• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
4th Dimension said:
And I wouldn't want for his downfall to be any connected with military failure. He's an evil mastermind. EM aren't stopped by normal armies, or looses.
Normally, I'd agree with you. However, Fu Manchu stopped being an EM when he became Emperor of Pan-Asia, with all the attendant normal armies the position comes with. He's no more than a run-of-the-mill dictator bent on military conquest at this point... Well, maybe not so run-of-the-mill...

If he's ousted as the head of the Empire and goes back to being the shadowy villain whose plans are a complete unknown, then he'll be an EM again. Until that time, he can be defeated militarily, and as Derek Pullem notes, such defeats are possible and likely even for the best of his subordinates.

Dead William said:
Hmmm, I would say the causes are two fold: People doubting his abilities at a time when he has suffered a setback or people guessing even part of his plan when he thought it was impossible for them to do so.

But if I'm wrong no doubt Simon_Jester will have the answer

DW
For which vote of confidence I thank you, but what are you talking about in particular?

GeneralHannibal said:
Just curious, what is going in Mexico? I'm sure they aren't to happy about the Pan-Asian invasion. Is there any chance of Mexico joining Canada in their aid of the US?

It could certainly mess up the supply lines, and stall advance for a while. I imagine that it might put New Mexico and Arizona into serious danger for a while, which would halt the advance along the Mississippi...
Mexico was something of a political basket case in the 1930s; they're still recovering. There's no way they want to antagonize any world powers, especially one that appears like it just might manage to conquer their hulking neighbor to the north.

Also, the Mexican army is almost exclusively infantry armed with relatively old weapons. They won't be able to advance fast into US territory, and will be very vulnerable to any Pan-Asian armored formations sent against them.

The Yogi said:
Sigh... your failure at guessing is in fact MY failure as writer. ;)
Don't beat yourself up. Who thinks of Fu Manchu as a family man?

The Yogi said:
All right, you can expect the appeareance of a Kanitatlan-character before long... not a major character, mind you. Thank the powers that your board-name is Asian-sounding, this should not be too hard. A Dead William or a Dinglehoff would not have been too hard either, but I shudder to think of the consequences had cthulhu won this contest! ;)
Wow. I wish I hadn't missed this contest. Of course, I don't see where you'd fit a Simon Jester in there, either.

Though a cameo by any other name would smell as sweet.

4th Dimension said:
Unlike it seems most of the fans, I wouldn't want Fu to fall right now. And I wouldn't want for his downfall to be any connected with military failure. He's an evil mastermind. EM aren't stopped by normal armies, or looses. They MUST come *this* close to winning. And even then only way to stop him is to confront him in his stronghold, or by destroying his worldkilling device.

That being said, I wouldn't want to see Fu loosing battles UNTILL he gets REAL close to his goal of dominating Europe. He needs to control either USA or Europe, and bring the other one nearly on it's knees. THEN and only then can his fall begin.

That would be keeping in character with Fu's other aliases like Ghengis Khan, Attila and others.

And what that means is, turn the South China Sea RED from RN sailors BLOOD!
The thing is, this time Fu has associated himself with his nation far more closely than before. And he's opposed by powers much more capable of opposing him than the powers he fought as Attila or Temujin or Nurhachi.

If his nation starts losing battles he may not be able to slip away this time.

elbasto said:
Imagine the irony if Fah marries the crown prince and thus becomes empress... and thanks to the elixir, the most long lived royal figure of all times.

It wouldn't amaze me if certain daughter of the current British King drinks a little bit :D
Who? Huh?

The Yogi said:
... but I shudder to think of the consequences had cthulhu won this contest! ;)
Now THAT would be an interesting development although possibly a little fatal for the story. (Reminds me of Yellow Clearance Blackbox Blues ending number 4 - the one I used - a Kanitatlan competition win to anyone who can identify the reference [hope Yogi doesn't mind])

Kanitatlan said:
Now THAT would be an interesting development although possibly a little fatal for the story. (Reminds me of Yellow Clearance Blackbox Blues ending number 4 - the one I used - a Kanitatlan competition win to anyone who can identify the reference [hope Yogi doesn't mind])

Yogi doesn't mind, in fact he thinks he has won the contest. You are an old Paranoia GM who ran the adventure Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues, including mission #4 which ends with EVERYONE, including but not limited to Great Cthulhu chasing the characters. :eek: Must've been one helluva game to play! :D

