• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent as always, Yogi.

When I said "evil" before perhaps I should have said the greater "threat" since Pan-Asia in my mind has a better chance at achieving world domination than Hitler's Germany. Where as Hitler is an insane evil Fu is more of the brilliant evil. You decide which is worse or more dangerous.

Simon-Jester; my concern for Zhukov is more emotional rather than logical, I just hate to see the - well not "good" guys but maybe potential foes of Fu Manchu - shooting themselves in the foot. Or, in this case, in the General Staff. I like your idea about using the Shadow for counter-intelligence but he appears to be busy at the moment.

lifeless said:
:rofl: rommel gets the last word with patton!
Only because he's right. This is still spring 1940. Most of the Panzer divisions would still be outfitted with various marks of the Panzer II and would not be very well suited to fighting in line against the Japanese Type 97s. Patton's M2A4s are armed with 37mm guns better than or equivalent to the guns on Rommel's best Panzers.

VILenin said:
Aaah! The agonizing irony of Churchill being hypnotically forced to betray his country is almost to much. Once again I curse stupid hypnosis! :mad: At the very least we need to get some hypnotists of our own.
Of course, Churchill actually does have a point. If the British fought the Pan-Asians, especially with Yogi/Fu Manchu leading them, the Pan-Asians would almost certainly conquer most of the British Empire in the East.

lifeless said:
whew! now its just a matter of getting them to Suee..
Just keeping them under heavy guard in Japan might well be enough.

VILenin said:
When I said "evil" before perhaps I should have said the greater "threat" since Pan-Asia in my mind has a better chance at achieving world domination than Hitler's Germany. Where as Hitler is an insane evil Fu is more of the brilliant evil. You decide which is worse or more dangerous.
Now that I think about it, if Indy can figure out any way to prove who planted the bomb, it might cause a split in Pan-Asia, which would both cripple Fu Manchu domestically and bring the invasion of America to a screeching halt.

Right, I ended up not answering your comments before the last post, and that is a shameful thing; I’m sometimes pressed for time to get my update in, and hold of answering comments and forget about it. Well, now I’m making up for it, by answering each and one of all your comments. You deserve no less, and without your continued support this story would be long abandoned and over.

Most especially, I’d like to apologise to our new reader Simon Jester. With your three only posts on this board you have commented my AAR without receiving any answer, but now you shall have them! Welcome onboard!

Darks63 said:
Well fu wants to be the single emperor of the pan asian empire it seems.
So it does, and it seems he’ll be wearing Imperial Red soon enough!

Darks63 said:
Apparently Siwan khan never read the art of war, u never give the enemy nothing to lose.
Siwan is more a follower of the precepts of Genghis Khan.

lifeless said:
whew! now its just a matter of getting them to Suee..
But of course, Fah Lo Suee had planned for that too-

lifeless said:
seems like partisan levels are high!
That they are.

Lyon_Man said:
Too bad for Major Ishikawa, but that's what you get for getting in Indiana Jone's way!
Yep, no uniformed goon ever had a chance against the Man with the Whip!

Le Ran said:
I'll say a banality, but, most excellent update as usual !

Like for example his fascist alter-ego in Asia, Giuseppe Tucci ?

Yogi, if you like, feel free to borrow that idea from me, since I felt free to borrow uh... lots of stuff from you
That is interesting. I considered using him for my commercial project. We’ll see about that.

Le Ran said:
This AAR keeps surprising me with its everlasting quality and renewed interest ! And indeed, the Shadow is a nice asset to the cause of the Free World...

Although personnaly I tend to prefer Will Eisner's Spirit, but he would hardly fit into a non-comedy AAR...
Thanks, and I like The Spirit too.

cthulhu said:
An action packed updated. Wohoooo! Too bad about the Major, but it couldn't have played out any other way.

Now let's see how the nefarious devil Doctor reacts to this!
Open holes in the ground and fistfights, as you say, can only end one way. Fu will not be amused.

cthulhu said:
Damn straight! :D I hope we get to see the U.S. turn the tide before it's too late...the situation is starting to look VERY bad...
Amen to that.

