• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, seems like things aren't quite advancing much, despite Remus taking Rome.

Which likely means it's a looooong time before this story has anything to do with Avalon :D

Interesting chapter. Let us see what the Pope thinks of all of this. Suffice to say, Remus could find a valuable ally in the Senate (and a dangerous enemy as well).

Nice update Mett. Cool to see how Remus marches into Rome, and it will be very interesting in the future to see how the Romans will react to Remus and his army. Also one wonders what will happen when the Emperor returns… There are questions in the future, and I look forward to reading more about them :)

Once again, you deliver a great update, Mett. Even though Remus has taken Rome, it seems the real struggle will be at Ravenna. I'm very curious to see how Romulus and Barbaria deal with the Senate, when they arrive. It will definitely be an interesting show :)

Wonderful story so far, but I do have a tiny nitpick....

Erosion had taken its toll on the Forum Romanum in the past centuries. Where once the grand Arch of Septimus Severus, marking the northeast entrance to the Forum, was once approachable by a stairway, the level of the forum had fallen such an extent that a roadway had been built through the Arch in the fourth century. The temples themselves, many rebuilt after crippling earthquakes, were already showing signs of rot.

What erosion? The last fall of Rome was 476 in the real world, at least when the empire was completely collapsed. You mentioned the last thing put in there in 398 AD. Which isn't even a century between then and Remus marching into Rome. Sure, earthquakes did damage, but up until the relative end in the early 400's AD the Forum was kept in pretty decent repair. At least that is what history tells us. Or were you speaking more of the erosion as the center of Roman power and life? If so, then I apologize for misunderstanding.

Rome is more of a symbol now than anyting else. But maybe it can be transferred into a center of power and wealth once again.

Amric said:
What erosion? The last fall of Rome was 476 in the real world, at least when the empire was completely collapsed. You mentioned the last thing put in there in 398 AD. Which isn't even a century between then and Remus marching into Rome. Sure, earthquakes did damage, but up until the relative end in the early 400's AD the Forum was kept in pretty decent repair. At least that is what history tells us. Or were you speaking more of the erosion as the center of Roman power and life? If so, then I apologize for misunderstanding.

Actually, it was genuine erosion, maybe not everywhere in the Forum yet in certain aspects. I think it means the level of the ground rather than the conditions of the buildings. The height of the Capitoline changed to the extent that a road under the Arch of Severus replaced a stairwell that had been needed.

You know, rereading my information: The Arch stands close to the foot of the Capitoline Hill. A flight of steps originally led to the central opening, as they still do to the Arch of Trajan at Ancona. By the 4th century, erosion had raised the level of the Forum so much that a roadway was put through the Arch for the first time.

My fault. The hill didn't erode...the rest of the forum rose in level. I think I saw 'erosion' and assumed a drop in height. Interesting nonetheless. :) A quick edit there.

The other thing I thought of was in reading of what Alaric and Geiseric did to Rome in 410 and 453, as when I mentioned Stilicho stripping the golden doors (though he was a Roman commander) off the Temple of Jupiter or Geiseric removing the gilded tiles. Earthquakes might cause some of the stone to crack or crumble and you'd have instances of some rot in a century. I don't necessarily mean the buildings aren't intact, yet they wouldn't be pristine structures in 483. Anyhow, thanks for the input. I'm always open to making sure I get things right. :)

Here's a couple sources I'm using that I recently discovered. Fascinating stuff:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer...aly/Lazio/Roma/Rome/_Texts/PLATOP*/home*.html - Excellent detailed articles on each of the famous temples, forums, etc. in ancient Rome, including some information on what happened to them over the centuries.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/BURLAT/home.html - I just discovered this yesterday. So far, it's an excellent text on figures, concepts of government and culture, and religion in late antiquity. Very useful thus far in learning how Italy worked in the 5th century.

Last edited:
Now that Remus is in Rome it shall prove interesting to see how the Church reacts and what the remaining Senators do.

As usual, I am intrigued to the point that I'm begging for more, Mett.

Another spiffin update. :)

Amric -- remember, the Forum Romanum was built upon what once was a marsh. It needed continuous repair and supervision to be maintained, what with the enormous weight of the buildings weighing down upon such a weak underground. And, well, by the fifth century, Rome was neither the center of power nor of wealth, while the emperors had been more concerned with the matters of defense and politics than those of architectural heritage for centuries already. As such, it is logical to assume that the Forum Romanum was in disrepair and that the marsh was collapsing under the great monuments built atop it.

Well done taking Rome back, but it sounds as though the "erosion" may be more than Remus is capable of by himself. And he seems the only one that truly cares about restoring Rome's brilliance rather than personal power. Perhaps working with the Papa and gaining his confidence is the way to go.

And brilliant battle before. Sorry it took me so long to catch up, but it was great to read all that through and then see the perhaps less than exciting entrance of Remus into Rome.

Darks63: Yes, it is sad, but it's part of the appeal for me, an era where Rome barely lingers on, having fallen so low.

