• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Varic. Dead. :(

Let us all mourn now that the noble Patrician is dead. Rome is surely doomed to fall now that there is no able and loyal men left to work for its defense against the foul and wicked rebel scum, apart from our great and illustrious general Soumar... ;)

I very much liked that. It forced Remus to make the choice he's been dreading for so long, without making him out to be the power-mongering scumbag that would be so out-of-character for him, while at the same time illustrating the general incompetence of Romulus' reign that does need to be replaced.

His hand forced, Remus finally did what should have been done so long ago. Even though he is wounded you can definitely feel his sense of....accomplishment really isn't the word. Satisfaction is closer. But in the end as has been said. The die has been cast and the end result will prove.....disastrous for the empire. Remus will likely win the 'civil' war. But the end result is to devastate and depopulate the Italian pennisula and decimate and then some the imperial armies.

At least that is seemingly what could happen. There is just some undercurrent that seems to be screaming at me that this story is not yet coming to a conclusion, but when it does....it will prove to be....sad. I hope I am wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but I get a foreshadowing of doom. Kind of like when the Byzantine Empire came back after retaking the City after the sack of 1204, but in the end there was doom in 1453. I sense something much like it here.

Mett, please tell me I'm wrong....

I can’t say I’m surprised, but…okay, I’m surprised. Even if Varic had succeeded he would have left a full legion at Rome’s doorstep and have pissed off a solid majority of Rome’s military leadership at a single stroke.

Remus just has to kill the custodiae and Romulus, though Regulus and his barbarian regiment may have already done that. and secure Rome and accept the Imperial purple. Remus is now ready to be Emperor. If he lives long enough, Anastasius may name him successor to the Eastern Empire, if Zeno doesn't name him heir, too. He may found a dynasty that rules over the restored Roman Empire.

Being Remus, he will accept the position of Patrician from a grateful Senate.I think he still thinks he has work to do in the Gauls before he can take a sedentary position in Rome. He may find that the girl from the City shows up expecting to be wed to the Western Roman Emperor and he is forced/tricked to marry her. Barbaria will still be a force to be reckoned with in Rome. As Partrician, thanks to Odoacer, one third of Italia will become Remus' personal property.

I can see Remus' Eagle and his army being busy, partitioning Theoderic's realm between Italia and Illyria. Passing through ome on its way to drive the Vandals from Sicily. Returning through Rome again, en route to finish off the Burgundians, Franks and Bretons and rounds off the campaiging with a decisive victory over the Visigoths that clears them out of Gaul, gives Remus one third of Aquitaine as his own and the title of Prefect (Gauls, Spain and Britain) of the West. His subjugated barbarians call him Rex, the Roman soldiers and commanders in Gaul, Italia, Sicily and Illyria call him Imperator, his factories equip the armies and his treasury pays them. Remus will awaken one morning to the news that the Eastern Emperor recognizes him as the Western Roman Emperor.

Last edited:
Two great update has appeared while I have been away. I must say VJ’s update got me wondering, but after having read Mett’s I fully understand the pleasure that the politicians in Rome feels about this.

Remus never really had a choice, this was his destiny all along and now that the Emperor’s creature has tried to murder him Remus has no choice. The emperor has cast the die and soon there will be a new master in Rome.

Wonderful writing both of you, I look forward to more and see how all this turns out :)

Avernite said:
Now now, is Hesta blaming Claudius for Varic's death?

I should perhaps have said that the letter was regarding events in the next few updates, not just the last one we saw. Obviously it'll contain details of that, but more too. (Imagine someone around Claudius sending it off a few days after Remus gets back from dealing with Varic.)

Last edited:
Varic was never as good as he thought he was. He bet on the wrong horse, risking the entire race track (Romulus and the Western Empire) and was so blinded by his own quest to sit alone on the horse that he would not see that it was sickly.

He alienated Rome's finest General when he did not need to. Why turn up when he was wounded to spite him? Why work so hard to kill Remus (informing the Burgundians twice) instead of playing him.

