• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We know that Romulus doesn't like his mother, but does he not like her for the right reasons? Iis he aware of her schemes? I can't see a happy and productive reign for the boy: he's banished his most valuable military leader, he's planning an ill-conceived war in Sicily, his mother is plotting - at the very least parallel to him, at worst directly against him - and Varic... Who knows what Varic wants? All I know is that he can't be trusted, and Romulus is far too dependent on him.

Either the war in Sicily will fail, or Varic will desert Romulus, or Remus will return victoriously... Either way, I see a miserable end for Romulus Augustulus.

Lady Barbaria is showing an unhealthy interest in poor Selenus. I really do hope she's not planning on marrying him and using him to overthrow her son, but until proven otherwise, I can't dismiss the notion. Her scheming and ambition show Romulus to be the bumbling fool he is.

Do I smell a hint of compassion for Romulus? For, we all know, the boy brought this all down unto himself, what with his arrogance and inability to digest the fact that he is simply not as good as some other men... ;)

My best guess is that Barbaria will try to rule through Romulus, by weakening his position so much that he has to do whatever his mommy tell him to. She's probably already working behind the courtains in his court.

He could just run her through and be done with her.

Though what does she want with him, I wonder? Rome's best and favorite general going off to save Imperial Gaul, and a new rising star in the ranks of Romulus' army perhaps?

I sense a civil war.

Draco Rexus: Ok, I wasn't sure what you thought of Barbaria. :D Yes, Selenus in active war command should be interesting, poor guy.

Amric: Nah, every story needs one manipulative female to stir things up. ;)

Petrarca: Well, could be against her son, could be contemplating her own power base, we'll see.

Storey: Excellent, glad to hear it!

yourworstnightm: True, I need to give her some positive, bland scenes to trick you guys.

stynlan: I think Selenus wants some rest, Remus back safely, definitely a library, and not sure beyond that...

Lord E: Well, at least you have faith in Selenus' assumed military abilities!

Avernite: Whew, you're thinking ahead! :) But good thinking...

Darks63: Another good question, though if you asked Barbaria, she'd preen about her own Roman lineage.

cthulhu: Thank you, sir!

stuyvestant: Can anyone not named Remus and Selenus be trusted? :)

Pirate Z: Probably the first whiff of compassion I've sensed in the comments yet.

TC Pilot: Nah, running through would end the story too fast. Civil strife definitely seems likely, depending on what happens in the near future. We shall see!

gallic0mt.jpg

Remus bent over to get a better look at the wound, delicately pulling back the man’s clothing, trying through burning eyes to see through the muck and blood. Even his military experience seemed of little use, and he couldn’t bring his mind to bear on the problem. For his own part, Arenius stared at him simply, ready to solve it for him.

”Don’t be a fool, general. Let me keep my sword and you and Gillenus press on. I can give the Burgundians some fun for enough time for you to get away.”

Shaking his head slightly, pretending not to hear the reality in his companion’s voice, Remus bent over and sniffed, unable to completely hide the frown that came over him.

”It’s rot and you’ve known it since you’ve first looked at it. You know better to let sentiment get in the way of war. You told me that once, remember? In the Alps?”

forest7bw.jpg
Again, Remus ignored him. Around him, the trees swayed briskly as the western winds swept into the alcove where they were taking temporary shelter. The clouds begin to ominously clog the skies, a sign of approaching rain. Finding some relief in the inclement weather, he also dreaded travel in such conditions.

He heard footsteps, and swept around, hang on his pugio, to find Gillenus jogging up the pathway. The man held up his hand, sucking in a quick breath. ”So far, no sign. The wind is playing havoc with any dust clouds I might see, so I can’t be certain. We need to press on by nightfall.”

Arenius grimaced and tried to sit up for a moment, a complete failure. ”Your decision is made then, general. You two need to be out of here by dusk. Let me hold them off---“

”Will you stop being so damned noble!” Remus suddenly barked, unable to catch himself. The trio hung silent for a time, neither wishing to disturb the forced silence. Around them, trees growing their fresh spring coat of leaves added noise to the emptiness around them. Remus tried to look away from the gaping wound, still fresh from where the Burgundian arrow had torn a horrible gash in Arenius’ right shin.

It was his fault, he knew. Insisting on getting Celeris to safety and swinging so cursedly far west around the city. It was too much time, too much exposure. Even the midst of civil distress, some warrior with a mind had sent out a patrol. And they had been dogged for days now, adding twice the length of their intended journey into Gallia. Already the days were growing hotter, and Remus feared missing the climax of the Syagrius’ campaign. Or worse, he corrected himself. He was certain they’d killed six, maybe seven of the warriors, but their numbers never diminished. Somehow, that morning, they’d used a quick fog to slip away, but he knew they were out there, waiting.