Avernite: Hehe, maybe I was too ambitious starting with that particular prologue. In my head, if things go well, I envision a trilogy where only in the last story, does the action move to Brittania.

Pirate Z: I've seen studying the Popes a lot, trying to get a sense for what papal traditions existed in the 5th century. One fact I just caught was that the term 'Pope' was a courtesy title and wasn't formalized until Emperor Phocas granted this title, as 'universal bishop' to Boniface III in 607. Interesting stuff. 'Vicar of Christ' wasn't first used until 495. I didn't know the Forum was built on a marsh. That explains some things.

Lord E: The East will notice, that's for sure. Zeno would be a fool if he tolerated the rise of a western emperor without his say-so and approval. Besides, fighting Odoacer flies in the face of Zeno's own arrangement for Italia.

Charles II: Yes, that's part of the impression I'm trying to get across, trying to avoid the notion that Romulus' arrival in Rome would herald a strong empire overnight with perfect success.

Amric: I appreciated your comments enough to respond indepth, as this whole era is a study in progress for me. :)

VILenin: I'm not sure. Rome right now is a city symbolic, and also one of convenience. It's the only real imperial city Remus controls. A great windfall political, military not as much.

bigdan: Glad to see you again. Enjoy, sir!

Draco Rexus: Yeah, this part's tricky. Just how civil was the Church and how powerful was the Senate? This isn't Gladiator and the 'Protector of Rome' dream...these two instutitions are fighting for scraps like civil power in the city, the role as Imperial consultant. Real power is definitely in the hands of Romulus and Remus.

Sir Humphrey: Thank you, recent birthday boy! ;)

coz1: It's hard to say what Remus wants to restore. Did he rebel because he's a true Roman patriot, or was Odoacer cutting his pay, stripping him of his service in the field, the true root? Makes you wonder...

Thanks again for the continued interest in my little Roman dream. :D Check out the new music when you get a chance. I'm trying to get away from the old 'classic' Rome sound from the epic movies of the 1950s and 1960s. I'm quite certain that most will recognize it, more so even than the original.

Last edited:
forum2wf.jpg

September – November 483

Romulus Augustulus’ arrival in Rome was not treated as a return of imperial authority since, even when he had briefly been the Emperor in the West, he had reigned from Ravenna and had never graced the old city with his presence. Rome’s sudden restoration to imperial capital derived less from its prestige than its accessibility.

eagles1160vf.jpg

This was the first major city to be seized by the armies of Remus Macrinus which possessed imperial dignity. That it was the namesake of the Empire was no small factor either. Yet its defenses had been breached often over the past century, making it a relatively simple prize for a conquering army to take. Thus, in strategic terms, possession of Rome was a political benefit but quite illusory in military terms. Despite these limitations, Rome’s fall in August 483 marked a very real transition on the Italian peninsula with the restoration, at least in name only, of the very highest imperial institutions in the West.

eagles1176ll.jpg

Since perhaps the mid-5th century, the Roman Empire had increasingly resolved upon a single unity, with control from the East of lesser ‘shadow’ partners in the West. Though they took the name Imperator and Autokrator, these ‘shadow’ emperors were increasingly deferent to their cousins in Constantinople. And after Romulus’ own abdication in 476, even this imperial fiction had been swept away. Odoacer may have been a barbarian leader, yet he was also endowed with titular authority derived from Emperor Zeno himself. It would be an interesting question to see if Zeno would prefer to maintain this tentative relationship and how he would view the sudden revocation of Romulus’ exile. Whatever imperial rule Romulus Augustulus might reestablish in Italia, there loomed even greater imperial shadow over the whole of his affairs, one that would have to be contended with even if Odoacer, secure in Ravenna, was ever overthrown.

eagles4qn6.jpg

The clapping was sustained well enough and Romulus’ entry into the Curia Julia drew far more spectators than the army had. They were present too, of course, a spearman every ten paces, lining the processional route from the Saepta up the ancient streets to where the crowded entrance of the Curia seemed to open invitingly to the imperator. Emerging from the shadow of the two great columns near the comitium, he appeared to the assembled Senate as a young man trying desperately to avoid the impression of boyhood, with straight shoulders and chin slightly raised. Perhaps the clapping was more encouragement than general enthusiasm, trying to sustain the timid will of he who had come to rule once more over them. None had ever seen Romulus before, and only the few who had survived the past seven years had even known of his rule, the distant unknown ‘boy emperor’ overshadowed by the very real and firm hand of his father, Orestes. He had never commanded an army in the field, and his name was perhaps less known than that of Remus Macrinus. Indeed, many wondered if the boy had returned, with the Comes to take his place as the newest heavy-handed general behind the throne.

curia5vj.jpg

He was there, of course, standing tall and uncomfortable next to the raised dais in the center, where the ivory curule chairs of the consuls used to be. They were all there, the officers of his staff and nearby, the pleased members of the praestiti, or the ‘diligent’ faction of the Senate, which loathed Odoacer and welcomed anything else. While supporting the imperator, they were nervous about losing any more power to their rivals in St. Peter’s. Most of the assembled were benignly wary, eyeing the soldiers, eyeing the Imperator’s mother, standing near another clump of senators, with her household behind her, including the pale young man with the nervous eyes who wondered if he was observing a collective delusion doomed from the start. Surely no one had forgotten the armies of Odoacer in Ravenna, and the even larger armies outside the peninsula, east and north. For the moment, however, all eyes were focused keenly on the parading Romulus, who had opted for a simple procession, with appropriate music and only ten or so attendants trailing him.

