• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So now Selenus just has to wait and pray for the fleet (oh, and survive; that usually helps).

Director: I think the Gela ambush was where his service with Remus came in handy. Though he lost, he certainly picked up tricks used in the running skirmishes in south Italia, back when he was just a farm boy. At Syracuse, it's his service with Claudius at Ravenna that'll be effective, only this time on the defense.

Chief Ragusa: Good insights. I read up on the Vandals and didn't find many examples of a protracted siege except of Hippo Regius in the 430s...at which they had to abandon the siege due to starvation in the ranks (though the Romans died out and the city fell anyhow). So, I think the Romans might have a traditional disdain for the Vandals' abilities, despite having lost North Africa, Sardinia, Corsica, and most of Sicily to them. ;)

Draco Rexus: Indeed, if Selenus succeeds here, Romulus might finally allow him to return to Rome. :)

Fulcrumvale: I think he'll try to do more than wait. He knows that most of the warships of any kind in Italia are barely existent...the few galleys he used for supply when they first landed in Sicily and a few warships such as the one Suomar took, which Romulus uses for the defense of Ostia and his own personal missions.
Lord E: Selenus is coming along nicely. I think he still has to work out where his guilt will fit in with his future, but for now he has much else to focus on.

obscurauq8.jpg

”Lactuca was an unfortunate mistake, Imperator, a vegetable deserving of his very name.” There were some mild chuckles at the Senator’s witticism, easing some of the strain in the conversation between Romulus and the Imperii faction head. Genucius Dives was practical, influential, and steady in his plotting, all qualities which had endeared him to the imperial administration. With so many military threats to the weak Empire, north and south, a firm hand in the Senate was desperately needed. Now if only the young emperor would cease this obstinacy, Genucius thought wryly, glancing around the chamber with fixed diffidence.

Romulus’ private reception chamber, the camera obscura as it was known in social circles, was a failed attempt to intimidate the visitor. If anything, he thought as he awaited Romulus’ reply, it made the emperor as uncomfortable as his guests. The lack of lighting and the cold stone made servants stumble, the inhabitants cough, and the levity, well…nonexistent.

Romulus stared stonily ahead, trying not to glance in either direction for counsel. Varic and his mother, neither of whom would trust the other alone with him, would see his slightest look as a mark of favor and preference. And so would the others, the courtiers hanging on every imperial gesture. If only he could clear the room of all of them! But then…he craned his neck in distraction. ”Senator Lactuca will live out his miserable life in Brindusium, the silly labes populi.”

Genucius laughed appropriately as required, without real spirit. ”A stain on the public, indeed, Imperator. Yet indicative of the problems we face in the Senate. There is no Princeps Senatus and there won’t be as long as Arcadius and the praestiti are in opposition to Sicily.”

”The Senate is meaningless,” Romulus snorted, oblivious to the open insult to his invited visitor. ”The institution,” he said soothingly, ”is a quaint anachronism.”

dn9y.jpg
”Vero,” the Senator replied, inclining his head. ”It is unfortunate that the anachronism plagues the Imperator so, what with how often you speak of the Senate.”

The barbed shot struck home, and Romulus’ expression colored. ”It is so. And how should we deal with the Senate then? They oppose Sicily at every turn. They screamed for action against banditry in the south. So I recalled Suomar and what happens? The so-called praestiti bark at me like rabid dogs…the emperor has abandoned Sicily! Suomar is a heavy-handed barbarian! Selenus is a useless snowflake! To say nothing of the Gothic horde,” he snapped, suddenly rising from his small throne. Genucius flinched, waiting for the anticipated tirade.

Surprisingly, Romulus cooled as he paced, but did not sit down right away. A small compromise, those in the room thought gratefully. ”Arcadius and his young pup are the least pulex in this city. The Bishop breathes down my side of the Tiber. He’s in Syracuse’s pocket, I assure you. Why else would I have consented to Selenus’ command? Claudius dithers slower than Fabius Maximus himself. If Ravenna falls, he’ll be completely outmaneuvered. And then what?”