”Let’s go,” he suddenly spoke, waving Gillenus forward. ”Get him on his horse. We’ll try that notch up there, leading northwest through the hills. If we can skirt around, hug the east bank of the Liger, we can get to the source of the Sequana in two days, yes?”

Gillenus frowned for a moment, bending reluctantly over to pull on Arenius’ lapel. ”Perhaps, but I don’t know all the trails this far south. It’d be taking a big risk, general.”

”You’re already taking a risk dragging me along,” Arenius growled.

”Tace!” Remus shouted at him again, helping Gillenus to roughly light his body up, struggling to strap him on top of his tan mount. ”No, if we keep to the main road, we run right up into Chilperic’s lands near Augustodunum. He’ll know of our escape, and we’re worth just as much to him as his father, or Godegisel.”

gallia17kb.png

After finishing tying Arenius up to the horse, he stepped over to mount his own horse, an unruly mare he hadn’t bothered naming. He hadn’t expected to last this far, he thought to himself. Gripping the rope to Arenius’ horse, he tugged it gently and they began trotting up to the far end of the culvert, where the path he sought began.

Nobility of spirit can kill a man, but it can also drive him on. When you get down to it Remus would not have lasted this long if he hadn't that spirit. And on that map it looks so close. Of course, I doubt the Burgundians would respect the border...

Darks63 said:
Is Vienna in the wrong spot? And Lutetia that is Paris correct?
The Vienna on the map is Vienne, a French city. It should be there. :)

If they can all make it to the relative safety of Gallia, it'll be the stuff of legends: Remus, the general who never gives up and never leaves anyone behind. But I fear that he will still have to leave Arenius behind somewhere down the road. It sounds like his wound is too severe, will slow them down too much.

And why is Remus so certain that the Burgundians will still want to capture him alive? The way he and his party escaped, by simply walking out of the Burgundian camp, must be very humiliating to these warriors. It seems to me that Remus is getting too optimistic in his desparation.

But I might well be wrong. Maybe I've become too pessimistic in my assessment of Remus' abilities. :)

Glad to have another update, even though it mainly leaves me hankering for more. ;)

They are dogged, these Burgundians... what could they possibly want with a rogue general from a state they view as decrepit and done for? I'd have expected them to give up earlier, what with the civil strife and all.

It took me a moment to realize that Arenius wasn't actually the name arsenic for some odd reason. I had to keep rereading it and realized my error. Very nice update, although I must have missed something. How did Arenius get wounded in the first place? Describing the battle or fight that had happened in would have been nice. Oh well.

I'm not surprised Remus had to keep adjusting his route of escape. Dogged pursuit tends to do that. He has just been lucky that his pursuers are spread out so much. The little amounts of men seeking him are probably just a small part of a larger group spreading wide their 'net' to catch him. Pity he can't use a boat and use the river to outfox and outmanuever his enemies. He'd also get further away faster.

Still a very good update, Mett....

Well, Remus is clearly showing that he's a soldier's commander, doing whatever it takes to keep his men as safe as possible for as long as possible. Again. All he needs is for some bard/poet/minstrel to sing his praises and he'd beginning to gain a reputation of heroic proportions.

But first he needs to survive long enough to get out of the Burgundian lands. And I have the feeling that is going to be no easy task.

Nice update Mett. Good to see Remus take care of his men, but I fear that in the long run he might need to leave him behind if they aren’t able to reach Gallia soon, because if they are captured by the Burgundians once again I don’t think they will have a nice time… Looking forward to more :)

stynlan: Remus' spirit is getting stretched, which is the impression I'm hoping to advance. The Burungdians are going to be busy infighting, and might not worry about crossing borders just yet.

Darks63: I felt kind of weird using Vienna, but the Latin name is the Latin name. ;)

Petrarca: Thank you kindly.

Avernite: Close...almost there!

Stuyvesant: Well, I guess Remus hopes they'll be captured alive, not killed outright. You may very well be right. But his legend will have to wait and see what he does in Gallia.

Pirate Z: The Burgundians were tipped off about Remus' coming to Gaul, which is why he was captured so quickly after entering their lands. Gundobad knows a little of him, having campaigned himself in Italia against Odoacer, so he knows about his neighbor. Remus has something of a reputation, so capturing him or killing him woudl be a plus.