Simon_Jester said:
Fu Manchu and Fah Lo Suee's hypnosis does present one heck of a counterintelligence problem.

If the Shadow could be pulled loose from his covert operations on the American Front, he might be the ideal guy to crack the problem. He is, after all, the only confirmed psychic the good guys have access to.

I'm not sure this represents much of a deviation from Stalin's historical attitude towards Zhukov.

Remember, in this timeline (if I remember rightly), the battle of Nomonhan never happened. So Zhukov hasn't had a chance to establish himself as the USSR's master general. Stalin appears to be probing him, placing both his talent and his political ability on trial. If Zhukov can pull off the Winter War successfully, then he'll be in much the same position that he was in after Nomonhan in our timeline. Stalin will know that he can win battles, and that he's reliable.

On a more general note, I would just like to say that I've been following the 'Fu Manchu' AARs for over a year and I've been hooked the whole time. This is my first post, so I'd like to take the time to thank The Yogi for producing a truly excellent AAR.
And thank YOU for reading and offering these insightful and interesting comments! Welcome on board and sorry again for not answering before. I’m very pressed for time these days, which is not an excuse but as close to one as I can get.

You're quite right about Khalkin Ghol not happening in this reality, so Zhukov still has a lot to prove.

Simon_Jester said:
Realistically, what the Yogi is describing would start having major negative effects on the Pan-Asian war effort eventually; I expect that he's figured out a way to model that with events or something.

In real-world terms, the Pan-Asians can't kill everyone in the Western United States; millions of people are inevitably slipping out of their grasp. A large percentage of the men in this group are likely to either become partisans or enlist in the US armed forces once they reach friendly lines. It's not clear that they'd be better off trying to occupy these areas instead, but they're probably going to regret the depopulations and massacres in the long run.

Keeping the necessary military manpower supplied across the Pacific is going to be nightmare; especiialy since Pan-Asia's merchant marine is effectively whatever the Japanese had before the unification, plus a little.
Like you say, they can’t kill everyone, indeed, they’re not aiming to. What they want is to create a massive wave of refugees into unoccupied America, thereby straining US logistics, clog communications, block the roads etc etc and they’re succeeding splendidly with that. But thousands will choose to stay behind, after loosing or sending off their families to safety; and these people will be free of any ties and with nothing to loose save their lives – a terrible position to have an enemy in.

Simon_Jester said:
Only because he's right. This is still spring 1940. Most of the Panzer divisions would still be outfitted with various marks of the Panzer II and would not be very well suited to fighting in line against the Japanese Type 97s. Patton's M2A4s are armed with 37mm guns better than or equivalent to the guns on Rommel's best Panzers.

Of course, Churchill actually does have a point. If the British fought the Pan-Asians, especially with Yogi/Fu Manchu leading them, the Pan-Asians would almost certainly conquer most of the British Empire in the East.

Just keeping them under heavy guard in Japan might well be enough.

Now that I think about it, if Indy can figure out any way to prove who planted the bomb, it might cause a split in Pan-Asia, which would both cripple Fu Manchu domestically and bring the invasion of America to a screeching halt.
And you’re an armour buff too! :) Patton prolly came to the same conclusion as you, although Rommel did get the best Panzers left over from the Battle of France, some 250 Panzer III Ausf F with 37mm guns and 50 Pz-IV Ausf D’s with short 75mm guns. The new Panzer IIIG and H with 50mm guns are all going to the future Eastern Front. More about that later.

Fiftypence said:
Great story, as always Yogi. The Shadow certainly has a tough job on his hands.
Thanks! And that he has! Nonetheless, Siwan Khan should be afraid, very afraid…

boehm said:
I ditto that ...I just fear that as long as Yogi is playing the baddies there wont be much chance of them being turned back ...(unless he has some REALLY nasty costum events setup to hit him - *hoping*
My lips are sealed… ;)

elbasto said:
I believe the US player (presumably AI) will be facing some favorable modifiers added by events?
Not necessarily. Partisan levels are quite high as it is.

