• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
shakehead19ps.gif
When this AAR started I was rooting for Romulus. Now I actually wish for Remus to return with an army and end the upstart's reign (and of course taking care of the odious Varic).

Or even an Byzantine invasion... :(

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Romulus is doing what needs to be donein Rome and cannot affordto have a wealthy senator oppose him. Varic is more than likely to benefit from the late Senator's immense wealth, but may not use it quite how Romulus would wish him too. Romulus will be blamed and not his man, for the murder. It should make the Senate acquiescient - for a time.

Remus, may want a Visigothic army to help relieve Soissons. They may not want to interfere in a fight between two former allies who, a quarter of century before, had defeated Euric.

Ah... Romulus. Tsk, should have known. The kid can't handle real and true criticism in all his immaturity. What a pity, what a pity for Rome! Ruled by a man who can handle nothing above sycophancy! How can the proud state survive such turbulent times controlled by fools as it is?

A possible question is, did Varic truly act for Romulus, or did he act on his own initiative? In the short run, the Senate should be less likely to oppose Romulus, which is in his favor. But in the longer run, murders like these tend to gel together the opposition. Rome has seen its fair share of Emperors overthrown once the opposition became too strong, no matter how ruthless or bloodthirsty the Emperor in question was.

So, is Romulus just so short-sighted that he doesn't realize he's sowing the seeds of the whirlwind, or is Varic already plotting against him? I think that Varic feels confident that he can remain the power behind the throne, regardless of who occupies that throne. He'll do whatever suits him best, such as killing an influential Senator with great wealth. Varic will get at least part of the money and Romulus will get to deal with the backlash. Possibly resulting in more opportunities for Varic to dispose of some enemies, acquire some more wealth for himself, until eventually Romulus will fall, having outraged his opponents one time too many.

Romulus is way out of his depth here and, barring some amazing and speedy military victories, he can't last much longer. Or can he?

PS: Mett, in my last post, I was wondering how old the Imperator, Romulus Augustulus is. Seeing as he still seems stuck in petulant teenager mode... Though it's of course nice to get a more precise idea for Remus, as well. :)

Last edited:
Either Romulus Augustus is extremely incompetent, or he's on the road to becoming the worst tyrant since Nero. I'd wish that Selenus or Remus would launch a coup, building up political capital. I'd want Caludius, but, as I've said, he's too apolitical.

Historically, Romulus Augustulus was born around 463 making him around 26 or 27 currently. Without information to the contrary, we'd have to assume he is the same age in game. Perhaps Mett can write a suitably over the top set of birthday celebrations for him, now he's acquired the money, and we'll find out for definite.

Romulus has one final weapon to keep the Senate in line, other than terror, and that is the family from which he will select his bride. We know of the Imperii senatorial faction supporting Romulus but nothing of their true political program or even if they have one.

Can’t say I think much for Varic and the Emperor’s methods. It seems like all people that have supported Remus and disagreed with the Emperor might be at danger since they kill the leading Senator, Varic is willing to kill anyone he feels it is necessary to take care off. I think that Remus in time shall have to kill this creature of the Emperor or I fear that Varic will kill Remus when he understands that Remus is not just alive, but actually fighting and hopefully winning the war in Gaul. I fear this might just be the start of Varic’s terror and that Rome might face several more murders…
Looking forward to see what happens next, I hope we shall return to Gaul and see what Remus is doing now. Have a nice holiday Mett, looking forward to an update when you return :)

Again we see the young would be Emperor doing something stupid. I agree with cthulhu, I can't wait for Remus or the Eastern Empire coming in and taking the young idiot off the throne! :mad:

What I most wonder about...

Where is Barbaria in all this? Shocked onlooker, true instigator, happy to go along?

She is, I think, the third important power after Romulus/Varic and Remus/dead chap. How she responds likely determines whether Romulus has a huge backlash or a cowed senate before him.

Disappointing... I'm wishing more and more for a humiliating death for Varic.

My guess as to how things turns out involves Remus reconquering all of Caesar's old haunts (Gaul, maybe some incursions into Brittania), then leading a veteran Gallo-Roman army across the Rubicon to take care of things, at which point Romulus (with all his legions except his personal bodyguard mucking about in Sicily, Illyria, Spain, or wherever else he manages to piss off) will have no choice but to flee and eventually concede defeat (or get assassinated while looking for support in Byzantine Egypt). But that wouldn't make the story very original, would it?