Amric: Ah well. :) I tend to skip ahead sometimes with each update to progress faster, and sometimes I miss stuff readers want to read about. There's many things in the story I didn't flesh out. Hopefully the story still bears out nicely.

Draco Rexus: Remus is a bit busy for bards presently, but he is a good commander. In the story he started small, leading basically a group of ten horsemen, so he has that attention to unit detail even as a commander of great armies, or in this case, two other men.

Lord E: It's a tough call. Part of it is sentiment, part of it is Remus refusing to admit he's actually lost one of his men, trynig to will them into Gallia.

gallic0mt.jpg

They halted over the next rise, their horses abreast and facing the expansive landscape that opened before them. The meandering Liger continued to flank them to the west as it slowly turned northwestward, edging past the unruly ground which gradually smoothed out as it moved into plains burnt brown in the harsh sunlight. The temperatures had risen in the past weeks until it approached the uncomfortable and, forced to wear the scraps of armor they had stripped from dead pursuers – much of it too big or too tight, they agonized under the summer heat.

Remus wiped his forehead and looked around, feeling the brief sense of optimism he always felt with each new vantage of the lands ahead of them. And it inevitably turned to discouragement when it revealed more of the same, the broken lands of the Liger basin.

”Fire.”

Gillenus’ voice brought him back to the present, and he swept over the flattening terrain and looked eastward, where he caught the unmistakable wisp of smoke. ”Campfire then. If we’re gauging the direction right, Augustodunum will be off behind that hillside there.” His companion nodded, but said nothing.

Studying the down slope, Remus looked to the horizon and tried to…”I think it’s my eyes. That glistening almost looks like the Sequana.”

”Impossible, it’s leagues off to the north, another day’s ride.”

Remus nodded, admitting the truth of it. They were close, but not yet, and he couldn’t let his hopes deceive him. Not when they were almost into Gallia. He squinted. ”That looks like a narrow dip across the plains there. I think we need to follow it towards the river source. Might help us keep out of sight.” Scattered copses of trees formed the sparse vegetation in this area, some of it sitting close to his intended destination, perhaps denoting ground water.

They began to ride carefully down the slopes, twisting back and forth across the soft grass, trying to reduce the grade as they slowly descended to the plains. Their horses were almost spent, he knew, with perhaps one good dash left in them. They had to save them until they absolutely needed it. This region was scarcely inhabited, a consequence of no government. The Burgundians surely drove out the Roman farmers, and their own people had yet to settle, leaving the land to decline. Each isolated farmhouse and occasional villa they encountered was ransacked. The isolation was in their favor as they tried to escape, though there wasn’t any civilization in which to blend in. It was a risk, and a necessary one.

horseman.jpg

”General!” Gillenus whispered harshly. Again he pointed towards the wisp of smoke, only now Remus caught something far more ominous. The sparkle was unmistakable. ”Spear point.”

”Vero. But Chilperic or Gundobad?”

Remus shook his head. ”Does it matter?”

”No, but general, they’re going to cut us off if they see us.”

His hands tightening on the reins, Remus gently kicked the flanks of his mount, who began to trot a little faster. Gillenus followed suit. ”The horses won’t make it,” he said.

”I know.” He gained speed and, almost at the same point as they spotted the Burgundian column in the distance, they broke into a gallop, Arenius’ mount trailing mounrfully, hampering their speed.

They had to reach the opening of that wooded dip before the patrol did. It was their only hope of cover. Gillenus having to pull along Arenius’ stubborn horse made things worse, but fortunately they had spotted their foe first, and the warriors were only just matching their speed. It would be close. Remus gritted his teeth and prayed, a rare invocation to aid him. His beliefs hardly ever carried into war itself, and his plea was brief and to the point. God would help or he wouldn’t.

The two dust clouds converged as each party broke out into the open, the burnt grass giving the horses good purchase. Almost there…

Now he could hear the distant cries of the enemy warriors. They smelled blood. So did he, but he had to get to the trees first. Dismount, secure Arenius in a safe spot, and then turned to fight. In the tight constraints of trees, horses were useless and he and Gillenus could improve the odds. Five? No, six warriors! They would have to get their first, and make the first kills quickly. Surely this was the end then.

