• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Yogi said:
He... I have had a hard time myself figuring out what kind of weapon it was that Cay Van Ash had Fu Manchu using in his book, but gleaning together all the tidbits he gave came up with one conclusion that fits all the facts given. I'm not sure if it would spoil the story in any way if I told you what it is straight up - I mean, it's not like any of the heroes has the scientific training to deduce the physics behind the device, nor would it make any difference to the story if they did. Your call, should I tell you?

No - don't tell us. Not becuase it would spoil the story but someone is bound to nitpick on the science.

You've described the device and its limitations and its effect.

HOW it does all these things is irrelevant to the story.

PS X-ray laser :D

Kanitatlan said:
I would assume the weapon is simply a laser. The trigger beam is clearly a small optical laser but the weapon itself could be any sort of laser. I am rather more intrigued with the accumulator technology as that is something that is beyond modern science* (but a big favourite with evil masterminds).

Also, the reason for using an exotic power source is simple enough. A more conventional power source cannot be operated in self-contained secrecy. It is hard to deliver and and process 50,000 tons of coal without being rather visible and involving a lot of personnel. A atomic power source may take just as much effort to build but once built requires a much more limited crew and no external resources.
* The biggest modern accumulator I have personally come across was the size of a large room and didn't even kill the bloke who accidentally earthed it through himself (megawatt laser cathode to hand to thigh to 3 ton steel table, approx 24" arcs)

But worryingly implies that Pan Asia have level 5 reactors already!!!!

Uh-oh. :eek: We can only hope that some raid by elite soldiers led by this story's heroes can demolish the nefarious threat to the Royal Navy... :(

Great update, Yogi, as always.

As a side note, I just noticed that cthulhu's still alive. I thought he had dissapeared. Engulfed by the terrors of the *gulp* real world. :eek:

The Yogi said:
He... I have had a hard time myself figuring out what kind of weapon it was that Cay Van Ash had Fu Manchu using in his book, but gleaning together all the tidbits he gave came up with one conclusion that fits all the facts given. I'm not sure if it would spoil the story in any way if I told you what it is straight up - I mean, it's not like any of the heroes has the scientific training to deduce the physics behind the device, nor would it make any difference to the story if they did. Your call, should I tell you?
I'd love to know what you're planning to have him build.

dublish said:
In that case, he should set up some geothermal or tidal plants in the area. The costs might be high, but Asia isn't looking too bad economically (and certainly not with Fu running things).
The problem is that he's building this power plant near the site of his super energy weapon emplacement. Tidal plants are utterly impossible to hide. Geothermal is at least plausible, but difficult. Moreover, it is not at all clear that the site he wants to place his energy weapon on will be even remotely suitable for geothermal power production (you can't do it just anywhere, y'know).

An atomic pile would actually be a good choice for secrecy, although moving it and setting it up in secret would be difficult.

Then again, if you want a nuclear reactor built on a remote island for nefarious purposes, the capable hands of Dr. No are exactly where you want the task placed.

Derek Pullem said:
PS X-ray laser :D
Can't be. X-ray lasers cannot use mirrors, because it's impossible to build an X-ray reflector. Even the densest materials will simply refract, rather than reflect X-rays, because X-rays have wavelengths so short they bend and flow around individual atoms.

Rereading select portions of "Ten years after Baker Street" i discovered that I had made an error regarding the charging of the weapons accumulators, it was not from a thunderstorm (there was a thunderstorm, but it was incidental), but in fact precisely from a tidal plant hidden in a coastal cave.

I will alter the post accordingly.

The weapon's nature will be revealed in a Fireplace post at the Nitpick Club*, for those who want to have a look. It's about time something happens there!

The idea presented there is not "canonical", just an interpretation of the facts, although the capabilities of the weapon are.

*Don't forget to register if you haven't!

Last edited:
Simon_Jester said:
Can't be. X-ray lasers cannot use mirrors, because it's impossible to build an X-ray reflector. Even the densest materials will simply refract, rather than reflect X-rays, because X-rays have wavelengths so short they bend and flow around individual atoms.
But Yogi's description only mentioned the trigger laser being reflected. ;)

Originally Posted by Elbasto

GDI's Ion Cannon... sort of.