I think Stuyvesant has a great point here: the fact that Varic is perfectly capable of taking care of his own matters. In fact, if anyone is a tool here, it's Romulus for Varic. The most interesting thing about it all is that the other top schemer around in Rome, Lady Barbaria, doesn't seem to view him as a threat or rival for influence. That's kinda uncharacteristic for her if you ask me.

Regardless, what we have here is a Rome that goes on blissfully with its petty intrigues, while great danger looms ahead. It doesn't look very good for Rome...

Pirate Z said:
Regardless, what we have here is a Rome that goes on blissfully with its petty intrigues, while great danger looms ahead. It doesn't look very good for Rome...

Ofcourse, Rome wouldn't be Rome without intrigue. However, when Theoderic turns up with his Ostrogoths, people will be pleased they have new fortifications manned by newly raised determined palace guards. Then they will remember Senator Markus who wanted them defenceless against this threat and rumours very unflattering about the late Senator will begin to circulate and Romulus, for the moment, will be quite the hero.

My guess is that Varic had a grudge against Odoacer and has one against the Goths. He may be the son of the Patrician Ricimer, a barbarian by birth, whose plans to reinvigourate the western empire were curtailed by his murder.

Rome's battlements are far too elaborate and far too large to be defended in good detail by the small forces that would be available to the Empire in that event. Remember, the Walls of Aurelian circle the whole city, which makes for a very thinly spread defending force. No, if Rome shall be besieged it is already too late...

Each of Rome's 33 wards has their own defenders. There are 6 cohortes of city guards. There are the private guards of the Senators. And the geese are quite formidable defenders. There is a population still of 100,000 to draw from. Theoderic is not expecting any defenders at all. Even if the population is not particularly military, they can still look as if they are. The city only has to hold out until Claudius arrives.

Rome's main problen is its lack of food. When the Goths besieged Belisarius in Rome for a year, about 90% of the population starved to death. The city did not fall. Romulus needs to have the warehouses full and a strict rationing system worked out before the Ostrogoths arrive.

"No call for speeches, Senator. You simply die knowing the Imperator's…displeasure."

Some things never change do they? A senator being assassinated in Rome was the norm for quite some time. And of course we don't 'know' who's behind it. Some have suggested Varic doing the deed for his own reasons but that doesn't feel right to me. Barbaria is another possibility but we don't have enough information to see why she would be involved. I'm afraid that Romulus is the best bet. It would fit his childish aversion to anyone who opposes his imperial wishes. As to Theoderic trying to take Rome I'm not sure it's the best strategy to leave an enemy army in your rear. Tends to play havoc with your logistics..

Joe

Boy, am I glad that I discovered this AAR during summer vacation. It’s long, but so utterly captivating that I didn’t notice that I had spent 4 straight hours reading it. A brilliant performance!

It is amusing to read the offended replies of some of the readers. This is fifth century politics after all. Do you really think Romulus, after finally gaining the absolute power of a Caesar, will be willing to share it with the decrepid institution that is the Senate? Who cares about the roads or the filthy waters of the Tibrus, anyway?

I think the biggest question is whether Varic killed Markus on his own initiative or whether Romulus actually ordered the death. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if Varic did it all on his own without Romulus knowing about it. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Varic goes and tells Romulus exactly what he did, almost daring him to do something about it.

Romulus has already done nothing about Varic before. It would stand to reason if he finds out after the fact that he does nothing again. Then again, if he DID know before hand that he would do nothing anyway as it would have been his idea.

Roman politics are indeed brutal. Par for the course for the time period. No problem there. However, there SHOULD be some kind of outcry about a Senator being gutted in the streets. Regardless of the fact that he was in opposition to Romulus it would be prudent for the Imperator and his staff to make some kind of stink about the killing. IF they do not, then suspicion will automatically fall upon him. Which is another thing that will likely in the end help Romulus get toppled. Eventually.

Great stuff as usual, Mett...

Yes, to echo some others, I am seeing a possible need for Remus to restore Rome...yet again. Varic is a nasty piece of work - we knew this. And it is not surprising to see such actions in this setting. But one wonders what good it will do in the end. Romulus does not strike me as one that will be able to hold power by force alone, and his mother won't be around forever to handle the more "persuasive" needs of his rule.