It would be the height of loss, Remus thought amidst the pain in his thighs and the warm air fluttering past, to die forgotten in the desolate emptiness of barbarian Gaul. What a waste of destiny…

Cubits short of the first trees, he felt his horse’s right leg catch and the mount pitched forward, taking rider and baggage with it. Somehow, Remus tucked his shoulder just enough to roll as he hit the ground, his legs awkwardly flailing over him, propelling him away from the weight of horseflesh that surely would have broken him. With a grunt, his body skidded to a halt just in front of his horse, now on the verge of death. Without a thought for the mount, he struggled to his feet, hand on his sword. The barbarian weapon was crudely smithed and off-balance, and he longed for his semispatha, lying forgotten in Gundomar’s lost camp no doubt.

Gillenus had reached the trees, his horse somehow using its last strength to save its rider. Remus began to race to the trees, and looked over his shoulder at the approaching warriors. The six were bearing down fast now, five of them bunching further behind the leader, who was coming straight for him. The leader then.

No time for it then, he told himself. He continued to run, taking occasional looks at the Burgundian captain. Almost there...the trees were tantalizingly close. But not enough. His foot stumbled and Remus hunched over. He could hear the thundering hooves…how far? His hand switched hilts.

The agonizing battle cry raged in his ears. Close enough then. His hand gripped his pugio and he spun. The throw was off, but not by much. Slicing the warrior’s shoulder where it lay exposed near the neck, the leader grunted and struggled to hold himself on the horse. His charge thrown off, Remus raced to the trees, earning just enough respite..

True to his loyalty, Gillenus had quickly walked his and Arenius’ horse further back into the copse, where both collapses with exhaustion. Arenius was arranged as comfortably as possible, his head leaning on his own mount, oblivious to what was going on around them. Remus stood near the edge of the trees, keeping himself in sight. He couldn’t let the enemy think or even contemplate circling around. These were proud warriors, but would change their strategy if forced to.

forest14tp.jpg
Seeing the trees, the leader had stopped some distance away, his compatriots catching up. Milling around, they brandished swords and spears, stepping closer to where Remus awaited, grinning fiercely and with confidence.

Remus spat on the ground in front of him, a gesture of defiance, and drew his sword, walking a few paces back into the trees. Come on, you filthy irrumator, he barked. An easy kill, that’s it, come into the trees. It’s just a soft Roman, nothing to fear.

With a cry, the warriors charged at him, oblivious to formation or strategy. It was ix against only one in sight. It would be over before the first swings.

Barreling into the woods, their wounded leader brashly taking the lead, they swept towards Remus, who raced behind a tree and pivoted. Coming around the far side, he caught one warrior racing past, unable to stop in time. His crude sword slashed against the man’s flank, and he went down, bruised or dead. More cries were heard towards the copse edge, where Gillenus charged out of cover, stabbing the rear warrior between the shoulder blades.

With the first kills made quickly, Remus began to gain confidence, even as he heard the bellowing of the angry leader behind him. He turned just in time to parry the falxe blade, which cut a small chunk out his blade, but threw them both off-balance. Two more warriors raced to help their leader, leaving the remaining warrior against Gillenus.

Three on one, even in cover, was impossible in the long-term. Battlefield tactics were useless in such a brutal melee, and it was all Remus could do to keep his sword up, backing up as much as he could, using the trees, to slip between, sometimes just in time to avoid a hacking blow. The leader’s strength was immense, and the blow to his neck barely slowed him down. Indeed, it only seemed to anger him. Guttural curses raged out at him, as he backed from tree to tree. He could only grin fiercely, trying to appear calm and in control. But he knew the copse was finite, and he was running out of room. And he couldn’t let the warriors find the horses, or Arenius.

Fortune smiled on him, and he managed to slip past one warrior’s guard, and pierce his arm where the leather shirt ended. The man drew back, but Remus’ success was short-lived. With a horrible slicing pain, the leader’s falxe cut into his right arm, only the extreme angle saving the limb, the blade cutting deep into his skin. Remus cried out in pain, giving immense satisfaction to his foe. He could scarcely hold the sword up, the leader mocking him as he swung his falxe back and forth, trying to bludgeon the sword aside. Lacking the strength even to swing, Remus could only take the blows, wondering what was holding his arm up. A cry from ahead caught the other warrior’s attention, who turned to hold off Gillenus’ approach. Remus turned and tried to reverse back into the copse, away from its edge, but the leader was on him fiercely. Ducking one blow, the falxe bit deep into a tree. Remus lunged desperately, gathering his strength for a finishing blow, but the man kicked him, sending him reeling back into another tree. The force of it made him drop the sword.

With a final curse, the leader yanked the blade out of the wood, glaring at Remus, his eyes like coals. It was over now. Even if he could pick up the sword, he wouldn’t have time. Gaul seemed such an ill-fitting place to die.