Graymane said:
Nice to see this still going after all these years =)
The Yogi might die one day, but his AAR will march on! Eh… well, perhaps not. :D But thanks!

GeneralHannibal said:
Looks like Pan-Asia will have some real problems, especially once people realize what's happening and decide to never surrender. Still though, things don't look very good for the US, unless the receive many units very soon.
It’s a race between US production capacity and Pan-Asian transport capacity; but Pan-Asia has a very great head start. We’ll see if it’s enough.

VILenin said:
Excellent as always, Yogi.

Thanks for that, VI Lenin! Fu is a thousand times more dangerous than Hitler ever was, but his regime is less evil by far; Fu just wants to rule the world, and has no genocidal designs (except as a means to an end, perhaps). In short, to me Hitler is the greater Evil by far, but Fu the greater danger.

And now, the story continues!

Singapore
British Empire
Saturday May 25th, 1940
singaporenavalbase.jpg
Illuminated by a waning and gibbous moon, the froth on the breaking waves shone in the darkness like rows of jagged teeth before crashing into the breakers outside of Singapore harbour. Inside the port, the Eastern Fleet of the Royal Navy including the battleships Prince of Wales and Nelson and the battlecruiser Repulse lay moored. Their commander, Admiral of the Eastern Fleet Sir Tom Philips would probably not had slept very well that night if he had been witness to how the black surface of the pounding sea was broken by an angular metallic structure; the conning tower of a submarine. But the Admiral had no idea, and slept soundly in his bunk.​
At the top of the tower, the hatch popped and a serious-faced japanese, an officer of the Pan-Asian Imperial Navy climbed out with a pair of binoculars, to peer across the tumultuous sea towards the light of the distant city. After a few minutes, he turned towards the open hatch and grunted unintelligibly; immediately, there were sounds of several more people climbing up on the metallic ladder leading into the bowels of the Pan-Asian submarine.​
Once up beside the submarine captain, Doctor Henry “Indiana” Jones inhaled the fresh sea air voraciously; just a few days inside the Japanese-built sub had been enough to give him an incipient claustrophobia.​
‘Honoured Dr Jones, we have arrived at Singapore!’ the Captain said formally in Japanese. ‘My men will be preparing your raft within moments.’​
‘Thank you, honoured Captain!’ Jones replied in the same language. ‘It has been a joy to travel with you and your fine crew!’​
The captain smiled broadly. ‘Lier! But you are most gracious. Our stinking tub is unworthy of this great honour that has been bestowed upon it. Long shall we remember and be proud of having been the ones to carry Her Imperial Majesty and the Imperial heirs to safety!’​
Indy still hadn’t forgot his initial fright when instead of the promised “boat”, a Pan-Asian Navy submarine had surfaced in the Fuji river, as he and the Empress had swum downstream from the blown bridge. But it had turned out that Fah Lo Suee had not deceived him; indeed, the sub had been the promised rescue boat, it’s captain and crew diehard Japanese loyalists, fierce in their allegiance to the Emperor, but somehow convinced by Fah Lo Suee of the fact that their Emperor wasn’t his own master. Captain Yamaguchi and his men would have died a thousand deaths, and laughing, to free their Emperor and their home country from the clutches of Fu Manchu. For the moment, they had had to settle for saving the Empress and her sons.​
As if conjured up by the mentioning of her, Empress Nagako, dressed for anonymity in a sober European dress, hat and coat, appeared on the bridge, and the Captain bowed so deeply he seemed to double over.​
‘Imperial Highness! I am honoured to inform you that we have arrived!’​
‘My sons and I thank you for your bravery, honoured Captain!’ she replied. ‘Once we’re rid of the enemies of the Emperor, who even now hold him in ignominious captivity, we shall not forget those who remained loyal to him in his darkest hour! By deeds and men such as you, Japan will still be restored to her former glory!’​
‘Imperial Highness!’ was all that the Captain was able to reply, his voice choking with emotion.​
While Indy observed the exchange, Professor Falken, who had already been onboard the submarine when Indy arried with the Empress and her sons, and the young Princes climbed up too, joking and laughing. For some mysterious reason of personal chemistry, the boys had taken an instant liking to the white-haired archaeologist, and now exchanged constant pranks, banter and jokes with him. For the whole trip, they had accepted before sleeping only Falken’s lectures on classical history, poorly disguised as bedtime stories rather than more conventional fairy tales. Perhaps it was because he and Indy were the only ones on the boat who treated them as children, and Indy had killed their beloved bodyguard, Major Ishikawa, and pulled a gun on their mother. Children had a hard time forgiving such slight faux passes.​
‘Now what?’ the Empress wondered as she stood beside Indy, looking towards the lights of Singapore. ‘We row into Singapore harbour and proclaim our existence?’​
‘No on the second account, Highness. I’ve decided we’d better not inform anyone that you’re alive just yet, not even my superiors. One can never bee too certain about moles and double agents.’​
‘That’s probably wise.’​
‘You’ll be Mrs Cheng,’ Indy continued. ‘I know people at the Secret Service offices here who’ll be able to provide you with a Hong-Kong passport, no questions asked, before we catch the next Imperial Airways flight back to London. Then, and only then is it time to let the British know who they have on their hands; otherwise there’s a real risk they’d decide to quietly return you to Fu Manchu, given how reluctant they seem to fight Pan-Asia, and we can’t have that, can we, your Highness?’​
‘Certainly not, Dr Jones!’ Nagako said, smiling sadly. ‘Not in any way or fashion.’ She looked thoughtful for a few seconds before continuing. ‘Besides, Fu Manchu has been too busy with preparing his ascension ceremony to the Dragon Throne to level any accusations; the “investigation” around the circumstances of our deaths is not due deliver it’s conclusion yet. I’d say that in a week or two, after the coronation and the funeral, there will be an official communiqué blaming the United States or Britain for our murder; then, it will be the time for us to step forward, to expose Fu’s lies to the people of Japan and let them know what kind of monster now rules them and enthrals their Emperor!’​
‘That’s the spirit, your Highness! Of course, when that happens, Fu Manchu will have no other choice than claim Britain has abducted you and declare war. And frankly, that sounds fine to me; America could use a little help right about now!’​

