• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trully ingenious of Mr Manchu. Now it is only a matter of time before a daring raid puts the US battleships to dive like submarines.

Keep up the excellent writing!

Hmmm, interesting. The weakness of any army always is it men. Hmmm, now what shall they hear on the radio, what indeed?

hahaha, excellent, now the Pan Asian navy will know where the American Navy is located and how many ships are in each task force...

This could be reflected by the original "Pearl Harbour" modifiers, shouldn't that happen in this story.

Nice to see that Japanese made products quality has improved 40 years earlier than in our time line ;)

Damn Fu and his evil plots! If only the US understood the danger- perhaps Dennis Nayland-Smith can advise them.

Mayhaps :p

Whoo! It may have taken a long time to read through this, but wow was it worth it! Keep up the good work, Yogi. :)

Thanks for reading and commenting all, and especially good to have you back on board, Morpheus506! You've been with this thing from the very beginning. Can I expect a good, hearty SKORZENY!! from you, from time to time? ;)

Secret Service HQ, Regent’s Park, London
British Empire

November 26th, 1939

bigben.jpg

From here to there and back again…’ mumbled Sir Dennis Nayland Smith as he critically looked around the much reduced office space that had been assigned to Division FM in Regent’s Park. So many resources had been stripped away: Salk and his team of scientists, after solving their critical task had been whisked away by Military Research and Development. Almost all the spy network built up in China proper (with the exception of a few choice moles inside the Si-Fan which Nayland Smith had never reported to anyone), and the controllers for it had been taken over by the East Asian division, and with good reason. The threat of Fu Manchu was no longer a dubious contingency, but clear and present for all to see. There was no longer any need for a dedicated Fu Manchu-division, since after Germany itself, the new Pan-Asian Empire was the top priority of the Secret Service as a whole. As for the Hong Kong office, it had been abandoned, mainly for security reasons (the colony was deemed indefensible against a Pan-Asian attack) but also in to avoid antagonising the new Asian superpower. Alone and against the ropes in its fight with Germany, Britain could not afford to make an open enemy of the Pan-Asian Empire.

What remained was the very core of the division – Sir Dennis himself, his secretary Miss Monneypenny, Dr Henry “Indiana” Jones acting as historical and linguistic expert, and Lieutenant James Bond who made up the sum of the divisions field resources. For the first time in a long time, they were all together; Nayland Smith and Monneypenny fresh from Hong Kong, Leutenant Bond from France and Dr Jones from Hungary.

‘Well, it’s not much, but it will do, I guess.’ Nayland Smith concluded his inspection. ‘Come, let’s inaugurate it with having Dr Jones show us the slides he took from Attila’s tomb! We could certainly need the distraction.’

Indy rolled in a slide projector into the single small conference room of the office while the other three took seats around the conference table, eagerly awaiting the show. They would be the first (and only) people in the world to see the interior of Attila’s tomb, since its location had been kept secret from the world.

Firing up the machine, Indy inserted the first slide which was projected in splendid and life-like colour on the empty white wall.

‘Right, this is the entrance to the tomb. Notice the broken and rusted lock mechanism just inside the door. I heard it break as I pushed the door open, so I suppose the door was locked. On this next slide you can see the intact lock on the inside of the outer door. As far as I can see, there is no way to open it from the outside. Once the door was pushed closed, the lock would click into place and the door would remain closed for all eternity… or as was the case, as it rusted apart.’

Nayland Smith nodded, stroking his chin. ‘Hmmm… that would mean that Attila’s body was removed BEFORE the door was ever closed, right?’

Indy nodded. ‘It would seem so. But then, why was the treasure, or at least a part of it, left behind? Why was only the body, and if it even existed, the Sword of Mars taken? Right, this is the interior of the tomb, and in the centre you can see Attila’s exterior iron coffin, and the treasure coffers along the walls.’

‘Wow.’ Bond said softly, while the others watched in silent fascination at the final resting place of the scourge of God. Indy pushed in the next slide.

‘This is the first of the frescoes, ordered chronologically after their subject. I’m pretty certain this is supposed to be the battle of the Catalunian Fields, near Chalons in France. This is the westernmost point reached by any of the Altaian conquerors. Anyway, the Romans and their German federates, the Visigoths, under the Roman General Flavius Aëtius defeated Attila. I’m pretty certain this would be Aëtius!’ Indy said, pushing in the next slide which was a magnification of a portion of the fresco centred around the face of a high Roman officer who was crossing swords with Attila.

‘He looks a bit like you, Sir!’ Monneypenny commented.

‘So he does, Sir!’ Bond agreed.