The Yogi said:
Yogi doesn't mind, in fact he thinks he has won the contest. You are an old Paranoia GM who ran the adventure Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues, including mission #4 which ends with EVERYONE, including but not limited to Great Cthulhu chasing the characters. :eek: Must've been one helluva game to play! :D
I'm guessing you just looked this up. Great Cuthulhu turns up as an optional ending and considering the nonsensical nature of mission 4 I thought the "and Great Cthulhu ... etc, etc , the end" was actually a sensible way to tie it off. By the way, the game can easily be disappointing as it is absolutely dependent on everyone playing it for the insanity rather than the rather too common actually focusing on trying to complete the mission and working as team (a team, how could they, everyone else is a traitor)
Dinglehoff said:
Is that the game where the PC's work for a supercomputer running a city and are under constant threat of denunciation and execution as communist spies?
Yep, that's the one although constant threat is a bit of an understatement. The back story dumps you into an underground city run by a computer based on 1950s US anti-communist paranoia. The only game where "magic items" always fill you with gut wrenching fear.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I know it's not Fu Manchu. :mad:

Kanitatlan said:
I'm guessing you just looked this up...
Yes, that's right. Was it against the "rules"? I did have an inkling it could be a Paranoia adventure (didn't play Paranoia but knew of it, thus the Yellow Clearance thing made me think of it).

dublish said:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I know it's not Fu Manchu. :mad:
True, we have strayed horribly OT. A few more updates are in the works. I had several ideas and started writing them up as they came, so right now I have a lot of text that belongs in several different updates. Expect in the near future:

1) Further Dreamland adventures
2) The Return of the Black Naga
3) New and nefarious plots by the devil doctor
4) Renewed adventures of Buck Rogers in the American war
5) A new wild goose-chase quest for Günther Duhrn
6) And more...

Last edited:
The return of Duhrn? I'm almost afraid to learn what's become of him! :eek:

VILenin said:
The return of Duhrn? I'm almost afraid to learn what's become of him! :eek:
Then go back and read the last two updates, and you'll know. ;)

Tokyo
Japan, Pan-Asian Empire

Sunday, July 27th 1940

TokyoEmppalacegoodcolorclose.jpg

A silver gong rang out in the stillness of the Imperial Palace. Half a dozen of men of various races and ages had assembled in Fu Manchu’s private quarters, where no prying eyes could reach.

‘The Council of Seven is in session. Gentlemen, as should be apparent to you all, I’m quite alive. Putting the rumour of my demise to rest is one of the two reasons I’ve called this extraordinary meeting of the Council of Seven. The other is no less important; As every one of you is well aware, one Council Seat stands empty. It belongs to the Lady of the Si Fan, my once favoured daughter Fah Lo Suee. I put to the Council that she should be formally stripped of rank and position. Those in favour?’

‘Aye!’ Six throats spoke almost as one, and a sardonic smile parted Fu Manchu’s thin lips.

‘Well! It’s not often one has the privilege of seeing such unanimity in this august body. As for the matter of her elimination, I’ve arranged for that personally, and with that I regard this matter as closed.’

‘Hardly!’ objected Dhondu Pant, haughty Indian Prince, Master of Thugees and Pharsigars, centenarian heir to the throne of the Maharatta. ‘The matter is not closed until a replacement for her can be found! I move that…’

‘No.’ Fu Manchu refused flatly. ‘Now you will all try to place some stooge under your control on Fah Lo Suee’s seat, all of you will vote against the candidates of the others and the discussion will take hours, days and weeks and will degenerate into fighting. And all the while, the damage caused by her defection will worsen. No, this ends here and today, with the candidate I propose. I dare you all to find one more suitable to our immediate needs.’

‘And what in the name of Melek Talus are those needs, Revered Fu Manchu?’, asked Sheikh al Jabal, head of the dreaded devil-worshiping cult of Assassins of Tabaristan.

‘Shut up and my father will tell you!’ growled Siwan Khan, the Viceroy of the American Provinces, drawing many an annoyed look. The vicious Princeling was gaining too much standing with his father lately. That gained him no popularity.

‘Indeed. Don’t you all realise what it is that we have lost with Fah Lo Suee? She organised and ran our spy network! When she betrayed us, she virtually gutted our intelligence service. Oh, the spies remain and continue to report in, but how do we know which ones are loyal to us, and which ones now receive their reports from His Majesties Secret Service? What we need, immediately, urgently, is a new Spy Master, if possible with a working network already in place. And it so happens I have found just such a man.’

‘What a surprise!’ Dhondu Pant said, his voice heavy with irony. ‘Well, Revered Doctor, do not keep us waiting any longer! Please, introduce YOUR stooge then!’

‘By all means.’ Fu Manchu clapped his hands and a black clad servant pushed aside a door to admit the candidate.

