• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stuyvesant said:
Hmm. You're definitely right about the pillaging, which basically means a large chunk of my argument is gone. :) However, I still think the way of fighting is quite 'barbaric': no unit tactics, just basic man-to-man combat. And Remus hacking away at enemies, one at a time, rather than directing his army. I have to admit, though, that I don't know anything about urban warfare in that time. So possibly an unorganized brawl was simply the best one, Roman or barbarian, could hope for?

Once they break into the city organized fighting is going to be difficult. Since the defenders out number his men he needs to make sure that the defenders don't have time to reorganize and set up backup defensive lines. So the fighting in the city as Mettermrck wrote it is quite plausible even for Roman forces. :D

Joe

That would be exception, not the rule. Then there's Caesar's habit of propaganda... ;)

Pirate Z said:
That would be exception, not the rule. Then there's Caesar's habit of propaganda... ;)

I completely agree that it was the exception not the rule. You don't think Caesar would embellish the facts do you? :D Someone once said that Caesar had a talent for self-dramatization and a conception that there was something exceptional about him. Another thing to take into consideration on the accuracy of his exploits in Gaul is that he published them in 51 BCE while still alive. If he exaggerated 'too' much his enemies would have used it against him. Of course considering that he was a powerful man at the time maybe no one was willing to step forward and claim that he hid in his tent during the battle. :D

Joe

I certainly didn't expect the Mediolanum assault to ignite such a discussion, or maybe I did. ;)

SirCliveWolfe: Well, no commander can fight for years without wounds, you'd expect.

cthulhu: Thanks, that's what I was thinking. As I wrote the update, it grew more intense, and it felt like that would be what Remus would experience as zealous energy combined with frenetic combat.

Avernite: You know I won't give that away. :) Well, as indicated in the prologue, it's Claudius - this Claudius in the story - who leads that battle, some thirty years after where we are now.

Charles II: Certainly, I don't want Remus to be unscathed by all of this, success or not.

The Yogi: Well, you started the discussion on Remus' move. My take is that both sides are right. With a small army, desperately needing the military success, he couldn't trust his army to do it without, and had to lead from the front, lead by example, will his army to triumph, which of course costs him at the end.

Draco Rexus: Certainly, though one wonders if the army would attack with the same intensity if the general wasn't at the front?

CatKnight: You just want your cow back. :cool:

Darks63: Not a good AAR for barbarophiles, I know.

Lord E: Well, sometimes you gotta take the chance to win the big victories.

Stuyvestant: I think the bitter fighting helps illustrate the dark times they're living in. Even with a Roman resurgence of sorts, Italia is still hurting from constant war.

yourworstnightm: I think I was optimistic to put Britannia in the prologue. :) The way I have it in my head, there's a whole trilogy laid out, with the prologue towards the end of the 3rd book, and we're probably close to the end of the first one.

Sir Humphrey: Every great hero needs setback to make victory that much sweeter.

Laur: That's a good thought, and I actually dwelled on it a bit after I read your comment. I'm not sure if I'll go that route or not. Maybe Remus will command in the field but no longer lead troops in combat. Thanks for the insight.

Pirate Z: You said a lot of what I was thinking. Rome might've been civilized in some aspects, but sacking cities was universal in antiquity. Max Thrax is one of the generals I thought of when I pictured Remus...him, Aurelian, Marius, some others.

TC Pilot: That was the precise example in my head as I wrote it, Caesar at Alesia. I think I had just seen a documentary on the Gallic Wars on the History Channel.

Storey: Another good example, having just bought the Alexander: Director's Cut DVD, Alexander willing his army to victory at Arbela/Gaugemala. Well, granted Caesar's Commentaries have propaganda, though I could picture him in the thick of it with his army, especially when his reputation (and life) were on the line.

2Coats: Welcome! I'll cut you some slack on your subscription. :)

Last edited:
eagles4qn6.jpg

There was a certain pulse discernable in the occasional blare of the horns and the steady tramping of marching feet. The sound of sandals meeting stone provided the base rhythm, with the horns regularly adding their crowning blasts to accentuate and elevate the experience. So Selenus concluded as he stood on the balcony with the rest of the Imperial party, watching the troops marching past. These were auxilia palatinii, the backbone of the eastern army, armed with intricate shield design and impeccable weaponry and armor. They carried themselves with the no-nonsense bearing of veterans, steadily moving down the wide avenue that passed in front of the Hebdomon palace. The grand building, in west of the city along the coast of the Propontis, was clearly designed for military reviews, with easy access for the Emperor and officials to view a strong and vital army, both to reassure and to impress upon.

