• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Suomar is rash and bold, but not entirely incompetent. He is actually pretty cunning, If he has Theoderic in front of him, the Dalmatian Romans across the sea and Remus with whatever reinforcementsw Claudius can give him, to his left, with his mauled army (that, I suspect, is way more loyal to Remus and Claudius than to him) at near-mutiny and him not being entirely certain it will fight for him, I think he'll just either sit it out or even join Remus.

Remus can then make him the commander of some border raiding cavalry, which would be the proper role for Suomar Verus, where aggressiveness and cruelty are advantaged rather than disadvantages.

Looking forward to the next installment. :D

I feel bad that I have to repeat what others have said, but it is complete truth.
Very good update! ..again.

There were some Dalmatian general who wanted to join Remus before he decided going to Rome. Where is he and his troops now that Remus needs them?

And of course Selenus...all depends on his decision. Whether he joins Remus or Suomar? Not that I doubt in Remus adeptness to defeat them both, all at once if need be, but to join Remus would be better for both of them. Much less manslaughter.

As someone pointed out before me that this situation may lead to Britain, I started to wonder when this story reaches Britain.
I personally would like if Remus get to throne and then he and his successors would conquer all of Europe and lands beyond. And somewhere in the middle there would be a little action on the islands.
But this would be boring and I know the Met has much better and surprising way to lead the story to Britain.

Hmm, Remus' defeat of Theodoric has finally removed the Ostrogothic presence in Italia and that could contribute to his hero factor, I suppose, but it's left his army weakenned and Suomar with no other enemies to face. I think Selenus and his army are the key; if the join with Remus then the rebellion will succeed, if they stay loyal to Romulus the usurper will be forced to flee. The fate of the Western Empire certainly does hang in the balance.

Go Remus. I don't give much for Soumar's chances for victory, though one never know for sure. However don't forget, the Ostrogoths may be defeated, but they are still a very real threat. Remus needs to win (or get defeated :p) quickly, if things get drawn out, the Ostrogoths may return and take advantage of the situation.

Ouch, I missed the updates when making my comment. How very sloppy of me.

Remus defeats the barbarians and now face Suomar, who are marching. I sure hope Suomar will face severe desertions of entire units to the other side, hopefully in battle. I also still hope that the Dalmatians will show up at his flank forcing him to surrender to Remus.

I am suprised that he can keep his troops in check when Remus and Claudius are on the other side.

Great set of updates as usual.

VILenin said:
Hmm, Remus' defeat of Theodoric has finally removed the Ostrogothic presence in Italia and that could contribute to his hero factor, I suppose, but it's left his army weakenned ....

I agree and Im not too sure it was wise for Remus to crush Theodoric ...since as u put it is had weakened him with only the less than tangiable gain of increasing his HERO appeal ...(which ofcause MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be a deciding factor when it comes to the loyalty of Selenus and/his old veterans under Suamars command?!?)

However, had he started by decidedly crushing Suamar ...which as far as I understand it has a much stronger force than Selenus ...then Italy really would have no choice but to rally to his banner since his force was the only one that stood between Rome and Theodoric's barbarians?!? no ? - "just a though"

claus

ps: OH AND GREAT UPDATE !!! (when is the next one?) ;)

I read everyone questioning just whom Selenus is going to through his support behind, but I just wonder who the troops are going to support. Not Selenus', they'll follow him into Hell if need be after Sicily. No, I'm wondering about the troops in Suomar's army. They will clearly know of Remus' defeat of the Goths, with an army smaller than their own, and will also know of his decision to go after the Goths rather than them. And finally, they at the core, are still the army that was built by Remus and Claudius and then wasted by Suomar. Could we possibly see a turning of alegiance? It happened before why could it not happen again?

Thanks all! I'm planning to write some more this weekend, had a nice RL delay with my car breaking down...again. Anyhow, with VJ indisposed, I'll be taking up the coming battle in the next few scenes. Not sure if I'm getting old, but how many of the readers ever watched 'Spartacus'? The final battle scene is always something I have in my head when I write these battles. I love the slow inexorable approach of the Roman army and its precision. Good stuff, even if it is 1960. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtfIcX28z8

Draco Rexus said:
I read everyone questioning just whom Selenus is going to through his support behind, but I just wonder who the troops are going to support. Not Selenus', they'll follow him into Hell if need be after Sicily. No, I'm wondering about the troops in Suomar's army. They will clearly know of Remus' defeat of the Goths, with an army smaller than their own, and will also know of his decision to go after the Goths rather than them. And finally, they at the core, are still the army that was built by Remus and Claudius and then wasted by Suomar. Could we possibly see a turning of alegiance? It happened before why could it not happen again?
That would be Remus' hero appeal coming into play, if it works out that way, which would be increased by his move against the Goths. Creating discord among his Roman enemies seems like the only advantage he can draw from it, but will it be enough to overcome the losses he's incurred? If a (relatively) bloodless victory can be engineered I forsee Remus' standing in Rome skyrocketing.