Nayland Smith went slightly white and nodded. ‘With a full beard and twenty years younger… yes, I guess I might have looked a little bit like that. And that… would be Attila himself, Dr Jones?’

‘Yes Sir, that would be him. Evil-looking isn’t he? A fitting face for the scourge of God.’

‘In- indeed, Dr Jones.’ Nayland Smith said softly. ‘What else do you have?’

Indy pushed in yet another slide representing another fresco, divided into three parts.

‘This triptych represents the death of Attila. On this first painting,’ (new magnified slide) ‘Aëtius is giving a bottle of poison to a blonde young woman who, I’m pretty certain is supposed to be Ildico, Attila’s last wife. We can assume this because in the next picture’ (slide) ‘Attila is being married in traditional Hunnish fashion to the same young woman. In the third picture’ (slide) ‘the supposed Ildico is pouring the poison into a goblet of wine with Attila waiting for her in bed.’

James Bond looked dumbstruck and pointed at the projected fresco. ‘She… she looks just like Hannah!’

‘Son, you’ve got that Nazi gal on your brains!’ Bond’s illegitimate father exploded. ‘Ever since you came back from France its Hannah this and Hannah that and oooh and aaah!’

‘I do so NOT go oooh! and aaah!’ Bond retorted angrily.

‘Oh, but you do!’ Indy insisted. ‘At least in your head, and it shows! OK, there is a resemblance, but have you forgotten she is the enemy, and has shot down and killed dozens of your countrymen?’

‘She’s just doing her duty…’ Bond muttered.

‘Of course she is!’ Indy spat.

No one else dared intrude upon the father-son exchange, although Nayland Smith was of the opinion that there was only the most superficial resemblance between the feared Luftwaffe aviatrix and painted rendering of Attila’s nemesis. And after all, Ildico was supposed to have been of German race too.

The next few slides were of the final frescoes retelling the burial of Attila, and then some detailing the laid out treasures in the tomb, in exchange for which the Romanian State had paid the archaeologist the equivalent of a royal ransom in finders fee. What Indiana Jones did not at any time mention was the degenerate people under the mountain, something he had agreed with Nayland Smith. There was no reason for anyone knowing about them, not ever. Nothing would be said about them in the official report to Secret Service either. The fewer that knew about their existence, the better for humanity and its peace of mind.

Peace of mind was something Dennis Nayland Smith was sure would elude him for the foreseeable future though. He had said nothing, but the fact was that the face of Attila, as depicted on the frescoes had not been unknown to him: with the exception of the eyes, which were clearly depicted as blue, and the beard and hair which were long and unkempt on the painting, the face of Attila the Hun was the spitting image of Nayland Smith’s arch-enemy, the devil doctor Fu Manchu!​

Last edited:
Wooha! Now why did I have an inkling that something like that might happen! Wonderful Yogi, despite all I surmised, you still surprise! Thanks! DW

Ooooh! Aaaah! :D

cthulhu said:
So, Fu Manchu was Attila and Nayland-Smith Aetius? Fascinating... Cool update Yogi. :)
And Hanna the poisoner... if the Pan Asian Empire are the Huns and the UK the Romans (beeing Smith Aeitus) then the Visigoths (who allowed the Romans to triumph) would be...

For some reason I thought Indy and Bond were brothers- when Indy said "Bro" I thought he was being serious. Oh well. Guess I'll have to read Fu's master plan again!

Gjerg Kastrioti said:
For some reason I thought Indy and Bond were brothers- when Indy said "Bro" I thought he was being serious. Oh well. Guess I'll have to read Fu's master plan again!

No, you thought right, at the time Indy was convinced that Henry Jones sr was Bond's father and James Bond his half-brother. But Indy was latter told that Bond's mother had been serving as an army nurse at the Somme when Jones sr was in London (so they couldn't have met), and THEN he remembered the nurse Monique Delacroix who had "comforted" him when he was wounded at the Somme...;)

This was all disclosed in the post taking place in the club Obi-Wan in Shanghai, 1935.

There's a temporary hiatus because of

1) Workload at the office suddenly skyrocketed (has to do with the time of year).

2) Light-saving hours ended in Sweden nov. 1. That means my kids now wake up at around 5.00 AM, instead of 6.00 AM. Guess who's too tired to write at night?

3) RTW Barbarian Invasion is eating up what little time/energy I have have left at the end of the day after family requirements are satisfied.

However, this is a temporary situation. The kids will adjust, the office will prevail :) and BI will grow old, and the Fu Manchu (as well as TEATL and KOTWE) will return with a vengeance! Prepare for Apocalypse in... The Empire of Fu Manchu!