• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Romulus and Barbaria have not yet learned to keep out of meddling. Selenus has delivered a friendly warning. It probably fell on deaf ears. Barbaria won't beleive Selenus and Hesta can hold the home front against her well-honed ability to intrigue with Remus away. Just who was the young woman?

Your dialogue is as excellent as always ! Very biting on each side !

Selenus clearly went out of his way to make that dire warning as soft as possible and dear petulant Romulus shows himself for the arrogant ass that he his. I fear that the hard fist of Remus shall be forced to crush what mercy he had earlier given to the fallen one and his mother. And as in the past it will be no one's fault but Romulus' own. Ah well, Rome is better off without that distraction anyway, eh?

Barbaria and Romulus still plotting, well Remus can handle that threat, and while he is gone, Hesta is quite competent in plotting herself. I do not consider these two as a immidiate danger to Remus' regime.

Everyone knows Romulus could only return as a puppet at best. He's no real threat, so it's indeed only a friendly warning. No matter the plot, Romulus is likely to die even if his side wins.

Well, finally reached the end of this AAR and I must say that I find it to be an outstanding effort to say the least. I especially like how you fused some elements from the life of general Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo for the highly plausible character which is Remus. Also, a very interesting twist regarding the "boy" emperor, perpetually overcome by events, perpetually within reach of his goals yet failing only due to his own nature. New stalker gained. ;) Eagerly awaiting an update!

Great to see Selenus show the Lady and her silly son that now he is the one in power and they are just trouble. So I take it this wasn’t a friendly visits, but instead Selenus wanted to show Romulus and the lady that they shouldn’t be plotting against Remus, something I am sure they are doing. I can understand Remus’s wish for keeping them alive, but on the other side I think it would be safer and better to make sure they can’t plot ever again. Still doing something permanent to them might still become necessary in the future so I guess we shall just have to wait and see…

Nice update Mett :)

Fulcrumvale: I guess it's a sign of how far Selenus' come, good and bad.

Chief Ragusa: The young woman referred to Barbaria when she was younger, and when Selenus was much more gullible. Oh yes, more meddling!

canonized: Thanks, I like to be able to convey much with conversation...hopefully I achieved the right effect.

Draco Rexus: I think sometimes about whether Romulus is broken in spirit and his mother pulls him along, or vice versa...

yourworstnightm: Very true....makes you wonder just who considers them a threat. How do you drop someone off on an island with no harbor? Rowboat I guess? :)

Avernite: Leaves him open for false hopes and manipulation, doesn't it?

Vandervecken: Hey thanks, glad to have you aboard! Yes, I've always liked Corbulo's story...

Lord E: You would be a ruthless emperor...;)

imperatorfn8.jpg

“This will not be the type of campaign you are used to, Imperator,” Viator said, still hunched over the campaign table. His gruff voice and bearing were evident signs that he was one of the few who could speak boldly in the emperor’s presence, at least without fear or calculation. He had earned that right with his key support and it was reflected in his strategic appointment as Dux Dalmatica. “Sending two legions overland might seem a careful path, yet…”

“I did not say I was sending both overland, Dux,” Remus said pointedly, though with a twinkle in his right eye. “I ordered the Third to move two days ago by way of Aquileia. I have plans for that port and it’ll do good to show the flag to the local citizens, let them know that the barbarians are truly gone. It’ll also clear a route of supply if it comes to that. The Fourth, once Claudius finishes its retraining, will embark from Ancona and Ravenna for…Salona,” he said, his finger following his train of thought on the map. Ravenna’s port, once the greatest in Hadriatic, had been largely destroyed during Claudius’ siege and was only just beginning to be repaired. Lesser points, such as Ancona, would be have to utilized.

The old Claudian army, veteran as it was, had been remodeled into the Reman mode over the past months, divided into three multam legions: the III Calor, consisting of the oldest crack soldiers in that force, and the IV and V Italica, each approaching five thousand in number, accounting for prisoner recruits, both barbarian and Roman. There were also new drafts of young citizens just coming of age, Italia’s youngest generation being sapped for war. It was an unpopular measure, and one which he was tired of hearing about when he attended Senatorial sessions.

viator1vw2.jpg
“Glycerius’ old stomping ground?”

“Vero,” Remus said with a raised eyebrow.