Just watched the scene from Spartacus on the link provided; nicely done battle! :cool:

I watched Spartacus before, and yeah, those Romans knew how to suppress the chaos of batle ;)

Avernite: Certainly hope so, the story is coming to its climax.

Elias Tarfarius: If it's difficult to tell where Selenus will jump, then I'm satisfied. I didn't want to give him an obvious choice. Hopefully that comes across...

Lord E: I think Remus' move against the Goths was a way of putting off the inevitable struggle against another Roman army. Though now he still has to face Suomar.

Fulcrumvale: We shall see!

Chief Ragusa: One wonders if Suomar lost some of his usual aggression in his struggles against Theodoric, or maybe Remus' cavalry simply stymies him that much. Interesting parallel there about Leuctra.

Darks63: Nice way of putting it...one wonders

stynlan: I don't think Romulus would want to be in his own shoes either. :)

alex994: Yeah I don't think either Claudius or Remus appreciate the political element of a possible victory.

Stuyvesant: I know, it's hard to fathom Selenus not supporting Remus. I've tried to come up with some plausible rationales. I think the next update gets into it a bit more.

von Adler: Right, Suomar is definitely not incompetent. He's John Bell Hood from our Civil War, great division commander, mediocre corps commander, poor army commander.

boehm: It was a huge risk for Remus to move against Theodoric first. The only he could've pulled it off was Suomar being distracted or paralyzed.

Draco Rexus: Very shrewd...the troops have about as much say as the generals.

VILenin: True, Remus has serious appeal. There's still the core of Suomar's army that Remus built and Claudius refined, particularly the elite Calor unit. You actually have two hero-mechanisms coming together. One army that cheers him as "Aquilinus" and the other as "Dux Calor". I think the infusion of so many raw levies actually helps Suomar as it adds more troops not specifically loyal to Remus and company.

Deamon: Interesting, I don't think I explored a Suomar-Varic relationship much though that would be a very intriguing dynamic. Suomar was more of Romulus' creature though I never had him speak to anyone except Selenus and Claudius, never showing him in Rome. So nothing's real definite about his origins. I wouldn't be surprised if Varic did have a hand in his rise.

---------------------------

Sorry about the delays, gentlemen. I'm working things out with VJ for him to continue his storylines off-site, so things will keep progressing.

ums0.jpg

It was an age old ritual for any soldier marching into an occupied camp. The veterans would turn out on both sides of the Via Principalis to stare grimly at the newcomers, measuring them and seeing if they rated the derision typical of raw soldiers who hadn’t yet seen battle. There had been many such columns lately until over half of the camp boasted the untested and green. It was one of the few disruptions to the long monotony. When the latest band of soldiers approached, the veterans didn’t immediately break into their taunting shouts, encouraging their new comrades to return to their mothers or giving them lurid details of what to expect in the next fight. Some of the wounded would show their wounds with mean grins, inviting the young recruits to see into their future. But not these…

The vacant eyes told the story, and no one could deny these had seen plenty of fighting. Their armor was mixed and tattered unlike the remainder of the Roman army. Against the bronze and scarlet accoutrements of the Roman contingent, these were decked out in faint hints of what might have been blue and gray, if the equipment hadn’t been so disheveled. Older veterans could still remember those uniforms during the bitter battles against Donatus and Odoacer’s armies. These men wore Italian armor, which told everyone who they were. General Selenus had arrived at last with his own veteran army. Merely three thousand, all told, yet they had almost single-handedly liberated Sicily from the Vandal foe. Indeed, the Italians were measuring them in turn and the Romans found themselves stared down just as hard.

Just inside the western palisade, the two generals stood side by side, watching the arrival in wary silence. Practicality alone made them stand there with a semblance of cooperation. Each would have enjoyed nothing better than to kill the other. Selenus felt himself carried along by events, wondering what he was doing here and why he had brought himself and his men to this point. He had grown used to a resigned obedience to Rome over the years and had known little else. His tired loyalty to Barbaria’s faction had thrust him into political places he no longer wished to be but he could not stir himself to any other course. His arrival in Rome had certainly been disillusioning. The imperial government was confident, Romulus even more so, yet it was high-pitched, hyper. Too many parties, too little preparation. They feared Remus more than they could say out loud, it was apparent. They had never gotten over the debt the Imperator owed to the general even as he had punished him with exile. And now they were reaping their reward. Selenus had felt a grim satisfaction at that. So why then, was he ranging himself on the other side of the field? Part of him felt resigned to the struggle. Was it a failure of will? No, there was something else. He knew a part of him felt the guilt for his own complacency. He had not said a word when Remus was exiled. He had let Romulus and his mother lead him by the nose to do their bidding, off to Sicily and victory for a Rome without Remus. This coming battle had as much to do with his faults as any other. Was fighting alongside Suomar Verus a form of self-punishment? What if they won? What if his own troops tipped the scales? He would loathe himself even more, he knew. Yet here he stood.

suomargu2.jpg
”So, Praetor Selenus arrives at last,” Suomar said, testing. ”I was beginning to wonder if your men would ever make it. Many wondered where you would end up,” he said with a shrewd look.

