• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fulcrumvale said:
That wouldn't exactly mollify anyone; what happens to the Remus's dynasty then? Who does he marry... It would just make things worse.
Remus isn't married, yet. His choice of bride ought to predicated on more than 'oh this one seems to be local, I'll marry her'. Remus has a Gothic campaign to fight and he can't slight the East before he participates.

His dynasty has to be established on more secure foundations.

Hesta is good choice for an empress, but perhaps a bad choice for Remus wife. She'll allways look out for her own interrest, and if she is the empress, her interrests might correspond with the empire's. Also in her Remus has a partner who's able to controll the political situation in rome, while he himself is out on campaigns. But then again, she'll allways be scheming, and that might just be too much for Remus.

Mett, is there anything you cannot do? :eek:

Character developpement, Story progression, story arcs completion. Great Scott. I think that if I were of a less sturdy constitution, I would grow faint with joy.

Hesta is built on as a character, growing from the scheming sister to the future scheming and politic-savy wife. I don't know if you aimed at that, but as I read I think I percieve a bit of affection for Remus beyond him being the way to power for her.

She might be both a good Emperess fro the Empire and a good wife for Remus yet.

Remus himself shows his more "delicate" side. He's human to the core and it shows in the way you write him. I can really sympathize with his hesitation and clumsiness with Hesta, as I too have absolutely no love life or luck with women... Oh well. :rolleyes:

Once their wedding (and wedding night, sure to be... interesting) is done, it will be time to bring down some Ostrogoths down to size. Rock on! :D

Hmm, I think Hesta is the best choice.

Even if she's a scheming aristocrat, it's now in her interest to scheme for the betterment of the Empire, which helps Remus.

Cornelia and the eastern woman can marry Selenus and R-r-regulus ;)

Very nice update Mett.

I could actually sense and feel Remus and his situation. I know I have been sceptic to Hesta before, but I think that the way she is shown in this update shows her from a different and I think a much more likable way. It seems like Remus might have done the right choice after all, I just hope she will faithful to Remus and not create any scandals, because the moment she starts to plot against him he really needs to take care of her at once…

I know I have not commented for a while, something I apologise for. :(

An awesome series of updates, Mett. I still come here every day to read updates, and every now and then I read the whole thing from the start again and I am SO impressed of how you seem to have woven in things that were there from the start into the story. Thigns makse so much more sense when you read it all in one go, which is a superb quality in my book.

I still hold that you should try to get this story published once you are done with it.

Alright, enough general praising, down to the basics. :)

Right now, the Emperorship IS the army. I think Remus has nothing to fear from the schemers of the senate. He does not really need them as long as he has the army, but they certainly need him. The only two men with real influence, Selenus and Claudius, are able and loyal men, and Clausius has proven before that he is no schemer. A Dalmatian General might, perhaps after a successful campaign against the Ostrogoths, start to gain power and desire the throne, but that is far into the future, and the way the Dalmatians submitted, I don't think they'd put a dagger into the back of the man walking in front of them, at least not until there's less enemies in front of him. Amazing how common enemies can unite otherwise infighting factions, eh? :)

The Imperial Guard is changing for the better I think. Having soldiers rotating in and out of this duty, and having it as a reward for the best and most loyal soldiers is the right way to do it. They will not be in the same place long enough to start installing their own Emperors (hopefully) and they'll be an elite reserve in the centre of the Empire in case they are needed. Also, I am sure it will serve as an inspiration and morale boost for the rest of the army ("We can be guardsmen too, if we fight and behave disciplined!").

Hesta is intelligent, strong-willed and streetsmart in the halls of the nobility. And she seems to be making a concious effort to be a good wife, or at least be on the right side of Remus, which is a good sign. She has achieved among the highest statuses she can, and she can really only become more powerful if Remus and the Empire does - meaning that allying with an Anti-Reman faction or trying to make her own would net her less power than keeping with Remus. She's smart and bound to know this, so I think she will attempt to expand her own power, and use it to help Remus in order to keep it (I don't think he'll hesitate to remove her should she be a liability, and I think she knows this too). If they can develop a friendship, political partnership and mutual trust and perhaps, even some love, although in Remus' case I'd see it more as affection, I think they would make an excellent dual Emperorship along what was used in the east, one for the politics and scheming of the home front, one for the military and all the wars, only that they are Emperor and Empress instead of two Emperors.

And Regulus plays for the other team, so I don't think he'll marry someone prominent who could complain about the lack of fulfilment of the marriage.

Excellent story Mett, looking forward tremendously to the next update.

I think you're right von Adler. Hesta would know which side her bread wsa buttered, As for Regulus, he's gotto get married or he'll become such a fiugure of ridicule that he'll lose his position of influence.

Remus has quitened Rome down by choosing one of the two Roman girls. I don't see him marrying before he goes off on campaign. By making an effective contribution against the Ostrogoths he ought to be able to choose whom he wants to marry without the alliance with the East riding on it.

Interesting choice of wife, but I think Remus may not live to regret his decision. Hestia seems like a double-edged sword. It will be interesting to see what happens if he should suffer any setbacks in the campaign against the Ostrogoths, not only to see Constantinople's reaction, but the domestic front as well. Of course, if he pulls it off flawlessly, then there's the problem of Hestia and Regulus trying to sideline Remus to be the power behind the throne...

Boring as Cornelia may be, she could've at least been relied upon to not cause trouble.

In any event, the possibilities for the future are endless and the story is great as always. :)

A wife has been picked and in the short-to-medium term I think Hestia will be a good choice for Remus. She doesn't yet have a very strong powerbase and has much to gain from an alliance with Remus. Remus will benefit as well, as her strengths in subterfuge and politicking will nicely complement his own relative weaknesses. As long as they can both get something out of it, I think this will be a good match.

In the longer term, however, if Hestia succeeds in bearing Remus a son... He might wish to invest in food tasters. Lots of them. And have Selenus brief him on the fate of the Emperor Claudius. ;)

Damn you Spot, you got me excited.

Same here ! Still anxiously waiting for the next installment of this wonderful epic :D . I do know Mett's been a bit busy lately with the Easter Season but I hope he does come by to give us a status report at least XD

Canonized's right, a lot going on with Easter, and I was waiting on VJ, who had some stuff going on. But he wrote me last week and said he's about finished a with large update. I have a couple pre-written already to follow his, so the pace should resume ok when he gets back. Thanks for everyone's patience! :)

Looking forward to those new updates. :)

Pleased to hear that! I had a few moments where I considered asking after this AAR's health, but I assumed Mett would be in control of the situation...

Looking forward to whatever's next!