This was no triumphal moment, and there were sensibilities that could not be offended with ostentation. Cages of white doves were opened as he crossed the threshold of the Curia, a nod to divine blessings. A more important nod to the divine was the final figure standing next to the dais, dressed in humble white robes and perhaps more conscious of his own dignity than that of the young Imperator – Felix, third of that name, Bishop of Rome. Though he would have no official role in the ceremony, his presence was useful as a political seal of approval, though it irked many in the room that he was needed at all. Thus far, save for the small church erected on the Capitoline, the political influence of the Roman See had been thought distant by the Senate even if they felt that institution’s presence. There was also talk that much had passed between imperator and Bishop that had led to this day. Certainly the imperii, those Senators bound directly to Romulus, and who favored his treating with the Church, were delighted at the arrangement, though they were still few in number.

romulus3gx.jpg

Nodding nervously to the assemblage, Romulus at last approached the throne, turning and nodding one final time before seating himself decisively on the marble chair, which was being used as a hastily contrived-throne. Clearing his throat, Romulus searched his mind for the agreed-upon verbiage. ”Conscript Fathers!” Slaves to habit, the Senate quieted instantly, perhaps feeling a pulse of anticipation behind the traditional words. ”Conscript Fathers. By Our Lord’s Grace and Divine Fortune” – Felix nodded with satisfaction – ”we have undone the forces which forced us from this proper place.” The words echoed out of the silent house into the Forum beyond, where perhaps two thousand citizens stood assembled, a significant portion of the reduced population of Rome at that time. ”Before we stand before you, we ask our esteemed amicus, Publius Markus, to speak on this. Senator?”

markus4rd.jpg

From his space on the bench near Remus, Markus cut a dignified picture in his senatorial garb. Wearing the long-hem, long-sleeve tunica - eschewing the foreign trousers being adopted by some of the lower classes - only the traditional purple stripe around the torso and the purple belt differentiated him from the white-robed figure of Felix standing behind the throne. Holding up his hands in the accepted manner of opening an oration, he stepped forward into the well of the Curia, bowing publicly to Romulus before facing the Senators circled around them. From the traditional height of two thousand, scarcely one hundred sat in the Curia Julia, denuded by war, purges, and flight. Indeed, the size of the Senate had been diminishing gradually over the years even as the population of the city around them fell. A scant few had ran to Odoacer’s side yet many had simply been drafted into the incessant wars against the Ostrogoths, Illyrians, and Burgundians, losing their lives in distant service. It was a mark of the low regard in which the Senate was held that no replacements had been co-opted. The marble-faced building dwarfed them, a conscious reminder of loss. Markus struggled to cut through that, his sharp voice echoing off the walls, even more assured than Romulus’ words had been.

”My brethren! Seven years ago the hand of the barbarian was placed on the imperial throne de jure and Romulus, Imperator, Lord of the West and holder of the divine dignity, was made to abdicate under the auspices of this very body.” His hand was pointed dramatically at the enthroned figure, and many took the opportunity to glance at the young man once more, wondering if there was truly any divine dignity seated there. Markus sliced through the awkward pause. ”Having overcome the hand of the outsider, the oppression of the foreigner, he now returns to take up his divine office once more. Senators, I ask you, as faithful stewards of this trust, to join me in invalidating that Senatus Consultum of abdication, illegally coerced and not binding. I will see a division.” The result was no surprise, even in its unanimity. Neither was there any true power in the move, merely a simple form to give credence to the imperator’s return. The proximity of the army was far more persuasive than the votes of Senators or the presence of a Bishop. And yet, Remus thought quietly as he observed the proceedings, it was this deference to old customs that separated this rule from Odoacer’s. Didn’t it? And this was just the beginning, he knew, the easy part.

Last edited:
Awesome update, Mett. The West rises again! Can't wait to see what Odoacer tries to do in response, or the Eastern Emperor, for that matter.

Love the theme music too. Great choice.

Wow. Once again, you deliver a wonderful update. I'm curious as to how far the Senate's loyalty will hold with Romulus. By the looks of it, they would just as easily turn against our man, if the tides of war shifted even the least bit. :)

I long for the day when Odoacer has been crushed and more worthy enemies can be fought outside Italia. Great scene in the Senate, Mett. :)

Truely cool update, Remus finally has his own country.

What stats does the leader Remus have in-game? :D

Great update Mett, really nice to see the western Emperor return to Rome, great work :) I do however wonder how long it might take before the barbarians and the Eastern-Roman Empire will take action against this new power, because they might not be so happy about it…