick me, to gain time for a heroic escape act, Dr Jones… you think you can outsmart me, don’t you? Well, Günther Duhrn has never been one to shy away from a challenge! And actually, there has been something I’ve been paining to try even since I got here; I’m sure you know of the practice of impalement and how it originated close to here, in Persia? I think I'll subject you to a special form in which the victim is made to stand over a sharpened stake driven into the ground, just long enough to penetrate deeply into his rectum… He won’t be able to remove himself, but as long as he can remain standing, he won’t die. Of course, no one can stand for ever. A strong man like you could last for days, I guess, but in the end…’

It probably wouldn’t have worked in any other place or time, but in this unexplored ruin of inhuman antiquity and infamous mystery, when Indy ignored the details of the savage torture awaiting him and instead looked past Duhrn with a face drawn into a masque of absolute horror, the Nazi warlock could not help falling for the oldest trick in the book.

As the German’s head began to turn, Indy jumped at his knees and dropped him. Both men tumbled about on the floor, struggling for the Luger which Duhrn held in a death grip. Suddenly Indy saw an opening and smashed his forehead into Duhrn’s face. The German managed to twist his head so that his nose wasn’t crushed but he was still knocked senseless as the back of his head hit the hard stone floor.

Hardly had Indy disentangled himself from his unconscious adversary before shouts of alarm from the entrance announced that Duhrn’s men were entering the temple. Indy hesitated for an instant between settling for picking up Duhrn’s Luger or diving for his SMG. A hail of automatic fire smashing into the altar next to him helped him make up his mind and reduce his ambitions. Clutching the automatic pistol he bolted towards the dark depths of the temple. He hoped there would be some other exit there, because clearly, the way he had come through was now closed.​

Last edited:
Stupid villains, they ALWAYS talk too much. :rolleyes:

The Yogi said:
It probably wouldn’t have worked in any other place or time, but in this unexplored ruin of inhuman antiquity and infamous mystery, when Indy ignored the details of the savage torture awaiting him and instead looked past Duhrn with a face drawn into a masque of absolute horror, the Nazi warlock could not help falling for the oldest trick in the book.

:rofl:
This is SO good!
Keep it up Yogi

Answer to comments from last update are finally up. My family has come down with a bad case of the Jade Fever again, and this morning it had really eaten up my will to live. Damn, I wish I had that antidote Jonas Salk produced!

Anyway, I'll probably wont have the strength to do any updates today, even if I am on sick-leave, and when I do, I'm running late with my tax return, which is complicated this year because I sold my shares to buy a house... oh God, I feel the depression coming on again! :D

seboden said:
Might those characters also be similar to those found near Attila's tomb? (Was there even any writing or only these horrible creatures? :confused: , I can't remember for sure.)
Anyway, excellent update as usual, thanks. :)
I'm not sure, I don't think Indy ever saw any writing back then, it was pretty dark.

VILenin said:
Stupid villains, they ALWAYS talk too much. :rolleyes:
Yep, it's on the list of required traits for villain positions.

Brad1 said:
I just caught up reading this series from the beginning. I forgot how good an author you were Yogi! You now have one new obsessive reader.
Thank you very much and welcome on board Brad1! What did you read before, WTICG?

Iron-Chef said:
I have never read any of this AAR but I just read the words Doctor Jones somewhere in that last post and OH MY GOD time to go read from the start :D
Ah, a Jones fan? Head down to the first post of Master Plan of Fu Manchu, the link is in my sig. Jones appears in the second post, IIRC.

Deus said:
Oh dread. We can only imagine what horrar await the ever adventurous dr. Jones deep within the temple.

As for Duhrn, I hope his eye will be as black as the night. :D
Black enough to go with his soul, oh yes...

The_Carbonater said:
:rofl:
This is SO good!
Keep it up Yogi
Glad you liked it, I was quite pleased my self!