Last edited:
The Yogi said:
Most especially, I’d like to apologise to our new reader Simon Jester. With your three only posts on this board you have commented my AAR without receiving any answer, but now you shall have them! Welcome onboard!
There is no need for any such apology. I am far less busy than you, and I have frequently ignored similar things for similar spans of time.

And you’re an armour buff too! :) Patton prolly came to the same conclusion as you, although Rommel did get the best Panzers left over from the Battle of France, some 250 Panzer III Ausf F with 37mm guns and 50 Pz-IV Ausf D’s with short 75mm guns.
Ah, but the M2A4's 37mm M5 gun was* superior to the Panzer III-F's 37mm L/45 gun, at least as an armorbuster.

* I looked up the guns at LemaireSoft; then I googled their names for armor penetration statistics. At a range of 457 meters, the US 37mm M5 could pierce 33 mm of armor with standard AP rounds and 63 mm of armor with APC rounds, assuming a hit perpendicular to the armor.
German 37mm KwK L/45 could pierce somewhere 48 mm of armor at 500 meters, firing their own APC rounds, assuming a hit perpendicular to the armor.

So if the US Army has gotten around to developing Armor Piercing Cap rounds for its tank guns (which I gather was a prewar invention historically), then the M2s will be better at tankbusting than the Panzer IIIs, at least in terms of hardware. However, Rommel's crews would be far superior to Patton's in terms of experience and doctrine, which makes them a better choice for the flank attack while Patton's higher-velocity guns allow him to trade fire with the Pan-Asian armor at longer ranges from prepared positions.

