• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, I just finished updating the pdf (you can find it at the usual place). I just saw I hadn't done that since September 2008. :eek:
In that time The Yogi added about 150 pages to this AAR, even though he took a break of at least half a year or more. So, I guess what I want to say is thank you for your continued dedication to this AAR. :)

finally, out of the lurking hell.
i must honestly say Yogi, even by high-class litterature standards, this is just great:D i congratulate you.
Also, 3000th reply ftw.

So, I just finished updating the pdf (you can find it at the usual place). I just saw I hadn't done that since September 2008. :eek:
In that time The Yogi added about 150 pages to this AAR, even though he took a break of at least half a year or more. So, I guess what I want to say is thank you for your continued dedication to this AAR. :)

Seboden, I thank you most humbly.

Yogi, your description of that fleet lying at acnhor and the possible destruction that awaits it both are riveting as always.

:( More lambs to the slaughter... Too many disasters to have any faith left in the Europeans. Still, you painted a wonderful picture of sea power there, with all the ships cluttering Singapore.
Well, this time they have at least some air cover, which will make a big difference when it comes to breaking up torpedo attacks. What killed Force Z was that a huge number of Japanese planes could concentrate on two targets, with nothing to interfere with their attacks at all except the ships' own AAA and evasive maneuvers.

So it's going to be considerably harder for the Pan-Asians to wipe out this fleet than it was for the Japanese to destroy the historical Force Z.

What I'd like to see is Hood actually getting some action for a change instead of just blowing up with the first shot. In a setting where so much else has changed, that seems only fair...

What I'd like to see is Hood actually getting some action for a change instead of just blowing up with the first shot. In a setting where so much else has changed, that seems only fair...

There'll be no fairness in this. Fu will fuck it up for the Europeans with some unmanly ploy that blows up/sinks capital ships and then in the confusion the japs arrive and blow everything out of the water. :mad:

There'll be no fairness in this. Fu will fuck it up for the Europeans with some unmanly ploy that blows up/sinks capital ships and then in the confusion the japs arrive and blow everything out of the water. :mad:
He won't even need to do that. Those Fulmars versus Zeros? Pray for a miracle, but put your money on Japanese naval air.

Yogi, every update is a much-appreciated gift.

I don't know what a Fulmar is but I'd still take them and their carriers into a fleet action if it was me.

Just a quick clarification, more complete answers will come later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Fulmar

He won't even need to do that. Those Fulmars versus Zeros? Pray for a miracle, but put your money on Japanese naval air.
The Illustrious and the Ark Royal, the two carriers in Force Z, carry Supermarine Seafires which is the navalized version of the Spitfire, not Fulmars.

Historically, the Supermarine Seafire came into service much later, and was based on the Spitfire MK V (here it's a navalised Mk I). This was because of the nefarious influence of Fu Manchu, through his vehicle of Churchill;

Wikipedia said:
The matter of a seaborne Spitfire was raised again in November 1939 when the Air Ministry allowed a Commander Ermen to fly a Spitfire I. After his first flight in R6718 Ermen learned that Joseph Smith, Chief Designer at Supermarine had been instructed to fit an "A-frame" arrestor hook on a Spitfire and that this had flown on 16 October; a drawing of this aircraft had been shown to the Fleet Air Arm on 27 October.[2] After further discussions Supermarine submitted a drawing of a Spitfire with folding wings and an arrestor hook. In this case the wings were designed with a fold just outboard of the undercarriage bays; the outer wings would swivel and fold backwards, parallel with the fuselage. On 29 February 1940 the Admiralty asked the Air Ministry to sanction the production of 50 folding wing Spitfires, with the first deliveries to start in July. However, for various reasons Winston Churchill who was First Lord of the Admiralty stepped in and cancelled the order, writing to Lord Beaverbrook[3]:

I regard it as of very great importance that the production of Fulmars should be kept going.[4]
It would take over 18 months before the first Seafires were built.

But in this story, since Churchill was removed from under the influence of Fu, and also stripped of all power (because he was a mess after being de-hypnotised) he didn't have the opportunity to interfere with the Seafires development, and so there's a limited number of Seafire MkI in service with the Fleet Air Arm.

Last edited:
The Illustrious and the Ark Royal, the two carriers in Force Z, carry Supermarine Seafires which is the navalized version of the Spitfire, not Fulmars.

Historically, the Supermarine Seafire came into service much later, and was based on the Spitfire MK V (here it's a navalised Mk I). This was because of the nefarious influence of Fu Manchu, through his vehicle of Churchill;

But in this story, since Churchill was removed from under the influence of Fu, and also stripped of all power (because he was a mess after being de-hypnotised) he didn't have the opportunity to interfere with the Seafires development, and so there's a limited number of Seafire MkI in service with the Fleet Air Arm.
That should spell some hope for the British! Even if their empire in Asia is already flying apart, maybe Force Z will defend British glory on the oceans for a little while more :eek:o

Check that out! You're actually writing on this again!

I, completely innocently, began reading this again about 2 weeks ago, thinking it had been dormant for months or years. I'm trying to read this and your earlier Fu Manchu at the same time, which is a little odd, but it's how I'm doing it. :D

You got me hooked on this when you did that "favorite character" poll a while back, and I'd been looking forward to having time to check it out more fully.

In any case, you might be interested to know that I've also checked out The Mask of Fu Manchu from Netflix, and we're watching it with my 14 year old son who is a big Myrna Loy fan (as are we all -- she plays Fah Lo See). Never would have even thought to look for it, if it weren't for your story!

Rensslaer

Words cannot express the joy of seeing this story back in action, if even for a little bit...

Hmm, Force Z, that doesn't sound troubling at all...though at least they have some form of airpower with them this time, I can't wait to see how Fu manages to turn things to his advantage.