He raised his falxe to strike, when a shadow caught Remus’ attention, coming off from the right, landing hard against the leader, something pressing into the Burgundian’s side, causing him to cry out.

Arenius! The poor man looked even worse than Remus, and he slumped against the warrior, his one burst of strength gone. With a cry, the leader cuffed him on the head with his left arm and pushed him away, his weapon sweeping down in one blow that seemed to last too long. Remus saw it hit Arenius’ chest, and he shouted with anger. With his own last strength, he picked up his sword and barreled forward, knowing too late that the leader would meet his blow, parry, and kill him.

Even as he raced ahead, and the falxe knocked the sword clean out of his hands and he saw the malignant triumph in his foe’s eyes…which widened and then rolled upward. Both warrior and Remus slumped over and fell, one spent and the other…dead. Panting for breath, Gillenus stood over them, his sword buried deep into the Burgundian’s back.

Remus could barely keep his eyes open, grunting as the weight of the dead warrior pressed him into the earth. Gillenus, not seeming to notice, could only look at his companion, forlorn and wistful. Arenius was splayed helpless against a tree, cut open.

Even alive, Remus knew how hopeless it seemed. If another patrol caught them, they were done for. They were down to two, and Remus seriously wounded. Their mounts were spent, two surely gone. And they were still leagues from Gallia. Gillenus’ gaze seemed to confirm his fears. Finally collecting himself, he helped to pull the warrior off of Remus, and set about tending to his wound as best he could. ”I need to find water for us and to clean that wound. Otherwise the rot will set in. General, I’m afraid we’re stuck here for a time, until you get your strength back. I might be able to salvage Arenius’ horse but…” mentioning his friend’s name seemed to break him. Remus might have learned to count on them both, as comrades…but it was clear that Gillenus and Arenius had a deeper friendship than he could ever aspire to. He thought of Selenus, wondering where he might be, and wondering if he had anything approaching that with anyone. It didn’t matter, he told himself. Duty required sacrifice, and sentiment could only weaken one’s resolve. But what happened at the end if duty was no longer important?

He tried to move his good arm as Gillenus slowly dragged him away from the scene of melee, towards their mounts. They couldn’t stay near the dead horses either, if decay set in.

”I’ll be back, general. I promise.”” Remus only had the strength to nod, before falling into a restless sleep.

The images lashed at him. In glowing light, a man in light stepped towards him, his gaze unrevealing. Why do you forsake me? Even as the words were spoken, the man became…a woman? Her robes just as white, and she held arrows in her right hand. Forsake me, she finished the damning question. And she was gone. Now Remus was standing, his wounds vanished, a pair of open doors before him, glinting with precious design. Before him stood an array of…commanders, their red capes, gleaming cuirass, all with looks of…derision? One of the generals, with balding hair, held out his hand, thumb point downward. Some of the others followed suit. The doors began to close.

”I am worthy!” he shouted, suddenly emerging into the waking world, Gillenus’ hand shaking his soldier.

”General!”

Remus tried to focus, taking in Gillenus and…there were several men arrayed behind him. ”Who…” he tried to mouth.

Gillenus smiled. ”I ran into one of our own patrols a league to the north. The Sequana is close by. We’re almost in Gallia, general.”

He barely had the strength to smile.

One of the men stepped forward, an officer. ”We’ll get him on one of your spare mounts. The governor has had us searching this area since the winter. He said you and the Legatus Arenius would be returning soon.”

Gillenus nodded soberly. ”Arenius is lost, but we’ll take his body for proper burial. Treat the Magister gently. He has a terrible wound. I need to wash it out first.”

Remus’ mind began to clear. ”The governor? Is he at Soissons then?”

One of the men, with armor reminding him of his old comite, shook his head. ”He advanced his army to Laudunum…to meet King Clovis. But we’ll take you to the capital. You can mend there.”

”No.” Remus’ eyes were clear. ”You will take me to Laudunum. Gillenus---“ he said firmly.

And his companion nodded, even as he began to apply a wet cloth to the gash. Remus grimaced in pain even as he was lifted on to a horse.

Last edited:
Impressive update Mett, really impressive. I feel sorry for Arenius, but at least he sacrificed himself to save Remus and died a heroes death it would seem. Glad to see that they have reached the Romans at last, now I guess Remus will get the care he need and then when his wounds are healed he shall be able to aid them in the war. I must say I also wonder about that dream, I hope we shall one day understand what it was and how it should be understood. Looking forward to more :)