For the Senator, it was an easy question to answer. Recall Remus Macrinus and squash Theodoric between their armies like a pulex indeed, a barbarian flea. Many in the administration shared this thinking, but no one dared voice it. ”These are difficult questions, Imperator, not easily solved.”

romulus3gx.jpg
Romulus wasn’t finished, however. ”My Roman brothers in the East would love to see me brought down. And this latest farce…Zeno honestly expects me to marry this…Tita, sight unseen?”

”I’m told she’s quite presentable, Imperator,” Genucius replied mildly. A cough came from behind Romulus' throne, though no one ventured to ask Lady Barbaria if it was purposeful or not.

”Presentable. One says that about an ox on market day, Senator. Not about my future bride! Am I to receive the dregs of the eastern court then?!”

”An imperial princess is a great honor and would do much to ensure your legitimacy in eastern eyes---“

Romulus waved him off, his eyes flashing, a clear danger sign. ”You’re very good at reciting Annaeus word for word, Genucius! I’ve talked enough with the young upstart, mildly throwing Zeno’s words in my face! Eastern eyes?! Have I a care for eastern eyes? If my generals would just win, if the people would just keep quiet, if the Senate,” he said, pointing at Genucius dramatically, ”would simply bend to my will then this Empire would have no need for eastern eyes. Each speech against Sicily only pushes us closer to the eastern leash!”

A fair point, the Senator thought, though he wished it had been spoken earlier, without the bluster. ”Thus we return to the question of the Senate. Imperator, you need an organized voice there. Relying on a dithering non-entity as Lactuca only made our opponents laugh. The man’s voice squeaked, in God’s name, Imperator!” He put his own frustration into the last. Senator Lactuca, for all his loyalty and wealth, was one of the worst orators in the Senate, rivaling perhaps the young Regulus. After being literally brought to tears by the latest praestiti speeches, he had fled the chamber. Romulus, in his surprising mercy, had left the man alive, exiling him to southern Italia and obscurity. Genucius was then brought in to rescue imperii fortunes, a daunting task.

At last, Romulus deigned to sit down, perhaps accepting some responsibility for that last debacle. Lactuca was his man, after all…Varic’s man, to be more precise. Perhaps that accounted for the barbarian’s unusual silence. ”So be it, and the vegetable is gone. What then do we do?”

Genucius spread his arms with due deference. ”You need a Princeps Senatus. And Rome needs its Prefect restored.”

Romulus smirked. ”And to no surprise, you wish to be Prefect.”

”Only if the Imperator deems me sufficiently worthy,” Genucius said simply, bowing.

”I should hope your…contributions…will merit the posts.” None needed to speak of a specific figure, though it would indeed be sufficiently ample. The imperial coffers were a greedy maw. ”Prefect I can readily grant. Princeps Senatus, however, is co-opted by your peers. How do you intend to persuade Arcadius and the rest to go along?”

”Co-option works both ways, Imperator. And Arcadius befits a tradition worthy of the Princeps of old.”

They both shared a mild laugh, not as forced as before.

Last edited:
It seem the young emperor is having troubles in Rome, well maybe now with a new Princeps Senatus that actually supports Remus, although in secret, but maybe more action will happen in the empire. It seems like Rome has lost faith in Selenus though, so let us hope he can show that he is much better than they think

Add in theattemptsthey and the Eastern Empire made to regain thoselands and the disdain was a cover for Roman failure.

Hippo Reggius was an exception. The Vandals usually got into places without that much trouble. Inside that city was Comes Boniface and 10,000 of the toughest troops in the Western Empire. They had been allies, but a n assault by 40,000 Vandals could have left over half of dead - waiting them out and suffering starvation losses was the less expensive option. They wanted a capital and might not have had much of it left standing after one of their assaults. Syracuse's fishermen and grain stores make seiging an impossible option for Gento. He has not got the food to wait for a messenger to get back to his city, find a ship and locate the Vandal fleet and bring it back. Then there's the prospect of agents from Syracuse rousing the peasants in revolt against their Vandal overlords. Gento's got to make at least one assault before he goes home.

The sack of Rome, by the Vandals was less than 40 years ago; many Senators would remember their visit quite well. ome's million citizens need the grain from Sicily and Africa (Vandals) to survive.

