• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prufrock451 said:
Atlantic.gif
In southern Germany, France was allowed to temporarily retain a strip of land in western Bavaria. In eastern Germany, the Silesian region was placed under Polish military government. The western half of East Prussia and Danzig were annexed by Poland outright. Pressure mounted on the US government to allow the wholesale deportation of the Silesian Germans and that region's annexation by Poland.

In the last days of Nazi rule in Poland, a few Gauleiters and SS commanders engaged in a frenzy of atrocities. Thankfully, most of the Nazi regime's most dedicated followers had already retreated into Bavaria, but what had happened was enough to trigger a furious reaction. In several instances, American MPs had to restrain Polish mobs from beating or killing Germans. Acts of arson and terrorism sprung up throughout occupied Silesia. In the end, most of Silesia's four million Germans ended up leaving voluntarily, and the American military government set up a massive fund to aid the refugees. The same process was repeated in the Sudetenland. Konigsberg was a special case; since the population (especially after an influx of Gerrman refugees) was overwhelmingly non-Polish, the American government took direct control. The final status of Konigsberg was deferred, and the city became the main military base for eighteen US divisions. Another eighteen were sent to replace French and Allied peacekeepers throughout Germany.

These political concerns were pushed out of the headlines in America, however, by the events of July, 1940...
Too bad Germany ended up amputated yet again. I can understand that the Poles would annex Danzig, and that the Sudetenland issue would get resolved violently, and finally.

But what happened to the eastern border of Poland and Romania, and why the sweeping annexations in Silesia and Pomerania? Did Uncle Joe keep his booty from the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and deport the inhabitants of the annexed areas?

Ah and that bit of Germany under French authority is actually part of Baden, not Bavaria. Bavaria is further to the east. :)

What is going to become of Germany? Will you release them as a democratic puppet nation, will you install the FRG? Or perhaps the leftist GDR? (I've never seen that flag in HoI AARs!) They both get leaders and cabinets after 1940. The FRG has a shriekingly yellow color, and a nicer flag than the usual Germany :p

I take it that was Hitler getting snuffed? Gripping, dramatic scene (still would have preferred a trial, though). Is France going to make the news known, or is his death kept a secret?

Now what happens in July?

How did Spain turn out? If it's Republican, it may be interested in joining the Atlantic pact. Or did it go fascist or communist?

Finland is probably a likely alliance candidate too, since it appears they lost the Winter War.

And a China situation post would be nice.

Nice movement along with the story. Quite interested in how this is going to proceed snice as MVB mentioned, it's only 1940. Do I sense a slow build up of forces for operations against Uncle Joe and the Soviets?

The final status of Konigsberg was deferred, and the city became the main military base for eighteen US divisions
:cool:

Mike: If I tell you what shenanigans I'm planning, it'll just ruin the AAR for you.

Moshe (;)): Spain fell to the Fascists. And Finland appears to be uninterested in joining another war at the moment. A fuller account of doings on the Soviet border coming soon.

Stuy: Yes. And you'll see what happens in July when I get to July!

Draco: I'm not telling!

Cripes, guys, why don't you just ask me how it ends? :D

Originally Posted by Prufrock451
Cripes, guys, why don't you just ask me how it ends? :D

Okay, I'll ask. So, Pru, how does it end? Happily ever after? :D ;)

*read a long, long pause while he listens intently.*

Oh, is that how it ends. Cool. Can't wait to read how you get there! :D

April 5, 1940

Hopkins held the report up. "The FBI and the OSS both agree, sir. They're undeniably Hitler's teeth."

Roosevelt nodded sourly. "That's the only undeniable thing in that story. I know- I just know in my gut- that de Gaulle had the man killed. Without discussing it with me or Churchill or even President Reynaud."

"What are we going to do about it?"

President Roosevelt took a long pull of his cigarette, flipping through papers. "Nothing, Harry."

"Nothing? No further investigation, nothing?"

"Nothing."

Hopkins stared in disbelief. "If you're right, sir, then we're talking about the biggest French scandal since the Dreyfus Affair! We're talking about something so major-"

"-That I can't afford to ignore it?" Roosevelt looked up, steel in his expression. "Precisely, Harry. At the moment, I can afford to ignore it. I can afford to rely on the French military, to leave thirty divisions in Europe and bring another sixty home." He plucked his cigarette from its holder and dug out his case for a fresh one. "Besides-" he paused to puff, blowing smoke rings at the Oval Office's ceiling- "a studious silence from me will alert the French much more effectively of my suspicions. They'll go crazy waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Hopkins blinked. "And will it?"

Roosevelt grinned. "I swear, Harry. You've been working with me for years and sometimes I feel like I explain every situation to you like you were walking in for the first time."

Hopkins snorted. "The next time you explain yourself to me will be the first."

Roosevelt laughed, grinning hard. "Point and match! And here's the booby prize- the truth!" Roosevelt leaned forward. "We're on the move again soon, Harry. You know what I mean. I need a favor from the French. I need a favor, and a trial for a dead man is infinitely less important."