“I knew the Bishop a little. General Ovida detested his type, always plotting for his lost throne.”

“Odoacer led him into the perfect trap so I never got to know the man.” The memory made him drift into the past, to the time when yet another exiled emperor had fallen through, leaving him one last choice: the boy Romulus. What sort of man would Glycerius have been if he had managed to take the throne? He was known to be a plotter, a churchman in name only, and not much of a commander in the field. Another Romulus, then? It didn’t matter now. Fortune had made Remus take power for himself, which perhaps he should’ve done all along.

“What I meant was,” Viator cut in, “Glycerius was an orderly exile, if too ambitious for his own good. You’ll find Salona’s port in decent condition. What of the season? Do you fear the risk?”

interior1bn6.jpg
Dismissively, Remus paced away from the map, his boots echoing on the bare stone floor. “Roman armies traditionally feared movement by sea, dreading the pagan gods who governed the waters. These are more enlightened times, yet the superstition lingers I’m sure. This will make a fine point and the journey across the Hadriatic is short. Besides, it will make practice for Africa.” In his mind, it was a trade off, assisting his new Roman ally with crushing what was left of the Ostrogoths in Pannonia in exchange for recapturing Africa Province. There would be even worse heat there.

“And no doubt your enemies won’t expect such a swift move,” Viator noticed shrewdly. “You mean to go head on then? I have to admit I thought you’d strike the Danuvius and roll up the Goths steadily.” His tone seemed torn between wariness and admiration.

Remus nodded absently, already running calculations in his head, of men and materials. “It would be the safe play, certainly. And no doubt what Theodoric expects. But he’s wanted revenge since our last clash and I intend to dangle it for him. Besides, a strike against Sirmium will end this war quickly. Then I can turn to Africa and bring this empire back into form.”

“Just so you understand this type of fighting. You won’t have the open terrain for set piece battles, Imperator. Your heavy cavalry will be too cumbersome and of little use. It’s light cavalry and if need be, the infantry when it comes to that. You’ll have to choose between quick maneuvers up mountain passes and a bludgeoning attack when facing an obstacle.”

remus2tn7.jpg
“Is that how you and Ovida did it?” Remus had studied as much as he could of the Dalmatian defense against Ostrogoth and Roman attacks from the north and east, and had picked this general’s brain clean. Though little known outside military circles, the years of constant mountain warfare against invading armies had earned the Dalmatians a fierce reputation and grudging respect from their Italian comrades. It was primarily for this reason that the Dalmatian Legion, Viator’s own mountain troops, would never have a legion number. They would also spearhead the coming campaign.

“In reverse, yes. You’ll need the right combination of caution and decisiveness,” Viator added, his eyes studying his ruler intently, gauging whether his words would be heeded. “At times you’ll have to attack frontally and other times avoid such a blow at all costs.” The Dux was old, though his eyes still showed some spirit. His dress was less fashionable than some of the Italian officers, practical for use in the field rather than for show. Even with his new rank, the general was used to months spent away from cities or other such luxuries. It was a perspective Remus was glad to have.

Not responding directly to the general’s pointed remarks, Remus returned to the map and stood next to Viator, keeping quiet for a time. Despite the fatigue he felt, it was invigorating to be back in the field, planning his next campaign. Mediolanum was hardly the field, of course, yet it was leagues closer to Pannonia and the Ostrogoths. And far enough away from the tendrils of Rome…and politics. Politics, his brain repeated. There was never an escape…

“If I were to sweep into the Danuvius from the west, it would take months, rolling up each fortified settlement and enemy detachment as I went. By the time I met Anastasius’ promised army, it might be at Aquincum or even Vindobona.”

“So striking Sirmium is about securing those provinces for the West?” Viator asked, frowning. They both hated the political considerations as much as the other.

“Possession is the key, Dux,” Remus agreed reluctantly. ”Sirmium is the gateway to the upper Danuvius. If I secure that early, I can give the East their victory, reclaim Noricum and Pannonia in quick succession, and it’s on to Sicily and Carthage.” Reclaiming the provinces and arriving at a permanent settlement with Anastasius would be separate matters, however.

“If Theodoric cooperates,” Viator added quietly. “That dustup in Venetia was a scarce victory, Imperator,” he added. Remus well know this, having taken significant losses in bringing the Gothic King to bear, the first foe who had been able to slow down his heavy cavalry.