Each was on display this day, he knew, as more of the palatinii approached. There were several thousand at least, and his curiosity was piqued at why such a sizable force was currently massed so close to the city.. Around him stood the vast bureaucracy of Zeno's court, almost a thousand in all, trailing down from the Imperial box to an array of lesser balconies where they jostled with each other for a better view and a more prominent position versus their rivals. Few were foolish not to make the short trip of three to four leagues at their Emperor’s behest. Selenus knew that it was a high honor to be in the Imperial box, though the physical experience left something to be desired, stuffed on to the far end as he was. Far down the marble railing from Zeno and the Empress Ariadne, the jostling was in earnest.

His companion, assigned to him as a kind of guide, sensed his discomfiture and smiled reassuringly. Annaeus seemed a mirror of himself, though he had the noble birth Selenus sorely lacked. Young, thin and pale, he was at ease in a library as Selenus himself, and the two shared an interest in the great minds of past centuries and the preservation of learning. He was perfectly comfortable with the elegant silks that were in fashion at court, while Selenus was still struggling to overcome his awkwardness. In gait and height they were an uncanny pair and within days they had become fast friends. As an imperial ward of the court - rumors placed him as an illegitimate son of a now dead imperial relative, he was in a perfect position to accompany Selenus during his lengthening days in the eastern capital.

annaeus8ma.jpg
"Look," he said, pointing down the long line of infantry. "Here comes the comitatensii."

Selenus, who knew of Remus' infantry by that name, stared in the direction of Annaeus' hand, clearly unimpressed. "Oh, I've seen those before."

Reading his mind, Annaeus grinned with mischief. "Not like these…"

And he was right. Like blinding images out of the midday haze, the next units of soldiers were a far contrast from the auxilia palatinii. Gleaming in polished armor, colorful trimmed helmets, and swords that flashed proudly in the sunlight, a thousand comitatensii marched past, their mail perfectly worn, their condition immaculate, their marching precisely in step. In contrast to the dole horns of the earlier units, these were accompanied by music that was far more hearty, boasting of elite soldiers that were passing under the Emperor's gaze. Across the avenue, the crowd roared its approval, and even Selenus joined in with those around him, enjoying the moment. Unlike the rest of the crowd, however, his eyes couldn't help trailing back to the departing palatinii. Something…

"Their packs are heavier."

Annaeus raised an eyebrow and nodded approvingly. "You have a military eye, then. Have you been on campaign?"

Selenus, remembering that horrible day near the Aufidus Flumen, nodded darkly.

His friend held his gaze for a moment before turning back to the parade. "Your eyes bear the truth of it. I've never seen an experienced soldier whose eyes don't show the weight of battle."

Shaking his head slowly, Selenus laughed ruefully. "I am no experienced soldier, and what I've seen…it wasn't battle."

They stood awkwardly for a time, neither venturing to break the imposing silence, flinching under the occasional roar of the crowd. Finally, Selenus' memories had slipped enough to recall their conversation. "Those palatinii are laden for the field, not for show like these guards.”

Again, Annaeus smiled. "The Emperor is no fool. A large movement of troops through the city would attract attention, and questions. By holding a review, he can send out an army without much notice."

selenus2y.jpg
"Except from those with a military eye, hmm?" Now Selenus felt some of his color return. He knew all was not content in Constantinople, despite its majestic veneer. Few in the court wished to speak of such affairs, however.

He had spent over a month in the imperial city thus far, and although its grandeur had not worn thin, he was beginning to despair of his purpose here. Their one audience with the Emperor Zeno had been even more ritualistic than the first, and he had been so far away from them that Selenus still had not seen the man's face up close. The Senators had returned home, ostensibly recalled but certainly due to the lack of real accomplishment. Which left Addiaea, the Bishop's reclusive man, and Selenus. And as Addiaea spent most of his days arguing with the clerics in the city - something about the Henotikon, Selenus believed - it fell to him to be the sole representative of Rome in Zeno's court. Him, a farmer's son who had helped to raise cows, was now Praetor and envoy of sorts. Not so the Imperial court noticed. No official word had come down from the Emperor since that one brief audience and save for Annaeus' unexpected arrival at his side, he would have assumed that he was forgotten in Constantinople. And perhaps he was, made worse by the fact that he was far too terrified to make any inquiries. The ritual and procedures at court were so cumbersome that he scarcely knew where to begin to ask for a meal, let alone an audience.