Thanks to the power of the Internet, I was actually able to look all that up in about ten or fifteen minutes, and a good thing too.

Thanks for that, VI Lenin! Fu is a thousand times more dangerous than Hitler ever was, but his regime is less evil by far; Fu just wants to rule the world, and has no genocidal designs (except as a means to an end, perhaps). In short, to me Hitler is the greater Evil by far, but Fu the greater danger.
I don't know... I mean, Stalin didn't have any genocidal designs (except as a means to an end, perhaps), and he just about tied Hitler on the 'evil' score.

The Yogi said:
While Indy observed the exchange, Professor Falken, who had already been onboard the submarine when Indy arried with the Empress and her sons, and the young Princes climbed up too, joking and laughing. For some mysterious reason of personal chemistry, the boys had taken an instant liking to the white-haired archaeologist, and now exchanged constant pranks, banter and jokes with him.
Aww... maybe the future Akihito will develop an interest in archaeology, to parallel his father's interest in marine biology?

‘Besides, Fu Manchu has been too busy with preparing his ascension ceremony to the Dragon Throne to level any accusations; the “investigation” around the circumstances of our deaths is not due deliver it’s conclusion yet. I’d say that in a week or two, after the coronation and the funeral, there will be an official communiqué blaming the United States or Britain for our murder; then, it will be the time for us to step forward, to expose Fu’s lies to the people of Japan and let them know what kind of monster now rules them and enthrals their Emperor!’

‘That’s the spirit, your Highness! Of course, when that happens, Fu Manchu will have no other choice than claim Britain has abducted you and declare war. And frankly, that sounds fine to me; America could use a little help right about now!’

Simon_Jester said:
Can I call 'em or can I call 'em?

Now, granted, it isn't Indy who figured this out, but the strategic implications are the same.

Simon_Jester said:
Ah, but the M2A4's 37mm M5 gun was* superior to the Panzer III-F's 37mm L/45 gun, at least as an armorbuster.

* I looked up the guns at LemaireSoft; then I googled their names for armor penetration statistics. At a range of 457 meters, the US 37mm M5 could pierce 33 mm of armor with standard AP rounds and 63 mm of armor with APC rounds, assuming a hit perpendicular to the armor.
German 37mm KwK L/45 could pierce somewhere 48 mm of armor at 500 meters, firing their own APC rounds, assuming a hit perpendicular to the armor.

So if the US Army has gotten around to developing Armor Piercing Cap rounds for its tank guns (which I gather was a prewar invention historically), then the M2s will be better at tankbusting than the Panzer IIIs, at least in terms of hardware. However, Rommel's crews would be far superior to Patton's in terms of experience and doctrine, which makes them a better choice for the flank attack while Patton's higher-velocity guns allow him to trade fire with the Pan-Asian armor at longer ranges from prepared positions.

Actually, I was aware of all of this. I research my posts, you know ;) This is why Rommel concedes to Patton that the M2 has a little better guns than his Panzers. I just wanted to point out that the Eagle Legion Panzer division is equipped with Panzer IIIs and IVs, not Panzer IIs, as one could reasonably have suspected from the time (spring 1940).

Your point about Rommels men being vastly more experienced is also spot on, which is why Patton grudgingly concedes the argument about who is to make the battle-winning maneouvre and who is going to stand the ground.

BTW, In case it amuses someone to know it, any mention of the day of the week or the phases of the moon (except in the Dreamland) are also accurate for the historical date and place - I check those up with online software.

The Yogi said:
BTW, In case it amuses someone to know it, any mention of the day of the week or the phases of the moon (except in the Dreamland) are also accurate for the historical date and place - I check those up with online software.
No kidding ? :eek:

That's the kind of details that make the difference between your excellently excellent AAR and all the others merely excellent AARs! :cool:

EDIT :
The Yogi said:
"...for my commercial project"
Uh... what's that ? A commercial project ? Did I miss something ?