EXACTLY!!!

Just, you know, using tidal power rather than a geo-synchronous satellite system...or would Fu already be planning a space race?

Just my opinions, of course; I base this on absolutely nothing.

Lyon_Man said:
EXACTLY!!!

Just, you know, using tidal power rather than a geo-synchronous satellite system...or would Fu already be planning a space race?

Just my opinions, of course; I base this on absolutely nothing.
Well, it seems to me that there's nothing to stop someone from shooting the Ion Cannon sideways instead of straight down.

I'm pretty sure Fu isn't interested in space flight yet; his rocket technology is still primitive. I mean, five years ago he was interested enough in Werner von Braun's work to send Hannah Reitsch over to find out if he had anything worth stealing, and if Fu were within ten years of space flight, the proposition that this might be true would be absurd.

He has his emergency escape rocket, of course, but there's no reason to assume that can do anything but loft him high enough for the pod to glide or parachute to a secure location in the general vicinity.

Simon_Jester said:
The problem is that he's building this power plant near the site of his super energy weapon emplacement. Tidal plants are utterly impossible to hide. Geothermal is at least plausible, but difficult. Moreover, it is not at all clear that the site he wants to place his energy weapon on will be even remotely suitable for geothermal power production (you can't do it just anywhere, y'know).
The Yogi said:
Rereading select portions of "Ten years after Baker Street" i discovered that I had made an error regarding the charging of the weapons accumulators, it was not from a thunderstorm (there was a thunderstorm, but it was incidental), but in fact precisely from a tidal plant hidden in a coastal cave.
Fu Manchu agrees with dublish. :D

Re: geothermal, isn't Indonesia part of the Ring of Fire?

Jape said:
When Fu mentioned a very made spy network, and Dr. No's prescence, I was waiting for Blofeld to walk through those doors... :D
I'm looking forward to the formation of SPECTRE. :)

Just out of curiosity, which Blofeld incarnation is used? Don Pleasence?

dublish said:
Fu Manchu agrees with dublish. :D

Re: geothermal, isn't Indonesia part of the Ring of Fire?
Not all volcanic regions make good sources for geothermal power, and it requires a fair amount of detailed geological knowledge to predict where the good places will be found.

As for tidal, I retract my statement. I forgot that you can build a small tidal plant in a small space (relatively speaking).

That said, an atomic pile has the huge advantage over a geothermal or tidal plant that you can pick your own site. You don't have to find a convenient estuary or geyser field. Since for this application the location of Fu Manchu's energy weapon is important, it's very useful to him to be able to place the weapon wherever he chooses rather than having to build it close to the best location to exploit natural energy resources.

dublish said:
Just out of curiosity, which Blofeld incarnation is used? Don Pleasence?

Anyone else would be blasphemy! :D

I blaspheme! ;)

...cause I'm basing my Blofeld on the description in the novel "Thunderball".

The Yogi said:
I blaspheme! ;)

...cause I'm basing my Blofeld on the description in the novel "Thunderball".
Wasn't he 'Number 2' in that one? I can't remember exactly how the SPECTRE numbering system worked, but it wasn't static.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

Until last week I was quite annoyed at Yogi. Because he didn't update the Third Reich in WWIII and especially because for so long he didn't write anything on The Eagle And The Lion. I really really really wanted to know how the great revolutions were going to play out in this weird new world where Germany won WW1.

Then I started reading "Master Plan of Fu Manchu".

And now I'm soooooo addicted :eek:

I'm only halfway through the PDF version of Empire of Fu Manchu. And itÄs just getting deeper and deeper. :eek:o :eek: :eek:

Yogi, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!

The other projects are also pretty damn cool, but... Fu... Fu just has that special thing that comes when you mix fiction heros and supervillains and real history twisted slowly out of shape. :cool:

Yogi I LOVE YOU!!!!