And then there the letters, those constant, hazy, pressing inquiries from the lady Barbaria in Italia. She incessantly reminded him of his service, his obligations, and demanded a constant stream of information, gossip, and political news. Selenus, isolated as he was in the chaotic social life of the court, knew little and said even less in his replies. It was the one consolation to his isolation in Constantinople. His being apart from the machinations of Barbaria and her son allowed him to breathe again. He was more interested in Italian news anyhow, of Claudius’ ponderous investment of Ravenna, Remus’ rapid campaigning into Cisapline Gaul.

"Watch, or you'll miss the scholae palatinii." Annaeus tapped him on his shoulder and gestured towards the cavalry that were coming closer. Like the comitatensii, these were just as impeccable and imposing. Selenus' mind, however, was elsewhere. "So where would the Emperor send out troops then?"

"Shhh…" Annaeus said, suddenly frowning. "Not all of those are here to watch the parade.”

The hair rose on the back of Selenus' neck and he could suddenly feel the stares of those who were surely eavesdropping. “Ilus then?”

Annaeus nodded warily. ”Dê'pou ,” he said, his voice dropping lower. Even Selenus, who was fluent in Koiné Greek, had difficulty understanding.

eagles1299sl.jpg
”That’s Leontius himself there,” indicating the heavily armored figure then leading the cataphractoi down the avenue. ”The Emperor’s sending him against Ilus in Syria. The Empress herself tried to have Ilus killed once, did you know?”

Selenus, whose head fogged whenever someone discussed court intrigue in Constantinople, nodded indifferently.

”Of course it was back when Ilus was in favor. They say Zeno’s recalling the King of the Goths to the city.”

Now Selenus’ brow rose. ”Strabo?”

”No, no, the other one. The Amal. If Leontius fails, he’s sure to send the Goths to Syria. Zeno’s made him his magister militum”

”Like Remus then,” Selenus mouthed wordlessly.

’Yes, exactly!” Annaeus said, his eyes lighting up as they were wont to do whenever the name Remus was mentioned. To him, the western general was Caesar reborn, and his reputation was making some inroads in Constantinople.

As if fated for that moment, a guard stepped up behind him and cleared his throat. Selenus recoiled, thinking an informant had called them out, but instead the officer placed a scroll in his hand and nodded gruffly, before storming off without a word. Nervously, Selenus undid the seal, reading with mounting horror the words of the short note from Italia, about Remus and his fall at Mediolanum.

Last edited:
Dear me, how with the East react with the news of Remus' fall in battle, even if it is not fatal???

Remus pushed back and Zeno showing his force? I hope this does not suggest another enemy on Remus' doorstep.

The Eastern-Empire is showing an impressive parade of power, but if Zeno also suffers from internal troubles the need for armies are needed I guess. Well as long as the armies aren’t sent against the West it is ok, so let us hope the East will suffer more trouble and therefore see that he needs the West… Also Mett we want to know what happened to Remus, I sure hope the wound isn’t dangerous :eek:

Hmm, I'd figure that if he has sent a note to Constantinople, someone must know by now how bad it is for Remus. And given Selenus reaction, I suppose it's VERY bad :D

edit: and I just noticed this Annaeus figure, is he the same who wrote 'the lay of Remus' which is referred to in post 1? :D

Then again, if the wound was very serious or even mortal Selennus might not be hearing about it at all. Rome might very well omit such information for fear of weakenning their position further.

Nice update once again Met, there is troubble in the east.. I knew it... but what has happened to Remus? Like Caesar he will undoubtably have the best of treatment, we can only hope and pray for him. :D

Ah, good sir, you tease us! Please, let us know finally what happened to Remus ;)

Good stuff, nevertheless. You've done a lot of great research into the practices of the Roman court as it still existed in the Eastern Empire at the time. I wish I could say the same of my knowledge of court practices at the time of my own Byzantine AAR :D

Pirate Z said:
You've done a lot of great research into the practices of the Roman court as it still existed in the Eastern Empire at the time. I wish I could say the same of my knowledge of court practices at the time of my own Byzantine AAR :D

Hear, hear. With the depth of research and detail this AAR is flaunting, my own Roman AAR is beginning to feel hoplelessly inadequate; like a theater play written in later atges, as compared to the the real thing; THE EAGLES OF AVALON! This one is going to be, no is already, a classic!

Remus falling is bad news indeed, permanently or a small wound?

Hope not, I am reading George R.R. Martin atm, and he tends to let his main characters be killed at the most unfortunate moments. Nice to move the perspective to eastern Rome, letting the audience dwell and wonder about Remus fate, still. ;)

Draco Rexus: Hard to say if the East will react differently. I think the overall objective of isolating Odoacer was accomplished, Remus' fall or no.

