• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2423)

First Lieutenant
Mar 29, 2001
www.tb3.org.uk
OOC: Havard made a Norway Mod, so I'll write this AAR to basically test out Norway.

But first, is there any real interest in this? I mean, I'm not gonna bother if no-one wants to hear of my fabulous exploits as Norway :)

Oh, and if the NDA has been totally lifted now, I'll post screenies as well.

The NDA was lifted and of course there is interest in your AAR. The country doesnt matter so much, people are more drawn in by the writing style and basic approach of an AAR. So jump in and give it a shot.

Originally posted by warspite
The NDA was lifted and of course there is interest in your AAR. The country doesnt matter so much, people are more drawn in by the writing style and basic approach of an AAR. So jump in and give it a shot.

But still no screenie posting for us zoids right? :(

"Is there anyone here?"

How in the seven hells did they find me? I decided to say nothing.

"HELLO?"

Persisten, aren't they? Too bad it was I who told the Hird to be like this. I, Håkon V Magnusson, thought to be long dead. Norways king more than 100 years earlier.

Bones thrown to the ground and a voice saying something in a language I didn't understand. A sami shaman? I had heared of those but never seen one.

"He says he's in this cave," another voice said. Obviously the translator. I could hear their foorsteps and soon they stood in the cave room I lived in. "The King requires your advise," the leader of them said. "My advice? I'm but an eremit," I said. And prayed they would buy it. "No, Håkon, you aren't, and you are needed. We are ruled by the Danes now, and we need your advice."

Under the Danes. Under the Danes? "What do you mean under the Danes?" And I got the whole story. The plague. The obliteration of the Norwegian nobles. Norways inability to do anything when the Danes simply said "we'll rule you now".

And what can you call it but a shame? So I didn't take long to make up my mind. Only 4 years infact. And that's when I arrived in Oslo the first time.

"We have found the best option for our king and have declared independence from the Danes," they told me. Good. At least the Norwegians weren't totally soft. There may still be some salvage. "We have started to reform the country too!" another 'noble' told me. "Yes," a third one continued, "we have started a new landnåm law effective in our two northernmost counties and we are ridding ourselves of the Danish narrowminded and de-centralised way of doing things!" At least their pride was commendable and they weren't totally stupid.

So I studied their scripts and scrolls and books for three years. Then I gave my advise to the King. It was rather simple infact.

The Samis had always been taxed by the Norwegians, but no more. That had to change. So I told King Sigurd to declare war on Novgorod and take back Kola. But only after the infrastructure in Northern Norway was sufficiently adequate. Then I left for my cave again. I couldn't stand the city anymore.

And King Sigurd heeded my advice. After the northern counties had been developed quicker than anyone would think possible he declared war. It took alot of guts to declare war on the realms of Novgorod but Sweden and Denmark joined the fight. Norway, with only a fraction of the army size our allies had, did best. Kola, Karelia and Kexholm quickly came under Norwegian control and Novgorod, who had been attacked by Muscowy, decided to let Norway get their way. Kola was Norwegian before the year 1436 ended.

No! FIrst make some screens!

But first, is there any real interest in this? I mean, I'm not gonna bother if no-one wants to hear of my fabulous exploits as Norway :)

No. Norway cant make fabulous exploits, they are vassals and underlings of Denmark.

:D

Originally posted by The Danish King

No. Norway cant make fabulous exploits, they are vassals and underlings of Denmark.

:D
Bah! Put those Danes on a pair of skis and push them down the downhill slopes of Kvitfjell, and we'll have a different discussion...

I was contacted every few years by the Kings men over trivialities. It seemed the alliance with Sweden and Denmark was causing quite a few problems. Instead of an angry Novgorod declaring war on Norway, with Sweden and Denmark saving Norway, it was quite the opposite. It was Sweden who declared the wars, Denmark not doing a thing, and Norway always saving Sweden. Not the position we had hoped for. Thus, when King Jon I came in person to me in 1473, I agreed to help him. I gave up my eremite lifestyle and decided to move permanently to the Norwegian capital. Our first task was to keep out of wars with Novgorod and seek a more permanent alliance with other stronger countries. When Sweden declared war on Novgorod again in 1478, for the fifth time in 60 years, Norway didn't honour that alliance. We decided to opt for an alliance with England instead. Such an alliance would better suit Norways needs and it would give us a chance to get the Shetlands and the Hebrides back. After five months of negotiations, Norway entered the alliance led by England, with Castille on our side as well.

In 1498 the alliance was getting ready for war as France declared war on England. Norway sent troops to Scotland and laid siege to Inverness. The islands would be ours! France exited the war soon taking part of the treasury from England, but the war continued between England and Norway versus Scotland. In the south, England had captured Edinburgh and Glasgow and had beseiged Aberdeen. The sieges continued for almost a year when Aberdeen fell and Inverness was soon to fall. The English armies marched north to help our siege and to return the islands to us! Then when the armies of the English reached Inverness, their leader Norfolk had the nerve to assume control of the siege! The Norwegian commander was furious! Here they had helped our allies and only wanted what was ours, and the English come and steal the siege! We had little choice though as we were outmanned and tired. They had their siege and the Norwegians marched south towards Newcastle to board our ships for the journey home. Then, as Inverness fell and England pushed through a deal, Scotland survived! Edinburgh and the surrounding lands were still under the Scottish crown and they were still at war with Norway! Our armies were directed towards Edinburgh, and our ships did travel to Norway, but to get reinforcements. The siege of Edinburgh will be famous in Norwegian history, as it only took 3 months for Edinburgh to fall. The last part of Scotland was now in Norwegian hands, and we had the perfect point at which to expand towards the islands.

Three years later, Scotland emerged again, with it's new capital in Aberdeen. The highlands and Glasgow was still in English hands. When the English asked for Norwegian help, we agreed, seeing our chance to get closer to the islands. The war was short as the English captured Aberdeen easily, but one again Scotland survived. It was time for Norway to end that again, and thus Norway declared war on Scotland two weeks after the peace had been signed. The stability hit was tremendous, but it was decided it was worth it. The siege lasted for more than half a year, but finally Aberdeen and surrounding areas was under the Norwegian crown. We were getting closer!