Their conversation was soon interrupted by the piercing sound of a spear slamming the stone, a Custodiae marking the latest interruption. “The Augusta,” he announced, his expression a mask.

Hesta swept in, her eyes alight, taking in the vast rounded chamber, completely devoid of decoration save the large wooden table with a map and two generals. Her lips curled in bemusement at the sight and quickly she approached Remus and bowed. “My lord,” she murmured.

Remus studied his wife for a moment before glancing at Viator, who nodded in understanding, rolling up the vellum and departing with a click of his boots and a bow. Generals weren’t bent on ceremonial. A ruler and his wife however…

He nodded to Hesta, who was a study in decorum, her robes bright yet tasteful, conformed to give an impression of control and dignity with only a hint of power. “Wife,” he said by way of acknowledgment. He was still uneasy about her presence in Mediolanum, not because he disliked her presence – far from it sometimes – but because she undermined his ability to run his headquarters as he saw fit. This ruined city would be as far as she could go, he had made abundantly clear, and she seemed satisfied with that. Hesta had the disturbing notion that Mediolanum was an imperial city, not a military headquarters.

hestaez8.jpg
“The guard made an awfully loud bang, milord,” she said casually, intertwining her arm with his and gently pulling him away from the table. It was a habit, and if they rarely spoke informally, even in private, she insisted on a modicum of affection. He rarely objected anyhow. “I thought the floor would be done this morning?”

Remus sighed and resigned himself to more domestic matters, at least for a moment. Part of him felt he owed it to her, some obligation of marriage, even if he’d rather finish his briefing with the Dux Viator. “They came this morning with that scarlet vessel of war,” he said wryly, thinking of the poor fools who had had to lug it into the room, only to incur the imperial wrath at interrupting more serious matters. “I sent them away. There’s plenty of time for that after we break camp.”

“You’ll have to face such decorations when you return,” she said with a small laugh. “It’s an inevitability you can’t escape. Of course, that isn’t the real reason I intruded so openly,” Hesta said, smirking. “Aside from the obvious pleasure at spending a few moments with my husband, I wanted to discuss a few matters about the residence, and some of the layouts for the nearby thoroughfares…”

“Can’t it wait?” Remus growled, not wishing to be dragged into another discussion about Mediolanum’s layout. Part of the reason he had shifted his headquarters from Rome to Mediolanum was to escape the stifling grasp of domesticity. The Senate, the courtiers, the clergy, his wife, were all yapping at his heels like puppies, begging favors from their master. It was one of the aspects of power he detested the most, and why he had delegated much to those like Regulus or Selenus who prospered in such settings. The balance in the bureaucracy between Regulus and Genucius, the debate over the Lupercalia or chariot racing, the dimensions of the bedroom mosaics, all of this drove him to distraction. Mediolanum, gutted by several battles in recent decades, was essentially a giant walled encampment, with few standing structures left. Most of the remaining had been torn down when Remus led his army against one of the last Italian strongholds, breaking Odoacer’s hold in the north.

With no public baths, hardly any running water, and no theater or forum, it was a place that attracted few of the indulgent aristocrats who preferred the charms of restored Rome. Secretly, he feared that if Hesta remained and brought these amenities back to Mediolanum, the court would naturally follow, barking all the while with their latest proposals. Thus far, his only concession to civil considerations was permission to build a new church dedicated to the late Ambrose of note. Laurentius – Caelius Laurentius, who was not to be confused with Mediolanum’s own Bishop, Laurentius Litta – had dropped hints on the matter. Remus, who had come to adopt Laurentius as a kind of personal confessor and who appreciated the priest’s running interference with the rest of the clergy, granted the favor. He persuaded Regulus to loosen some funds from the Treasury with minimal fuss, and already a fine foundation had been laid. It was said to be larger than the church in Constantinople, the one in honor of Sophia. Annaeus’ reports were no doubt sparking calls to tear that one down and build an even grander Hagia Sophia. Such was faith in competition, he mused.