Darks63: Well, Remus won't go anywhere near Babylon, so he should be alright on that score. :)

coz1: Every great drama needs rivalry.

Lord E: Zeno has troubles of his own certainly, always subduing this or that rebellion. You'll know what happens to Remus soon, I promise. :)

Avernite: Selenus is still that budding sidekick of Remus' who naturally is concerned for him. Oooh, nice catch on Annaeus! I was wondering if someone would spot that after a while.

VILenin: Officially, true, though Remus has friends still, like Gaius or Claudius who would probably keep Selenus in the loop.

SirCliveWolfe: Remus will be treated certainly. One wonders just how worried the powers in Rome will be at his sudden fall. ;)

Pirate Z: Of course I'm gonna tease you! I want you to keep reading. :D Thanks on the research. I've studied as I go, and I always worry that I missed something.

The Yogi: Well, I'm flattered, sir. I know you're pouring a lot of your energy into Fu Manchu, so don't sell your story short. I've been impressed by it.

Charles II: I'll second my thanks, then.

The Archduke: Well, that's quite a compliment, for I love the political intrigue of Martin. Yes, I like to keep people in some doubt about the security of the main characters' positions.

eagles1336my.jpg

March – September 484

After the fall of Mediolanum early in 484, the field portion of the struggle between Romulus and Odoacer diminished. Without major cities under his control outside Ravenna, Odoacer increasingly found himself isolated in the formidable capital, not directly threatened by siege or assault, but unable to greatly influence affairs outside the walls of the city. In addition, in controlling the entire peninsula save Ravenna, an image of increasing legitimacy was given to Romulus’ cause, a factor which did not go unnoticed in Constantinople.

Emperor Zeno’s primary concern in Italia was peace and his suzerainty. When his relative Nepos had failed, he had turned to Odoacer, and now that he appeared to be on the brink, it was clear that by 484 the Emperor was turning away from him as well. Although he would not countenance active intervention against Odoacer, neither would he countenance active support. The troubles in Syria were a major reason, where the rebellious Ilus persuaded Leontius and his army to defect to his cause. There was also the defiance of General Ovida in Dalmatia, still leading Romanized forces which were keeping the Eastern armies at bay. After months of dithering and ritualistic ignorance of Romulus’ attempted entreaties, Zeno slowly came around to a more encouraging point of view. He would leave it to the Western armies, small and weary that they were, to take down Ravenna and Odoacer if they could. He would help neither. Even this neutrality, however, was a major political shift.

By the third month of 484, shipping into the fortress city began to decline noticeably. Though the lack of blockading fleet would stymie attempts to subdue the city, the reduction of supplies was significant. After April 484, there were to be no active sorties by the defending troops. With the worrisome absence of Remus Macrinus from operations in the field, it was left to Claudius to begin the siege properly, a work of a lifetime.

eagles1309bs.jpg

Politically, the orbits of Zeno and Romulus Augustulus began to draw ever closer as mutual interest superseded all else. While Zeno sought to protect his flank and secure his position as overall ruler in Italia, Romulus had the most important self-interest of them all: recognition, which brought with it the twin boons of legitimacy and existence. Eight years of civil conflict in Italia had wearied what was left of the Roman world. In exchange for Romulus bending a proverbial knee to Zeno’s superior dignity, he would be allowed an imperial role of his own, perhaps as a Caesar or a similar position to that which Nepos held in 475. The finalization of a treaty document began to emerge as the first half of the year progressed, and it was whispered that Romulus himself would make the journey to the East, to submit in person and secure his junior throne.

eagles1312vq.jpg

There were still questions to answer, naturally. Romulus had ambitions to recover the imperial regalia once sent by Odoacer to Constantinople, and Zeno was becoming increasingly concerned by the objections of the Western clergy to the Henotikon. The squabbling between Felix III, the Bishop of Rome, and Acacius, his counterpart in Constantinople, showed quite frankly that the Henotikon had settled nothing.

eagles1321pn.jpg

Whether religious tensions would block political settlement, however, would remain to be seen.

eagles4qn6.jpg

The air didn’t drift, rather it floated and hung like an oppressive cloud. Incense stifled, it restricted, it choked, and it confined. Weighed down by this burdensome scent, he found it difficult to move on the large bed, too many layers of blankets literally holding him down, adding to the heat. He could hear flames crackling from the nearby braziers, yet all was obscured by the haze, both incense and self-induced.

eagles1345wh.jpg
His head was a fog, and everything blazed. His hands became sharp needles with the slightest movement. His feet were marble and weighed just as much. His stomach felt as if it would break in two. And the leg, oh that leg…it was if someone was holding fiery metal along its length. God curse him, would it never end! Just to test the theory that he might still be alive, he put all his energy into his hand, to produce the simplest gesture. It was nothing grand, simply the lifting of a hand, just a little bit, perhaps a single digitus. All his focus went into that, and he could feel his hand tingle with the pain and effort of it. Did the blanket shift, did it move? Did that mean he was not about to face an eternal end? He felt his head slide on the pillow, the sweaty slick hair gliding easily. He could see shadows now, browns and yellows. Was there something else in the room? Someone else?