‘My name is Ernst Stavros Blofeldt, and I am nobody’s stooge!’ he declared in dark rich voice, fit for grand proclamations. Blue eyes stared defiantly out of a smooth, square face crowned by cap of brilliant black hair. Despite the full lips, drawn into a sneer of cruelty and disdain, the large straight nose and prominent Slavic cheekbones left little doubt the newcomer was Caucasian. The members of the Council of Seven jumped to their feet in fury.

‘What is the meaning of this?!’ shouted Dhondu Pant. ‘This man is white, one of the oppressors! What stake does he have in the overthrow of the white empires and the liberation of all Asians?’

‘Well, Mr Blofeldt?’ Fu Manchu asked, raising an eyebrow and stretching one corner of his mouth in amusement. ‘How about it?’

‘My stake in this venture is very simple – working from my base in Istanbul, I’ve spent what fortune I possessed setting up spy rings in the Axis and Allied countries. My networks are VERY well connected, and were not cheap to set up, but when war broke out, as I knew it would, I intended to sell information to both sides and make a fortune. And then the war ended before it really began. Oh, they still throw me a bone, now and then, London and Paris, Rome and Berlin. They trust each other only as far as they can check and verify each others actions. When Russia was invaded, I offered my services to the NKVD, to capitalise at least on my investment in the Reich, but it didn’t take me long to figure out the Si Fan could pay for my networks much better, and His Imperial Highness here seems to have reached the same conclusion. As for the Asians… they can drown in their own filth as far as I am concerned!’ Blofeldt concluded. ‘I expect to make a profit, a very substantial profit!’

‘A mercenary?’ Sandokan III, Prince of the Malayan Pirates asked, frowning and shaking his head. ‘Dr Fu Manchu, I don’t know about this… so far, the Si Fan has been an organisation of freedom-fighters. This man is a common criminal!’ Sheik Al-Jabal and Dhondu Pant nodded to that, sending hateful glances at the arrogant European.

At this statement, Nag Po Lama, leader of the Monks of the Black Temple of Tibet made his first and last comment of the day, a sinister and scornful laughter, earning annoyed looks from the other Councilmen.

‘If anyone of you can find an Asian-born freedom-fighter with his own spy network in place in both Britain, France and the Axis countries, then by all means, let’s recruit him instead!’ Fu Manchu challenged. ‘Also, we know who Mr Blofeld will back in this council, namely the highest bidder. That’s a nice piece of stability enhancer for you, wouldn’t you say?’

In the end, the vote was unanimous.

****​

As the Councilmen were leaving the Devil Doctor's quarters, Fu Manchu with Dr No in tow walked up to Sandokan and placed a long-nailed hand lightly on the younger mans shoulder. The Pirate Prince could not help a mental shudder of discomfort at the contact. There was something vaguely spider-like about those long, thin fingers.

‘Sandokan, I have a mission for you. It involves setting up a secret base of operations in the Dutch East Indies, ideally around… Oh, Rupat Island should do nicely. Lot’s of swamps, many inaccessible places along the coast. Are you up to it?’

‘Of course, I know that delta well. Our ships often hide there. What is the purpose of this base?’

‘Tell me, have you ever heard of the Hindustan incident?’ was the Devil Doctor’s only answer.

The Malay shook his head slightly. ‘No, but I’m not that well versed in the history of India.’

Fu Manchu gave a short laugh, hard and bitter. ‘No, no, I’m talking about the incident concerning the battleship HMS Hindustan in the spring of 1914. The British have classified it and I for one am just as happy to let it be forgotten. It was one of my greatest failures, and most bitter defeats! I had captured Nayland Smith AND Dr Petrie, and I had laid a deadly trap for that ship as it passed off the coast of Wales, carrying the Prince of Wales, the future Edvard VIII. But my plans were thwarted in the last instant by a man you will no doubt have heard about, Sherlock Holmes.*’

Now Sandokan nodded. ‘Oh, everyone has heard of HIM! So he trumped you, did he?’

Fu sighed. ‘It was most galling. The means of destroying the Prince, as much as the choice of victim, were carefully selected to shake British confidence to its foundations, fore it was a device FAR in advance of anything they, or any other power on this world could field, then or now. In fact, it was not until three years AFTER the event that that German Jewish scientist, Albert Einstein, published the theoretical underpinning of my machine with his “Principle of stimulated emission”. Oh, never mind, Sandokan,’ Fu said, seeing the Malay’s confused frown, ‘there are but ten men in the world who could even begin to understand the science involved.’

‘But this… device of yours, it would have sunk a British Dreadnaught?’ the Malay asked eagerly.