Romulus is having Senatorial difficulties. He seems to have picked a decent chap. I suspect Lady Barbaria is orchestrating the happenings in the Senate.
Her silence about the arrival of the eastern princes speaks volumes.

The prefects are, if I recall, the City Prefect responsible for the City of Rome and the Prefect of Italy, Illyria and Africa responsible for those three dioceses and seeing that their Vicars are doing their job. That much of the territory is in barbarian hands is no excuse for bureaucratic failure!

Tyrants have never sat easily on their thrones.

Yes, I am sure the Empire would do much better if everyone did as Romulus asked. Yep. Very much so. :rolleyes:

:D

And Selenus seems to have been confirmed as commander of Syracuse, which must mean this update is some time after, and Syracuse is still holding. Sounds good :)

It seems like Selenus, once he's gotten over the shock, is beginning to realise that he has to stand on his own two feet. So it happens.

As for events in Rome, well, my opinions on Romulus are only confirmed. The man is an idiot.

The future bodes well... just so long as Romulus remains cool-headed...

Seems like most Romans just wait for Remus to come back and drive out that dimwit Romulus, however for now thaey have to live with him. Good news that Theoderic hasn't been able to take Ravenna yet, but Claudius must hurry, if Ravenna is in Theoderic's hands the road to Rome is open for him.

I see things getting uglier and uglier in Rome, almost like an apple rotting from within while the insects gnaw on the outside working their way inward. Not a pleasent situation to be in. But sure fun to read 'bout! :D

I'm thinking that the way things are going in Rome, Romulus’ reign may not have that much of a future, either an end at the hands of members of the Senate, or from the generals in the field returning to set matters right. Then again, Romulus may grow up and turn things around. But I'm not going to put money on it or hold my breath, as it'd be a loss both ways, eh? :p

It's rather hard to comment when you have a vague idea of what's coming, :D but anyway:

Genucius is very savvy. He has a grudging respect for the Senate but is also highly politically aware. He's opinionated and self-assured. I think he's going to be a big problem in the future for opponents of Romulus.

Lord E: Well, Rome doesn't really know Selenus...and those who do, like Romulus, underestimate him. He's come far though, so we'll see how he evolves in a protracted siege. He has some of the scholarly dedication Claudius has to siegecraft, and a historical bent that might serve him well at Syracuse.

Chief Ragusa: Ah, thanks for the insights, this is why I like your comments. I edited the past post to reflect some of the nuances going on with Roman perceptions of the Vandals.

Fulcrumvale: True, and they often sit for a while due to the harsh measures they invoke...;)

Avernite: Well, Romulus can at least hope for obediences. Yes, it's probably a couple months after the last Selenus update, as I'm trying to move time along a little bit.

stynlan: I can't say I'm surprised about your opinion of Romulus, it's popular among the readers. Yes, Selenus has an interesting future ahead of him.

AmbassadeBelgie: Not sure about the cool headed part...Romulus is just a bit too young, luckily not as bizarre at Nero or Caligula but certainly exhibiting hints of that.

yourworstnightm: Very true, and it sounds like you'll enjoy the coming update, or be disturbed by it. :)

Darks63: Thanks very much!

Romulus: The big problem with Romulus' reign is that it was created entirely at the sufferance of Remus. Remus had this fascination with tradition and legitimacy and so wanted an emperor with ties to the last western rulers. He could've very easily taken the throne for himself and held it with force of arms, or dispensed with the imperial crown altogether, but it would've been a quicker book and that just wouldn't be Remus. :)

Vincent Julien: Indeed, now jump in with your stuff, I'm caught up now. And now we've clarified that there was only one city prefect Rome and then a praetorian prefect (praefectus praetorio) of Italia...so I edited the past post to just the city prefect, the praefectus urbanus.

r9kv.jpg

June – December 489

Having little wish to pursue a protracted siege of Claudius’ army in Mediolanum, Theodoric quickly came to the conclusion that his Roman enemy would need to be contained and outmaneuvered instead of rooted out. It was apparent that Claudius had made a dangerous compromise for, having conceded the field and gambling on the Goths’ need to protect their rear, he had opened the heart of Italia to direct invasion. Should the Ostrogoths pursue their own gamble, the entire peninsula would lay exposed. Only aggressive campaigning would disrupt Theodoric’s plans, and aggression and inspiration were qualities for which Claudius was not known.