”Where shall my men camp?” Selenus replied, trying to ignore the veiled suspicion. Many in Rome had acted the same way. Romulus had promised much during his audience, desperately offering much in wealth, land, and even an imperial wife, in return for Selenus’ loyalty to him. Perhaps hew saw Selenus as a key to victory, feeling that if he could buy him and keep him on a loyal path, a triumph was assured. Selenus was noncommittal, feigning exhaustion to avoid an answer. The Lady Barbaria’s promises had been of a different sort, and indeed when she had attempted to demonstrate, he had spurned her…to his own surprise. Perhaps the time apart had withered the youth in him. Or perhaps she had aged beyond such easy manipulations. He would pay for his indiscretion, he knew, but for the moment, he had managed to escape Rome and was free of her and her son.

Suomar smiled with a nasty foreboding. ”Certainly not in the camp? Did you have the impression that your men would remain here? Nonsense. An army from Dalmatia approaches from the east. Not Viator himself yet enough to threaten my rear. Your…Italians…are perfect for guarding my flank as I turn against Macrinus. I certainly can’t trust them in the main battle, can I?”

z6al.jpg
The insult burned on Selenus’ cheek, and he felt himself flush. Half-turning to go, he cocked a glance at Suomar, again wondering why he was here, serving the man. ”I’ll tend to my men for tomorrow’s march then.”

”Oh no,” Suomar responded with sly pleasure. ”I need you close when the time comes, Praetor. No, your Italians will have to get along with a different commander. I’ll see to it. No, General Selenus, I am placing you on the left. Macrinus is afraid to leave the safety of Mediolanum. It binds him like a chain to a post. I’ll use that against him and end it in one blow. You’ll come in very handy when we move against him.”

Selenus understood the deployment at once, even if he would have advised Suomar against such overconfidence. The left faced the enemy’s right. Many armies had a habit of placing their best troops on their right. Either Selenus was being lumped with the worst of Suomar’s army or he wished Selenus to face the hardest fighting. The general wished his death then. Would Remus command his right wing personally? Was that the objective? Or perhaps, he decided, it was enough to separate him from his own troops, to ensure that he could not move against Suomar in force.

He stood stonily as he watched his army march through the camp, to set up beyond the eastern gate, isolated from the mainy. So his men, heroes of Sicily, weren’t judged worthy enough for the coming fight? Suomar was right, of course. Someone needed to keep the Dalmatians off guard. And if Suomar questioned Selenus’ loyalty, his “Italians” were just as suspect. Madness. How could any army prevail on such suspicions? And what was he doing here? To whom was he loyal? Would he truly do penance for his mistakes by dying under Remus’ sword? He flashed back to that first meeting in Campania, years before, the farm boy and the cavalry officer on the run. Could they have possibly known then that they would face each other on a field years later, both imperial generals. Madness. Could he bring himself to kill Remus? Would he allow himself to be killed, to assuage his guilt? When the army left the camp at Brixia, perhaps in the next few days, he would discover for himself .

Last edited:
Here's to Selenus defecting...

The Italians and Selenus himself really remind Suomar of the battle in Sicily where he spurned Selenus' advice and abandoned them to the Vandals. Suomar has placed him with his weakest, newest troops in the hopes that Remus will send his veterans right over them. Suomar is also expecting Viator not to come in person and those troops not to be making forced marches. I'd hazard a guess that Viator is bringing everyone he can put a horse under and that they'll be in Mediolanum unbeknownst to Suomar.

:(

I hope those Italians defect and crush Suomar's right as he marches north, so that Selenus is the last man standing on that side and can surrender the army :D

Yes, considering that Selenus and his men have to be regarded as suspect Suomar seems to be making it easy to give them reasons to defect. Indeed, if he pushes much further Selenus could well find himself relieved of having to make the decision of whether or not to join Remus as Suomar may make the decision for him.

Suomar makes a great error in basically disenfranchising Selenus and his 'Italians'...without Selenus they have more reason to defect. They probably won't due to loyalty to Selenus. Yes, Suomar is definitely trying to kill off Selenus by putting him on his weak side. Selenus is in a very bad spot. He cannot defect from the left wing of Suomar's army....Suomar has effectively crippled the 'Italians', but he has recklessly endangered his army by putting Selenus in an untenable position. Selenus may decide to purposely command badly and therfore Selenus may have outsmarted himself and inviting defeat in detail....