• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
eagles4qn6.jpg

The silence seemed to stretch as the young Romulus’ eyes seemed to bore into Remus’. Selenus remained prostrated on the floor while Markus slowly returned to a standing position. No one spoke and suddenly the moment was reduced to only the pair of them, Romulus and Remus. Surely neither would miss the symbolism once they had recovered from the initial shock. Remus could see the young man’s shoulders tighten and the expectations were clear. Yet he could not commit himself so readily. He had seen two former holders of imperial power swept away by events. How foolish would it be to naively tie himself to a third? Yet was this not what his goal was all about? Here was the last surviving western emperor. Young or not, inexperienced or not, wary or not, there was no other choice. Yes? He asked himself this question and rocked slightly on his heels, unsure of how to respond. Still no one spoke. He could see Markus’ eyebrows rise, the question forming in the eyes and the harangue approaching. This, more than anything, pushed him into action at last.

He clicked his heels and bowed politely. It was a perfect imitation of his greeting for Julius Nepos, back in Aquileia when more things seemed possible. Romulus hesitated a few moments before relaxing his posture, Remus’ gesture passable if not what he had hoped for. He bobbed his head in perfunctory acknowledgment and seemed to look past Remus, towards the room where an eques blocked the doorway.

romulus3gx.jpg
”The guards are dead.” It was a statement of fact, not a question, and Remus first became aware of the high pitch of the voice, more familiar in a forum than a camp. This was clearly someone with training in rhetoric. The Latin was perfectly accented and certainly, whatever his failings might be, a lack of education was not one of them.

”Yes.” He was still unsure of what form of address to use.

Romulus continued to look past him. ”You killed them.”

Nodding slightly, Remus replied, ”Ita vero.” In truth.

As if releasing a buildup of tension, Romulus exhaled visibly and took this in, his eyes now sweeping over Markus and Selenus. At the sight of the young lad, still pinned to the floor, his eyes twinkled briefly. ”You may rise.” It was apparent, however, that he was still on guard against his unexpected visitors.

Selenus stood slowly, his skin pale and demeanor nervous. His eyes flickered briefly to Romulus’ and then darted downward as he became aware of what he was doing. To look upon an emperor directly was to court death, he recalled from his readings. At least this had been so in the days when the emperors had power.

villa20dt.jpg
The room around them possessed such immensity that the ceiling could scarcely be seen in the dim lighting around them. The wall torches cast tall vaulting shadows that presided over vast stone flooring. Assorted greenery and the occasional marble bust were placed at random, as if the builders had an aversion to empty space. Behind Romulus, in the distance, one could make out the edge of the enclosed bedding, where, Remus thought, an entire century might sleep comfortably. He wondered vaguely if this room was a feature from Republican times or encompassed Augustulus’ conception of architecture. If so, it was grandiosity taken a little too far for his simpler tastes.

”What is to become of me then?” Romulus asked. ”Has Odoacer finished with me?” From the brief confusion in Remus’ eyes, Romulus guessed the answer. Now he frowned with curiosity and a touch of suspicion. ”Then what are you? Brigands? Vandals?” Considering his guests’ attire, he amended himself. ”Perhaps not. Why do you seek me out? I have little means beyond the allotment. If you’re after gold, you shall find it in Ravenna for I have none.” His eyes tightened. ”Why did they have to die?” He spoke with an unexpected composure and Remus realized this must have been borne of his brief reign. Surrounded by ambitious adults and the pressures of courtly life, he might been expected to fail, to wither and buckle under the strain. That he had survived at all was perhaps due to some inner strength as much as his youth. It would be needed when the time comes, Remus decided.

”An unfortunate necessity, imperator,” he said, settling on a safe honorific. ”Access to your person was paramount, above even the lives of your men who sought to block our passage.” It was blunt and it was precisely the tone he wished to strike with Romulus from the beginning. As he had expected, the words visibly registered on the young man’s face, his head tilting to the right as if warding off a blow.

”I..I…s-see. But d-did…” and Romulus trailed off, some of his youth at last penetrating the screen of maturity he had placed over himself. He was barely seventeen, Remus recalled. This was far too young by all accounts and yet he was quite possibly all there was left. Indeed, Augustulus had once been factored and dismissed by Remus until the Senator had smoothly reminded him.

markus4rd.jpg
Markus cut in, at last regaining his footing in the exchange. ”Noble Augustus, you are right to be wary. We come as friends to your cause and are anxious to receive your trust.”

Romulus shook his head frantically, looking at the ground in annoyance. ”But who are you?!? You ask for my trust with blood on your hands!” He turned and began walking away, though at a slow pace. Markus made to follow, but Remus held up at his hand. They waited as Romulus walked aimlessly into the center of the room. Then he stiffened suddenly and spun on his heels. ”Is my mother safe?!?”

This came as somewhat of a surprise to them and Remus looked questioningly at Markus, who drew himself up and struggled to rectify the omission. ”Yes, the lady Barbaria. She is believed to be at residence here.” Remus eyes’ widened, wondering when he was to be told this potentially vital information. He was cut short however.

”My mother is in residence! She is due back soon from Cumae and if any harm----“

Remus returned the favor, cutting him off. ”No harm has or will be done to your mother, imperator. On that you have my most binding promise.” Inside, his mind was racing at the unexpected complication. A woman! The first such on this foolhardy adventure, if one naturally omitted the local women of comfort. Of course a young man would have a mother! Yet where would she fit into the picture? He had a lot of questions to put to Markus, once this confrontation was over. From the little he knew of the fairer sex, he was aware of their…unpredictability. He glared at the Senator.