claudius9wv.jpg

Claudius ‘Bos’ would live up to his reputation

By early 489, the Gothic army, numbering just under fourteen thousand, had taken up positions astride the Flumen Addua east of Mediolanum, Claudius’ abortive offensive of the previous fall having met defeat at Pons Aureoli. The Ostrogoths had occupied Bergomum just before winter set in and Gothic cavalry was approaching the outskirts of Cremona. Claudius, in classic defensive posture, had extended outposts in an eastward ring, fortifying Ticinum northward to Modicia. Focusing on his defense of the third city in Italia, and having to husband his nine thousand soldiers, Claudius did not place Roman garrisons along the Flumen Padus, a deployment his foe was quick to note. Wary of turning his back on Claudius, Theodoric was nevertheless encouraged by the capture of Cremona in May. With the Padus crossings so close, the entire course of the Via Aemilia was now open. Rather than marching back the way he had come, along the lengthy course of the Via Postumia and then south towards Ravenna, the Via Aemilia would provide a direct route to Ravenna and serve to block Claudius’ attempts to protect the imperial capital.

Also encouraging to the Gothic king was the news from the south where Rome’s second army, under Suomar Verus, was bogged down in Sicily, leaving unimpressive garrisons protecting the great Italian cities. Romulus, who to Theodoric remained an insolent young pretender, was protected by a few thousand untrained guardsmen, primarily showpieces. Capturing or driving out the western “emperor” would be a coup of great proportions for Theodoric and would certainly please his master in Constantinople. There were even encouraging rumors of civil dissent in Rome over high taxation, conscription, and frivolous imperial spending. The moment was thus ripe for breaking the campaign wide open. By June, Theodoric was ready to act.

eagles197fb2.jpg

Theodoric’s campaign, summer 489

Leaving only three thousand warriors to hold the line of the Addua, the Ostrogoths completed a risky crossing of the Padus. Within two days, Claudius would receive reports of the investment of Placentia. His road to Ravenna was now cut off. Rather than await the fall of Placentia, Theodoric left covering forces there and at Cremona, using the well-maintained Roman road to advance quickly on Parma. The town was assaulted in mid-July, falling quickly to Gothic arms. Claudius now faced many options of maneuver, all of which called for qualities he was not quick to embrace. He could march eastward and attempt to trap Theodoric in Italia. He could also march on Cremona and the Gothic detachments nearby, where he would enjoy local superiority with decisive numbers. Claudius, however, chose the option the Goths were counting on. Leaving two thousand legionaries to protect Mediolanum, Claudius took the direct route for Placentia, waiting until news from Parma before committing himself to this course.

By mid-summer 489, the Gothic army was loose in Italia, and the peninsula fell into a panic. Demands for soldiers poured into Rome, each community along the Via Aemilia in particular demanding reinforcements for their weak garrisons. Claudius’ work in methodically reducing Ravenna had now opened the city for occupation. Romulus’ policy of stripping local contingents to increase the field armies, meanwhile, only added to his general unpopularity. And there were simply no soldiers to spare, as he had no wish to call off his Sicilian campaign, considered to be his “pet war” by his opponents in the Senate.

Theodoric followed up his success at Parma by taking Mutina in August and moving on Bononia, the last major settlement between his army and the drained marshes west of Ravenna. Claudius, managing to insert himself into Placentia, found that a few thousand Goths were more than enough to stall his advance at the Trebia.

eagles193ub9.jpg

Gothic cavalry was effective in threatening Claudius’ rear, slowing his advance

Worse, Gothic cavalry enjoyed great success in threatening his flanks, cooling his enthusiasm for a rapid march. The war had been quickly transformed from static to mobile, shifting the initiative decisively to the invaders’ favor. Bononia’s fall at the end of August completed Theodoric’s masterly summer campaign, and his columns marched confidently on Ravenna. Without its swamps, its walls still broken by the earlier siege and assault, and lacking any naval defense for resupply, Ravenna’s plight was hopeless. Rather than expose a strong garrison to capture, Romulus opted for a token defense, a move which elicited howls of protest in Rome. The Custodiae would be used to protect the current capital and not the old.