Last edited:
Le Ran said:
EDIT : Uh... what's that ? A commercial project ? Did I miss something ?

The Nitpick Club, a private formum for writers!

For now, I have an alt-hist/steampunk project going on there, while Jape has a college/black humour short story and Byraxis has a Roman alt-hist project. Things have been pretty quiet there for a while though.

Feel free to register with your Paradox user name and I'll approve your membership on the spot.

Last edited:
The end is nigh - but so is a new beginning!

For some time, I've been considering finding a suitable point to wrap this story up. The time has now been chosen;

"Empire of Fu Manchu" will end on December 31st, 1940.

After that, the scenario will be ported to HOI2: Doomsday and start afresh as the third and final installment of the trilogy;

Twillight of Fu Manchu

I hope you will still be there to enjoy the end!

I will actually look foward to catching your new offering from the beginning.

Twillight of Fu Manchu, eh? Of course we'll continue to follow the saga of the nefarious Devil Doctor to the end. :)

After that, the scenario will be ported to HOI2: Doomsday and start afresh as the third and final installment of the trilogy;
Great! Not that I think that if you switch to playing the USA you'll need the extra time DD gives to defeat the Evil forces...

Sure, I perhaps don't react that much, but I'll certainly follow and enjoy it!

The Yogi said:
For some time, I've been considering finding a suitable point to wrap this story up. The time has now been chosen;

"Empire of Fu Manchu" will end on December 31st, 1940.

Twillight of Fu Manchu

Of course it would be a good time for Yogi to switch sides too ;)

ooo we'll be waiting! of course theres still 7 more months til 12-30-41 so there'll still be plenty of updates before then!

The Yogi said:
Actually, I was aware of all of this. I research my posts, you know ;)
I assumed you did. In general, I use "the Yogi is not talking through his hat" as my working assumption. Every time I've been in a position to evaluate the quality of your background knowledge, I've been greatly impressed by it.

However, nobody else sees your research, so I can't use your research to justify my statements. I was writing with the intention that others who hadn't done the research would be able to check what I was saying. This was because I don't like to talk through my hat, and people on this board have no reason to assume that I'm not making stuff up. I have effectively no reputation here.

Also, before I looked up the statistics, I didn't actually know that the M2's 37mm could break more armor than the Panzer III's 37mm. If you like, consider it an expression of the scientist-in-training's urge to publish.

I later had a horrifying realization:

"Twilight of Fu Manchu" obviously appears to mean that the sun is setting on Fu Manchu. However, that isn't necessarily so. It could mean that Fu Manchu is creating the twilight, and that it is therefore 'his' twilight...

Eep! :eek:

Last edited:
So, lemme get this straight. Fu Manchu has over a thousand years of experience, and only NOW manages to make reasonable progress towards total world domination? I mean, yes, Tamerlane and Genghis Khan, but you'd think a so-called "genius" would be able to figure out a way to rule from beyond the grave or at least lay down a solid infrastructure behind to continue his work. Not to mention coming up with hundreds of inventions for his own use. Instead, he has pain amplifiers, hypnosis, and second-rate biological warfare. My conclusion is that the poor bastard was born retarded, got lucky with some Elixir during his first century, and has only managed to do what he has done now through long, LONG experience. It probably took him five centuries just to catch up with normal people.

Bring on the pain amplifiers, you hare-witted barbarian! The Han are greater than your kind ever could be!

On a side note, exactly what does Fu Manchu intend to do if he conquers the world anyways? Swim in a pool of dollar bills? Deal with endless revolts? Play games of "Guess the traitor in my inner circle"? Tap-dance on the Dragon Throne, upload the video to YouTube, and force people to watch and rate it highly? Transport the entire American population to Mars for a colonization project? The possibilities are endless and just as retarded as the good Doctor is.

Oh, and good AAR, by the way. Very gripping.