Hesta, however, was another matter. She had entered his life like a maelstrom, and certainly - in private - he would admit that her curls preoccupied him from time to time. And there was something to be said for holding something soft during the dark nights. What she excelled in, however, was purpose and control. Remus had been happy to cede most of the menial tasks to her aspirations, leaving her to govern the household staff, from chamberlains to cleaning. With that auspicious beginning, she soon graduated to hearing some of the lesser pleas from those who came to beg favors from the Imperator. Dealing with the concerns of small merchants, for example, or even those citizens fortunate enough to attain an audience, was something he had little patience with. And naturally, her eyes had alighted on architecture and the other comforts of imperial life. In some ways, Remus viewed her as a partner in some of the lesser governance, somewhat aggressive with her ideas, yet companionable.

Such as now, for instance. If he wasn’t so preoccupied with the urgency of preparing his army for war, he might’ve liked to stay with her a bit longer, enjoying the feeling of arm on arm. Not now, however. “Oh very well,” he sighed, anticipating her objections. Her smiles were always too cryptic to read, and he simply didn’t have the time. “They can put in the grand carpet tonight, if it suits you,” he said, his eyes weary even thinking of it. “I’m leaving for Aquileia tomorrow,” he said, as if that had been his original plan. “You’ll be returning to Rome then?”

“Of course not,” Hesta giggled, pulling him closer. “I have more plans for this city, dear husband. Which brings me to another question, and then I’ll let you return to your war. It concerns the Via Aemilia…”

Hmmm , generalship still retains as much of its interlocution with leadership and rightly so . It must weigh heavily on our Imperator

Remus is most certainly a Solider-Emperor. I find his lack of patience for administration and politics deeply worrisome—the army cannot function without a solid state feeding, clothing and equipping it, and Remus seems to have delegated nearly all of that. For now it seems to be working, but it’s setting a bad precedent…

Remus is indeed more a general than an emperor. Hopefully his lack of interrest in administration won't lead to his downfall. He is lucky to have skilled people like Selenus, Hesta and Regulus at his side.

My guess is that Remus wants to keep Mediolanum as austere as possible and make it his soldier city. Remus does have immediate concerns that the Empire he has won is defended by enough native soldiers. Native Romans haven't provided that many troops in recent years: he's got to remilitarize Roman society.

I can fully understand Remus feeling of relief now that he has returned to the field, although I guess it would be even better if he managed to get even further away from Rome and his wife. It sounds like he has developed feeling for her, but I still think he will enjoy returning to the life of a soldier. I can understand Remus dislike for all administrative things about carpets and houses etc, but he needs to remember that to keep an army running he needs a working society at home, but then again I guess Remus has very able people to take care off the home front while he is at the frontline. Selenus certainly won’t let him down, but I fear that there are few others who can be fully trusted…

Mettermrck said:
Lord E: You would be a ruthless emperor...;)

Hehe that might be, but I hope that being ruthless would keep me on the throne for a long time while all the enemies of the empire perform their last duty to the empire in the dungeons, in the coliseum or at the frontline shielding more valuable troops ;)

I find myself having a worrying gnawing in the pit of my stomach...

I fear Remus' growing distancing from daily matters in favor of purely military matters. I echo Fulcrumvale's concern over our Imperator's following of the Empire's logistics. However, perhaps what we don't read about is going on in the background?

I fear Remus' planned future conquests. It seems he sees victory in the Balkans as a foregone conclusion that makes a stepping stone to Africa. I am all in favor of having a long term strategic goal, what fool wouldn't, but I'm concerned as Remus is coming across as almost overconfident that he will be able to bring his legions to Africa, i.e. you don't fight tomorrow's battles before winning today's, eh?

Finally, something is striking me wrong about our Imperator's wife. Almost too calculating, as if she might just be perhaps planning a long term goal of her own? One that doesn't involve our dear Remus as Imperator? I wish not to think ill of the lady, but...

All that aside... on with the show Mett!

Maybe Hesta plans to marry Selenus next, hmm?

Also, yes I am slow in finding this ;)

But a nice update nonetheless. When are we reaching Avalon again? :D

Avernite said:
Maybe Hesta plans to marry Selenus next, hmm?

Also, yes I am slow in finding this ;)

But a nice update nonetheless. When are we reaching Avalon again? :D

What does it matter :D . We're delving into the fascinating Balkan wilderness. Maybe we'll even get Adrianopole all over again as a revenge battle for the Romans. I'm sure Mett has his divine plan for Avalon. ;)

Wait, is that an angry mob I hear gathering in the distance?