By the autumn, as temperatures began to cool, the cries from the Senate became too much even for the indifferent young emperor to bear. On the pretext of curbing banditry in southern Italia, Romulus recalled Suomar Verus to Rome, just in time to rescue his favorite from an ignominious reversal in Sicily. Unfortunately, the general came without troops, a move quickly seen as a political gesture. The pressure continued to mount yet still no troops were released from Rome. In perhaps the climax of the summer crisis, the fall of Ravenna released shock waves in the capital. Emperor Zeno withdrew his embassy, ostensibly due to the threat to Rome and his envoys there, though it was also seen as a tacit rejection of the western government. Conspiracies abounded in Rome, and Romulus’ paranoia came to the fore, cracking down harshly on dissent. Only the threat of proscriptions curbed open revolt.

Romulus’ prevarication gradually began to pay dividends, however. Fending off enemy horsemen and ambushing a Gothic column near Cremona, Claudius was at last able to resume his advance, forcing his way across the Trebia and moving deliberately in pursuit of Theodoric.

eagles194ky5.jpg

Claudius’ march down the Via Aemilia involved a succession of contested river crossings

The terrain however, favored the defense, with a procession of rivers crossed by narrow stone bridges. With each crossing, Claudius had to choose between a frontal assault or waiting days to find an outflanking ford.

Fortunately for Claudius and Rome, Theodoric slowed his advance as his warriors marched further south, perhaps hoping that his occupation of Ravenna would produce a bloodless victory or remaining nervous about the approaching Roman army. Owing to the need to reduce the garrison at Farentia, his army reached Ariminum only in late September, encountering the first stiff defense of the campaign. Using naval crews as manpower, the strategic town was able to fortify itself, fending off multiple assaults by the Ostrogoth warriors, and keeping Theodoric away from Fanum Fortunae and the Via Flaminia, the road to Rome.

eagles195vj5.jpg

Theodoric contemplates the defenses at Ariminum

Ariminum also bought Claudius the time he needed to retake the towns along the Via Aemilia. Stalled, the Gothic king now needed to watch his own flanks, with a large portion of his army screening Claudius from Cisalpine Gaul south to Picenum. With each league he advanced, there were detachments to leave behind, reducing his effective fighting force. At Ariminum, he no longer possessed enough soldiers to force a decision. Settling in for a siege, Theodoric effectively conceded the initiative back to the Romans.

anvx.jpg

As winter set in, both armies moved into camp, Claudius at Mutina and Theodoric outside Ariminum. 490 would surely see the decisive clash and with the outcome centering on Rome’s ability to reinforce Claudius, it was evident that the campaign in Italia could be decided on battlefields as far off as Sicily and Gaul.

Last edited:
Romulus isn't quite as naive as his enemies think. He has a fair idea just what survival means and needs. The Imperii faction holds the Senate, even if they had to show various Senators the quarters they will be using should their speeches not moderate and used troops to disperse mobs before they grew to a threatening size.

Claudius' tactics are not appreciated for the skillful use of troops that they are. He can reclaim the Romagna whilst an isolated Theoderic succumbs to winter, hopefully a long and harsh one, outside the gateway to the road to Rome.

I wonder if there's a connection between the Senator's exile and the presence of rebels in the South. Suomar Verus had better quickly suppress the bandits and march north to reinforce Claudius.

Well, not that I like Suomar, but now he's sure needed. We don't want Theoderic take Rome. Would be a shame to rescue Rome from the claws of Odoaecar just to lose it to Theoderic and his wild horde of Goths.

Wow! Two thumbs up!

I had contemplated using Medieval Total War in my AARs too, but never got around to actually doing it!

Nice, can't wait for the next update!

Claudius is the perfect gneral for this style of warfare. Too bad Remus' style is much more effective if succesfull.

That kinda is the breaking point: If you don't do it well, Remus' style is an easy road to miserable death. Sort of a risk/reward, and Claudius knows he can't risk anything, or Rome falls and it's over.