I think Varic thought himself far more competent than he was. He played both sides from the start (Remus and Odoacer) and then placed all eggs in one basket, always the bad choice for a schemer. He might have been what Rome needed to stabilise the Imperial rule, but he was too narrow-minded and too incompetent for the long run.

It has been some time since I last posted, but I have read every update, glued to the screen, trust me.

Now, we only need Selenus adopted and hier to the purple, and all will be well for the western Roman Empire. :D

Varic dead and Remus finally pushed over the line. Awesome, simply awesome. Rome would well tremble with dread, or joy, at the sound of Remus' marching army. Outstanding!!!

Darks63: Indeed, took me long enough...;)

Victor1234: Alas, poor Varic, enough mischief for one story.

Severance: Hmm...ok...:)...indeed the Sassanids may eventually be concerned about the West, though for now it hasn't affected them much. Indeed, Zeno's failure to take Dalmatia (with Ostrogoth support), has distracted the Eastern Empire from their Persian wars.

Deamon: Thanks, always glad to throw readers off balance.

alex994: Oh yes, not quite finished. Suomar lurks, Theodoric is still intact and Selenus?

Chief Ragusa: Indeed, a last move by Varic, whose fear finally got the best of him. Naturally, he hadn't told Romulus, which I hinted at during their last conversation. I think he tried too hard to savor the moment rather than doing the deed, which is why he failed in this. Zeno just died, so now Anastasius rules, which might prompt him to treat the West nervously. It'll be interesting to see if Remus' hard edge means he will play nice with the East or will he carve his own path. Still, much legitimacy to be had from Constantinople.

Stuyvesant: Another group of chess moves on the Italian board, then we'll see if Remus deals with Romulus in Rome at long last.

VILenin: I think there was a hint of the delusional when it came to Romulus and Varic, each desperately trying to pretend that the general was irrelevant to imperial politics.

Spothisto: An ominous choice of words, sir. We'll see...

Vincent Julien: A long way since a snowstorm visit, Varic and Remus.

Avernite: Can't say Remus' road was easy...:)

Lofman: Alas, your barbarian scenario will continue to be polluted by Romans, East and West, it appears. :D I might work on the next portion of the story based off the latest 476 scenario. Thanks for continually updating the work! :)

TC Pilot: Thanks! I appreciate that and thought it well put. It had to take a moment of sheer rage to break Remus from his stupor. It reminds me the end of Colleen McCullough's "The Grass Crown", when Gaius Marius, after his third stroke, becomes outright vicious when he retakes Rome.

Amric: Well, I can't tell you one way or the other, of course, but you know how I hate to have things nice and easy. Lends a certain authenticity when success is bought at a high price, especially in this particular what-if. I'm glad you caught a whiff of gloom...I like to give this story a hard edge, even in its happiest moments.

Fulcrumvale: Yeah, this was a moment where Varic let spite get the best of him, choosing to attack when he could've done what he always did, staying the background and strike when the timing was better. I think Remus' failure to die in Gaul unnerved Varic very much so.

Lord E: Thanks sir! Yes, I admit I enjoyed killing off Varic...tying some of the loose ends up, I suppose. ;)

von Adler: Interesting, I've never really looked at Varic from the perspective from being over-confident and not living up to his own hype. I suppose there might be some truth to that, a victim of his own success as time went on. Certainly, his last fatal ploy was clumsy. Selenus would be interesting as an heir...will this come to pass?

Draco Rexus: Well said, 'dread or joy'. :)

cthulhu: Well, at least you found justice, even if your hopes for a Republican restoration remain. :)

remus3gg5.jpg

Word of his return had spread faster than his horse could gallop. Sentries, glimpsing his dust cloud from afar, had passed the news down to the army camps outside the walls of Mediolanum. By the time he had crested the last rise, his army was drawn up on three sides of a square, awaiting his approach in perfect parade-ground formation. They stood quietly in their ranks. Each man, from the officers to the lowliest rankers, wondered what Remus’ return meant. That he had survived cheered them, since his sudden departure had surprised all and had given rise to worried mutterings. Yet each knew that he brought momentous fortune with him, and all stood ready to follow wherever it took them, be it as rebel, liberator, or otherwise. He had brought them discipline, self-respect, and glory in the field.