”Remarkable how circumstances bring us to this point once more, praefectus.”

He shifted a little bit more in the bed. He knew that voice.

”Ahh, your eyes clear with recognition. Good. It would not do to have a talk without coherency. I am pleased that life is not done with you yet, praefectus.” Something about the way the man said that last word told him that the voice was not completely kind. This was familiar somehow? But from where?

”V…vari…”

The sound of soft clapping of hands greeted him, overly dramatic…sarcastic? ”Good, good. This is going better than I had hoped. For what use is the speech without the audience, vero?”

Now his head began to clear. His hands collapsed painfully as his instincts to sit up failed him. His teeth gritted in frustration and agony.

”I seem to remember you trying this before, ever playing the part of the brave officer. It suits you, Remus, even as it makes me pity you.”

”Pity,” Remus spat between short intakes of breath. ”Pity...a bar…”

Another soft laugh. ”Pity doesn’t suit the barbarian, is that it? Does my eloquence offend your Latin sensibilities, praefectus?” Remus must’ve frowned at that, for another laugh greeted him. ”Ahh yes, so you are going to stand on ceremony. Shall I call you Comes then? Magister? Dux Calor or some such? Your legend precedes you…”

If he was more coherent, he could almost see the man bow. He opened his mouth to speak, but again either his mind failed him or Varic wasn’t interested in a dialogue. ”I suppose you wonder why I am here. Well, it’s very simple, really. I wanted to see the truth of it. Had you killed yourself like the fool at Mediolanum or were you clinging to a life that is no longer yours?”

The voice seemed to diminish and Remus wondered if the man was pacing. What was this? Did the man feel this urge to travel leagues simply to gloat over the indignity of a rival? Would that he could put voice to his thoughts!

varic9zz.jpg

”Do you feel it, Remus?” And now the voice came like a hiss, Varic’s guttural origins finally betraying his own love of words. ”It slips away, does it not? History, your pathetic dream?” The words snapped, like the sharp blows of darts. ”You put all of yourself into the fight at Mediolanum…and look where it has brought you? The city would’ve been yours if you had waited. I might’ve secured the gate, bought off the governor’s guard, or the rest of your army would’ve massed…in time. And thus your impatience resulted in precisely…nothing. You gave your vitality for a dream.” There was an intake of breath, almost at fascination. ”Ah! There it goes…I can almost feel it slip away. That great dream called Rome. You helped make Odoacer’s life miserable, and for that you have the imperator’s thanks. You also brought an out-of-place dignity. Shame. For this age is wealth, power, and control.”

The waves of fever were now mixing with a fierce anger at the man. He could do nothing, could hardly speak, and could barely lift a finger. And yet he listened, and the burning intensified, just enough to give a brief clarity. ”Your envy does you no….honor,” he said, coughing.

There was a smack on the blanket, which shook him and caused him to grimace in pain as his body shifted. A hot breath hissed in his ear, and he could see the shadow of Varic looming over him. ”Don’t think for a moment that I value anything of yours. Your legend is fleeting, your contributions minor. When Romulus takes his throne in truth, what will men say of you? Nothing. Claudius will get the laurels, Selenus even. And I, of course, will receive the power. In marble halls I tread, in silent rooms I whisper, near gilded thrones I bend an ear. I will always be there, making my mark. Generals, great and small, are legion. Yet no emperor can survive without one of me.” Now he seemed to draw back, and the breathing mercilessly left his ear.

Deciding that Remus was in no condition to speak anything else, the tone of self-satisfaction seemed to return. ”When I first met you, you were on your deathbed, feverish, forgotten. How like history to return full circle.”

Remus struggled to say even a word, some form of parting shot, but his tongue refused to budge.

”Ponder that, praefectus, when the end comes.” The footsteps echoed in what surely was an empty room, and he was alone once more.

Last edited:
HA! Remus will be back I think, and more vengful than before :)

Nice to see all that patient diplomacy getting somewere at last