Tomn_Peng said:
So, lemme get this straight. Fu Manchu has over a thousand years of experience, and only NOW manages to make reasonable progress towards total world domination? I mean, yes, Tamerlane and Genghis Khan,
...and Attila the Hun. Don't forget Attila.

I'm going to throw out a guess here. First of all, Fu has probably suffered devastating setbacks several times in his life. For example, Attila lost most of his army in a major battle at the Catalonian Fields. After that, the Hunnish forces were never quite the same. So he's repeatedly been foiled by various enemies that knocked his power base back by a century or more.

Second of all, for most of his life he couldn't stay in one place too long. After twenty or thirty years, they're bound to figure out that he is effectively immortal. In most pre-industrial cultures, that would make him a witch or sorcerer, which would make him a threat and a target for everyone else. The risk of being killed in a palace coup or some such thing would have been very very high at that point. Hence his attempts to fake his own deaths as Attila and as Ghengis Khan.

So he couldn't spend centuries nursing a single nation to greatness until his position was so secure that he could afford to have it known that he didn't age. That condition has probably not been met until 20th-century China, where Fu has a very strong security network and vast covert resources to protect him. It's clear that he's spent most of the past century or more amassing all those resources.

but you'd think a so-called "genius" would be able to figure out a way to rule from beyond the grave or at least lay down a solid infrastructure behind to continue his work.
He did with the Mongols; their khanates lasted for roughly 100 years before being laid low by the combination of the Black Plague and Mongol mismanagement (which was arguably so intrinsic to Mongol culture that Fu couldn't have done anything about it). And he may well have done it again with the Manchu dynasty in China as Nurhachi. And he's clearly done it again with the Si-Fan, who have been around for a long time.

The problem is that any organization he builds that he is not clearly the leader of will tend to wander out from under his control. This was especially true back when he was trying to conquer the world as a warlord (Attila and Genghis Khan). He couldn't maintain the total loyalty of all his subordinates in a situation like that, and even the most cunning evil genius is vulnerable to death in battle. Look at what happened to Fu when he went up against Skorzeny in the Dreamland. That crossbow bolt was within an inch of killing him.

Conquering the world is hard, even for a man with the intellect of any ten men of genius. There are lots of tough, competent people (like Denis Nayland Smith and Otto Skorzeny) who will get in the way

Not to mention coming up with hundreds of inventions for his own use. Instead, he has pain amplifiers, hypnosis, and second-rate biological warfare.
And an immortality serum that regenerates any physical injury. How hard do you think that was to invent, given that he must have done it some time around 400-500 A.D at the earliest?

And that 'second rate biological warfare' includes a kind of 'super-soldier' drug that we don't have today (despite seventy years of medical advances since the 1930s). Likewise the pain amplifier; we have no idea how something like that would work.

Fu's talents are not centered in the physical sciences, it would appear. But as a chemist and biologist, he's probably the smartest man who's ever lived, and maybe the smartest who ever will. Moreover, he's gotten very, very good at Lovecraftian sorcery, which is extremely hard to do without becoming a complete loon. That probably took a few centuries of effort right there (and may explain what he's been doing since the days of Nurhachi).

My conclusion is that the poor bastard was born retarded, got lucky with some Elixir during his first century, and has only managed to do what he has done now through long, LONG experience. It probably took him five centuries just to catch up with normal people.
He did pretty good as Attila the Hun. Attila was smart.

Bring on the pain amplifiers, you hare-witted barbarian! The Han are greater than your kind ever could be!
And by 'Han' do you mean the Buck Rogers villains?

On a side note, exactly what does Fu Manchu intend to do if he conquers the world anyways? Swim in a pool of dollar bills? Deal with endless revolts? Play games of "Guess the traitor in my inner circle"? Tap-dance on the Dragon Throne, upload the video to YouTube, and force people to watch and rate it highly?
Use the resources of the world to further whatever designs enhance his personal power, such as further sorcerous investigation?

For a man like Fu Manchu, power is its own reward.

Transport the entire American population to Mars for a colonization project?
Without air supplies? Maybe.