The officers stood in the center of the square, the senior commanders in the Aquila assembled near a small garrison contingent. In front of this stood three men: Classicus, the legion’s Exarchus and Remus’ second-in-command, Claudius, commander of the Mediolanum garrison, and Maximinus, officer and representative from Comes Viator in Dalmatia. Each stood grimly as they watched Remus’ horse slow to a trot, then a canter, and finally to halt in front of them, in front of the entire army. His bloody face spoke volumes, and soon no one believed he had been greeted as a liberator.

He slowly eased himself off of his horse, his aching wounds catching up with him at last. With a determined grunt, he straightened and approached with as much dignity as he could muster, glaring down the beneficiarii who attempted to aid him. His troubled walk was not the admission of weakness he feared, yet it caused a slow boil to spread through the army. There was a slow stirring in the ranks as discipline fought with the soldier’s desire to yell, to shout for news. Remus’ eyes, however, were for Claudius and Maximinus, who watched him silently with shrewd calculating looks.

remus2dm6.jpg
Finally, after a protracted moment, Remus felt some of his composure slip and with a slow shake of his head, he look downward for a brief time. ”The Empire is dead, Claudius.”

In spite of the vast assemblage, the echo carried far enough to slip through the ranks. Now the muttering broke out in earnest, until at last each primicerium was able to silence their men. There was an edge in the air, however.

Claudius smiled slowly, and shook his head in return. ”You are the Empire, general. You always were, from the moment you took command.”

Remus felt some of the old caution return, and had an instinct to argue the point, but his soldiers settled it for him. Like a trumpet piercing the silence, the cry went up, at first from a single trooper. ”Aquilinus!”

The wave broke at last, all the tension released in an instant, there being no chance for the officers to stem the tide. ”Aquilinus! Remus Aquilinus!” The shouts spread quickly through the ranks and soon the entire army was shouting as one. Echoes from the distance showed that the city garrison had caught on. Even the officers were joining in, Classicus with them, only Claudius and Aurelinus looking on in bemused acceptance. Remus was fortunate that the caked blood hid his flush, and he could feel the effect of his soldiers’ devotion race through him, giving sanction to all that he now contemplated.

But he would never have the chance to reveal his plans. There was no need. First a knot of legionaries took up a new cry, which contended with and then joined and supplanted the cheers. It was an echo from a distant heart of Italia, as if the bones of old stirred with its sound. ”Aquilinus Imperator! Imperator! Imperator!” The ranks broke, the men racing forward to surround their general in a vast circle, screaming their defiance and loyalty. ”Imperator!” The cries transformed the army’s gladness for their commander’s return to something far greater. Like the legions of old, they acclaimed their leader, not for a battlefield triumph, rather for something far bolder.

Several Germans broke away from the main body to raucous cheers, some of the Alemanni who had served with great effect in the last campaign against the Franks. They brandished one of their great shields and without a word, set it low to the ground in front of Remus. Some recognized the tradition, and even those who did not, they understood in moments. His hesitation had perished with Varic’s thrust.

eagles232xv0.jpg
Remus stepped on to the shield, using his remaining strength to balance himself as they slowly raised him upward. The circle dissolved as the army mobbed their general, their leader, their declared emperor. ”Imperator! Imperator! Aquilinus Imperator!”

selenus6gi4.jpg

A cry carried on the wind, and Selenus glanced behind him. A bird? The coastal winds carried much with their echoes, and Sicily was lately home to many cries.

He had come up to the top of the hill, ostensibly to watch the Vandal ships depart. In reality, he simply preferred the solitude, taking only a single guard with him. The bitter headwinds off Lilybaeum were a balm for his inner turmoil. His officers celebrated their bloodless triumph, the unexpected surrender, the capture of the last port in Sicily. In exchange, Selenus gave leave for the garrison to return to Africa. Though no treaty was signed, the present Vandal war was all but over.