The promise seemed to halt Romulus’ building fury, and he subsided. He continued to pace, however, and halted in front of one of the marble busts, staring idly at its features. ”Lucullus. The original owner of this grand villa. Do you know of him?”

selenus3tu.jpg
Before Markus or Remus could respond, Selenus piped up for the first time. ”Yes. Lucius Licinius Lucullus. Republican general, most of whose laurels were assumed by Pompey, I believe.”

Romulus smiled and turned to the young man. ”That is my thinking also.” The brief pleasant moment passed and he turned back to Remus, taking several steps towards him as he did so. ”All this time has passed and yet you withhold your names.”

”My apologies, imperator. This is Senator Publius Markus. This is Selenus. And I am Remus Macrinus, Praefectus Equitus.”

Above all else, titles were rarely missed by the exiled emperor and his features brightened as if recognizing words from a forgotten past. Now his expression was sharp and calculating. ”And from whom do you derive this authority?” His eyebrows arched challengingly.

”It was Julius Nepos who conferred this.” Remus eyes stared openly at the young man. This was no emperor…yet. They were two who perhaps shared similar ambitions and until then, were simply two dreamers who staked much on words.

For the first time, Romulus’ mouth curled at something Remus had said and he nodded absently. ”Like you, perhaps I cling to titles as well.” His eyes narrowed. ”This is why you are here? To cling to my title?”

After lengthy parries and conversations around his purposes, Remus at last felt the moment approach the critical point. This was not Nepos, who had led an army and was killed for it. Nor was it Glycerius, who had plotted himself into ruin. What was this young emperor’s ambitions? Were they worth the risks? The answer had been given long before, he knew. Romulus was all that was left. He did not hesitate this time, and slowly fell to his knees, bowing his head. ”There is much that needs to be put right, imperator,” he said quietly, though the echo fell more loudly than any of their prior shouts. ”Only you can do what needs to be done. I seek your blessings.”

He couldn’t see Romulus, but the young man was smiling eagerly, in satisfaction and amusement. And yet Remus’ action clearly had significance and he recognized this. Holding his hand over his face, silently clearing his throat, he felt his natural suspicions return. Men could claim much and offer even more without being true to their words. ”My blessings to do what?” he asked casually. And Remus told him. Judging from Romulus’ response and conditions, it would certainly not be easy to earn that most vital of blessings.

Last edited:
A wonderful confrontation. I am particularly impressed with the way in which you show Romulus waver between his imperial ambitions and his youthful uncertainty.

And I am only very mildly annoyed that you finish your post with an open ending, nothing really clear yet. ;) I guess it's A) only fair to make sure your readers keep coming back for more (like a pack of slavering dogs) and B) realistic that the whole masterplan to restore the Roman Empire is not hammered out in a few minutes between Romulus and Remus.

Great as ever. Not that you need me telling you that. :)

Sir Humphrey said:
Great as ever. Not that you need me telling you that. :)

Yep. :)

Now, let´s just hope Remus will be more lucky in his next battle, because it will come for sure. Although Odoacer should have problems mobilizing an army again to fight effectively in the south. Or mayhaps Remus will already be entrenched in Rome?

Excellent writing, Mettermrck, but anything else would be a shock by now. :)

Let's hope that Remus can not only put the Emperor back on his rightful throne (in ROMA, not Ravenna!) but also put a stop to this eastern and unroman folishness of postration.

No Roman crawled on his face before Augustus or Trajan, neither should Remus!

First the west THEN the east. But I guess a little cleaning up in Italia is in order first. :) And I agree with Yogi, ROME is where the capital should be.

Hey, not all my posts are about cows!

Just..most of them. :)

A good post. It'll be interesting seeing them try to figure out how to work together.

And so it begins..... I think.

In any event, outstanding writing, Mett, quite outstanding. But then again, when isn't your writing that way, eh? :D

As usually Mett, jolly good work and some great writing there. I think you are doing very well in describing both the situations and the characters, and I am sure if you ever were to publish a book it would surly become a bestseller :)

Now it just remains to see if the Emperor and Remus can work things out, and if they are able to get a working relationship. Also that Emperor is still an unsure little boy deep within, so Remus will need to give him some lesions about the way of life if they are to get things to work ahead ;) As usually great work keep it up

Looking forward to the plot those two are setting up.

For all we know, it might lead to two Italy's. One led from Ravenna, by Odoacer, and one led from Rome, by Romulus and Remus :cool:

Brilliant as always Mattermck, hopefully you will be able to reforge some of the western Empire...best of luck. This is one of my favorite AAR's, I'm eager to see where it goes.

Lord E said:
Also that Emperor is still an unsure little boy deep within, so Remus will need to give him some lesions about the way of life if they are to get things to work ahead ;)

Okee, I don't care how much Romulus needs him. Giving the emperor lesions is treason! :D

You know the score by now from Advantages. Only the fullest application of insane reactionary-mondo-imperialism will suffice for me. Go go Romulus.

Give 'em hell

Looks like Mett is in the Eutopia forums, discussing a constitution, so updates will come less often, while he and I discuss a charter for a fictional country.

Bring back the Republic...... Only joking. ;)

A well done confrontation. The apprehension both feel came out very well. Let's just hope that this presumed emperor is more succesful than his predecessors.

More! ;)