+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to make a MP game run from a client save

Zealot Crybaby Troll Jarkko Suvinen's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

How to make a MP game run from a client save

It has been tested before, and it has been verified: It is impossible to play a MP game from a client save (ie when the host has crashed).

Or that is what was believed! Now, because of the genious of hansmaa we all can live in the happy knowledge that a client save *CAN* be used. It needs a bit fixing tough.

HOW TO EDIT A CLIENT SAVE SO THAT IT WORKS IN A MP?

The client save points to a .eug.cfg file. According to Hans' theory this is the reason the client save can not be used to host a new MP, as the .eug.cfg file is faulty. His theory has been tested and found to be true

EXAMPLE

Let us assume the host plays Polotsk and one of the clients play Tolouse. The host crash, unable to save. The Tolouse player however do make a save, but it will not work for a MP (it has been tested). Let's assume this save is called Duchy of Toulouse_1080_March_22.eug

The host needs to edit (with Notepad for example) the 11th line of the file*, which says
    Code:
     optionfile = "scenarios\save games\Duchy of Toulouse_1080_March_22.eug.cfg"
    to a line from a previous (working) host save. Let's say the host has a file that is called 1078_May_18.eug, from there he need to copy the line that says
    Code:
    optionfile = "scenarios\save games\1078_May_18.eug.cfg"
    and paste it in place of the optionfile = "scenarios\save games\Duchy of Toulouse_1080_March_22.eug.cfg"

Then the host launch the game again with this edited client save, and it runs like a charm!

*The host obviously first need the file. He can get it for example from the client through e-mail or if the client hosts the game for the host (if you understand what I mean...).
    Last edited by Jarkko Suvinen; 28-06-2005 at 06:53. Reason: Spelling errors
    I prefer the term differently rational.

Resident Opportunist King of Men's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I was banned from religion threads before it was cool. And after it was cool.
    Brilliant work! Well done, hansmaa.

Stickification, perhaps?
    MP Megacampaigns :
    The Great Game: CK, EU2, EU2 stats, Vicky, Doomsday.
    There Will Be War: CK, EU3, Vicky, Arma.
    Children of the Fatherland: Crusader Kings. Divine Wind I II Victoria 2
    Final update 22-January-2013: Final Overview
    God Will Know His Own: CK2 EU3

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Quote Originally Posted by King of Men
    Brilliant work! Well done, hansmaa.

Stickification, perhaps?
    Yes! Stickification for this one piece of brilliant masterwork.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Zealot Crybaby Troll Jarkko Suvinen's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

One more addition. It may be necessary to launch the edited MP file in SP for one day. This should be done if there is an empty shield. It gets corrected after one day pass, so the host saves it, then host it up to others.
    I prefer the term differently rational.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black Plague
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Am I wrong or does it work if you just copy the .eug file (to each client and the server)? At least I never have done anything else and it works since the release...

+ Reply to Thread