Selenus knew his small army had had little to do with the triumph, though he had no wish to dampen his men’s spirits. The Vandal garrison still outnumbered his own besieging force and it was a siege in name only. There were no engines to speak of and they had a tenuous supply line at best. It was the steadily growing fleet, with its liburna latina, or triacontor, which had won a signal victory off Gela and was soon contesting the waters off Lilybaeum. More important were the rumors drifting across the waters from Africa, where the Berbers had apparently ambushed a portion of the Vandal army and now threatened Leptis Magna. King Gunthamund was nervous enough to surrender Sicily for the time being in order to protect the heart of his kingdom.

He knew the effects of his victory, and he listened to the officers and magnates’ glowing accounts with furtive interest. Yes, Sicily would once again become a Roman granary. Yes, the Imperial Navy had recovered from the brink of irrelevance. And yes, Sicily’s capture meant that Sardinia and Corsica would soon wither on the barbarian vine. Yes, Selenus would be a rich nobleman. None of this, however, comforted him. Which is why he had come to this desolate point, to clear his head, to think of what he must do.

The letter still lay crumpled in his right hand. No other person had seen it, and only a few even knew a courier had arrived. In time, they would. Perhaps tomorrow, he thought. Give the men a night of feasting and fraternizing with the local population. Then he would divulge what Romulus had written.

eagles233kd5.jpg
He gazed absently at the cloudless sky. Remus had lifted him from insignificance. He had instilled in Selenus a reverence for the Empire, a deep loyalty. It was Romulus and the Empire he now served, was it not? Was it not the Empire for which he had recovered Sicily? Then what did that make Remus? What would that make Selenus? In frustration, he kicked at the rocks, sending a few small ones crackling over the edge, into the waters below.

z6al.jpg
He glanced at the nervous guard, and smiled weakly. Just as quickly he turned somber, not sure if he wanted the man to answer. ”How do you fight a father?”

Last edited:
Alea iacta est. Very fitting for Remus to be acclaimed in the traditional manner by his troops. Hopefully a true Roman revival can now begin.

Aquilinus Imperator!

Just whom does Selenus regard as Father? Theoderic is still to be fought.Verus' army to be brought to heel. Being aclaimed like that has serious implications for the Alamanni tribal confederation. He could have just ingeriteda German kingdom. he'd be expected to take a wife from the tribe.

Well done to Selenus for liberating Sicily. Can Gunthamund survive this debacle? To whom can Romulus look for support? The custodiae were loyal to Varic. Hey are now no more than a mercenary band for hire. Selenus? Romulus really expects Selenus to fight Remus? The man's mad.

Aquilinus Imperator! Romulus didn't order Varic to kill Remus? Oh my, this could be interesting to say the least with everyone thinking he DID tell Varic while he didn't. I wonder if Romulus will survive long enough in Rome to get captured by Remus...

Remus is acclaimed by his troops, which is good. Even better is the fact that Remus himself finally accepts and embraces his destiny. Not so good, as others have pointed out, are the loose ends in the form of Verus and the Ostrogoths.

I see that Selenus is torn between his loyalty to the abstract concept of the Empre and his loyalty to Remus. I hope he won't dither too long, it would be foolish in the extreme if he truly cast his lot with Romulus.

Oh, I liked this:
And yes, Sicily’s capture meant that Sardinia and Corsica would soon wither on the barbarian vine.
Selenus MacArthur? :)

Super update. Soon that idiot in rome will be gone.

The eastern goths won't be much of a problem I think. The roman armies facing them will probably defect. Cladius is reinstated as commander and holds the line in the north will Remus either drives south or attacks the goths.

It would be a pity if Selenus sided with the loosing team. Although if he dithers long enough it won't matter, since Romulus would be long gone. If he acts quickly and sides with Remus, great. If not, well that's a poor career move that will cost the Empire alot.