‘Sunk? Ha! It would have slagged it! But anyway, the device was carefully calibrated to fire automatically when the English battleship interrupted a weak coherent beam in the optical spectrum that was bounced off a mirror on a Chinese ship that I had anchored further off the Welsh coast. This was necessary because aiming the device was next to impossible – it was too large and had to be carefully tuned to the micron to work properly. And Holmes, curse him, shifted the alignment of the mirrors, causing my device to unload all it’s energy, collected from weeks of harnessing tidal power, into the ocean! To give you an idea of the weapon’s power, it atomised enough water to cause a giant tidal wave which destroyed my machine, my base, most of my men and nearly enough myself!’

‘But… but why have you never built this fantastic device again? You could have wiped out the British Navy with it!’

‘Didn’t you listen? It’s useless as a weapon! It can’t be aimed, and it consumes so much power that with a modest tidal plant, weeks of charging were needed to power its accumulators… until now, that is. Now, I believe Dr No can provide a more reliable power source, isn’t that so?’

The Sino-German scientist nodded. ‘Yes. We have an experimental pile running, and over a period of time, it could easily load all the accumulators you could require.’

‘Hmmm… they would then have to be transported to the site and plugged into the assembly already loaded… this is extremely dangerous, but it could be done. I will consider this.’

Sandokan shook his head hard enough to make his long locks fling back and forth. ‘I still don’t understand… are you going to ambush the British fleet as it sails for Singapore?’

Fu shook his head. ‘That would scare them off after only slight losses, and nothing would prevent them from quickly spotting and destroying our base with naval gunfire. No, I intend to use this device to cut off the Royal Navy’s retreat through the Strait of Malacca after it has been defeated and is running for the safety of India. I’m not content with merely defeating the Royal Navy – I will see it annihilated!’

*“Ten Years Beyond Baker Street”, by Cay Van Ash

Last edited:
Cap`n Jim said:
Blofeld? Fantastic.
And he has hair! :eek:

Dinglehoff said:
At least Fu knows what this device is.
I have no idea.
At least you know it involves lasers (albeit only as a triggering mechanism), and amounts of energy attainable only through nuclear fission (or a lightning storm)...

I'm looking forward to the beginnings of the Bond/Blofeld rivalry... And with Dr. No already in the mix, could the formation of SPECTRE be coming up?

Dinglehoff said:
At least Fu knows what this device is.
I have no idea.
It's based on "stimulated emission of radiation" which makes it a laser or laser-like device. Mirrors mean it isn't based on X-rays, which cannot be reflected directly off any form of matter.

Therefore, I conclude that this is 'simply' a very, very large pulsed laser weapon. Which is as far ahead of its time as, say, an iPod would be in the 1960s.

Unless, of course, it is based on some completely unknown principle of physics that has not been discovered even by contemporary science, but which is known to Fu Manchu. This is quite possible; the man is a brilliant physicist, has been alive for centuries, and has had the opportunity (if anyone has) of examining the relics of certain technically advanced races in the distant past. This may be some kind of artillery-sized version of the energy weapons used by the Elder Things, for example.

Now, the trigger beam is undoubtedly a laser.

I'm surprised Fu doesn't try to charge it up with conventional electrical power plants; a small nuclear reactor isn't better than a large fossil-fired plant, and is far less safe.

Maybe he's been working on so many secret weapons plans that it's starting to go to his head... falling prey to the classic mad scientist blunder of using unnecessarily advanced technology where a simpler mechanism would suffice. ;)

Dinglehoff said:
Maybe he figures the nuclear energy will be less conspicuous than the good old fossil fuels.
In that case, he should set up some geothermal or tidal plants in the area. The costs might be high, but Asia isn't looking too bad economically (and certainly not with Fu running things).

He... I have had a hard time myself figuring out what kind of weapon it was that Cay Van Ash had Fu Manchu using in his book, but gleaning together all the tidbits he gave came up with one conclusion that fits all the facts given. I'm not sure if it would spoil the story in any way if I told you what it is straight up - I mean, it's not like any of the heroes has the scientific training to deduce the physics behind the device, nor would it make any difference to the story if they did. Your call, should I tell you?

I would assume the weapon is simply a laser. The trigger beam is clearly a small optical laser but the weapon itself could be any sort of laser. I am rather more intrigued with the accumulator technology as that is something that is beyond modern science* (but a big favourite with evil masterminds).

Also, the reason for using an exotic power source is simple enough. A more conventional power source cannot be operated in self-contained secrecy. It is hard to deliver and and process 50,000 tons of coal without being rather visible and involving a lot of personnel. A atomic power source may take just as much effort to build but once built requires a much more limited crew and no external resources.

* The biggest modern accumulator I have personally come across was the size of a large room and didn't even kill the bloke who accidentally earthed it through himself (megawatt laser cathode to hand to thigh to 3 ton steel table, approx 24" arcs)