Hopkins' blood ran cold. "You don't mean-"

Roosevelt nodded. "I do." He pulled on his cigarette, suddenly quiet and grave. He pointed. "Get me Lindbergh. Get him in here at this desk with incredible speed and in total secrecy." He leaned back, rubbing his neck. Hopkins left the room, dizzy. He'd guessed enough, working with Roosevelt, to know what was coming. Best to just think about the task at hand and let someone else shoulder the burden of conscience.

Hitler maybe, but Im sure there are still other Nazi leaders around.

Im no longer worried about the Nazis though. Im thinking Japan might be about to experience a short sharp kick to the backside. And if not them, then someone :)

therev said:
Lindbergh - doesn't he have some sympathy for Germany? Maybe he will be used to seek the establishment of a Democratic German Republic?

Still think the Japanese are going to be in for a shock.

That of course would leave the real threat Russia with the US and aliies at front and back doors.

Lindbergh was more isolationist than pro-Nazi, though there was an element of it (at least until Pearl Harbor). I think he's about to pay a visit to Japan. The relocation of troops to North America means either the Great Pacific War or mucking around in Latin America, and nothing in the AAR so far really justifies the latter. Afterwards, the USSR and Italy, and maybe a few other dictatorships (Spain? Portugal? Argentina?), are probably on the hit list. Or maybe we will see the effective use of coups...

As for an independent Germany- the pros are another (potentially powerful and very well located) ally. The problem is that Prufrock surely wants to occupy and reorganize the USSR himself, rather than extending Germany or Poland to the Pacific. One way to do this is by invading the Baltics, then Leningrad, then Moscow from the staging ground of occupied East Prussia, then swinging south.

The other potential method, which I think Pruf should consider, is to restore Germany (1990 borders plus East Prussia and maybe minus Baden, though I think it should be returned to Germany). Then, he could launch his initial blitz into the Soviet Union, and finally edit the border provinces in the save file to be American occupied. Though a little more complicated, this allows him to make use of a large, high tech, and relatively available German army, rather than having Adenauer's democratic Germany appear to late for anything but the mopping up in Italy.

Actually, Germany isn't the problem. If he releases Germany, Germany will be a puppet and therefore all moves America makes would be land conquered by the United States. The problem is POLAND! Poland is an ally and not a puppet, so any land conquered in the USSR would go to them :(

I say edit the game and puppet them. Considering you saved them, they owe you something, like a completely loyal regime ;)

Hitler Dead by '40?
Now this is getting interesting..... going to release the American War Machine on Japan, now? (And I'm sure you haven't forgotten those dirty commies, either. :D )

Atruejedi said:
Actually, Germany isn't the problem. If he releases Germany, Germany will be a puppet and therefore all moves America makes would be land conquered by the United States. The problem is POLAND! Poland is an ally and not a puppet, so any land conquered in the USSR would go to them :(

I say edit the game and puppet them. Considering you saved them, they owe you something, like a completely loyal regime ;)

Judging by Poland's borders they were conquered by Germany and then Prufrock released them as a puppet...

General Dayan said:
The other potential method, which I think Pruf should consider, is to restore Germany (1990 borders plus East Prussia and maybe minus Baden, though I think it should be returned to Germany). Then, he could launch his initial blitz into the Soviet Union, and finally edit the border provinces in the save file to be American occupied. Though a little more complicated, this allows him to make use of a large, high tech, and relatively available German army, rather than having Adenauer's democratic Germany appear to late for anything but the mopping up in Italy.
Well, he wiped out the German army and annexed the country. So neither a released German Reich (
de1871.gif
), a released Federal Republic of Germany (
de.gif
) nor a released German Democratic Republic (
de-ddr.gif
) would have a starting army. They'd all have to build it from scratch, right?

They all do have leaders, ministers and industries though. (Here's a fun idea: He could release all three - the FRG (
de.gif
) and GDR in their historic post-1949 borders, and the German Reich (
de1871.gif
) as a sort of sanctuary for closet Nazis in east Prussia. (Would require editing the revolt file to remove the rest of Germany from the Reich's core provinces.) :D )

Personally, I would favor releasing it all as the FRG (
de.gif
). That is the democratic Germany, after all, with the democratic flag which was used until 1933 and with a democratic government. This would also prevent potentially bothersome events which were meant to affect the third reich from triggering for a US-puppeted German Reich (
de1871.gif
). Like, having them declare war on the USSR or other countries all by themselves.

Loose ends, loose ends!

Hitler is dead, but there are Nazi leaders still floating around. What happened to Ribbentrop and Himmler in Sweden? Where is Bormann?

Why was Poland turned into an American puppet, but Germany not? What of the Polish claims on land annexed by the Soviets? What will happen to the Konigsberg zone, including the port of Memel?

What will Roosevelt do with the sixty divisions steaming back to Boston? With the American fleet (which lost only two destroyer squadrons while annihilating the Luftflotte)? What does he have planned, and what does Lindbergh have to do with it?

What happened on July 12, 1940? How will it affect American policy and Roosevelt's controversial run for a third term in office?

[singsong voice] I know and youuuuuu don't! [/singsong voice]